Making female Doomfire Warlocks

One of the units I don't yet have for my Daughters of Khaine army are the warlocks, and when I do put some together I'd quite like to make them ladies, to keep with the theme of the army. It just seems a bit odd to have a unit of random blokes in the middle of an otherwise all female army.

Has anyone had a go at this, and know of good parts for conversion, or possible pitfalls? I've never built the kit, so don't know how it goes together beyond what the sprues look like on the webstore.

My thoughts are that I have plenty of spare heads for Witch Elves and Sisters of Slaughter, so one or other of those types might fit the bodies in the kit? I'm not great at sculpting with greenstuff, so am thinking that the breastplates from the Melusi kit might be a good starting place to give them the requisite anatomy?

Any thoughts?

The way they fit together the legs and lower body (waist and below) are all part of the horse and saddle core body. So you're basically not going to be able to remove them at all without some serious reconstruction work on the horse alone. 

If you were to take one of the witches - I'd say the one holding both arms back (its about the best I think for a riding pose) and then removed her lower body from the hips down and did some minor greenstuff work you might be able to fit her atop the lower body already on the horse. 

Warlocks are already armoured on the lower and bare on the upper so that shouldn't matter that the lower is a bit thicker since its got armour and cloth on. 

Easiest conversion IMO is to get some Druchari Wyches to use as the upper half, and combine with the spare Witch Aelf heads and the Warlock arms.

Build the kit was normal, leaving off the upper half, and trim the Wych aelf torso to fit at the bottom. The spiky, armoured look will suit the legs and help hide the different styles.

Interesting suggestions thanks. My first thought was to see if I could make the male upper bodies "wear" the spare Melusi breastplates, since I already have those in my bits box.

Any idea whether that would work, or whether swapping out the entire other body will be a must? As Overread says, not many witch elf bodies are posed well for riding, so it might become quite tricky to get enough of the right sort. I'd not thought of using Dark Eldar Wyches. They certainly have less acrobatic poses, I don't think I have any spare female torsos, but could certainly get some, although it would add to the cost of the project of course.

Its good to know how the legs work. I wasn't intending to try to remove them from the horses, so that should be alright. They'll probably be wearing more clothing on their lower bodies than most other DoK models, but if you're going to ride a horse you would want to!

I forgot I had these but this might help:

kRuZqsc.jpg

What you can see there on the right is the assembled horse and torso that you get. It's got a slight raised middle to fit too for the upper chest and body but fairly easy to work with.

The model next to it is a female ork rider from GT Studios. I plan to use the original model with a masked warlock head for a female "leader" for my Doomfires. Though its not a GW model so not legal at GW stores, but perfectly acceptable anywhere else pretty much

http://gtstudiocreations.com/en/

Just be sure to look at the 30mm options - the 70mm are much much larger and to a totally different scale than warhammer.

What I did was assemble the warlock body but without arms or head and add a Blood Sister chest armour to it. Use whatever leftover Melusai arm bits you've got and a spare female elf head and you're good to go. I used the existing Warlock hair on a Blood Stalker head. It takes some dremell work to get that to fit but IMHO it fist the pose.

1924468577_doomfiremaiden.jpg.59cfbb1f7016b8cb93407051f6862dad.jpg

2 hours ago, zedatkinszed said:

What I did was assemble the warlock body but without arms or head and add a Blood Sister chest armour to it. Use whatever leftover Melusai arm bits you've got and a spare female elf head and you're good to go. I used the existing Warlock hair on a Blood Stalker head. It takes some dremell work to get that to fit but IMHO it fist the pose.

1924468577_doomfiremaiden.jpg.59cfbb1f7016b8cb93407051f6862dad.jpg

Awesome conversion! That's very similar to what I had in mind. Its great to know that you can get the Blood Sister armour to work, and your results look great! I've got plenty of female arms and heads left over from Witches, Melusi etc, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Overread

Thanks for that link, it looks like they've got a great range there. I'm already using Mantic Succubi to fill out my Sisters of Slaughter regiments, so having non GW models isn't an issue. Its very handy to see what the lower body looks like too. That all gives me some handy information!

29 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

Awesome conversion! That's very similar to what I had in mind. Its great to know that you can get the Blood Sister armour to work, and your results look great! I've got plenty of female arms and heads left over from Witches, Melusi etc, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks. But just to say that the only issue might be the warlock's back. I'm okay with it as is but the Warlock spine is very prominent (ridgey). Some GS straps in a n overlapping | and X motif would hide it. So would a cape but YMMV.

The chest piece fits on surprisingly well. I didn't even need GS for it and the Stalker head  is a simple swap. I would be cautious about Witch's arms, from memory Melusai arms are better. But whatever arms you use you'll need the pauldron or some GS work to hide the join.

2 hours ago, zedatkinszed said:

Thanks. But just to say that the only issue might be the warlock's back. I'm okay with it as is but the Warlock spine is very prominent (ridgey). Some GS straps in a n overlapping | and X motif would hide it. So would a cape but YMMV.

The chest piece fits on surprisingly well. I didn't even need GS for it and the Stalker head  is a simple swap. I would be cautious about Witch's arms, from memory Melusai arms are better. But whatever arms you use you'll need the pauldron or some GS work to hide the join.

Cool, I was planning to make some sort of greenstuff straps at the back anyway, so that should be ok. I'll take a look at a few arms and see how they go. I've got plenty of pauldrons, so that shouldn't be a problem. Just picked up the actual warlock kit today, so I can have a play around with the stuff in my bits box over the weekend and see how it looks!

IMG_7123.JPG.444017c6ced2b7160528581de9753c49.JPGHere's my first attempt! Not bad for an evenings work I think.

I've kept the core of the Doomfire warlock, but added the breastplate from the Melusa. The head is from a witch elf, as I found that it was relatively easy to clip out the tabs at the back, and fix the doomfire warlock hair piece in place. I think that the arm is also from a witch elf, as it came from the same bag of bits as the hair. I found a fair few with spaulders, which serve to cover the join, as suggested. I don't quite have enough left hand ones, but can use some of the spare spaulders from my Melusi to make unarmoured arms match.

I can see what you mean about the spine, but I think that once the hair is in place it won't be that noticable. She'll need some sort of greenstuff strap across her back to explain how she keeps her armour in place, but I'll figure that out later on.

All in all I think its going to come out well! She's possibly going to be excommunicated by Morathi for being over-dressed, but such is the lot of a doomfire warlock anyway.

I've had a fun day converting the rest of the unit! (among other things).

It actually all went together remarkably smoothly. I had no problem with any of the conversion elements, and it ended up being more or less a standard kitbash with very little use of greenstuff at all. The arms took a bit of work to get right, largely because I was trying to file out the squared off tab under the pauldron to make it fit the shoulder attachment. Once I realised it was easier to cut the shoulder into a flat ledge it went much more smoothly, so I'll have to remember that for next time.

The recipe is also one which should be pretty straight forward for anyone building a large Daughters of Khaine force.

Ingredients:

1 x Doomfire Warlocks kit: Build the horses as instructed and attach the warlock torsos. Keep the hair pieces safe for use later.

1 x Melusi kit: Build as Blood Stalkers, keeping the breastplates and spaulders to one side.

1 x Witch Elves kit: Build as sisters of Slaughter, keeping all witch elf arms and heads.

Recipe:

Take five Witch Elf faces, and cut out the tabs at the back with clippers, filing with a rounded needle file to make good, leave the surface slightly dusty from the file, rather than cleaning it off. Glue the warlock hair pieces into place with polystyrene cement. The poly cement will melt the plastic dust, alowing it to mould slightly around the hair piece when the two parts glue.

Attach Melusi breastplates to the warlock torsoes, they fit over quite neatly, with no need to file, a little greenstuff could be used to fill the cavity, but isn't required.

roll out small pieces of greenstuff, aproximately five mm long, and one thick. Attach to the protruding tabs on the back edges of the breastplate, and sculpt into straps leading backwards, and tapering into the cloth belt of the model. (A halter strap could be put around the back of the neck, but isn't needed as it will be obscured by the hair anyway.) It is much easier to do all this before attaching the arms of heads, but I didn't realise that until later!

Select witch elf dagger arms, with spaulders and flat tabs (I'm not sure how many of these you get in the kit, but I had about three right arms and seven left arms, which I presume were  left over from a box of witches and a box of sisters). Cut the shoulders of the doomfire torsos using clippers to match the flat tab inside the spaulder.

If you need to use arms without spaulders then use the Melusi ones to cover the join. A small dot of greenstuff may be needed to fill in the armpit, depending on how good a join you get.

Optionally knives could be cut off, and the scimitars from the warlock kit attached to the hands. I tried this once, and struggled to get a natural looking pose, so just decided to go with the daggers.

Attach the head pieces, and paint to taste!

Archived