Age of Sigmar RPG

Emmetation

6 hours ago, HorticulusTGA said:

Good news about the fluff (and the very expected Great Parch focus), but I sure darn hope we'll have ARTWORKS and MAPS of all the Realms (I fear I'm repeating myself here but... including Azyr!), and more details on the Great Parch than what we have in the Core Book as of now (which is already very good ; I just want to know more about Hammerhal Aqsha, based on the excellent WHQ Shadows Over Hammerhal "novel").

I'm the opposite reaction. Aqshy AGAIN? Can't GW spend a bit of time fleshing out somewhere else for a change? Maybe a bit of Chamon? Exploring what a Ghurish village based on a giant worm's back would be like? How about the other side of Hammerhal - Ghyra - get at least a LITTLE elaboration?

Part of me understands that it's explicitly because Aqshy is the most expounded upon that makes it the ideal basis for an RPG... but regardless, it feels like anything beyond Aqshy (and to a lesser extent, Shyish) gets glossed over. Much like how all the named models are specifically from the Hammers of Sigmar stormhost instead of characterizing any of the other stormhosts...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gecktron said:

Thats actually a good point. Azyr would be the starting point for a lot of expeditions in the realms. I can understand that AoS itself doesnt focus that much on the realm of heavens since its pretty much safe and without any big battles, an RPG would be the perfect place to explore Sigmars home. 

I wrote up a big thing on Azyr, its cultures (human and otherwise) and various potential adventure hooks, so we'll see if that makes it past IP. 

• Like 16

13 minutes ago, JReynolds said:

I wrote up a big thing on Azyr, its cultures (human and otherwise) and various potential adventure hooks, so we'll see if that makes it past IP. 

I hope so !!! And don't be afraid of the IP guys, I think they trust you and generally let you having a bit of creative freedom (like establishing the location of Sigmaron on Mount Celestian in your (excellent) Soul Wars , instead of "in space" as it was in AOS first ed.) ;) 

Azyr_Sigmaron.png.51f4249d1cf577d2b3332408593ad86f.png

5 hours ago, Kimarous said:

I'm the opposite reaction. Aqshy AGAIN? Can't GW spend a bit of time fleshing out somewhere else for a change? Maybe a bit of Chamon? Exploring what a Ghurish village based on a giant worm's back would be like? How about the other side of Hammerhal - Ghyra - get at least a LITTLE elaboration?

Part of me understands that it's explicitly because Aqshy is the most expounded upon that makes it the ideal basis for an RPG... but regardless, it feels like anything beyond Aqshy (and to a lesser extent, Shyish) gets glossed over. Much like how all the named models are specifically from the Hammers of Sigmar stormhost instead of characterizing any of the other stormhosts...

Oh, the more is best, I agree. It's just that as AOS is a relatively young (and wide) setting, having a strong focus of a certain land, from its grains of sand to its god beasts and celestial objects, is necessary if we want to engage as DM in in-depth world building.

I hope with all my heart that different central areas of other Realms will get the Great Parch treatment later. We just need to have one location really well explored before, to show the possibilities (and by one location I mean one BIG location, knowing that Hammerhall Aqsha must be the "size of a continent" (maybe like Europe ?) and the Brimstone Peninsula must be the "size of Russia" (from a Stormcast Podcast interview...)). 

And from what I understood from yesterday's news, there will also be smaller focus on typical side of life in EVERY Realms, so for Ghur I think a city on the back of a giant worm is totally feasible.

17 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

I hope so !!! And don't be afraid of the IP guys, I think they trust you and generally let you having a bit of creative freedom (like establishing the location of Sigmaron on Mount Celestian in your (excellent) Soul Wars , instead of "in space" as it was in AOS first ed.) ;) 

Azyr_Sigmaron.png.51f4249d1cf577d2b3332408593ad86f.png

Funnily enough, I didn't make that up. I asked IP because anything having to do with Azyr goes through IP.  So, officially, the Sigmarabulum is in space ('the Firmament').  Sigmaron is on the highest peak in Azyr, overlooking Azyrheim (on the same mountain(s) where the Pantheon gathered). 

And Sigmar Lane is, of course, in North Azyrheim, west of Rodeo Drive.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

30 minutes ago, JReynolds said:

Funnily enough, I didn't make that up. I asked IP because anything having to do with Azyr goes through IP.  So, officially, the Sigmarabulum is in space ('the Firmament').  Sigmaron is on the highest peak in Azyr, overlooking Azyrheim (on the same mountain(s) where the Pantheon gathered). 

And Sigmar Lane is, of course, in North Azyrheim, west of Rodeo Drive.

Ahaha, and yeah! Well it was different in the original "core" book, as it says the Sigmarabulum spun beneath Sigmaron, which is where Sigendil shines (Sig sig sig :P).

SigmaronInSpace.png.1201ff8b38512eeac33ba30e60fb1467.png

Anyway the Sigmarabulum is a more important / interesting location than the palace itself I guess.

And I love the new artwork about it. I hope there will be more about it in the RPG !

1848345625_Azyr_UponTheSigmarabulum.jpg.853e5b14e9a95d4d2d23ecf5c36cc690.jpg

Oh and please write something IRL about Sigmar Lane ❤️

Edited by HorticulusTGA
  • Like 2

I know the 'power levels' are higher than that of a D&D hero (hence Kurnoth Hunters as playable characters, I guess). I was thinking of running a game about a tribe being captured by Bloodbound and forced into the ranks of the reavers, telling a sort of Prison/POW escape story (with the possibility of Khornate corruption), but maybe the system won't support that kind of scale. 

@pseudonyme Brilliant. It could go like that:

After players defeated the Big Bad they wait for DM to tell them about the results of their bravery. What they hear is:

"After king Malethor was slain and devoured by feral ghouls, his army went into disarray. Nothing could stop the hordes of Skullbasher Kaeghir now. The city of Ravellin was doomed and thousands of skulls will be sacrificed to the Blood God today. Kingdom of the Ashdust Plains will join other civilizations in oblivion. Such is the life in the Mortal Realms - short, cruel and spiteful."

Edited by michu

36 minutes ago, xking said:

Will the AoS setting material be similarly formatted to that in "The Realm of Sommerlund" book?

I actually don't have the Realm of Sommerlund book handy, so I'll need to check when I get back to the office.

40 minutes ago, Klamm said:

I know the 'power levels' are higher than that of a D&D hero (hence Kurnoth Hunters as playable characters, I guess). I was thinking of running a game about a tribe being captured by Bloodbound and forced into the ranks of the reavers, telling a sort of Prison/POW escape story (with the possibility of Khornate corruption), but maybe the system won't support that kind of scale. 

We have "hard mode" options in the GM Toolkit that presents rules for playing as more low-level characters. Our WFRP book already does a brilliant job of these type of characters so it made no sense for Age of Sigmar to have the same focus.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, xking said:

So I understand that you're going to detail the "Great parch" region of the realm of Fire. How deep are you going to go with this? Are you talkin sub-regions, Nations and provinces? As well as trade goods and resources?

We'll be breaking it up into regions, such as the Flamescar Plateau, Aridian, Bataar, Aspiria, etc. and then detailed important locations within those areas. We'll have sections discussing daily life, how people live and trade, where they get crops and food etc. The Great Parch has, unsurprisingly, often been shown as an arid desert, but there is a wide array of environments there. Its been a lot of fun to explore how people survive in this climate and landscape and how things have changed since the Age of Chaos.

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

So looking forward to the release @Emmetation- in the meantime could you perhaps recommend some miniatures to add to the collection in order to be fully stocked and painted for the initial release? Perhaps in relation to any core book adventure we might expect?

Such as the hero classes mentioned earlier in the thread and some suitable adversaries. 

It would be most helpful :) 

10 hours ago, Slaktor said:

So looking forward to the release @Emmetation- in the meantime could you perhaps recommend some miniatures to add to the collection in order to be fully stocked and painted for the initial release? Perhaps in relation to any core book adventure we might expect?

Such as the hero classes mentioned earlier in the thread and some suitable adversaries. 

It would be most helpful :) 

That is actually a very good idea. I'm stealing that for a future post. For now, I'd safely say some nighthaunts wouldn't go amiss 😉

• Like 2

Oh, another question for @Emmetation: as someone who tends to play RPGs through remote chat, I'm curious whether the combat mechanics are designed to function without a shared board space (i.e. how you can sort of fudge through D&D 5e on skype, but 4e requires clear range and proximity info for combat abilities to work). I'm sure that the game is optimally played with miniatures on a board (it is Warhammer, after all) but I wonder how 'usable' the system is without a battlemap.  Thanks! 

3 hours ago, Klamm said:

Oh, another question for @Emmetation: as someone who tends to play RPGs through remote chat, I'm curious whether the combat mechanics are designed to function without a shared board space (i.e. how you can sort of fudge through D&D 5e on skype, but 4e requires clear range and proximity info for combat abilities to work). I'm sure that the game is optimally played with miniatures on a board (it is Warhammer, after all) but I wonder how 'usable' the system is without a battlemap.  Thanks! 

Actually, the base assumption is that you are not using minis. The game is meant to be as accessible as possible so we assume our starting player has no knowledge of Age of Sigmar and also no minis. Of course we know a huge part of the player base will be using minis, so we have rules for playing like this. 

So to answer your question, it should be very easy to play remotely without any VTT software.

3 hours ago, xking said:

Will each region have its own map? Are you guys going to add additional cities? 

In the corebook, no. We want to do the maps and the realms justice, so if we were to include maps of each that would be a double page spread for each Realm. This immediately takes up 16 pages of content that could be used for further information, adventure hooks, etc. We aim to map each Realm as they become centre stage in our adventures.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Emmetation said:

(...)

In the corebook, no. We want to do the maps and the realms justice, so if we were to include maps of each that would be a double page spread for each Realm. This immediately takes up 16 pages of content that could be used for further information, adventure hooks, etc. We aim to map each Realm as they become centre stage in our adventures.

@Emmetation thats a bit disappointing honestly :P.

So you do NOT plan to have at least some (in-universe) maps for the regions of the Great Parch you'll be exploring in details ? As apparently its "the centre stage" of the Core Book in terms of exploration...

Can we get any more info on what the eventual starter set is going to be like? Or maybe what I mean is the wait between core book and starter set.

I would love to buy a preorder bundle that includes both because I intend to get EVERYTHING for this game but I'll need a good starter set to get my group of pure D&D players into it.

• Like 1