What is missing from the accessories market

Ben

To be fair all of the things mentioned there's only a few things I haven't really seen done theres faction unit cards, movement trays, status trackers and wound counters that are good enough for purpose but faction specific counters for things like Khornes bloodtithe, Slannesh's depravity ect ive only seen a few homemade versions of, Ideally they would also be themed to the army,  and these generally have a set top value so there's a number of segments each would need to be made of. Another thing along the same lines would be a command point tracker with a top value of about 10 to keep track of those through the game rather than dice that can get knocked. These could be in the form of a dial or slider I think either could work.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Marc Wilson said:

Historical wargaming uses measuring sticks a lot and with the proliferation of auras in AoS this market is quite light. Screwed or snap together magnetic 1" lengths would be a great idea.

https://productsforwargamers.com/product-category/measuring-sticks/

Yes I played someone at blood and glory who used ****** together 1" metal rods and have been meaning to get some ever since, they were so useful for all the times you need to measure on the ground but can't get your tape measure in.

Also whatever else you do please just don't make it mdf or clear perspex/acryllic

EDIT: OH RIGHT I CAN'T SAY THE WORD FOR A METAL FASTENER WITH A SPIRAL THREAD THAT ROTATES TO TIGHTEN

15 hours ago, Ben said:

I make combat Dice already.  - This is a 6 sided dice that has different tokens on each face.  3 different dice for 18 different tokens.  

Have  look here - Scenerydice.co.uk

Ah, thought you must have stopped doing them as some of them are not in the store link in the banner at the top of this page.  I like using them, need to buy a few more for new army with different abilities. 

2 minutes ago, Ashes said:

Transparent round 6 inch markers to place on objectives would be nice. 

I was thinking about this the other day, thought I'd had a brain wave but then realised your 6" bubble will often overlap with scenery, there's got to be some way of doing it though

3 minutes ago, BobbyB said:

I was thinking about this the other day, thought I'd had a brain wave but then realised your 6" bubble will often overlap with scenery, there's got to be some way of doing it though

The marker must be thin enough to lay under the scenery. I think of something like the official WHFB blast radius tools but in 6 inch. Those were of thin plastic that fits under scenery.

On January 29, 2019 at 7:48 AM, amysrevenge said:

Related.

Dice sort of do the trick, but I feel like there's room for development in model wound tracking.  If I knew what that development was I'd be doing it myself - I think I can see an opportunity there, but haven't cracked what the solution would be.

I use skull beads from Amazon. White = 1 wound, Red = 5, Silver = 10. Somehow a pile of skulls on bases seems fitting.

1 hour ago, MacDuff said:

I use skull beads from Amazon. White = 1 wound, Red = 5, Silver = 10. Somehow a pile of skulls on bases seems fitting.

Thisis what I use to.  But just a pile of silver ones. 

1) Plastic tokens, definitelfy! Maybe a set of generic effects would be cool (+1 to Hit, Re-roll Wound, etc), and if you want to go further, faction-specific ones, with the names of the abilities. The cardboard tokens of some of the factions made by GW are... well... let's say they could be better. And they are lacking some of the abilities actually. 

2) Plastic measuring sticks made, from 4" to 10-12", something of the like of this:
http://www.brokenegggames.com/warmachinehordes/menoth/menoth-warsticks.html

2 minutes ago, Champi said:

1) Plastic tokens, definitelfy! Maybe a set of generic effects would be cool (+1 to Hit, Re-roll Wound, etc), and if you want to go further, faction-specific ones, with the names of the abilities. The cardboard tokens of some of the factions made by GW are... well... let's say they could be better. And they are lacking some of the abilities actually. 

Honestly, check out the dice Ben offers (currently an add at top of page, or link on prev page).  Use the scenery effect dice all the time, just bought an extra set and a set of blue and green marker dice to add to the red ones I already have and use.

16 minutes ago, stato said:

Honestly, check out the dice Ben offers (currently an add at top of page, or link on prev page).  Use the scenery effect dice all the time, just bought an extra set and a set of blue and green marker dice to add to the red ones I already have and use.

Cheers, I know the dice :) That's not what I meant, but as others have mentioned, I'm talking about tokens to mark the effects of abilities from models in the armies. Like: re-roll hit rolls 1, re-roll failed wound rolls etc. Ben's scenery effect dice are ace, no doubt about that! If he has already those in the store, I don't see them, so sorry, my bad :)

1 minute ago, Champi said:

Cheers, I know the dice :) That's not what I meant, but as others have mentioned, I'm talking about tokens to mark the effects of abilities from models in the armies. Like: re-roll hit rolls 1, re-roll failed wound rolls etc. Ben's scenery effect dice are ace, no doubt about that! If he has already those in the store, I don't see them, so sorry, my bad :)

Thats what he has, separate store, not in the store link for TGA.

IMG_4235.jpg

https://scenerydice.co.uk/

As far as tools go, the 9" measuring stick that was part of a 3D printed AoS accessory pack from a local supplier was literally game changing.  I use it ALL THE TIME.  I use it almost as much as the 3/2/1/0.5 inch combat gauge.

Actually, a set of measuring sticks from 3" up to - what's the normal maximum movement, 10" or 12" or so?  Maybe up to 14" to catch Run moves? - would be super nice.  Easier to move a mob accurately if you have a stick of the right length, rather than a tape measure.

On 1/29/2019 at 9:56 PM, Hypno said:

To be fair all of the things mentioned there's only a few things I haven't really seen done theres faction unit cards, movement trays, status trackers and wound counters that are good enough for purpose but faction specific counters for things like Khornes bloodtithe, Slannesh's depravity ect ive only seen a few homemade versions of, Ideally they would also be themed to the army,  and these generally have a set top value so there's a number of segments each would need to be made of. Another thing along the same lines would be a command point tracker with a top value of about 10 to keep track of those through the game rather than dice that can get knocked. These could be in the form of a dial or slider I think either could work.

On 1/31/2019 at 9:54 AM, Champi said:

Someone has kindly linked to my website already https://www.propaintedstudios.co.uk/ and I have created some dials and tokens for specifically tracking faction specific mechanics. Hopefully you'll find something you like.

There have been a few comments regarding naming conventions and using the specific names of abilities, please remember these form part of GW's IP and their usage can easily lead to small businesses running afoul of lawsuits.

Great thread to read, and I echo a lot of the comments here regarding wooden/metal gaming tools, gaming tool boxes and dice bags are very commonly requested.

More wahammery knitting row counters - I kid you not. Great for tracking wounds, points etc and can’t be mistaken for dice or lost like tokens

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Romote-Pieces-Plastic-Knitting-Needles/dp/B07F63NW3M/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1549195628&sr=8-2-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=knitting+row+counter&psc=1

Some of those with skulls and in army colours please Ben

You could make a set each for a different buff, debuff, wounds, general wounds etc by having the affect written on it then first dial switches between +,- etc and second dial is the number so you track stacking buffs. But even basic counters good

I think pretty much everything is already available in one form or another. It mostly comes down to what style/material each person prefers. 
Your scenery dice are kind of unique, as most other ones are tokens. 

Personally I dislike a lot of the fluro acrylic tokens. The cheaper cardboard punch outs or wooden laser cut ones are my personal preference.  
I like your scenery dice, I have to get some, but I find status tokens to work better as small flat tokens, especially as it's another 20GBP for a full set of the status dice which starts to add up a bit. 

I'd like to see more turn/victory point/command point trackers. There's a few out there already but they don't really suit my tastes.  
The 9 inch rulers (for summoning/deep striking), 6 inch rulers (for objective control) and the little 3-2-1 inch template seem very popular. 
Again, material will be the distinguishing choice, there's arguably a lot of acrylic and wood ones out there already. Maybe thin stainless steel ones? 

On 1/25/2019 at 9:18 PM, Overread said:

1) I've a metal range finder from GW for AoS. There are loads of plastic accessories on the market (way more now that some people use 3D printers); however they can start to all feel a little - tacky. To me the metal rangefinder is a little tool, but feels more valuable and worth owning. Tokens, cards and other general accessories in metal might well be worth looking into; granted you're aiming at a higher price point but also going for a higher grade of product.

That thing, but with a 4" side for piling in gors. Not sure there's a huge market for that feature, though...

What I would really like are cards for spells, command traits, and artifacts.  I doubt someone could make those as third-party accessories, but I really wish GW had included those in the warscroll card packs.  I would pay extra for it.

I really don’t understand why for 40k they give cards for all of the spells, mission objectives, strategies, but not for the units and then AoS gives cards for units but none of the other stuff.  Can I just get a card pack for all of these types of things please?  They are quite handy for in-game reference.

On 2/3/2019 at 10:42 PM, Cowboy Boots Matt said:

Someone has kindly linked to my website already https://www.propaintedstudios.co.uk/ and I have created some dials and tokens for specifically tracking faction specific mechanics. Hopefully you'll find something you like.

There have been a few comments regarding naming conventions and using the specific names of abilities, please remember these form part of GW's IP and their usage can easily lead to small businesses running afoul of lawsuits.

Great thread to read, and I echo a lot of the comments here regarding wooden/metal gaming tools, gaming tool boxes and dice bags are very commonly requested.

Looks cool but there are only 2x "-1 to Hit" tokens :D

If @Donal only has his Troggoth Hag at -4 he's just getting started!

On 1/25/2019 at 9:58 PM, Ben said:

I'm looking to expand Scenery Dice.  

I have ideas for new products but I am interested to hear what you think is missing from the accessories market at the moment. 

thanks, 

I don’t think it’s missing but it’s definitely an opportunity. More YouTube channels are using 12” flat circles with a logo on them to mark objectives zones. But all are god awful. But people do follow what they see, and there’s definitely an opportunity there. 

11 minutes ago, Kramer said:

More YouTube channels are using 12” flat circles with a logo on them to mark objectives zones. But all are god awful.

Check this out:

Those go nicely with the table, would love to have something like that. They aren't widespread enough to be available, though.

Archived