Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ierthling

Magnetizing Horrors and Flayers?

Recommended Posts

Fellow flesh-eaters: have any of you magnetized the arms/wings for your horrors/flayers? I’d like to have both options, and I’m used to magnetizing, but the connections are so uneven and weird I’m having trouble figuring out how to manage it. If you’ve done it, I’d love to hear about how you approached it, or see some pictures of how you arranged the magnets!

(posted the same question in the facebook group, so apologies if anyone ran into it twice!)

Edited by ierthling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've done it kinda brutish way and I don't spend time during games to arrange options perfectly
So what I did was just drilling holes in bodies and limbs and placing 1mm in diameter by 2mm long magnets adding some tamiya putty where needed, now for the sad part - they turned out to be loose and not being able to manage the weight of limbs, I'll do this again after I get more of those models with larger magnets in bodies, since there is not much room left in limbs even after 1x2 magnets

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, XReN said:

I've done it kinda brutish way

Same here, after wanting to try out horrors and not only deadwatch anymore my painted flayers got ruined pretty bad...

all the arms are torso „exclusive“,  so beware and keep track of parts during assembly. To find a fitting horror right arm to torso number 3 is just stupefying work

Now the deep end of misery, my skills with the drills is not worth mentioning...

the same shame as @XReN but with 2mm diameter x 1mm depth, which are also not able to provide enough torque resistance for a halfdecent arm positioning.

so I personally would recommend 3broad x 1deep mm magnets on the body and 2x1 on the arms. The positioning of the drill holes needs to be on point for both armvariants and you might want to be capable of green stuffery to clean up any bumps and gaps left. For good looks, you’ll of course need to store them armsets securely.

 

if you don’t care about gaps and cracks and high end diorama miniatures, work is pretty easy:

Drill a hole in the torso, glue a magnet inside. Now a drop of paint on the magnet and press both arm variants against the torso to get counterspots. Drill your holes into the arms, put countermagnets on the torso, blacken the backside of them with marker for orientation, glue magnets into armslots... done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to realize a video about. Anyway it's simple. Simply link the arms to che back and remove only the front part of the shoulders of the arms. You need dofferent magnets about it. For the head. 2x2 one in the neck, 2*1 in the head

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys - I fooled around with it for a bit and then just gave up and made all horrors. It was all too fiddly. Oh well. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ierthling said:

Thanks guys - I fooled around with it for a bit and then just gave up and made all horrors. It was all too fiddly. Oh well. :P

That was sort of my fear with what everyone's been saying. I think I'll just wait until Carrion drops to see what changes are made before building mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As promised here it comes the video. You can find the topic about also i my signature^^

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2019 at 5:22 PM, deynon said:

As promised here it comes the video. You can find the topic about also i my signature^^

 

Good job, but I would rather not do it the same way, those giant gaps will bother me too much 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, XReN said:

Good job, but I would rather not do it the same way, those giant gaps will bother me too much 

Sure, I said also in the video, there are also other ways and described them. Anyway there are no gaps those you see it's cause I didn't perfectly positioned them while making the photo. Moreover I used bright color in painting so those gaps seem larger than they are. Add also that the photo is done quite closer to the models so each imperfection in maximised^^

Anyway feel free to try and I'd like to see also your choices about, I always like to study alternative ways to magnetize^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, deynon said:

Sure, I said also in the video, there are also other ways and described them. Anyway there are no gaps those you see it's cause I didn't perfectly positioned them while making the photo. Moreover I used bright color in painting so those gaps seem larger than they are. Add also that the photo is done quite closer to the models so each imperfection in maximised^^

Anyway feel free to try and I'd like to see also your choices about, I always like to study alternative ways to magnetize^^

Well, should look the wholle video with sound when I get home (had a glance of it at my workplace)
Sure, once I get my carrion empire and do 9 more guys I'll write up how it went.

Edited by XReN
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I drilled quiet big holes 3mm in the arms, wing and body. used magnets 3mm diameter and 2mm higt. it worts really good. you just have to drill the holes depp, so got don't get any gaps between the limbs and the body.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bademeister said:

I drilled quiet big holes 3mm in the arms, wing and body. used magnets 3mm diameter and 2mm higt. it worts really good. you just have to drill the holes depp, so got don't get any gaps between the limbs and the body.

That's very usefull, mind sharing some pics? I wasn't sure if shoulders can hold 3mm magnets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, XReN said:

That's very usefull, mind sharing some pics? I wasn't sure if shoulders can hold 3mm magnets

I talked about it in the video. Anyway shouders on the arms can wield 3mm, but I'd not suggest more than 1mm deep ones. On the body you are more free, but if you want to also magnetiza the back it's quite delicate cause the grip position is quite borderline in some of the backs. I decided to use another magnetizing cause it mainly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...