Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On 5/13/2019 at 4:00 PM, HorticulusTGA said:

And release date in one year approximately, aka Spring 2020 ;) 

Really? By that point why bother? A new Warhammer Quest set will be out which'll do the job just fine.

• Confused 2

11 hours ago, Lucio said:

Really? By that point why bother? A new Warhammer Quest set will be out which'll do the job just fine.

Well yeah, a delay is always disappointing. 

But don't you think that it's better than 1. nothing at all and 2. a rushed product ? 

We have regular updates coming from the designers (including fine folks like Josh Reynolds) and what we have seen so far is really promising. 

NB : I must say I'm excited for this game essentially for the artworks, maps and fluff (I played Dark Heresy and WFRP 3rd but I mostly loves RPG for the detailed  narratives and expanded worldbuilding), so our expectations may differ on that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, michu said:

@HorticulusTGA And we really don't know if there will be new WHQ next year. I think GW will focus on the Blackstone Fortress for now.

Absolutely. And that's 2 different things (even if, unlike Silver Tower, Shadow Over Hammerhal brought a huuuge deal of world building).

But I'm sure we will see something for WHQ soon-ish, as the designers talked in WD and on the SCE Podcast about how the were inspired by ST and SoH to create BSF, and how they will return to AOS (so the reverse must be true ... :P).

(And as we are discussing in the other thread, Warhammer Quest is one of GW's Core game, so they should do something for AOS too along the road, IMO between now and end 2020). 

Yeah, honestly I don't get how a new Quest is at all the same thing as a new RPG.

Can you play a tree-revenant grappling with the fact that your soul is actually one of the feckless protectors while fighting the Tzeentch-corrupted sorcerer who knew you in that past life?

Can you play a Stormcast Eternal dueling to the death with the vampire lord who was once your brother before you "betrayed" your tribe by being taken up into Sigmar's army?

Can you play a plucky Duardin demolitions expert, part of a crack team sent in to achieve missions that the Stormcast are ill-suited to, or can't be seen to have been involved with?

No? Then it's not an RPG, and an RPG is still a needed and welcomed product.

• Like 3

Yeah, Warhammer quest isn't on the same level as an actual RPG. You can certainly add RP elements to any skirmish game of that sort, and the idea of each player controlling a separate character is there. However, it will simply never have the same degree of flexibility, open endedness and player freedom as a true RPG.

It is possible to play an RPG like D&D as more of a tactical miniatures game by going in a very Hack-and-Slash direction and not worrying too much about the story and exploration elements. However that isn't how pretty much any RPG is played by default, even 4e D&D which many felt was more of that sort of game (unfairly I would say).

Its clear from the previews we've had so far that Souldbound is going to be a much more story focused RPG than your traditional dungeon crawler, even if it does have a robust combat element.

44 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

It is possible to play an RPG like D&D as more of a tactical miniatures game by going in a very Hack-and-Slash direction and not worrying too much about the story and exploration elements. However that isn't how pretty much any RPG is played by default, even 4e D&D which many felt was more of that sort of game (unfairly I would say).

Its clear from the previews we've had so far that Souldbound is going to be a much more story focused RPG than your traditional dungeon crawler, even if it does have a robust combat element.

As we all know from telling narrative stories with a wargame, being built to handle extensive and gear-headed combat doesn't make a game unsuited to story!

• Like 1

The idea that WHQ could take the place of the RPG is very odd to me. The WHQ experience is pretty focused, and only on one aspect that would be covered by a full fledged RPG. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ElectricPaladin said:

As we all know from telling narrative stories with a wargame, being built to handle extensive and gear-headed combat doesn't make a game unsuited to story!

Sure! You can add roleplaying to any kind of game if you try hard enough, and the wargames family have a lot of narrative potential. However there are fundamental differences in approach and design. The competitive aspect is a large part of that. RPGs do though create a much broader canvas than most other games are capable of, and so require less work to build a strong narrative.