Model Warning for all Skaven! Going out of production now!

Overread

EDIT - After recent changes all rats may stand down now! It seems that GW has relaunched the GW website with new photos and painted models which displays ALL the current Skaven models on round bases. Even such exotics as the swarm rats are STILL in the game. Skaven have lost only the Warlord in Metal - all others remain. All hail the Great Horned Rat! 

Skaven Assassin in Metal Last Chance to Buy https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Skaven-Assassin-with-Twin-Blades

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I panic bought some Skrye acolytes for exactly this reason, and cause they are outrageously expensive on eBay.

My skaven army grew out of the Old Warhammer Quest monster lists so is pretty diverse, hopefully it all survives any update!

I'm more afraid of plastic models that are currently OOP, but have rules and points like Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team and Poison Wind Mortar Weapon Team. I'm slightly worried that they will share the fate of Scuttlings and won't get included in the battletome. 

I'm sure it's something to do with the moulds and the fact that GW accidentally got some High Elves on the same sprue, but I remain baffled beyond the capacity for rational thought as to why the stuff from Island of Blood/Spire of Dawn is not being sold individually now.

My understanding is that it would cost so much to remake the moulds for the Island of Blood models that they might as well make a new kit. From what I recall from building the set, the models are pretty interspersed. There is thus no way to separate them after they have been cast. They would have to go back to the original sculpts, which may even be physical "greens" rather than CAD files, and design new sprues from scratch, which is a very costly process.

If they are going to invest in doing so then they might as well commission a newer version of the model, or take a hard look at whether they actually want to sell that unit, or whether other, newer stuff is more worth the effort.

Its a shame, as there are some cool things in that kit though.

Honestly I'd expect to see globe and warpfire throwers both return to the game in some form. Indeed that clan could be an ideal them to focus around. Perhaps they might even update the giant rats and ogres as well as they are quite large and yet dated models (esp the ogres).

A combined thrower/grinder/gun team kit in plastic (even a mortar can be thrown in too) would be a very smart move for a multi-kit! 

Thing is skaven have a lot of iconic models so before GW even gets to trying out new things there's a lot to revamp and update. 

I just hope there's a few more cute rats around like the one loading up the pistol on one of the warlock engineers

We only know that the Doomwheel, Stormfiends Plagueclaw/Warp Lightning Cannon certainly won't get updates and its less likely that the Start Collecting for Pestilens will either so that's the Plague Furnace/Screaming Bell and Plague Monks that we can expect not to be updated. 

Of the plastic kits Nightrunners are quite old and could be made into a duel night and gutter runner modern kit. The Ogres and giants rats could be updated to include rat swarms as well.

So there's quite a lot of potential within the faction for updates here and there

I think it's pretty much night and day between the scuttlings and the Warpfire thrower.  The former only ever appeared in  silver tower whereas the Warpfire thrower has had a four iterations across seven editions of the game. I'm more worried for the rattling gun and mortar tbh. I could see a skaven weapons team set with warpfire throwers, rattling guns and grinders as the three build options like @Overread said-, with the mortar perhaps folded into a new Skyre acolyte box.

Based on previous releases I think the following would be my ideal (realistic) release for Skaven:

1. Endless spells
  2. Nightrunners/Gutterunners dual kit. 
  3. Weapons team set
  4. Skyre engineers (preferably two weapons options and a wind mortar)
  5. The new engineer sculpt

However I think there's a strong chance we'd 'just' get the book and some spells and terrain ale beasts of chaos.

I've updated the post with a few unmentioned material models and also added the finecast in too (less chance of losing finecast than metal, but its still possible to lose them). It's actually quite a scary number of models from the range that are could be lost. Then again with a good few being long term models we might well see a rafter of replacements over time. Really depends how big a launch GW wants to make skaven and how they envision the army going forward. They might also cut a lot in one go, but introduce some back only steadily over a longer period of time. 

Also whilst I hummed and harred over collecting Skaven years ago ( and passed because in the Old World days you did need legions of skaven slaves to make a viable army and that's before adding clan rats on top) I've always had an eye for the little ratties. So I grabbed Arch Warlock (Ikit Claw) as its a model I've had my eye on ever since it first came out (I'm still hoping its one that CA release into TW Warhammer) and the metal Packmaster. 

55 minutes ago, Greyshadow said:

Thanks at @Overread, this kind of announcement is something I wish GW would/could do themselves.

Aye I don't get why GW doesn't give a " last chance" announcement. That said remember it might be weeks or even months before any hint of a Skaven revision appears. I figured I'd get in early since we've no formal time line and the Greenskin removals are fresh in everyone's mind. 

We've also no idea what will go and what will stay - its fairly certain the metals will go, whilst finecasts can stick around. Of course ontop we've no idea what (if any) kits GW might release; so could be many of those being removed get released as new fantastic plastic kits. 

@Kirjava13 shhhhh don't spoil this moment!! Of course if he's that horrid to assemble it might at least keep my sanity by me not caving in and building a skaven army...... I won't I won't I must remain true to Khaine....mostly..... I mean Skaven DO harvest hearts I'm sure! 

Interesting to note I think skaven is the last army with any extensive metal models. Gutbusters are all resin whilst most of the other armies left around have the odd bit of resin left and there might be one or two other metals; but by and large it seems that Skaven are the very last metal army! Which kind of shows how long its been since they had an update!

Gutbusters though looks like that could be a massive release if/when it comes. Considering all the resin, then again a fair few could be easily combined into high detail multi-part plastic kits. 

Most of the old metal stock will disappear with the new book. Stormvermin and clanrats will remain untouched as they’re beautiful models and relatively new in terms of production cycles. Warp cannon and doom wheel will be left alone. So excited for the new Skaven book. Hope it’s the next or third release this year.

I know they're amazing and very modern models that won't be replaced, but I would give Overread's left kidney (or his right one, assuming he hasn't already sold it for Witch Elves) for Stormfiends designed so you could give every pose a different head and the possibility of fitting them with all six weapons options. I'm happy to buy multiple boxes to be able to field, say, a unit of all doomflayer gauntlets, but I would like it if they could have a little variety without having to get busy hacking and green stuffing, which I'm not great at.

The Great Horned Rat is exceedingly unlikely to pay attention to this particular squeaked plea, but one can have dream-hopes, yes-yes?

6 hours ago, Overread said:

@Kirjava13 shhhhh don't spoil this moment!! Of course if he's that horrid to assemble it might at least keep my sanity by me not caving in and building a skaven army...... I won't I won't I must remain true to Khaine....mostly..... I mean Skaven DO harvest hearts I'm sure! 

Join us, scurry-kill for us-us

we know-see you want to.

don't hold yourselves back, join the great pantheon of the horned rat and start your skaven collection today.

I would not be surprised if a skaven soup battle tome didn't include pestilens somewhat like LoN left out FEC so I wouldn't worry about censer bearers, they also are not particularly expensive on ebay as I don't think they are in terribly high demand. A lot of people seem to prefer the older 5th edition era censer bearers which had more dynamic poses and bigger censers or they make censer bearers out of plague monks.

1 hour ago, herohammer said:

I would not be surprised if a skaven soup battle tome didn't include pestilens somewhat like LoN left out FEC so I wouldn't worry about censer bearers, they also are not particularly expensive on ebay as I don't think they are in terribly high demand. A lot of people seem to prefer the older 5th edition era censer bearers which had more dynamic poses and bigger censers or they make censer bearers out of plague monks.

Nor would I be. 

The variety of the se combinations and so on is what makes the skaven so unic.

although I don’t know if pestilence will be apart of it, but it would definitely make the whole armie aspect much more interesting.

2 hours ago, herohammer said:

In case of the Canser Bearers. Aren't there 4 flails in the Plague Bearers Box, that aren't even used at the moment (if I remember correctly)? So it still would be possible to build Canser Bearers with Plague Monks.

To the rest of the range. I would really hope if Skaven would get some new models. It was a quite drastic Style change from the old metal models (or Nightrunners) compared to Clanrats and the newer metal models.

3 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Are you sure because that just sounds like thanqoul plan-plotting against us-us again.

But if Skaven soup battletome is a Thanqoul plan it will definitely fail. We will never see it and designers will blame imaginaty traitors  and saboteurs.

7 minutes ago, michu said:

But if Skaven soup battletome is a Thanqoul plan it will definitely fail. We will never see it and designers will blame imaginaty traitors  and saboteurs.

Only the first few times.(cough, cough pestilence, cough cough battle..., cough)

in the end even Nuln has fallen to my pet-things feet(batteltome possibly combining everything skaven related)

Archived