AoS 2 - Mixed Order Discussion

Bozly

Surprised that this isn't already a topic this is for armies that use Allegiance order. What combos do you think are good and what are must haves? What are the best choices this army is a huge open book. Not sure what else to put here. Maybe ill just start putting tournament lists I find and try to find trends. 

Edited by Bozly

Ill start it off. Been doing a league game lately for a escalation league. Its mostly casual so we can run some of the compendium stuff.

Enchantress 

Bretonian Lord on pegasus

Legendary Fighter

Sword of Justice

20 Vulkite berserkers slingshield and warpick

10 Longbeards

9x Endrinriggers with two grapnel launchers

I played against a seraphon player Who ran a lot of knights and we were playing on focal point.

The endrins really turned up. There was a gap in his line and the way the battlefield was set up I was able to grapnel into the backfield and charge turn one. I managed to get on his astral banner and tie up one 5 man unit of knights. That's what really won me the game.

If you are in a community that lets you use it, The enchantress is pound for pound the best caster in order in my opinion. A 4+ save rend on her attacks heals every turn and most importantly two spells get to reroll one. Especially when in our league we have access to all the realm spells. Even though this game was in Aqshy and I only used the fiery blades once.

The bretonian lord bomb is another good 140 points. He's an assassin. Especially if you have the enchantress. She can give him +1 to hit and his charge gives another plus one. You're doing d6 mortals on a 4+ with 6 attacks if you put your trait on him. 

At such low points vulkite berserkers are a huge standout. They do negligible damage. But they're durable. Ive done the math comparing mystic shield to the archmages 6+ the reroll ones comes out a little better especially vs multiple damage weapons. 

Endrins are the muscle of a list like this and im curious to how many other lists they work themselves into. Even without a chemist they hit so hard.

• 2 months later...

I wouldn’t consider anything a “must have”.  The great benefit of Mixed Order is that you can tailor the army to any tactic/ strategy you like playing.   Whether you like control, alpha strike, magic heavy, castling etc.  you can find a build to support it.

For Mixed Order you would see less potential synergy than tome lists.  This leads to a need to bring together units/ clusters of units that can operate fairly independently to each other (which can be considered a strength).   In general I would focus unit selection on firstly picking what you want your army to do (and therefore what key units help you to do that).  You can then cherry pick all the undercosted units across all the Order armies to maximise your 2000 points given lower levels of synergy.   Maybe you have 9 morrsarr eels in a list with an annointed on a Phoenix, a large arkanaut company etc. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here goes my Mixed Order Elf army:

Frostheart Phoenix -general,  master of defense

Flamespire Phoenix 

Archmage on Dragon - Artifact Ignax scales

Loremaster

Battlelines:

Glade Guard x 10

Highborn Spearmen x10

Highborn Spearmen x10

Units

Swordmaster x 20

Phoenix Guard x 20

2000/2000 pts

Hello !

Here is my take on a Magic centered list, focusing on buffing the Phoenix and dispelling a lot :

Allegiance: Order
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Anointed of Asuryan on Frostheart Phoenix (280)
- General
- Trait: Strategic Genius
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales 

Knight-Incantor (140)
- Celestial Staves (Artefact): Staff of Focus

Spellweaver (100)
- Heartwood Staff

Hag Queen (60)

Battleline
30 x Witch Aelves (270)
- Sacrificial Knives and Blade Bucklers
30 x Witch Aelves (270)
10 x Witch Aelves (100)

Units
5 x Doomfire Warlocks (160)
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (220)
5 x Evocators (200)
- 5x Grandstaves
5 x Evocators (200)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 147

Ignax Scales on the Phoenix might be "overkill" but I feel like you absolutely need him to survive. I have two auto-dispell, cancelling very annoying stuff in the early game and saving some time to take the battlefield. Doomfire, Sisters and Evocators are perfect objectives holders and buff the Phoenix to the max save.

I would love to fit one or two Endless but I don't know what to remove

What do you think guys ?

5 hours ago, Peegee said:

Hello !

Here is my take on a Magic centered list, focusing on buffing the Phoenix and dispelling a lot :

Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Anointed of Asuryan on Frostheart Phoenix (280)
- General
- Trait: Strategic Genius
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales 

Knight-Incantor (140)
- Celestial Staves (Artefact): Staff of Focus

Spellweaver (100)
- Heartwood Staff

Hag Queen (60)

Battleline
30 x Witch Aelves (270)
30 x Witch Aelves (270)
10 x Witch Aelves (100)

Units
5 x Doomfire Warlocks (160)
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (220)
5 x Evocators (200)
- 5x Grandstaves
5 x Evocators (200)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 147

Ignax Scales on the Phoenix might be "overkill" but I feel like you absolutely need him to survive. I have two auto-dispell, cancelling very annoying stuff in the early game and saving some time to take the battlefield. Doomfire, Sisters and Evocators are perfect objectives holders and buff the Phoenix to the max save.

I would love to fit one or two Endless but I don't know what to remove

What do you think guys ?

The Spellweaver will have very little use. Its spell only work on Wanderers. You could replace it with an Archmage on Horse, his bubble stack with the Phoenix for more save shenenigans.

Also, i would go for 2 Phoenix, so you can make full use of the armor stacking.

On 4/12/2019 at 12:06 PM, Thiagoma said:

The Spellweaver will have very little use. Its spell only work on Wanderers. You could replace it with an Archmage on Horse, his bubble stack with the Phoenix for more save shenenigans.

Also, i would go for 2 Phoenix, so you can make full use of the armor stacking.

I dont agree with the spell weaver. The dispel scroll is really strong and cheaper than the stormcast one. Also with realm spells he has 8 spells to cast a turn. We can find something useful for him. The archmage is really good but in my games with him i find the shield to be nice but lacking.

1 hour ago, Sigwarus said:

With the new fyreslayer book I see potential in auric hearthguard and a runesmither. The hearthguard monster debuff seems fitting in the current fec/khorne monster environment. 

I put it in the fyrseslayer chat but vulkites have an in built +1 (against melee) save. Take a battle smith its +2 

sisters of the thorn found a new best friend. Bouncing mortals on a 4+. No mortal wound protextion but thats what the two wounds are for

I have a 1500pt 6 player Triumph and Treachery game this weekend and here's the Mixed Order list I'm planning to run, any thoughts? the tree revenants are for teleporting and objective stealing then the idea is to have the elves and warriors phalanx for the irondrakes 

Leaders: 

Archmage on Steed

Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix

Battlelines: (we're only doing two BL units)

Warriors 10x

Warriors 10x

Other:

Organ Gun 

Irondrakes 20x

Phoenix Guard 20x

White Lions 10x

Tree-Revenants 5x

Hello there, coming from Wanderers I have a wanderers-themed mixed order list I d like to try in the near future which it a bitof a monster mash too, here it is:

Dragonord     general, Ethereal amulet, Master of defence (heavy hitter with some potential staying power)

Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix (against enemy heavy hitters it holds its ground and if not, it will hold 30 witch elves forever)

Loremaster (classic hand of glory on the dragonlord, plus passive +1 save to the Phoenix)

Spellweaver (free auto-dispell once per game, always useful. Even if just for mistic shield he will buff up passively the Phoenix)

10 glade Guards

10 Glade Guards

10 Glade Guards (Battlelines and shield for the monsters to prevent a turn 1 charge; if they manage to shoot at full force it will be 30 shots at -3 rend once per battle which means 5-10 wounds on that turn: better than nothing. I understand a 120 pts of shield might be too much but I don't have 30 Dryads)

20 Eternal Guards (numbers for objectives; once on obj they are pretty hard to remove with 4+ rr1s. shield for the SotW)

20 Sisters if the Watch (another punch; shooting on a good turn 40 shots 3+3+)

Treelord (to use in conjunction with EG or any other unit to make them more tanky on a 4+, with a Mystic shield it will hold big blobs of infantry forever)

Soulsnare Shackles

Quicksilver Swords (they are here to give me more options for spess should I not need the SW's Blessing of Life)

(Pendulum)

2000/2000

So, the idea is to pick my fights trying to outdeploy my opponent (I have too many drops) as I can easily get him stuck into combat forever with some of my units while I countercharge with the Dragonlord or I pin his units down with the SotW. Without the enless spells I won't have the extra CP for 50 pts anyway so I might as well fill in the points even if the possibility of a triumph is tempting. I might just get rid of the Shakles and hope for a cheeky triumph as lately the majoity of the lists tend to fill in their points as it is more productive (they either don't need many CP due to high movement or high Bravery or low model count) or can generate them. Another viable option is the Pendulum to force my opponent out of position but the psicological pressure that an unpredictable predatory spell gives you might play in my favor avoiding double turns. Something else I have thought again considering the new "always strick first" from the khorne armies, is giving the Quicksilver potion to the dragonlord but the activation will anyway always be in favor of my opponent (if I use it in my turn can work but maybe I will get the Phoenix stuck in combat with the BT as it is moe likely to take the hit; if I use it in his turn though it goes in activation order because two identical rules coexists so the player whose turn it is, my opponent, chose the order in which rules happen, therefore he will swing first anyway). Or the Dopplegganger cloack which yes, it is only once a game, but I might be able to dictate the order of activation.

Let me know what you guys think, I will give it a go on thurday against FEC (probably) or Death anyway and it can actually give me an idea of the potential of the list.

• Like 2

I play KO and SCE but have some Seraphon lying around. Never tried to make a mixed order list before; but what do you all think of this?:

Brokk Grungsson

20 Thunderers (Rifles)

12 Endrinriggers (10 Saws, 2 Grapnel Launchers)

Lord Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline

Lord Castellant

20 Sequitors (9 Grandstaves, 11 Swords)

2x10 Skinks

That’s 2000p exactly; although I would be grateful if someone would clarify the legality. I have the requisite 3 battleline but they’re from different factions, neither of which is the largest in the force.

As for tactics, I megabuff the Sequitors with Staunch Defender, Warding Lantern and Mystic Shield which gets them to a re-rollable 2+ when Mystic shield goes off - IF my second legality question is answered in the affirmative, that being, can i use Staunch Defender in Mixed Order? If not; it’s still a 3+ re-rolling 1s. Anyway, the Sequitors are single file out in front, with the Thunderers 3.01” behind shooting. Heroes behind them. Skinks guard the flanks, balloon boys bring up the rear. The linchpin is the grapnel launchers. Turn 2 I will try to latch to terrain or a monster behind the enemy’s biggest force concentration and vault the Riggers behind them. Then charge the Sequitors in front acting as a hammer and anvil. Both of those units are great in combat; add in my Arcanum and Brokk as finishers and I could see it being pretty nasty. Against the few lists I don’t want to be charged by, I can use the skinks as screens in front to ensure a counter charge by my riggers.

Edited by Serpico

On 4/22/2019 at 1:40 AM, Frozenbeast said:

Hello there, coming from Wanderers I have a wanderers-themed mixed order list I d like to try in the near future which it a bitof a monster mash too, here it is:

Dragonord     general, Ethereal amulet, Master of defence (heavy hitter with some potential staying power)

Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix (against enemy heavy hitters it holds its ground and if not, it will hold 30 witch elves forever)

Loremaster (classic hand of glory on the dragonlord, plus passive +1 save to the Phoenix)

Spellweaver (free auto-dispell once per game, always useful. Even if just for mistic shield he will buff up passively the Phoenix)

10 glade Guards

10 Glade Guards

10 Glade Guards (Battlelines and shield for the monsters to prevent a turn 1 charge; if they manage to shoot at full force it will be 30 shots at -3 rend once per battle which means 5-10 wounds on that turn: better than nothing. I understand a 120 pts of shield might be too much but I don't have 30 Dryads)

20 Eternal Guards (numbers for objectives; once on obj they are pretty hard to remove with 4+ rr1s. shield for the SotW)

20 Sisters if the Watch (another punch; shooting on a good turn 40 shots 3+3+)

Treelord (to use in conjunction with EG or any other unit to make them more tanky on a 4+, with a Mystic shield it will hold big blobs of infantry forever)

Soulsnare Shackles

Quicksilver Swords (they are here to give me more options for spess should I not need the SW's Blessing of Life)

(Pendulum)

2000/2000

So, the idea is to pick my fights trying to outdeploy my opponent (I have too many drops) as I can easily get him stuck into combat forever with some of my units while I countercharge with the Dragonlord or I pin his units down with the SotW. Without the enless spells I won't have the extra CP for 50 pts anyway so I might as well fill in the points even if the possibility of a triumph is tempting. I might just get rid of the Shakles and hope for a cheeky triumph as lately the majoity of the lists tend to fill in their points as it is more productive (they either don't need many CP due to high movement or high Bravery or low model count) or can generate them. Another viable option is the Pendulum to force my opponent out of position but the psicological pressure that an unpredictable predatory spell gives you might play in my favor avoiding double turns. Something else I have thought again considering the new "always strick first" from the khorne armies, is giving the Quicksilver potion to the dragonlord but the activation will anyway always be in favor of my opponent (if I use it in my turn can work but maybe I will get the Phoenix stuck in combat with the BT as it is moe likely to take the hit; if I use it in his turn though it goes in activation order because two identical rules coexists so the player whose turn it is, my opponent, chose the order in which rules happen, therefore he will swing first anyway). Or the Dopplegganger cloack which yes, it is only once a game, but I might be able to dictate the order of activation.

Let me know what you guys think, I will give it a go on thurday against FEC (probably) or Death anyway and it can actually give me an idea of the potential of the list.

Looks like a solid list! Another artifact choice is Ignax Scales for the Dragonlord. 4++ save is really sweet and is gona help him smash faces.

Can also consider sisters of the thorns. Expensive but pretty fun on large models. Loremaster is also a nice pick. 

If you want more mobility you can replace the Spellweaver with a Archmage om horse. The archmage  on dragon can also be a nice beatstick and with the extra spell to buff that Phoenix even more!

So not  only a great list but one that is pretty flexible!

9 hours ago, Serpico said:

I play KO and SCE but have some Seraphon lying around. Never tried to make a mixed order list before; but what do you all think of this?:

Brokk Grungsson

20 Thunderers (Rifles)

Lord Castellant

2x10 Skinks

That’s 2000p exactly; although I would be grateful if someone would clarify the legality. I have the requisite 3 battleline but they’re from different factions, neither of which is the largest in the force.

As for tactics, I megabuff the Sequitors with Staunch Defender, Warding Lantern and Mystic Shield which gets them to a re-rollable 2+ when Mystic shield goes off - IF my second legality question is answered in the affirmative, that being, can i use Staunch Defender in Mixed Order? If not; it’s still a 3+ re-rolling 1s. Anyway, the Sequitors are single file out in front, with the Thunderers 3.01” behind shooting. Heroes behind them. Skinks guard the flanks, balloon boys bring up the rear. The linchpin is the grapnel launchers. Turn 2 I will try to latch to terrain or a monster behind the enemy’s biggest force concentration and vault the Riggers behind them. Then charge the Sequitors in front acting as a hammer and anvil. Both of those units are great in combat; add in my Arcanum and Brokk as finishers and I could see it being pretty nasty. Against the few lists I don’t want to be charged by, I can use the skinks as screens in front to ensure a counter charge by my riggers.

Hummm you have no "Order" battlelines, only specific factions BL so the army is not legal for matched play i am afraid.

On 4/23/2019 at 9:43 PM, Serpico said:

Brokk Grungsson

20 Thunderers (Rifles)

Lord Castellant

2x10 Skinks

Yeah, as mentioned, you are Basic Order for allegiance, so Sequitors and Skinks aren’t battleline. As well, you get nothing from the actual books unless it is on the warscroll, so no Staunch Defender.

So you need pure Battleline like Liberators and Saudi’s Warriors, and you need to take Relics and command traits from Grand Alliance Order or Malign Sorcery.

Edited by flamingwalnut

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, 

GW is preparing Orion to come out, so am I:

- Mortal Realm: Shyish
LEADERS
Spellweaver (100)
- Heartwood Staff
- General
- Command Trait : Master of Defense
- Artefact : Ethereal Amulet
Loremaster (140)
UNITS
20 x Eternal Guard (260)
10 x Eternal Guard (130)
30 x Glade Guard (360)
5 x Wild Riders (130)
30 x Phoenix Guard (420)
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
Extra Command Point (50)
Prismatic Palisade (30)
TOTAL: 2000/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 WOUNDS: 118
LEADERS: 3/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ALLIES: 0/400

What do you think?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So as I'm currently struggling to settle on an army going forwards, I've decided to re-visit my old mixed order army of Saint Martha's Vale for the next few months.

The idea is to use the dual threat of Morathi and Gotrek to.. well, hopefully wreck face.

Realm: Shyish

Leaders:
Knight-Incantor
- General
- Trait: Inspiring
- Artefact: Phoenix Stone

Morathi, High Oracle of Khaine

Battleline:
Dryads x30
Reavers x5
Darkshards x20

Other:
Gotrek Gurnisson
Prosecutors x3

Endless Spells:
Everblaze Comet

Extra Command Point

Total: 1990

Not taking a realm artefact as most events seem to be moving away from them. Reavers and Darkshards can help clear out chaff for Gotrek. Prosecutors are a 6-wound 4+ save screen for Gotrek. Dryads at the back, not running away because of the Incantor.

Hopefully it has a lot of smashing power, but also enough objective play.

Interested to hear people's thoughts.

1 hour ago, Korvak said:

So as I'm currently struggling to settle on an army going forwards, I've decided to re-visit my old mixed order army of Saint Martha's Vale for the next few months.

The idea is to use the dual threat of Morathi and Gotrek to.. well, hopefully wreck face.

Realm: Shyish

Leaders:
Knight-Incantor
- General
- Trait: Inspiring
- Artefact: Phoenix Stone

Morathi, High Oracle of Khaine

Battleline:
Dryads x30
Reavers x5
Darkshards x20

Other:
Gotrek Gurnisson
Prosecutors x3

Endless Spells:
Everblaze Comet

Extra Command Point

Total: 1990

Not taking a realm artefact as most events seem to be moving away from them. Reavers and Darkshards can help clear out chaff for Gotrek. Prosecutors are a 6-wound 4+ save screen for Gotrek. Dryads at the back, not running away because of the Incantor.

Hopefully it has a lot of smashing power, but also enough objective play.

Interested to hear people's thoughts.

Is this actually better than running the Living City?  All you would have to do to run living city is drop the reavers for another unit (outriders seem to be the most equivalent, though you could also use dark riders) and then drop morathi.  In exchange, you get city specific spells (namely, life surge, to heal gotrek back up to full), and you also get empowered endless spells.  You also get the ability to deep strike some of your units.  Alternatively, you can swap the dryads out for another battleline unit and switch on over to hallowheart, and as long as you grab a 2nd caster you will have as many casts between the knight-incantor and the 2nd caster as you would with the knight-incantor and non-monstrous morathi.  While you are doing that, you also get access to additional spells.  I would much rather have Sear Wounds, Ignite Weapons, and Roaming Wildfire as 3 spells that I cast than Morthi's warscroll spell, arcane bolt and mystic shield.

Basically, I don't see bringing morathi along as being worth it compared to the extra bonuses that you can get by running a Cities of Sigmar army.  If you are super attached to running Morathi at all costs, then go for it I guess...  But you have a variety of good casting options and big beatstick monsters available to you in the cities, and I'm not seeing the value in her myself.