Favourite AoS/ Warmmer Lore Tidbits.

16 minutes ago, Yoshiya said:

I don't know why but the fact that the Wardroth beetle that Alarielle rides effectively bursts into a thousand fireflies when she wants to is just a really evocative imagine in my mind.

I just imagine this angry god swooping down from above towards her foes, surrounded by a glowing swarm of tiny spites. As she touches the ground, the swarm starts to coalesce around her feet, slowly growing into this huge beetle that loans over those that dare challenge her.

It's not really a huge addition to the lore of anything but I just love the little details like that that add to the overall picture.

Well I am not sure if this is a good comparison but I do agree that is cool. Another funny tidbit about the lore is the maw-krusha. There is a small bit about it that it shouldn't be able to fly but the only reason that it can is because gravity doesn't want to mess with it. 

1 minute ago, Dr Ben said:

Hi first time posting on TGA. I haven't read much black library (most of my Aos lore comes via 2+ tough on YouTube) so I could have missed something entirely... .. but it seems to me there is a lot of space to expand on how chaos worshipping societies work. In terms of settled chaos societies in the world that was you had norsca, chaos dwarves and skaven (the last two not worshipping the big 4 though). The main beastmen and chaos warriors just seemed to roam around killing stuff cause they are evil etc. 

In Aos there is so much more room. Like how is a khorne worshipping city meant to work? There is a lot of detail about the path of skulls but what about your average guy who isn't really that into it and just goes to Khorne church for Christmas and Easter? Is a khorne city just like  a free guild city but everyone loves going to gladiator arenas or getting into drunk brawls?  Do they have any kind of civilian government? If everything is just a mass slaughter fest 24/7 then what do they eat? 

Going back to the main thread of the topic I guess what I'm saying is I really like the tidbits about normal life in the mortal realms,most of which seems to from an Order perspective. Like the guy from the malign portents story who was just a bitter angry old guardsman or how the stormcast at the start of soul wars loves apples because he associates apples with being in a home he can no longer remember. 

Do you know what book I recommend for you to read for chaos worshippers? Scourge of fate. The eightpoints are essentially the new "chaos wastes" where all the worshippers largely hang out and live.  

https://www.blacklibrary.com/new-titles/featured/advent-2018-25-scourge-of-fate-ebook.html

BLPROCESSED-Scourge-of-Fate-Cover.jpg

So one of the things I love about the army I have been playing now, the idoneth, is just how foreign and wierd they are. They come from nowhere and they bring the sea with them to attack with all kinds of under water gribblies they use as mounts. I love hearing about how dhom-hain is largely reclusive, and as such I think I remember reading that they were among the first to use coral to build cities and tame the trench like monsters in ghur.  Instead of being the stuck -up, pretty boy elves they are essentially the redneck bayou crocoidile wrestling elves.  That and the fact that they are basicallly the guys that gets everyone pissed off at the idoneth, while also being the first to ally with the stormcasts... just a lot of fun!

Also, love the fact that their society opens up so many questions to expand upon: what magic gave them the ability to breath underwater? how did the first migration go? what kind of system do they have for marriages and daily life beyond the military that we see? how do they prepare food? do they have kelp farmers or fish ranchers? can they make alcohol under water? can they drink stuff underwater? what are their parties like? do they have festivals? are the namarti resentful of the true borns, or do they look up to them and help them willingly? 

• Demigryphs and hounds chirp when happy (and screech when threatened or threatening).
  • Duardin folk will haggle  to half favor - the cheap @#$*&#&%s.
  • Fyreslayers are dwarven Wolverine(s) - glowing runes = snikt - they always prefer throwing down
  • Among the free peoples there still exist a "noble" class (really enjoy any social studies in fantasy settings)
  • Generations of humies have revered the Lady of Leaves

Shadespire: that Nagash's punishment for seeking immortality is a stagnant, rotting eternity. Such a fantastic book and game.

That Sigmar still considers Nagash his oldest and greatest brother amongst the pantheon,  which makes their conflict all the more bitter.

The Fyreslayers and Kharadrons for being fresh takes on an old formula. The Kharadron Code (and the Kharadron's efforts to find loopholes in the code) and the Blood and Gold themes of the Fyreslayers were a very nice touches for supposed "forces of order." Made their alliances to Sigmar and the Free Cities really look like a matter of convenience opposed to any feigned sense of loyalty.

The politicing between the Mortarchs of Death and the lesser Deathlords I've highly enjoyed also.

1 hour ago, Malios said:

Shadespire: that Nagash's punishment for seeking immortality is a stagnant, rotting eternity. Such a fantastic book and game.

That Sigmar still considers Nagash his oldest and greatest brother amongst the pantheon,  which makes their conflict all the more bitter.

The Fyreslayers and Kharadrons for being fresh takes on an old formula. The Kharadron Code (and the Kharadron's efforts to find loopholes in the code) and the Blood and Gold themes of the Fyreslayers were a very nice touches for supposed "forces of order." Made their alliances to Sigmar and the Free Cities really look like a matter of convenience opposed to any feigned sense of loyalty.

The politicing between the Mortarchs of Death and the lesser Deathlords I've highly enjoyed also.

It actually makes me a bit sad the zealot mercenary nature of the Fyreslayers never made it into the actual rules. I think they could have made some interesting stuff out of them allying out of allegiance in return for 'distrustful allies' rules etc.

There's so much new stuff to love, growing all the time.

But for me, at the moment, it's the Free Cities.

Excelsis is one of the most fleshed out so far, with the chunk of Mallus at its centre going on to fuel the whole city's currency (slivers of Mallus called glimmerlings that can provide prophecies), and then that effecting the social structure (the super rich becoming even richer as the use the large amount of prophecies to their betterment, while the poor can not) until the end up walling off the various upper and lower class districts.

But cities like Hammerhal have been awesome to see so far, and the more stories that are set there the more we'll see. My favourite bit about them is how corrupt they are already - there's tzeenchian cults, vampire covens and high crime rates - they haven't just kept them pure.

Back in WHFB dwarves had multiple words for gold. Each word for gold changes between different holds, living areas, backgrounds and quality. Regardless of where the scarf was from the meaning and connotation of the word is understood completely by others of the race.

I assume (and have no reason not to believe) that the duradin still have this in AoS.

Well one of the lore bits I enjoyed most since the aos release was the malign short story, which told the story about a mighty skaven armie who were trying to be very the deathminioms of Nagash, but fail miserably, thanks to wrong calculation.

The bit I most enjoyed in that storie, was the end where the grey seers, who was watching everything, starts changing his mind from miscalculation, to everything was planned, they where all traitor-meat and wanted to betray him anyways.

It’s also the part where I had to laugh and what I think, makes the skaven so unic.

hopfully Gw is going to combine them back together.

14 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

Very bland 'cheese stick and dips' affairs so there's no danger of getting back into Slaanesh territory.

Mmmmm...fish cheese.

On an unrelated (to fish cheese) note, here's my favorite bit of non fish-cheese related lore.  Its from the Beasts of Chaos book.  Its a little snippet in the section about Beastmen that have dedicated themselves to Tzeentch.  It describes a race of beastmen that tried to find enlightenment.  They suppressed their bestial nature and focused on their rational, human nature instead.  The best part is that they succeeded!  They actually lived side-by-side with aelves, duardin, and humans in the Realm of Hysh for many years...

...and then Sigmar showed up.  He saw the beastmen living peacefully with the other races and thought, "Aw, hell no!  This violates my personal notions of societal norms and I'ma inflict my norms on those beastmen over there for getting uppity and above their station.  Also I'm a raging bigot!"  So he turned all the aelves, duardin, and humans against the beastmen and wiped them out.

But don't worry!  The story has an ironic "they got theirs" ending when the aelves, duardin, and humans who turned on the poor beastmen then had to suffer miserable lives without beastman cheese!

PS: Fish cheese.  Just picture it.  How its made.  Do it. 

on a second readthrough of the battletome I realized most of my questions were answered already, but that makes me pretty happy as I first thought that it wasn't. Magic from teclis being stretched to the limit to allow the aelves to breathe underwater before the tidecasters developed an aqualung spell, the first migrations was crappy (but I still want to see a book on it) and the ridgid caste system is all in the book, but can be expanded upon with stories so I enjoy it even more.  I also went through the short stories on the idoneth from Malign portents and it's pretty neat to see the story develop and the background get integrated for them. I think I gotta pick up the short stories from black library to read them as well...

2 hours ago, Kamose said:

PS: Fish cheese.  Just picture it.  How its made.  Do it. 

mmmm... think they get it from the leviadons, the alopex shark or the fangmorra eels?  and wouldn't caviar be more common?

now I'm picturing caviar is the poor people's food anyone can get while fish cheese is more expensive...

On 1/23/2019 at 11:50 PM, Dr Ben said:

Hi first time posting on TGA. I haven't read much black library (most of my Aos lore comes via 2+ tough on YouTube) so I could have missed something entirely... .. but it seems to me there is a lot of space to expand on how chaos worshipping societies work. In terms of settled chaos societies in the world that was you had norsca, chaos dwarves and skaven (the last two not worshipping the big 4 though). The main beastmen and chaos warriors just seemed to roam around killing stuff cause they are evil etc. 

In Aos there is so much more room. Like how is a khorne worshipping city meant to work? There is a lot of detail about the path of skulls but what about your average guy who isn't really that into it and just goes to Khorne church for Christmas and Easter? Is a khorne city just like  a free guild city but everyone loves going to gladiator arenas or getting into drunk brawls?  Do they have any kind of civilian government? If everything is just a mass slaughter fest 24/7 then what do they eat? 

Going back to the main thread of the topic I guess what I'm saying is I really like the tidbits about normal life in the mortal realms,most of which seems to from an Order perspective. Like the guy from the malign portents story who was just a bitter angry old guardsman or how the stormcast at the start of soul wars loves apples because he associates apples with being in a home he can no longer remember. 

I remember someone some month ago made a really interesting text about how a khorne army or empire would work. One of the fact of khorne is that he is the god of industry. His follower aren't only savage warriors, but would (well, MUST) have some smiths, but as well engineers and architects, because you don't build those chaos forts and city by luck.

My favourite tid bit is also chaos related.

“Amongst the tribes of the North, the shamans of Norsca and the Eastern Steppes teach that during the mythic ages of the world, when the gods of Chaos made war upon the Old Ones, it was Tzeentch who was foremost amongst the gods, for this was his time; a time of wild magic and unrestrained sorcery, where daemons and mutations ran rampant and the world faced the most primal of all change in the throes of war and death and the overthrow of an old order.

The other gods saw Tzeentch's glory and grew jealous, and jealousy in turn became fear that he would eclipse them all in power and might. Thus, the other gods conspired and hatched a plan to tear him from his lofty perch. The gods ambushed the Changer and faced him in battle, but so mighty was the Raven that he threw all but one back, and so it was that in the end Khorne alone was left, to pit the strength of steel against sorcery. For ages uncounted did the two mighty gods battle atop a great mountain, evenly matched until Khorne caught Tzeentch by his throat and threw him from the highest peak. Where the Great Conspirator fell, his form was shattered into ten thousand pieces that flew across eternity, each shard metamorphosing into an incantation of magical power; thus becoming the spells that trip from the tongues of arcane practioners to this day.

Thus was Tzeentch's power now faded, and victorious Khorne took his place as First amongst the company of the Dark Gods.”

I’m pretty sure it ended with the blue scribes going around trying to “collect” the spell fragments of tzeentch and make him whole. Can’t  find it though.

Archived