What is missing from the accessories market

Ben

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this really depends in what direction you want to take it.

A few thoughts:

1) I've a metal range finder from GW for AoS. There are loads of plastic accessories on the market (way more now that some people use 3D printers); however they can start to all feel a little - tacky. To me the metal rangefinder is a little tool, but feels more valuable and worth owning. Tokens, cards and other general accessories in metal might well be worth looking into; granted you're aiming at a higher price point but also going for a higher grade of product. 

2) Cases/boxes for holding Warhammer Stat and warscroll cards - though I appreciate GW making the cards limited runs and also changing the sizes and format every so often makes this a tricky market to chase after. However it would be good to see. 

3) General token bags/boxes/cases of good quality. I did a hunt around for these a while back and its surprising how few there are on the market. Boxes/cases wise its really quite slim and I found mostly the KR Multicase Accessory box was one of the few out there. So that might be another avenue to consider promoting (I don't think KR promotes their own enough honestly). 

I’d be interested in some sort of decent quality “Generals Toolbox”, a decent quality wooden case that opens up with dials for turn, command and victory points. Storage compartment for spell/artefact cards, bigger compartment for dice etc. Just so you have a little command hub to store all your game use bits

Useful scoring tracker. Simplest solution IMO is to take a Cribbage score tracker, lid of a useful storage box (say Warscroll card size with enough height for a layer of GW or scenary dice on top of cards)

For anyone not old enough, this'd be wooden pegs into holes

I'd love tokens showing if a unit was under the effect of a spell or ability that has lingering effects. Something like -1 to hit, -1 to wound, Can't run, +1 to hit, +1 to wound etc. I know a lot of people paint these on unused bases, or have various generic tokens that they use to indicate a mystic sheild or whatnot, but I'd love to have something that both me and my opponents could use in a match to keep track of everything. Maybe have additional indicators for "ranged attacks only" "melee attacks only".

Id like a wound tracker which shows both wounds taken and wounds remaining, to make it easier to track how many wound left, but also easily see the diminishing profiles of monsters.

Also a dice tray, with curved edges inside to make it easier to scoop dice out. Like a bowl, but lined so its quiet to roll in.

31 minutes ago, Lobeau said:

I'd love tokens showing if a unit was under the effect of a spell or ability that has lingering effects. Something like -1 to hit, -1 to wound, Can't run, +1 to hit, +1 to wound etc. I know a lot of people paint these on unused bases, or have various generic tokens that they use to indicate a mystic sheild or whatnot, but I'd love to have something that both me and my opponents could use in a match to keep track of everything. Maybe have additional indicators for "ranged attacks only" "melee attacks only".

Ben used to sell marker dice, an update of those for the current popular effects would be great.

A tool to track command points, victory points or summoning points for armies that have them. I have a little magnetic dial which I like. I'm imagining a rotating plastic dial with a space to indicate what it's tracking with either paint or a sticker. Supplied in grey plastic, people could even paint them in their army colours.

A set of rulers like the ones available for lord of the rings game which are based on the Fellowship's weapons. Those things look cooler than a tape measure and if they were in lengths that are common in AoS, could be pretty handy.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 2:38 PM, amysrevenge said:

A really good way to track command points and objective points.  I've seen dials and dice, but the ones I've seen aren't great.  I use a clipboard, which works OK.  It's possible there is a good product I just haven't seen yet.

Related.

Dice sort of do the trick, but I feel like there's room for development in model wound tracking.  If I knew what that development was I'd be doing it myself - I think I can see an opportunity there, but haven't cracked what the solution would be.

20 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

Related.

Dice sort of do the trick, but I feel like there's room for development in model wound tracking.  If I knew what that development was I'd be doing it myself - I think I can see an opportunity there, but haven't cracked what the solution would be.

Augmented reality goggles!  Think ill stick with dice though 😁

Odd one I'm often surprised we don't use measuring string rather than tape measures.

Would be much better for working out distances going over, or around, terrain and in games taking place in setting like cave systems not open tables.

Plus potentially less disruptive than a big old tape measure.

Just a bit of string, coloured to mark off each inch. Honestly it's the kind of incredibly cheap to produce and easy to mark up item that I'm amazed GW haven't brought out a range of faction specific pieces of twine at around a tenner each.

1 hour ago, amysrevenge said:

Slight tangent but this reminds me I got the pack of wound counter dice as part of the big Warlord Edition of Soul Wars. Inside the pack the dice all sit in a little plastic tray, each dice nestled in a little pocket. So what I've been trying to do as I build/paint bigger models is cut out one of those pockets and where possible incorporate them into my basing in some way.

I'm sure loads of other people must be doing something similar but anyway gives you a nice little dice shaped groove in the base for your wound counter to sit in.

22 hours ago, Lobeau said:

I make combat Dice already.  - This is a 6 sided dice that has different tokens on each face.  3 different dice for 18 different tokens.  

Have  look here - Scenerydice.co.uk

8 minutes ago, Barbossal said:

I'd love to see a more publicly accessible round base movement tray with magnets. There's quite a few kicking around, but not sure I've seen one done correctly that doesn't hold the minis well and doesn't add gap distance for your weapons

https://elementgames.co.uk/paints-hobby-and-scenery/element-essentials/element-movement-trays?d=10151

These are ether ones to use 

@Lobeau have you seen some of the stuff these guys make ... https://www.propaintedstudios.co.uk - worth checking just for the copyright swerving faction names...

Sorry @Ben not trying to lose you some sales here, but an idea of what is out there at the moment (and indeed what could be improved upon, pretty sure a lot of people won't like PPS's aesthetic).

3 hours ago, JPjr said:

Odd one I'm often surprised we don't use measuring string rather than tape measures.

Would be much better for working out distances going over, or around, terrain and in games taking place in setting like cave systems not open tables.

Plus potentially less disruptive than a big old tape measure.

Just a bit of string, coloured to mark off each inch. Honestly it's the kind of incredibly cheap to produce and easy to mark up item that I'm amazed GW haven't brought out a range of faction specific pieces of twine at around a tenner each.

The issue with string vs tape measure is the (axial) flexibility of the string. Tugging on it will naturally lengthen it visibly, whereas the tape measure won't suffer that (even if you pull on it, the material stiffness prevents noticeable stretching).

Archived