Last RPG I played was when 5 inch floppy discs were a thing...

GuyDenning

55 minutes ago, Overread said:

What army have you chosen to buy into and what army has your wife got? 

Oh it's just the Soul Wars starter box. But my wife got her goth on and snaffled the Nighthaunt legion first... so I'm running with the 'Peter Perfects'  from the Sacrosanct Chamber. I might have to scabby them up a bit with the painting. Perhaps do a matt black anarchy division - I can't cope with all that shiny blue and gold 😉 

Sounds like a great starting point! Both of those armies have some really fantastic models and if your wife's into gothic stuff then things like the huge Black Coach are really going to be great fun to get build and play with! 

Stormcast can certainly get roughed up a bit! Also if you're interested Forgeworld is recently putting out some alternate non-helmed heads for the stormcast - both male and female. If you read into their lore then they can get rather dark, esp if they've died and been reforged several times; their identity and memories left in ragged tattered ends to haunt them. They've also got some epic mounts and beasties to throw into battle! 

Look forward to seeing both your armies

Yep! Foregeworld is the "boutique" wing of Gamesworkshop; they work in resin rather than plastics and make alternate models and unique sculpts. AoS is a bit under supported at present (partly because its new and partly because FW has a long history of generaly loving marines and Imperial Guard from 40K). However there are some cool things up there already and more to come we can all hope! 

On 1/23/2019 at 9:10 PM, gjnoronh said:

Pool of Radiance or maybe Ultima? That was around the 5 inch floppy era.  That's around when  I started too!

Enjoy AoS it's a lot of fun!

Just Dungeons and Dragons... when it was one small box worth of paper and half a dozen dice! And I think it was Citadel that made little metal figures then... I had hair too... ahh - the good old days.

On 1/24/2019 at 1:17 AM, Redking said:

Welcome aboard.  I was going through your website and you have some amazing talent.  I can’t wait to see what you do with your miniatures.  Please post when you do.

Cheers m'dears... we started making a mess yesterday. It was quite funny, me and my wife sat together at the kitchen table concentrating on painting the fiddly little figures. The first thing that came into my mind was our parents saying "well at least they're quiet"...

On 1/23/2019 at 7:30 PM, Overread said:

Yep! Foregeworld is the "boutique" wing of Gamesworkshop; they work in resin rather than plastics and make alternate models and unique sculpts. AoS is a bit under supported at present (partly because its new and partly because FW has a long history of generaly loving marines and Imperial Guard from 40K). However there are some cool things up there already and more to come we can all hope! 

Well they got my wallet's attention with the heads... also (presumably through the joy of google algorithms) this name keeps popping up in adverts www.ragingheroes.com - any opinions or knowledge of them?

@GuyDenning I've not bought any Raging heroes models but I have had my eye on them for a long while and they make some really fantastic looking sculpts. 

The only downside to them is that as they are not official GW models they can't be used in a GW store (you might get away with the odd one model now and then but certainly not straight up replacing whole blocks of units and not a whole army); and some tournaments might not allow them. Otherwise at home or at a local club they can be an outstanding way to give your army some unique flavour and appearance or just straight up build a whole army out of them. 

If you're interested in 3rd party stuff check out this thread

And do feel free to add any more companies that you find or try out to the list 

9 hours ago, GuyDenning said:

Just Dungeons and Dragons... when it was one small box worth of paper and half a dozen dice! And I think it was Citadel that made little metal figures then... I had hair too... ahh - the good old days.

Yeah Pool of Radiance was one of the first D and D computer games - actually a pretty nice product.  I thought given the references to floppy discs you were reference computer based RPGs.  Yeah I started my D and D career in 1981 - Warhammer came later.   Yes Citadel made miniatures for D and D games particularly in the UK market that's actually largely how GW got started as a company.

I still have the hair - it's just a lot more grey.

28 minutes ago, gjnoronh said:

Yeah Pool of Radiance was one of the first D and D computer games - actually a pretty nice product.  I thought given the references to floppy discs you were reference computer based RPGs.  Yeah I started my D and D career in 1981 - Warhammer came later.   Yes Citadel made miniatures for D and D games particularly in the UK market that's actually largely how GW got started as a company.

I still have the hair - it's just a lot more grey.

That's interesting that you mention GW because I have a dimly clutched to memory (most of them are now) that the name of the game shop (in the city of Bath) was actually called Games Workshop. I might be mistaken though - I usually am... It was a tiny little shop. The other game that seemed popular at the time was some space travel/war adventure I think... This was years before Warhammer... perhaps late 70s, very early 80s.

The first D&D computer game I knew of (and had) was a weird dark grey and orange plastic electronic board game by Mattel. But that was after I started the real deal. Certainly not a screen based computer game! Ha ha!! Found the beast on t'interweb...

http___s.ecrater.com_stores_141359_4b62f110ebd5a_141359b.jpg

24 minutes ago, GuyDenning said:

That's interesting that you mention GW because I have a dimly clutched to memory (most of them are now) that the name of the game shop (in the city of Bath) was actually called Games Workshop. I might be mistaken though - I usually am... It was a tiny little shop. The other game that seemed popular at the time was some space travel/war adventure I think... This was years before Warhammer... perhaps late 70s, very early 80s.

The first D&D computer game I knew of (and had) was a weird dark grey and orange plastic electronic board game by Mattel. But that was after I started the real deal. Certainly not a screen based computer game! Ha ha!! Found the beast on t'interweb...

http___s.ecrater.com_stores_141359_4b62f110ebd5a_141359b.jpg

I'm not sure of the location of the first GW shop but the time frame is about right.

https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Games_Workshop

GW wasn't about Warhammer initially that  just came up downstream when people kept buying miniatures for Dungeons and Dragons from GW and GW thought we should give them rules to play battles with their big collections.   Pretty well summarized above.

I vaguely remember that game - very vaguely.

I've been watching the D and D cartoon series on Youtube with my 8 year old son on Saturday mornings over breakfast.  It's been fun!  

Archived