Model Warning for all Skaven! Going out of production now!

Overread

10 minutes ago, Overread said:

1) Skaven Slaves.

Agree. They fulfill the same role as clanrats and are worse - no need for them.

3 minutes ago, Overread said:

2) Weapon teams

Too iconic to disappear. They are the epitome of clan Skryre. One kit for all would be good, but I don't know if it's something GW would do.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I can see the weapon team becoming like an upgrade for units like clanrats.

it’s what they always where in some way, and it would be great to have them in such a way back.

Edit: this would give us a change of having some kind of a support unit, which can help our clanrats.

of course stormfiends can be seen as such too, but in the end a unit of these can easily destroy and keep themselves alive in close combat, even if they are only equipped with warpfire brazzlets.

True Warhammer fantasy went through a phase of GW releasing loads of leaders with different equipment loadouts rather than single kits with multiple choices. The result is that as we've lost a lot of those leader models the choices for gear for leaders have gone down. Of course WYSIWYG is a little laxer in fantasy in general so chances are even if your warlord has a shield it will still be valid to play with.

It's more of a risk for when they are mounted. 

Heck mounted skaven would be good to see (just NOT those early first designs which were - well - nuts; but clanrats atop wolfrats would look neat)

Just watching the UK site the Warp Grinder appears to jump in and out of stock a fair bit. Clearly its got some popularity!

Also an update that the USA Clanrats are listed as "out of production" which suggests that they are getting reboxed up (unlikely to be a new kit as the rats themselves are not that old and there are much older troops such as gutter runners)

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 6:35 AM, Overread said:

Just musing on thoughts here but I was going through the warscrolls and such and wondered "if GW were to take things away from Skaven what would be "safe/nice" to lose."

I'd like to think everything in the current GH is safe.  We lost quiet a bit from the newer ones (Skaven slaves, Chieftan w/ Banner, named characters, etc). I think even the older Eshin  kits are safe, and may see a makeover.

I can't see us losing the weapon teams, especially the 2 that came in the IoB/SoD starters. Just a feeling.

@Barbossal Whilst GW trades internationally its the UK site that is in their home region so normally that's the best one to refer to when it comes to things going into out of production/last chance. 

Going "out of stock" is fine its just stock and overseas rely upon shipments so its likely for quite a few things to run out of stock at the same time before they get restocked. GW also uses their email system so if no one clicks "email me when available" that model doesn't get bumped up the casting line. It will be recast at some point and stock restored, but it won't be prioritized. 

When things go "last chance" that means its not getting any more stock ever* and once its listed as "no longer availiable" then its gone for good.

*There are exceptions, such as when GW reboxes content. Though you can normally tell because they only rebox plastics. There was confusion recently over Greenskins because they were mentioned in the Gloomgitz battletome as allies and they also had reasonably modern plastic kits; so that was a "oh its rebo.. oh no its gone!" surprise. 

Sound the Sirens for the Carrion Empire and new Skaven Battletome approach!

The chances for things to vanish just stepped up a gear! 

There's a new endless spell with a rat swarm so that makes it more likely the rat swarm model will go. A new Engineer makes it more likely to lose the engineers whilst the plastic warlord might mean that the finecast one goes as well (the metal warlord is already out of production). Thus far no other new models are hinted at, however that doesn't mean GW might not remove things.

The weapon teams could (grinder and gattling) could be removed under the argument that stormfiends replace them (even though fiends are more an assault weapon approach rather than support weapon approach to the various weapons). 

Metal assassin is also likely due to the finecast one existing. 

Ahh good catch that might well be the case! 

Of course we'ev also no idea if GW will bring the Island of Blood models into use  - that could really shake things up - new packmasters, weapon teams, warlock, ogres. It was a big release that I'm surprised they never followed up. Same for the new HE models they released. 

1 hour ago, Overread said:

Ahh good catch that might well be the case! 

Of course we'ev also no idea if GW will bring the Island of Blood models into use  - that could really shake things up - new packmasters, weapon teams, warlock, ogres. It was a big release that I'm surprised they never followed up. Same for the new HE models they released. 

I believe some people have talked about how the fact that they're on the same sprue as the High Elves ensures they can't be released by themselves. Seems odd to me- they still have the designs, once the IoB/SoD stock is gone it's surely worth investing in putting them on their own sprues and selling them that way? 

See being on the same sprue just means that they are on the same mould. IF GW isn't going to use that mould again then it stands to reason that they could take those same designs and masters and put them on their own sprue and make a new mould up for them. Of course that requires a new mould, but yes it is really odd that that wasn't budgeted for and didn't come to pass years ago. GW could have made minor alterations to them and still released them - though the only one that really needed altering was the weapon team to include more options. 

That said Pyrovores and Biovores are still sold as separate kits by GW despite the fact that they'd make an ideal united kit. I think sometimes logical elements just get pushed out by the busy release schedule. 

I said this in another thread, but here's my guess as to what's going on with the out of stock models:  "After Skaven's update, most of their fielded models will still be on square bases, in second edition AoS! Unless GW comes out and says otherwise. Maybe that's why Skaven has some units not for sale, so they can simply restock them with round bases? All this rumor and speculation about out of stock models getting updates and it's just their bases getting the update."

Archived