If I won the lottery I would....

Ben

Fill in the blank a bit of Monday morning fun. 

I’m talking a big win  Euro millions style.  Obviously a Tesla or two, a big house and holidays  

after that, 

I’ve always wanted to buy and refurb a huge derelict warehouse in Derby  

06174DF1-DBB5-41B9-82C6-AD7B11C3B65B.jpeg

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/incredible-aerial-footage-shows-shocking-407040.amp

it would be the mother of all gaming centres! 

What is everyone else’s hobby day dreams? 

29 minutes ago, Ben said:

I think like you, I have dreams of opening up a hobby centre/gaming area but then I look at how realistic that would be if I was in this situation (partially down to if I would follow through with it as it sounds like hard work and mainly because I think my wife would have other ideas!).

I think I would probably be very simple and do the following....

• Play in lots of events around the world 
  • Become the mysterious 'Player X' and provide prize support for some events as well as charity support
  • Sponsor a certain forum as mysterious 'Player X' ;);) 
  • Support School Gaming Clubs
  • Pay any of the GW writers to work Nick Bayton into a 30K/40K story as a Word Bearer Character (or better yet as a Ultramarine turning on his legion)

I think it would be simply just enjoy retirement playing the games I enjoy and helping others enjoy it.

Also from a car point of view, as much as I love the idea of a Tesla, even with that amount of money it would grieve me to have one due to the cost!  

Invest all the money so that I can live off the interest and such! Seriously do it that way and provided you spread it out and keep it in multiple different investments you can live very nicely without having to do anything and without seeing the money vanish in 10-20 years; whilst if you spend the actual money most people eventually run out.

Though as for something special that I'd do if I had millions upon millions in the bank - I'd open a fantasy art gallery. Tied to a big geek store and hobby centre of course - but I'd make it big enough to project fantasy art into the mainstream. I don't see why the Tate modern should get all that vast investment for trashy art when there's so much fantastic artwork out there made by fantasy artists that goes without any proper gallery save Deviant Art and, if you're lucky, landing a spot doing the (almost) annual Lord of the Rings Illustrated edition.

It would probably also have a side dedicated to Metal and Rock music because many of them have some outstanding fantasy artwork on their albums - esp the classics. 

Get a house, save some for old age, save some for the kids, comission a fully painted and magnetized Imperial Knights army for 40k and cut worktime by 20% to get back at my Stormcast. The rest can go to charity.

I had this fun idea with my wife of opening a cafe/bar with some wargaming and boardgaming sideroom and shop in some old dank cellar, but i don't think it would pay off out here in the countryside. And i'm just not a city-person... :D

I'd get a flat here in Austria and one in London, and then pay a shrink so I had someone to agonise over owning multiple properties to given how criminally immoral it is. Key requirement for said flats: space for my son, space for hobby! Do some more studying, buy some more models, maybe see if there was anyone experimenting with a sustainable (and comparable, quality-wise) alternative to plastic for miniatures and support them.

After all the standards (buy a nice house, set up a charitable foundation, then invest the rest so that I could live very comfortably off the interests) there's a couple of things I'd really like to do hobbywise:

• Commission sculpts of my favourite personal GW and RPG characters. I've given every army I've ever collected a background including names for the major characters. At the end of the End Times I wrote up fluff for my chaos generals' ascent to Daemonhood and they're now the patrons of my AoS armies. I'd love to have some unique minis to represent them from a top shelf sculptor. Likewise having my favourite D&D and Runequest characters as unique sculpts would be brilliant.
  • Build a dedicated gaming/hobby space with permanent painting and airbrush stations, multiple gaming tables and lots of terrain to host friends. Plus get really good transport and storage for my armies. In the middle of a major city you need millions to have the room for that kind of thing.
  • Fund TGA and a couple of narrative events.

As for non-GW frivolous stuff I'd go down to working just one or two days a week and study for pleasure. I'd like to diversify academically, maybe do a PhD and also make more time for languages which are my other main hobby. Being able to pay for 1-2-1 tuition every day and travel frequently for immersion would really speed up the process. I'd also love to train in some other skills like carpentry or take a professional culinary course.

I'd try to do something silly like...attend an event every weekend for a whole year, or play in a tournament on every continent.

I'd also ditch my least favourite part of the hobby: painting and pay someone(s) to paint up the half dozen armies I want to try but will never have time to do.

Let's see, there's so many things here that i'd like to do. 

First thing's first:

• Sort out the fundamental necessities of my life first; quit my job, pay off debts, buy a house, replace my car, finally get married, etc.  
  • Ensure that I have enough saved that I can live comfortably via interest or other means, then assist friends and family in a similar fashion. 
  • Go back to school; get that art degree that I wanted but couldn't afford. Pick up a trade in the interim. 

Hobby related?

• Provide prize support to local venues
  • Maybe procure a building outside of my home to use for large table space, storage options, paint stations etc for friends. 
  • Travel to various events around the world to see the hobby in places outside of my hometown. 
  • Learn to play 7th Edition so that I can finally justify buying Mecanicum models from Forgeworld, since they're probably never getting their 8th edition rules
  • Fail to learn 7th Edition rules and buy them anyway, because they look awesome
  • Finally paint my three Bloodthirsters and two Lords of Change. With my new art degree it should be less terrifying, right?

Getting past all the sort of sundry bits (homes, investments, etc.) and on to the fun parts. 

-Build a club house for my local area. Not a store, just a club house - with plenty of space for tables, terrain storage, painting areas, and a large size spray booth so everyone could prime indoors. 

-Hire someone to paint my models - I always try to be enthusiastic about painting but I can't ever stay motivated to do it. So I'd hire someone to paint my models to a higher standard than I can achieve. 

-I'd travel exclusively for AoS. I already get a chance to take a nice vacation a year with my wife but I'd start to travel to other countries just for the sake of playing in AoS events.

7 hours ago, Ben said:

Fill in the blank a bit of Monday morning fun. 

I’m talking a big win  Euro millions style.  Obviously a Tesla or two, a big house and holidays  

after that, 

I’ve always wanted to buy and refurb a huge derelict warehouse in Derby  

06174DF1-DBB5-41B9-82C6-AD7B11C3B65B.jpeg

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/incredible-aerial-footage-shows-shocking-407040.amp

it would be the mother of all gaming centres! 

I had a similar dream, sort of come true with the store we've just opened. But I would make a hobby room or hobby garden room- all paints out in colour order, proper lighting, loads of storage for miniatures etc, with a 6x4 gaming table, all in my own space.

I'd certainly look at starting a gaming related business, though overall I suspect a "Community Centre" approach might be better, so a shared space for wargaming, LAN gaming, dance classes, hang out space etc.

Goes without saying I'd fund TGA's site for the foreseeable.

If I won serious money, I'd look to fund some seriously affordable housing in the South East, as in, plan on a 20 year or longer return on investment to try and tackle the housing inequality, without "giving" the money away. Aim would be to get rents down to 50% of the local market or lower (so around £500 a month for a flat or £750 a month for a house), with long term security for tennants who take care and aren't anti social

1 hour ago, Lucio said:

If I won serious money, I'd look to fund some seriously affordable housing in the South East, as in, plan on a 20 year or longer return on investment to try and tackle the housing inequality, without "giving" the money away. Aim would be to get rents down to 50% of the local market or lower (so around £500 a month for a flat or £750 a month for a house), with long term security for tennants who take care and aren't anti social.

This is wonderful and I will support it with my own theoretical lottery win.

I would also fund TGA, on the agreement that maybe six times a year, at a time of my choosing, all avatars would randomly change to something sausage-related for anywhere between six and twenty four hours.

If I am being realistic, and I won a big lottery jackpot. there's a few things I would do:

• pay off my family's and some friends's student loans and any other debt.
  • retire from my job.
  • move my family into a larger home on a bunch of acres
  • set up the funds so that I could live on the interest for ever and set up trust finds for my kids (and possible future grandkids).
  • buy a Corvette

If I can be silly with my lottery winnings, and likely what would happen after completing the above steps, I would become a patron of the nerdy arts:

• support some of the local LARPers and their group that I used to play with back when I was younger.
  • start a gaming convention/event center in my area, and try to make it a national hub for wargaming (and maybe even tabletop gaming in general).
  • have my miniatures commission painted.
  • start my own gaming company and begin writing up all the ideas that I have.

If I can be extra silly...

• pay Guillermo Del Toro the money for his version of Hellboy 3.

(American here so forgive me)

1) set $6,000,000 aside to live off of for the rest of my life

2) pay off all debts for myself, my family, and my close friends.

3) buy politicians/run for office to get nationalized healthcare and debt free college/trade school training

4) invest in helping the poor (rehabbing slums and not raising rent, solar panels/geothermal heating in low income areas, etc)

Archived