Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Overread

Current State of the Armies

I figured this would be helpful to new and experienced players alike in keeping track of how the state of the game generally is and a track on what is likely to come in the near future from what GW has officially said.

Note: 

Old Battletome = earlier editions which have lore and warscroll cards; but have no allegiance abilities, pre AoS 2.0 rules
New Battletome = more recent release with AoS 2.0 rules, includes more depth and allegiance abilities and other extended content. 
No Endless Spells = army with new battletome, but no unique endless spells
Unique Terrain = army has unique terrain feature as part of their collection

Current count:
No Battletome - 6
Old Battletome - 8
2.0 compatible Battletome - 15

Grand Alliance Order:

• Aelves - No Battletome - note contains multiple subfactions and future of any is uncertain at this stage.
  • Darkling Covens - No Battletome, Allegiance Abilities GHB2018
  • Daughters of Khaine - New Battletome, No Endless Spells
  • Dispossessed - No Battletome, Allegiance Abilities GHB2018
  • Free Peoples - No Battletome, Allegiance Abilities GHB2018
  • Fyreslayers - New Battletome, Endless Spells and Terrain feature
  • Idoneth Deepkin - New Battletome, No Endless Spells, Unique Terrain
  • Kharadron Overlords - Old Battletome
  • Seraphon - Old Battletome, Allegiance Abilities and Battalions GHB2018 - strong hints of a new Battletome
  • Stormcast Eternals - New Battletome, Unique Endless Spells
  • Sylvaneth - Old Battletome, Unique Terrain - new battletome, spells and terrain delayed by shipping/import issues. Should be out as SOON as GW get it
  • Wanderers - No Battletome, Allegiance Abilities GHB2018

Grand Alliance Chaos:

• Beasts of Chaos - New Battletome, Unique Endless Spells, Unique Terrain
  • Blades of Khorne - New Battletome, Unique Endless Spells, Unique Terrain - preorder  16 March 2019
  • Disciples of Tzeentch - Old Battletome
  • Everchosen and Slaves to Darkness - No Battletome, Allegiance Abilities GHB2018
  • Everchosen - Old Battletome (possible strong chance of being rolled into one tome with Slaves to Darkness)
  • Hedonites  of Slaanesh - New Battletome, Endless Spells and Unique Terrain
  • Maggotkin of Nurgle - New Battletome. Unique Terrain
  • Skaven (All Clans) - New Battletome, Unique Endless Spells, Unique Terrain
  •  Legion of Azgorh (Forgeworld Chaos Dwarves) - New Battletome 
  • Tamurkhan's Horde (Forgeworld Nurgle) - New Battletome 

Grand Alliance Death:

• Flesh Eater Courts - New Battletome, Unique Endless Spells, Unique Terrain
  • Legions of Nagash - New Battletome, No Endless Spells
  • Nighthaunt - New Battletome, Unique Endless Spells

Grand Alliance Destruction:

• Beastclaw Raiders - Old Battletome - combined listing in GW survey 2019 under "Ogors" suggests possible new tome is merged
  • Bonesplitterz - Old Battletome
  • Gloomspite Gitz - New Battletome, Unique Endless Spells, Unique Terrain
  • Gutbusters - No Battletome - combined listing in GW survey 2019 under "Ogors" suggests possible new tome is merged
  • Ironjawz - Old Battletome, Allegiance Abilities and Battalions GHB2018

Forgeworld Armies - downloads for Rules found here https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Downloads#warhammeraos

Removed armies: Note these are armies no longer listed on the GW store for sale, they might have Generals Handbook rules, or they might have been consolidated into other Battletomes/armies. 

• Brayherd - No Battletome, Allegiance Abilities GHB2018 - However army likely replaced now with Beasts of Chaos as unified force. 
  • Greenskinz - No Battletome - all models removed from sale
  • Gitmob (goblins) - No Battletome - all models removed from sale

Consolidated future Battletome release rumours/hints:

Slaves to Darkness - repeat mentions and hints, very likely new Battletome at some stage. 

WARNING = Due to the new  Slaanesh pre-release information at Adepticon 2019 its likely that the following products will soon be removed from sale:

Edited by Overread
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4

Beastclaw raiders have an old battletome with their own allegiance ability, aswell as Bonesplitterz. 

• Like 1

Just  curious, why do you list Kharadron Overlords as an old battletome and Disciples of Tzeentch as a new one? Is that something I'm missing?

@ZealousJ I might have made mistakes too - any corrections are most welcome! I was under the impression KO had a much earlier Tome and that Tzeentch were newer but I could be wrong. 

No worries! I was genuinely curious.

I'm pretry certain Tzeentch was a few months earlier than the Overlords but oddly enough I'd describe it as being a 'new' style tome. It has such a huge selection of models, command traits, and relics and the like, whereas KO  reads more like an old one.

From what I understunderd KO are in much greater need of a new tome too.

anyways, I'll stop blocking up your thread

50 minutes ago, Overread said:

@ZealousJ I might have made mistakes too - any corrections are most welcome! I was under the impression KO had a much earlier Tome and that Tzeentch were newer but I could be wrong. 

Disciples of Tzeentch came out in January 2017 while Kharadron Overlords were released in March/April that year. So yeah, DoT is a bit older. 

But I think its fair to qualify both as "old" as they where the last Battletomes to come out before the great drought between spring 2017 and January 2018. 

Pretty sure khorne is an 'old battletome' with allegiance abilities. The Wrath and Rapture box updated some warscrolls to be 'new' style but the majority are awaiting updates like unmodified 6 etc which seems to be the thing from here on out.

you forgot Gitmob though they are also in the same state as Greenskinz if not outright gone at this point in time.

• Like 1

Ahh true, however they've got nothing on the GW store now so I think its safe to say that, barring a big release, they are gone. I could see GW bringing them back with a new expansion to Gloomspite oneday. 

However both the loss of Greenskins and Gitmob does make one wonder at the future of many of the Aelves who are all lumped up at present. 

7 minutes ago, Overread said:

Ahh true, however they've got nothing on the GW store now so I think its safe to say that, barring a big release, they are gone. I could see GW bringing them back with a new expansion to Gloomspite oneday. 

However both the loss of Greenskins and Gitmob does make one wonder at the future of many of the Aelves who are all lumped up at present. 

Lion Rangers and Swifhawk are in  bad place.

2 hours ago, Thiagoma said:

Lion Rangers and Swifhawk are in  bad place.

If we look away from Island of Blood no longer existing, I’d argue that Swifthawk is in a better place since GHB18. It made both Shadow Warriors and Spireguard into battleline if its allegiance is chosen. You know, so you can actually make an army of them. 

Come to think about it, having the absolute bare bones is no comfort at all...

• Like 1

This might use a crude power approximation so new players know what they‘re in for if they choose for example Kharadrons

sth. Along the lines of:

(very weak, weak, medium -, medium, medium +, strong, very strong)

power approximation

KO - weak

Bretonnia - Very Weak

LoN - Strong

SCE - Strong

FeC - Medium

DoK - Very Strong

Seraphon - medium +

Beastclaw Raiders - medium -

IdK - Strong

etc.

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 1

I shied away from power relations because I find that such topics can get quite heated and varied depending on who plays what army. I think it also confuses the issue for some thinking that a certain army is designed to be strong/weak when it really the result of balance which might be changed at any point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

This might use a crude power approximation so new players know what they‘re in for if they choose for example Kharadrons

sth. Along the lines of:

power approximation

KO - weak

Bretonnia - Very Weak

LoN - Strong

SCE - Strong

FeC - Medium

DoK - Very Strong

Seraphon - medium +

IdK - Strong

etc.

Tiers used to be the WFB way of expressing this.

You might want to distinguish between 3 grades of battletome. The old no allegiance ability battletomes like Fyreslayers and Ironjawz. The "medium"? aged battletomes that have allegiance abilities but are clearly written for 1st edition like Blades of Khorne and Beastclaw Raiders. Finally the new battletomes that are written for 2nd edition with full allegiance abilities (Nurgle to current basically). 

• Like 1

Under Chaos add Legion of Azgorh (Forgeworld Chaos Dwarves) thier PDF from Forgeworld was updated for AoS 2.0, including allegiance abilities, battle traits, a unique spell (fireball from Aquishy spells regardless of realm) 3 command traits, 3 artifacts of power and 3 warscroll battalions. Thanks!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lobeau said:

Under Chaos add Legion of Azgorh (Forgeworld Chaos Dwarves) thier PDF from Forgeworld was updated for AoS 2.0, including allegiance abilities, battle traits, a unique spell (fireball from Aquishy spells regardless of realm) 3 command traits, 3 artifacts of power and 3 warscroll battalions. Thanks!

Also, Tamurkhan Horde as a Nurgle addon with new allegiance abilities.

• Like 1

Added details on both FW armies and also the terrain features 

12 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

sth. Along the lines of:

power approximation

KO - weak

Bretonnia - Very Weak

LoN - Strong

SCE - Strong

FeC - Medium

DoK - Very Strong

Seraphon - medium +

IdK - Strong

etc.

Legion of Nagash not rated as Very Strong? Have you seen Nagash with 3 battlelines of maxed out Grimghasts 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Black Blade said:

Legion of Nagash not rated as Very Strong? Have you seen Nagash with 3 battlelines of maxed out Grimghasts 

......and this is why tiers never work

Edited by Mosquito onthe TenthFloor
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I see two ways to compare objectively.

First: To compare armies, you should not only review their strongest composion possible, but also their avarange potential on an competetive level. That needs a lot knowledge about all battletomes and their strength. 

Second: Different game sizes mean different strength. Some Armies shine on 1000p, while others prefer 1500-2000. A few are very strong on any cap.

Terrain and endless spells are not important for the armies strenght itself. 

For example. I see LoN very strong. Especially on small games it benefits from the smaller battlefield, what makes graves much stronger. 

13 hours ago, Black Blade said:

a.) It's an example
b.) It's supposed to be a "crude" guide. It's not only concerning tournament play.