Plans for the future of the Masters and Rankings

Ben

Look at how sumo tournaments and rankings work. Thats all about having the players play people of around the same rank so you get the most competitive matches possible. and if someone low down is overachieving they get a shot at one of the big boys. Then once its over they re-rank everyone and go again

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

coverage is another thing entirely, but you need to make it look like sports coverage. Rob and Warhammer TV have these static overlays whereas you need an animated branding that flashes across every now and then. You need a screen that looks at the table, a camera on the dice, a camera on the table, that can zoom in for more detailed shots, a roaming camera and a roaming reporter in the breaks, more interviews. During tournament rounds you need to be recording a lot of games, and having subeditors picking highlights from other games that the commentators can comment on when the round is over. You need a proper wrap up at the end and coverage of the awards ceremony etc.

Finally, you need commentators who don't say 'erm, ah, eh' all the time and who don't swear as course language automatically makes the coverage a 15+, and pauses make it sound as though you're trying to find something to say, which implies the coverage is boring. I know it isn't!

Coverage at the moment is about as good as a local radio station covering the football, so for the money and time that our guys have got to dedicate to this our TSports coverage is fantastic value.

All of this is really expensive to do, and I'm sure we'll get there someday. Keep donating to Rob on Patreon and who knows...

14 hours ago, Future said:

40k top 8 single elimination finals for LVO broke 10k viewers for the semi finals a few minutes ago. I would say that with numbers like that the potential for a big scene is growing.

I mean it broke 10k because it was on the front page of twitch and dropped 3k for the actual final game. Don't get me wrong, it was awesome to see the numbers but it wasn't an 'organic' pull. 

You are darn lucky to get an organic pull in a big way. Sometimes it happens - Minecraft is a good example of something that basically grew massive from the community alone without the parent company investing heavily in marketing (yes they do that now, but originally it grew itself). Most times you see big numbers its because people and companies have invested in marketing, brand awareness, campaigns, slogans, good time slots etc... Ergo they go out of their way to boost the signal

16 minutes ago, Overread said:

You are darn lucky to get an organic pull in a big way. Sometimes it happens - Minecraft is a good example of something that basically grew massive from the community alone without the parent company investing heavily in marketing (yes they do that now, but originally it grew itself). Most times you see big numbers its because people and companies have invested in marketing, brand awareness, campaigns, slogans, good time slots etc... Ergo they go out of their way to boost the signal

My main point was that there was a 10k drop off from peak viewership (13k to 3k in the final) as the game fell off the front page. I don't think many folks from that 13k stuck around after it fell off the front page to watch the final (it was at 13k during the Final 4). Again I'm not trying to denigrate the performance, I just think understanding the relevant circumstances around it are also important. 

3 hours ago, SwampHeart said:

My main point was that there was a 10k drop off from peak viewership (13k to 3k in the final) as the game fell off the front page. I don't think many folks from that 13k stuck around after it fell off the front page to watch the final (it was at 13k during the Final 4). Again I'm not trying to denigrate the performance, I just think understanding the relevant circumstances around it are also important. 

I didn’t realize it was on the front page. 3k is still huge. This time last year streams were averaging 150-400 viewers. The first event ‘incontrol’ commentated — nova this year didn’t break 700. 10x growth in a year is massive.

15 minutes ago, foolsama said:

Just so you're aware, I've already made an Elo ranking system for AoS. Pure win/loss. Can absolutely be used to seed Swiss games. The more people use it, the more it can be used as a meta-defining data source as well.

http://elo.masterpieceminiatures.com/

Brian?  Gary from Da Boyz here.    Need more users submitting data.  ELO is a nice system.  

Archived