Age of Sigmar RPG

Emmetation

37 minutes ago, chord said:

I dunno personally not interested in mundane lore about crops, jobs, etc.  I like the high fantasy approach myself.

Ahh but that's only mundane if you don't approach it the right way.

See if you know that the main crop is wheat (pure example) and that there's a huge plain where wheat farms dot the landscape which provides most of hte food for the kingdom. Now if there's been a harsh hot year and a drought one missplaced fireball and the whole food supply can go up in flames - now you've got yourself not only an epic escape from a wildfire out of control; a risk for players if they use any fire magic; but also an epic quest to source new supply lines by fighting through the violent winter passes over mountains to bring news to the dwarves who live the other side who can provide fresh food from their caves and deep stores. 

Mundane info fleshes out the world; its the backbone upon which you can build the epic. The issue with only focusing on war and epic elements is that you wind up without the basic elements to build a nation and world upon. This can lead to big gaps in thinking that can undermine an epic moment. 

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

33 minutes ago, Overread said:

Ahh but that's only mundane if you don't approach it the right way.

See if you know that the main crop is wheat (pure example) and that there's a huge plain where wheat farms dot the landscape which provides most of hte food for the kingdom. Now if there's been a harsh hot year and a drought one missplaced fireball and the whole food supply can go up in flames - now you've got yourself not only an epic escape from a wildfire out of control; a risk for players if they use any fire magic; but also an epic quest to source new supply lines by fighting through the violent winter passes over mountains to bring news to the dwarves who live the other side who can provide fresh food from their caves and deep stores. 

Mundane info fleshes out the world; its the backbone upon which you can build the epic. The issue with only focusing on war and epic elements is that you wind up without the basic elements to build a nation and world upon. This can lead to big gaps in thinking that can undermine an epic moment. 

Nah I've run plenty an RPG without worrying about the mundane details.  Players have always been happy.  GM's tend to care more then the players.

I look at it like building and minecraft.

In minecraft you can build a super epic looking castle or fortification. Really big and super. But its darn hollow inside because there's no foundation nor functions for a building of that size. If there's nothing for it to do then you've got a great wrapper but no substance. 

However if you've got servents and passages; toilets and washrooms; store rooms and kitchens and all the rest. Ergo if you've got all the boring stuff that might only be glanced at in passing you add in substance. You build up the layers and now the epic castle functions; now its got reasons to be so large and for certain areas to be designed the way they are. 

Basically an RPG setting with only the epic and no mundane can quickly feel hollow; or the GM has to make up a lot of stuff that imght then clash with the lore in some way or might not add up right. 

15 hours ago, chord said:

Nah I've run plenty an RPG without worrying about the mundane details.  Players have always been happy.  GM's tend to care more then the players.

The mundane details can be things not consciously noticed but important nonetheless. Consider the Lord of the Rings movies- how many people looked at the Rohirrm extras and thought, 'by golly, this film is amazing, look at that authentic hand-crafted chainmail they're all wearing'? Very few, I'll wager. Buuuuuut the little details like the handcrafted chainmail help create the overall atmosphere and backdrop for a story where everything feels like it could have existed and contributes to the end feeling of, "that was amazing!" 

You know, that feeling that nobody had with Eragon, say, or the Chronicles of Narnia.

In the same way, maybe a group whose DM is able to use these mundanities to craft a setting with verisimilitude, the end result of which is players feeling like they had an amazing time in a fleshed-out world. Will they necessarily remember that one little detail about the crops the villagers were planting in that one village? Probably not, but it contributed.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

The mundane details can be things not consciously noticed but important nonetheless. Consider the Lord of the Rings movies- how many people looked at the Rohirrm extras and thought, 'by golly, this film is amazing, look at that authentic hand-crafted chainmail they're all wearing'? Very few, I'll wager. Buuuuuut the little details like the handcrafted chainmail help create the overall atmosphere and backdrop for a story where everything feels like it could have existed and contributes to the end feeling of, "that was amazing!" 

You know, that feeling that nobody had with Eragon, say, or the Chronicles of Narnia.

In the same way, maybe a group whose DM is able to use these mundanities to craft a setting with verisimilitude, the end result of which is players feeling like they had an amazing time in a fleshed-out world. Will they necessarily remember that one little detail about the crops the villagers were planting in that one village? Probably not, but it contributed.

There exists a world where some DM's prefer details and others prefer broad strokes.    But to imply that we "NEED" lots of minor details is not true.  Just that some prefer it.   

So for speaking for myself and others who don't need all the crazy mundane details We would be fine if AOS RPG does not have the mundane details. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

I didn't say you need it or need to use it. But try not just thinking about yourself. If the details are there, you can choose not to use them. If they're not there, people who want to use them can't somehow choose to use something that doesn't exist.

I would say the details people are thinking about themselves. (see above post there its mentioned that we "need" vs would like)   They could create the details if they wanted them vs having them created for them. 

At the end of the day, we should all just be happy we are getting an AOS RPG mundane details or no mundane details.   😀

2 minutes ago, chord said:

I would say the details people are thinking about themselves. (see above post there its mentioned that we "need" vs would like)   They could create the details if they wanted them vs having them created for them. 

At the end of the day, we should all just be happy we are getting an AOS RPG mundane details or no mundane details.   😀

You are mischaracterising HorticulusTGA, who said they wanted more maps and details in general, which you decided meant crops and jobs. I continue to fail to see how wanting other people to not have something is not a fundamentally selfish attitude to this.

That said, I concur on that last point: an AoS RPG is something to be excited about.

Just now, Kirjava13 said:

You are mischaracterising HorticulusTGA, who said they wanted more maps and details in general, which you decided meant crops and jobs. I continue to fail to see how wanting other people to not have something is not a fundamentally selfish attitude to this.

That said, I concur on that last point: an AoS RPG is something to be excited about.

22 hours ago, xking said:

But it will have some of that?  I want to know, what Hammerhal Aqsha is like? and how is it different from Hammerhal Ghyra?. What does it 's factories manufacture?What does the city grow for food?,

Alright, forgive me for not realising you were directing your comment to someone on a different page who had posted five hours earlier without quoting them.

The point stands. You lose nothing by there being more detail, as you can ignore a subsection about Hammerhal Ghyra growing jadewheat or whatever. Demanding its non-inclusion is bizarre.

• Like 1

We've tried to strike a balance in what we present to people. Take the simple task of visiting a shop. Some cities in the Age of Sigmar have a currency (glimmerings), some use bartering, some use favours (like the swathling system). In the book we present a few options for this. If you want to feel more "in-world" you can engage in bartering and trade in favours when in a place that doesn't have a currency. A lot of people find this fun and it makes the world feel more real.

On the other hand, we present rules for basic currency. Both of these systems can be used together, but if you and your players aren't interested in engaging with the mechanics and roleplay of bartering and just want to buy a big pointy sword to stab someone with, you can just hand-wave it and use coins.

The most important thing is how it feels, and I think that will be different for each player. Our goal is to present all of the information and tools that people need and to allow them to play the game their way

• Like 7

6 hours ago, xking said:

DT6idq9WkAE5F1s.jpg

This just reminds me that in Dungeon Siege your character starts off a farmer - by the end you're saving the kingdom and slaying dragons! And carrying all the loot away on a pair of donkeys (seriously that's one thing skyrim and Bedethsa could learn - give the character a pack animal for looting!) 

@Aelfric but if you do that you've got to swap your character sheet with another player in the team to play as your Stormcast version. That way you get the authentic memory loss effect as they try to play your character with what they remember whilst also adding their own on top to reflect that stormcast rarely remember everything nor come back the same .

Edited by Overread
  • Like 2

Just now, Mungrun said:

Can we expect a translated version of the game in the future? In my case i'm from Spain.

As an addition to that question - if a translated edition were to come about would it translate just the rules or the additional supplemental information and lore. Being from the UK I never encountered it before, but I've heard from many who are abroad that translated Battletomes and Codex do not contain the lore and story information that the English ones do. I can appreciate that translation of lore and stories is often much more complex and expensive (time consuming) than rules and fairly standard language; GW sort of gets away with it in the game it seems, but I'd wager it would be much harder for an RPG to miss out in that background information. 

I must admit it surprises me that GW doesn't translate more of the Battletomes/Codex - I can appreciate why and it wouldn't' surprise me if the costs are quite substantial (I've on real understanding of translation fees); but it does seem like a fairly major letdown for overseas customers who are not English reading. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mungrun said:

Can we expect a translated version of the game in the future? In my case i'm from Spain.

Being also from Spain and not being done from GW, I expect some spanish distributor (Edge, nosolorol, etc) to do the translations. 

However, expect a long delay after the english release. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/17/2019 at 12:17 AM, Mungrun said:

We have translation partners for some of our other lines (WFRP, The One Ring, Adventures in Middle-earth etc) so it is something we hope to continue with Age of Sigmar. Nothing confirmed yet though

• Like 2