Fan rules for greenskinz (and IJ)

kenshin620

With Greenskinz most likely getting squatted (or somehow getting a hidden rebox....yea probably not likely) I just thought of some (probably) imbalanced ways to give them a proper orcy allegiance (well it's more like IJ revamp with normal greenskinz being the cheap chaff, but chaff that can pack a punch!).

Basically boils down to massive point cuts, buffed bravery, revamped artefacts and traits, magic and prayers. It's not too well thought out, I basically replaced IRONJAW keywords with ORRUK for example.

It is probably way more OP than I think it is but this was more of a thought experiment. In memorium of the OG Orcs, I mean come on how can you look at this art and not feel bad the old orcs are going the way of the old gobbos!

Spoiler

adrian_smith_orc_boyz.jpg

The Orruk Waaagh’s of Gorkamorka (Faction Keyword: Orruk Waaagh)

Made up of Greenskinz and Ironjawz

Allegiance Abilities

Spoiler

Dead ‘Ard: All IRONJAW units may roll a D6 after any time they suffer a Mortal Wound. On a 6, that wound is ignored.

Eager for Battle: Units may roll 3D6 when making Run Moves and Charges, discarding the lowest.

Mob Rule: When a unit takes a battleshock test, add 2 instead of 1 to its Bravery characteristic for every 10 models in the unit.

Get Stuck In: For every combat round beyond the first that an Orruk Waagah unit is in, increase the range characteristic of all of its melee weapons by +1” to a maximum of 3”. (this represents the orruks ability to get really close and fighty, getting right into enemy formations)

Command Traits

Orruk Traits (so both greenskinz and ironjawz)

Spoiler

Hulking Boss: You can re-roll wound rolls of 1 for attacks made with this general’s melee weapons.

Cunning Boss: You can re-roll hit rolls of 1 for attacks made with this general’s melee weapons.

Scarred Boss: The general gains +1 to their Wound characteristic. In addition, due to the sheer intimidation of his battle scars, friendly Orruk units wholly within 12” of the general gain +1 to their Bravery characteristic.

Shouty Boss: Once per game, the general may use a command ability without spending a command point.

Boar Boss: All friendly BOAR and GORE GRUNTA units wholly within 12” +1 attack to their Mount’s attack characteristic.

Mean Boss: Enemy units within 12” suffer -1 to their Bravery characteristic. Enemy units within 3” suffer -2 to their Bravery characteristic instead.

Ironjaw Traits

Spoiler

Brutish Cunning: Unchanged

Bestial Charisma: Unchanged

Prophet of the Waaagh! : Increase the range of any Command Abilities the general uses by 6”. (For example, the Megaboss’ Waaagh! Command ability becomes wholly within 18”.)

Ironclad: Add +1 to the general’s armour save characteristic.

Heavy Line Breaker: Friendly ORRUK units wholly within 12” of the general may pile in an additional +1” and can attack units within 4”.

Mighty ‘Ead Butt: During the combat phase when the general is making attacks, roll a D6 and pick an enemy model within 3” and within Line of Sight of the general. On a 5+, that model suffers a Mortal Wound.

Orruk Artefacts

Spoiler

Battle Axe of the Last Waaagh! : Pick one of the bearer’s melee weapons. Once per game when the bearer is making attacks, you may increase the attack characteristic of that weapon by D6 until the end of the phase.

Screamin Choppa: Pick one of the bearer’s melee weapons. Improve the weapon’s To Wound roll by +1 and the Rend characteristics by 1 for every enemy HERO within 6” of the bearer.

Da Best Basha: Pick one of the bearer’s melee weapons. Improve the weapon’s To Hit roll by +1 and that weapon never suffers negative To Hit modifiers.

Armour of Mork: Any time the bearer suffers a mortal wound, roll a D6. On a 4+, that mortal wound is ignored. However if the bearer rolls a 1, the armour breaks and cannot be used again for the rest of the game.

Big Boss Finkin ‘At: At the start of the game, gain D3 Command Points. In addition, if the bearer is your general, you may choose to replace its Command Trait with a different one at the start of the game.

Great Banner of Gorkamorka: Add +3” to any Charge moves made by ORRUK units wholly within 12” of the bearer.

Shaman Artefacts (Wizards only)

Spoiler

Great Skull Wand: Pick one of the bearer’s melee weapons. Improve the weapon’s attack characteristic and the damage characteristic by 1.  

Idol of Mork: Once per game when the bearer is casting a spell, it may roll 4D6, discarding 2 of them.

Idol of Gork: Increase the range of the Power of the Waaagh! ability to 24”. However if the casting or unbinding roll is a double, then the closest Orruk unit other than the bearer within 24” suffers D6 Mortal Wounds.

Ironjaw Artefacts

Spoiler

Armour of Gork: Unchanged

Destroyer: In addition, if the To Wound roll made by that weapon was a natural 6, increase the damage characteristic by 2 instead.

Daubing of Mork: Change to Increase the model’s Dead ‘Ard rolls to 5+.

The Golden Toof: Unchanged.

Metal Rippa’s Klaw: In addition, any model wounded but not slain by this weapon permanently lowers its Armour Save characteristic by 1 for the rest of the game (so a 4+ becomes 5+, and so on). A model may only be affected by this ability once.

The Boss Skewer: Unchanged.

Lore of the Big Waaagh!

Spoiler

Fists of Gork (Casting Value 4): If successfully cast, the Wizard gains +1 to Hit, To Wound, and may reroll any damage dice until the start of your next HERO phase.

‘Ere We Go! (casting value 5): If successfully cast, pick a friendly ORRUK unit wholly within 12” of the caster. That unit may reroll Run moves and Charge moves until the end of the turn. In addition if that unit is in combat, it may be chosen to attack first, even if it normally would not.

Bash ‘Em Ladz! (casting value 6): If successfully cast, pick a friendly ORRUK unit wholly within 12” of the caster. That unit gains +1 To Wound on its attacks until the end of the turn.

Gaze of Gork (Casting Value 7): If successfully cast, pick an enemy unit within 6" of the caster that is visible to them. That unit suffers 2D3 Mortal Wounds.

Mork’s Eadbutt (Casting Value 8): If successfully cast, pick an enemy model within 18" of the caster that is visible to them and roll a D6. On a 1-2, that model suffers a Mortal Wound. On a 3-5, that model suffers D3 Mortal Wounds. On a 6, that model suffers D6 Mortal Wounds.

WAAAGH! (Casting value 9): If successfully cast, the caster immediately may use the WAAAGH! command ability. This does not cost a command point.

Prayers of the Waaagh! (All Prayers last until the start of your next HERO Phase)

Spoiler

Tough it Out!: Select a friendly ORRUK unit wholly within 16” of the Priest. That unit gains the Dead ’Ard rule. If it already has that rule, you may reroll failed Dead ‘Ard rolls instead.

Waaagh Fueled Weapons: Select a friendly ORRUK unit wholly within 8” of the Priest. For every To Hit roll of an unmodified 6, that unit may make an additional attack with the same weapon. These additional attacks do not generate additional attacks.

Gorkamorka’s Favor: Select a friendly ORRUK model wholly within 6” of the priest. That model gains +1 To Hit, To Wound, and may reroll Damage rolls.

Spoiler

Lower Orruk Warboss to 120

Lower Orruk Great Shaman to 100

Add Orruk Warboss on Boar as separate option for 140 (mounted on boar, gain BOAR keyword, add +1 Wound)

Add Orruk Great Shaman on Boar as separate option for 110 (mounted on boar, gain BOAR keyword, add +1 Wound)

Lower Orruk Warboss on Wyvern to 210

Lower Orruks to 70/220

Lower Orruk Boarboyz to 90/300

Lower Orruk Boar Chariot to 60

Lower Gordrakk to 520

Lower Orruk Megaboss on Mawkrusha to 420

Lower Orruk Megaboss to 130

Lower Orruk Weirdnob Shaman to 110

Lower Orruk Ard Boyz to 140/400

Lower Orruk Brutes to 160/550

Gore Gruntas gain Horde cost of 500

Misc Rules

Spoiler

Change any mentioning of IRONJAW units/models for command abilities, artefacts, command traits, and special abilities to ORRUK WAAAGH units/models.

Waaagh! and Mega Waaagh! Command Abilities do not stack (a model may only be affected by one of these abilities at one time). They last until the start of your next HERO Phase.

Replace Megaboss Waaagh! with the one from the Orruk Warboss.

Orruk Megaboss on a Mawkrusha gains “Waaagh! Wave”: Whenever a friendly model uses the Mega Waaagh! Command Ability, you may roll a D6 and choose a friendly model wholly within 18” that has the Waaagh! Command Ability. On a 5+, that model may use the Waaagh! Command Ability without spending a Command Point. (this represents the increasing power of the waaagh. While they may not stack, this allows you to cover nearly the entire board with waaagh'ed orruks)

Warchanters gain the PRIEST keyword and gain Prayers in an Orruk Waaagh allegiance. Works on a 4+.

Boar Boyz and Boar Chariots are BATTLELINE if the army is Orruk Waaagh

Brutes, Ard Boyz, and Gore Gruntas are BATTLINE if the army is Orruk Waaagh with an IRONJAW General

Terrain

Spoiler

Da Waaagh! Tower

Da Biggest Waaagh! Banner: All ORRUK units wholly within 18” of the terrain count as being under the effects of a Waaagh! Banner (see Orruk Warboss) and may reroll failed Battleshock tests.

Gorkamorka’s Beacon: Warchanters wholly within 18” of the terrain may reroll failed Prayer rolls.

Haven't really thought of endless spells yet. I guess the Foot of Gork can become a proper ES.

Please no, fan rules are only appropriate for playing in the garage. Why do we need to pretend to be rules writers.

Here straight from GW: "There are a total of ten classic miniatures included in this bundle. You've only got one week to get these models before they disappear into the mists of time once more, so hurry! This could be your only chance to own a classic...

Rules for these models can be found via the Warhammer Legends page, available here."

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/ENG_WH_Legends_Orcs_Goblins.pdf

I rather like what you’ve done there, I’m no playtester but they seem like sensible changes with the right flavour.  I think you’ve also bought into how GW uses  Allegiance abilities to tinker with and update factions.   

I’m not sure Greenskinz will be getting the full Legends treatment. In terms of the old models probably but I’ve a sting suspicion we’ll be getting something else to fill the hole, something Green involving the artists formal know as Greenskinz and Gitmob. Orruks do get mention in both Ironjawz and Bonesplitterz battletomes, quite important mention in Bonesplitterz as well. 

5 hours ago, svnvaldez said:

Please no, fan rules are only appropriate for playing in the garage. Why do we need to pretend to be rules writers.

That’s unfair, especially as at least on person  who has posted their rules writing on here have gone on to work for GW as a rules writer.  It’s also something GW has encouraged as long a I’ve been in the hobby. 

@svnvaldez

Hm, I have the feeling your reply is a little harsh.

7 hours ago, svnvaldez said:

"There are a total of ten classic miniatures included in this bundle. You've only got one week to get these models before they disappear into the mists of time once more, so hurry! This could be your only chance to own a classic...

In fact, this statement is for the Made to Order Models that are only buyable in that week, not for the entire range. (and the Legends Lists are for games in the "world that was", only using Age of Sigmar rules.

I have some fanmade stuff, and gave them point values, to give some sort of balance.

@kenshin620

Now to the posted stuff. I won't post to enything, only to some of the points

Partly I'm not sure about the Battletraits of the  Allegiance Ability (what was wrong with the original ones of Destruction and Ironjaws?)

I'm not sure about " Get Stuck In" (there is nothing like that in the game, and I don't know if it is the right thing for Orruks)

What was wrong with the original "Eager for Battle". Do you roll 3 dice for running and discarding the two lowest?

I have the feeling you gave the Ironjawz to much stuff, in case of Command Traits and Artefacts, 12 Command Traits and Artefacts aren't easy to balance (something for both groups could be correct for Greenskins but overpowered with Ironjaws).

In case of the Metal Ripper Claw, perhaps make a restriction on HERO and MONSTER because I don't know if a not slain model of a unit should lower the Armour of a entire unit.

Making all abilities to Orruk could be a little much because in worst case to create to many stacking buffs and even in "Soup Armies" the difference between the Groups still exist.

The Orruk Horde costs are a little low (10 Orruks for +10 points), this should be at least 240-250 Points.

In addition, I would be careful about lowering the points to much. In worst case your units get too many buffs and get too cheap because of that.

When I made my Brotherhoods of Korhil aka Lion Rangers, I made the points higher than the points from the Generals Handbook, because of the additional buffs from Units and Allegiance Abilities.

I'm always a huge fan of custom made rules when theyre done to enhance the game for the player and others.

There's alot to digest so I'm going to start from the top and work my way through it (for formatting I'd suggest putting the terrain up there in the allegiance abilities section since it's technically an allegiance granted piece)

Get stuck in: I think a second pilein move may have been the better option here, reach would imply long weapons or particularly agile wielders neither of which were the core purpose of the rule, being able to shoulder your way through by piling in further might well be the better option (So allow a pile in again at the end of the combat phase, without it granting an additional attack, essentially simulating Orks surrounding a foe to butcher it)

The terrain piece, rerolling 1's to wound isnt terrible but it's also not something particularly unique, it weirdly encourages Orks staying back near the terrain piece rather than getting stuck into the fight which might be counter intuitive to the way you'd want them to be played.

For command traits etc... there are ALOT, for what is essentially Orks and bigger Orks thats alot of variation in terms of commmand abilities and relics which may end up resulting in broken combinations and roughly 90% never seeing use (because some are always better). Fewer but equally desirable options may well be your best way forward in this regard.

Scarred boss having two benefits on the +1 wound upgrade seems to be an odd one out in your command trait lists, admittedly I only have a small selection of tomes to hand but in my experience the +1 wound was in itself enough of an upgrade without a secondary buff

Boar boss seems to be more desirable than the others, its +1 attack for alot of board rather than say, rerolling 1's to wound which the terrain piece already gives.

Wording on Heavy linebreaker seems a little iffy, I know you intended them to be able to activate when within 4 inches and then pile in but currently it seems like you're piling in 4 and then giving the weapons all a 4 inch reach which would be insane

Ironclad might need to change, that on a Mawkrusha is a big 2+ save model thats also ignoring mortal wounds on 6's for being ironjawz

Big boss finkin'at is.... odd, I get the fluff but it seems weird the boss might sprout scars or get bigger because he thought about it? Also d3 command points and the switcheroo is possibly too much, not sure on it so I'll dwell a bit

I agree that Rippas claw should specify heroes or monsters, otherwise it's possible to end up with a unit that now has two different saves because one of the wounded models save is now worse than anyone elses and could cause issues

Ere' we go needs higher casting value, in a vacuum it would have been good but the capability to get 3d6 charge, discarding the lowest, adding 3 from a commander, rerolling again from the spell and will swing first is a little much at the lowlow value of 5 (8 would be my sweet spot here)

Bash em lads might need higher cast value, playtesting would determine this

Gorkamorkas favour seems overtly potent, three benefits from the spell seem very good., any of the three would of made it cool but all three make it insane on big monsters

20 hours ago, svnvaldez said:

Here straight from GW: "There are a total of ten classic miniatures included in this bundle. You've only got one week to get these models before they disappear into the mists of time once more, so hurry! This could be your only chance to own a classic...

Rules for these models can be found via the Warhammer Legends page, available here."

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/ENG_WH_Legends_Orcs_Goblins.pdf

Actually you're even able to play with custom rules at warhammer world outside of official events, I've always found them to be more than accomodating when I want to play test through something I've written and alot of players are very welcoming of new, cool and well thought out rules.

+++MOD HAT+++

I've just edited the title of this topic to something a little more positive.

@svnvaldez please try to be a little less dismissive on fan rules.  Appreciate that these might not be your cup of tea but nobody is forcing you to use them.

@all - just a reminder that if you see a comment that you feel needs addressing, please use the report tool and one of the mods will step in and take a look

thanks

• RuneBrush changed the title to Fan rules for greenskinz (and IJ)

@kenshin620 those are some fantastic made fanrules.

although I would reconsider some of your pointchanges, especially those for Ardboyz.

I’m not sure what the skavenplayer will think about you when he figures out that your much better black orcs costs for some reason as  much as our Stormvermin.

as for the rest, great job there it fits the Orruk bill perfectly. 

Archived