Current State of the Armies

Overread

8 hours ago, Barbossal said:

I actually have a theory about this whole Aelf thing: the Light and Shadow Aelves are gonig to be the same army.

Think about it - Hysh and Ulgu are thematically opposite so the army ability powers up a certain alignment of the army based on the tide of the Sun and Moon. It focuses on balance and harmony between the sides and how they challenge each other - OR - build a list that focuses on a specific side and embrace the Light/Dark. Meanwhile there's a neutral alignment that is in the twilight between both sides.

Light Aelfs: Eldritch Council, Order Draconis, Phoenix Temple

Dark Aelfs: Darkling Covens, Order Serpentis,  Shadowblades

Twilight/Neutral Aelfs: Wanderers, Scourge Privateers, Swifthawk Agents

Light gets a new dual build kit with Angelic Aelfs in two types and Teclic & Tyron kit.

Dark gets a new dual build kit with Shadow Aelfs in two types along with Malerion.

Twilight Elf get a new Wanderers behemoth.

Revamp the entire Aelf line in only 5 kits ❤️

This is actually really cleaver!

Is a shame a lot of the Swifthawks are probably going away because of the Spire of Dawn box.

If memory serves me, their only units would be Shadows Warriors and the Skycutter .

The charriot is really showing its age, the models are tinny compared to the rest of rhe line. (Their pose helps to hide it tho)

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 123lac said:

Define current armies.

IMO current armies have at least GHB allegiance abilities and quite modern miniature range. Listen, Dwarf range was updated during WFB 8th ed, when AoS was definitely already decided to be released. There's no way they would squat them, same goes for Aelves.

19 minutes ago, michu said:

IMO current armies have at least GHB allegiance abilities and quite modern miniature range. Listen, Dwarf range was updated during WFB 8th ed, when AoS was definitely already decided to be released. There's no way they would squat them, same goes for Aelves.

I wouldn’t say an 8ed book means anything. There are several factions that no longer exist that all had 8ed updates. 

Updated first post. Note the Keeper of Secrets (original), Slaanesh Lord on food and Slaanesh lord on mount have all now been removed from sale from the GW websites. Second hand is likely the only place to get these models now* as they were direct order only so very rare to find in 3rd party stores and not in GW stores. 

*Unless GW does a legacy release at some point in the future, but they are impossible to predict and tend to be only a week or two long in duration. 

1 hour ago, King Taloren said:

I wouldn’t say an 8ed book means anything. There are several factions that no longer exist that all had 8ed updates. 

Which one? Greenskinz were from 7th ed. What faction with 8th ed miniatures was discontinued (Bretonnia and TK don't count)?

On 4/26/2019 at 3:31 AM, Barbossal said:

I actually have a theory about this whole Aelf thing: the Light and Shadow Aelves are gonig to be the same army.

Think about it - Hysh and Ulgu are thematically opposite so the army ability powers up a certain alignment of the army based on the tide of the Sun and Moon. It focuses on balance and harmony between the sides and how they challenge each other - OR - build a list that focuses on a specific side and embrace the Light/Dark. Meanwhile there's a neutral alignment that is in the twilight between both sides.

Light Aelfs: Eldritch Council, Order Draconis, Phoenix Temple

Dark Aelfs: Darkling Covens, Order Serpentis,  Shadowblades

Twilight/Neutral Aelfs: Wanderers, Scourge Privateers, Swifthawk Agents

Light gets a new dual build kit with Angelic Aelfs in two types and Teclic & Tyron kit.

Dark gets a new dual build kit with Shadow Aelfs in two types along with Malerion.

Twilight Elf get a new Wanderers behemoth.

Revamp the entire Aelf line in only 5 kits ❤️

i doubt this for a number of reasons,

firstly they come from completely different realms, and barely associate with each other in the lore, shadow aelves are already mentioned reltatively alot and are always by themselves (never with light aelves) unlike daughters of khaine (which have lore with them working with non-daughter of khaine aelves)

secondly they are mentioned as different factions in the lore, spoken about in different sentences etc, for example the khorne book mentions the shadow aelves as a faction but makes no mention of light aelves. and tyrion is gathering an army in hysh and is (so far not working with malerion for his army)

the two realms are described as haveing an intense rivalry in the lore, and tyrion and malerion hate each other.

GW is unlikely to combine two very aethestically different factions like this, it would also limit the way they can make each army play. what would the free terrian and endless spells be? if you have two literally opposite themes all you end up doing is heavy limiting the models, units, spells, terrian, etc of the each theme and make a mess of an army as a whole.

you limit the lore of both sides, and why would they take two major aelf (hell major AOS) factions and combine them when KO, DoK, DK, etc all minor factions get their own battle tome.

GW is following a theme where each god has their own army battle tome (sigmar has the storm caste tome, khorne has blades of khorne, nurgle has his maggotkin, etc. why put two major gods have to share a battle tome [and not get their own] when even every other god has at least one battletome dedicated to their followers/minions?

we will almost certainly see separate light and shadow aelf battle tomes.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shankelton said:

There is confirmed at least 1 destruction tome this year.

Anyones guess which faction it will be though!

Really hoping ironjawz, I just got back into the hobby after 12 years. Last I played was middle school 8th edition. Way to meet up with high school friends again and I went straight for iron jawz but they seem bit dated compared to these new books

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

With Ironjaws and Ogors, Destruction would be complete, right?

Destruction currently has 4 armies listed without a modern Battletome. Now if GW combines Gutbusters and Beastclaws into a single army under Ogors; and if they combined the Bonesplitters and Ironjaws the same way then they could indeed complete all of destruction with two Battletomes.

Note  that I'm fairly sure Orgos Tome will happen; both share the very same visual designs and the Beastclaws are running with very few models and most of the diversity is just ice mammots with different rider bit choices. Which works but is rather a weak way to get army diversity. In a single tome they would work great; able to run a single ogors army or have themed forces for each. 

Bonesplitters and Ironjaws are somewhat similar, though they could stand on their own; though I'd expect if GW did that for at least one to get a good halfdozen new kits or so to boost them in diversity. 

Either way Destruction really should get some attention soon; its the most undersupported Grand Alliance at present in terms of forces with 2.0 Battletomes; and its a shame that a fantastic release like Gloomspite is all on its own. 

• Like 1

Agreed with your thoughts @Overread.

Though I still have no idea where the rumor for an orruk combined tome comes from. I just cannot see it. Bloodsplitta lore is predicated on the fact they are tripping so hard on Waugh juice that their too deranged to even fit into what you could even call society for orruks.

Much more likely they are kept separate. With Bone's getting a small release of hopefully the spells, terrain, and a centre piece. With ironjawz getting a larger one assume the role of the major orruk faction in the vacuum greenskinz left behind.

In a perfect world they all get fleshed out, but if there is a combo tome coming it's for sure for Ogors. Just hope they maintain the Everwinter flavor

Ogors I think are definitely the next destruction release, unless they decide to squeeze Bonesplitterz in as a quick minimal release.

Ironjawz will probably be last, just because I think they'll get a bit more story focus when they come out and that focus appears absent at the moment.

1 hour ago, madmac said:

Ogors I think are definitely the next destruction release, unless they decide to squeeze Bonesplitterz in as a quick minimal release.

Ironjawz will probably be last, just because I think they'll get a bit more story focus when they come out and that focus appears absent at the moment.

Yeah, I think your right. Ogors need it in a big way

I'm more then happy to wait for my jawz. Looking forward to the waugh spells and some new units though eventually xD.

So updated the first post with today's news and as a result the counts are VERY interesting now 

No Battletome - 2 
Old Battletome - 5 
2.0 compatible Battletome - 18 

This includes the two new announced battletomes (Orruks and Free Cities), but excludes the hinted at (rumour/word of mouth) Ogors Battletome. 
In addition I'm not including any Aelves in that count as we are not fully certain which Aelves are in the Free Cities nor if any are going to get a duel role (feature in two armies) nor which are to be removed. So I've just left them out of the count. 

Suffice it to say that right now there's only 7 battletomes required to get all of AoS onto 2.0 and of those there's a high chance of two combined tomes which takes the count down to just 5! 
(Slaves to Darkness + Everchosen - Gutbusters + Beastclaw Raiders) 

5 Tomes ontop of the 2 we know of means 7 Tomes - That's a number GW could release between now and Christmas and even if they don't it means only cutting one or two months into 2020 to get all of AoS upgrade to 2.0 compatible Battletomes. This is a fantastic thing for AoS though the Free Cities battletome is going to be a very interesting thing to see how it all functions. It could be the fantastic clean up that does work with the lore; and also makes Order a more manageable chunk of models; but if too many are lost and if GW mess it up it could also be a very messy Tome. A lot rides on this one; there's a lto of classic human, elf and dwarven armies and thus collectors and customers wrapped up in that one release.

• Like 1

Well we know slaves to darkness will likely be 2020 now.  Probably after all of the warcry stuff is released (and considering warcry doesn't officially release until august, that leaves sept, oct, nov and maybe dec to release four of the five remaining warcry factions).

It may also be that slaves to darkness as we know of it ceases to exist.  

Gutbusters and BCR will likely be consolidated into an ogre book.

There is also rumors of a tomb kings styled book enroute.