Newbie with legion of nagash

Arlen Presleynn

Hi everyone, 

This week I'll buy the skeleton horde start collecting. I would like a bone and vampire army, with arkham/manfred/neferara, vampire lord on foot, zombie dragon... But overall, I want to play grave guard, black knights and blood knights. 

I will not play competitive, but I like win too. 

Oh, another thing, I don't know aos jargon so if you can count with this when you answer me, I would greatly appreciate it... 

Oh yes, English is not my language, sorry about that

You‘ll need battleline, which grave guards are only in the grand host. I would suggest 3x5 wolves for the vampires hunting party, best value fast unit ever...

grave guard are brutal in a big unit so 20-30 of them, with a necromancer to turn the dial to 11 (van hels spell). Smaller units can be destroyed too easily and you might want them to punch first and hard to shred units to pieces. In the wild world of mathematics skeletons could still be better point effectively through weight of attacks, but don’t really know.

black knights as well as blood knights need to get the charge off to be effective, so positioning and target priority needs to be on point.

after that, the world is your oyster... there are to many semi-competitive builds for a good afternoon, with all the LoN legions or even Soulblight to just recommend 1-5 lists. 

VloZd, necro, 3x5 wolves, 10 blackknights...970 (or 5Blk)

or

Vl, Vl, Necro, 3x5 wolves, 30 grave guards...970

into

VloZd, Vl and Necro, 5/5/10 wolves, 10 blackknights and 20 grave guards...1490

After that it is juggling...

all mortarch suffer from squishyness (11hp) but

mannfred brings a lot of value to elite troops 

neferata can protect whole flanks 

arkhan as über-magician always finds a spot

other Heroes

prince Vhordrai kills but lacks generals ability and artifact 

coven throne is a cheap alternative with great buff and Support capacity

one Nagash to rule them all

If you aren’t playing competitive the build up your skeletons, black knights and grave guard. If you choose the Grand Host of Nagash those grave guard can be battle line. Throw in Nagash and a Morghast and you got yourself an army and a battalion.

If you want more troops and want to keep the skeleton theme I would suggest the Arkhan or Manfred with their respective legion. Neferata and her legion are good for vampier heavy armies but aren’t worth it unless you want to get some blood knights.

Then pad out your army with some heroes like necromancers and wight kings to buff your troop. Cheap heroes are often over looked but the more you have the more troops you can regenerate.

Thank you very much for this tips. By the moment I bought skeleton horde start collecting. Then with 20 skeleton +10 that I have at home, 5 black knights and arkham, and 20 grave guards I try to get 1000 points to play my firsts games. After a few matches I will buy more minis. 

Oh yes I have 5 blood knight, but I made this with dragon blades (old high elves dragon princes) 

Thank you for the greats tips 

21 hours ago, Arlen Presleynn said:

Hi mates, testing with the warscroll-builder I find how to play 1000 ptso with my little army. 

Is the only way... Maybe, well im 100% sure, is a ****** with fringes but, at the moment is my only possibility

Screenshot_20190122_094216.jpg

Unfortunately that list is not viable. For a 1000 point army you need to have 2 battle line units. So you may want to split that skeleton unit in 2.

That list would really be improved by using the Legion of Blood and replacing the skeletons with dire wolves though. You will have a solid core to a fast moving undead army.

3 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

Unfortunately even splitting the skeletons would not do it, as you lose the horde discount at that point and will be over limit. You are going to have to cut something from that list.

Well, there's no Discount anways since he's only using 30 models. The Discount comes with upgrading to 40 models. So splitting up into 20 and 10 models would be possible. :-)

looks like the starting box with extra skellis and blood knights... good choice!!!

so, if that is all you got, split the skellis and go for it,

without dogs, getting a huge monster at such level is putting some serious restrains on you, no necromancer etc. (less spells, less regeneration), but that might be considered on the road to 1.5k

I have a skelly horde box, but I don't know what mortarch assemble actually. I like the 3 options buy maybe manfred and neferata more than arkham... 

My next buy will be 2 grave guard box tumo make 20 gg unit. After that I don't know, maybe morghast or the box with mortis engine hexwraith and spirit host. Hexwraith to make more black knights and spirit hosts eh... Well maybe one day I want to play it or something 🤷‍♂️. My doubt with this box is if could assemble mortis engine or coven throne... 

Thanks for help 

8 hours ago, Arlen Presleynn said:

I forgot select soulblight as alliance, so, blood knight would battleline

Sadly, that kicks skellis and Blackknights into allies, going way beyond the 20% and still only one battleline (the bloodknights)...

play the blackknights as blood knights and ally in 10 wolves

Archived