Ricki's Midnight City - Clockwork Pegasus Knights June 2020

Melcavuk

"What can men do in the face of the Tyranny of Gods and Monsters, what can a lord ask of his people in such devastating times? We ask only that they give their all, and nothing less, for the Weld"
As part of an endevour to revitalise and diversify the Ironweld Arsenal as a faction some of you may have seen my musings on potential directions and a few infantry warscrolls I have floated. But when starting a conversion project I tend to try and find that one concept that to me surmises what the faction could be. For the Ironweld for me it is the Ironsworn Templars, the nobility and knights of the Ironweld marching to war in steam belching suits of armour, raised high on mechanical mount to stand face to face with monsters that plague their factories. In an Age of of Gods and Monsters it is the innovation of the Weld that stands between them and destruction.

IMG_5034.JPG

IMG_5035.JPG

IMG_5036.JPG

IMG_5038.JPG

IMG_5039.JPG

IMG_5041.JPG

Edited by Melcavuk
  • Like 24
  • LOVE IT! 1

I've managed to get the test scheme done on the first two of my Weld Militia for my Ironweld Arsenal revival, the Templar shown behind them for the start of the army. Pretty happy with the colour scheme and the factory worker vibes they seem to carry through.

IMG_5077.JPG

IMG_5078.JPG

IMG_5079.JPG

• Like 10
  • LOVE IT! 4

When looking at models to use as the basis for my Weld Guard (5up save infantry with either rifle or pike) I have three options for base models all of which speak to me for different reasons and I need help deciding:

The classic Ironsides, a nostalgic empire I look but unfortunately this could make them easily confused with Freeguild. A natural fantasy choice but nothing intrinsically Ironweld about their look

8B01A6CC-0AA2-495E-9D70-5223275B96F1.jpeg.9bb4ef4c13009a0a40c4aedea6c1a1ab.jpeg

The long coat, to me these would look like career soldiers. Formal in their guild colours but distinguished from the militia. Always been a fan of long coats. Needs a weapon swap and would have Empire Outrider heads.

814A1970-AB9E-49E6-B01C-BFF7A13E1C23.jpeg.cb6d31d3a578fd60d1ca91dbccf01ee7.jpeg

or the Steam Punk, correlates nicely with the steam engines and Templar armour but even with a head and weapon swap they’re very tech. Stylistically probably the most Ironweld but I’m already getting flakk that the Ironsworn is too 40k5B5645E7-F29A-4BD4-9FEE-98C08F6C77B0.jpeg.a05ee2d05ea61bcf7dcafb69b8eb3e7b.jpeg

23 hours ago, Melcavuk said:

I've managed to get the test scheme done on the first two of my Weld Militia for my Ironweld Arsenal revival, the Templar shown behind them for the start of the army. Pretty happy with the colour scheme and the factory worker vibes they seem to carry through.

IMG_5077.JPG

Fantastic work! The wood and the lantern are doing a fantastic job in grounding the Ironsworn in fantasy and keeping it from being too 40k! 

The colors on the militia work quite nicely as well. The only thing im unsure about is the molotov cocktail carried by the chap on the right. I know, its really simple and doesnt require much technology but I always associated them with the 20th century, but maybe thats just me. 

1 hour ago, Melcavuk said:

When looking at models to use as the basis for my Weld Guard (5up save infantry with either rifle or pike) I have three options for base models all of which speak to me for different reasons and I need help deciding:

The classic Ironsides, a nostalgic empire I look but unfortunately this could make them easily confused with Freeguild. A natural fantasy choice but nothing intrinsically Ironweld about their look

[Pic]

The long coat, to me these would look like career soldiers. Formal in their guild colours but distinguished from the militia. Always been a fan of long coats. Needs a weapon swap and would have Empire Outrider heads.

[Pic]

or the Steam Punk, correlates nicely with the steam engines and Templar armour but even with a head and weapon swap they’re very tech. Stylistically probably the most Ironweld but I’m already getting flakk that the Ironsworn is too 40k

[Pic]

Id say the Ironsides are a great fit. They could be a perfect link between the dirty and ragged Laborers and the nobility with their heraldic and banners.  The axes on the Solar Auxillia are great but they are too much armored and high-tech for a more battleline-like unit with just a 5+ save. 

Maybe you could think about making the Ironsides rifles a bit longer to put more emphasis on their blackpowder weapon, instead of their armor, so they better fit in with the Welds theme. 

• Like 1

Yeah I'm tempted to rule out the Solar Auxilia base models, whilst they do fit the Sigmar theme of taking a concept (steam tech) and dialling it to 11, if I used them it'd then beg the question why every model isnt in one if the normal guard can wear them, and if every model was in them it'd be a 40k force not a Sigmar conversion one.

Balancing between the Ironsides and the Kriegers currently as base model, I'd love to use the Skitarii ornate rifles to make the Ironsides a bit more rifle centric but the hands are annoyingly metal claws sculpted onto the models rather than bio hands.

Current work in progress is a new conversion Gunmaster for my Ironweld Arsenal conversion army. Pretty simple head/weapon swap but pretty happy with how he's come together. Got some detailing to do still and base to finish

IMG_5101.JPG

IMG_5102.JPG

Edited by Melcavuk
  • Like 6

Just popped in to see if you have any new fantastic conversions for me to admire and get inspired by and you certainly delivered. The use of the Iron Circle Domitar is great.

My one minute pint of criticism would be that the pilot just seems to hang there with his feet dangling.

Other than that looking good.

For the infantry, what about Scions? Build them without the backpacks, trim the little lamp of the armour, head swaps and gun swaps could look good. The armour plates might look a bit too good for 5+ though.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2019 at 11:41 AM, Trokair said:

Just popped in to see if you have any new fantastic conversions for me to admire and get inspired by and you certainly delivered. The use of the Iron Circle Domitar is great.

My one minute pint of criticism would be that the pilot just seems to hang there with his feet dangling.

Other than that looking good.

For the infantry, what about Scions? Build them without the backpacks, trim the little lamp of the armour, head swaps and gun swaps could look good. The armour plates might look a bit too good for 5+ though.

Cheers, the feet were an odd sticking point for me as there was no natural anchor point for the pedals, when I do the version 2 model I'll be using jewelers chain to suspend the pedals from inside the central cockpit to give it better support and more logical walking function.

I had been eyeing the Scions but most of the ££ cost of the kit is made up in special weapons that are useless for sigmar. When buying two boxes to get the ten models they're similar price to the Krieg/Auxilia models that I find slightly more appealing.

And for todays progress, the Cogfort is begun!

Revised with upto date photos
Current work in progress a beastly sized Steamweld Cogfort (smallest Cogfort in my head canon) apologies for the desk but this thing is currently pinning before I join the rear furnace up to the main body and begin building out the missing tap work.

Next step will be to build out underneath the Cogfort, loose earth hangling low and roots dragging the floor as it moves show that occasionally it anchors for prolonged periods of time

It will then be elevated by four large metallic arms once the central buildings are secured.

Compulsory fleeing Johan trying to board for safety

IMG_0365.JPG

IMG_0366.JPG

IMG_0367.JPG

IMG_0368.JPG

• Like 9
  • LOVE IT! 2

9 hours ago, TheR00zle said:

sweet mother of Grungi and Grimnir, it's HHHHUUUUUUGGGEEEE!!!!!

It'll gain a bit more height when the legs lift it but I beieve currently it's got a smaller footprint than two bases of Wyldwood so isnt neccessarily the biggest faction terrain piece.

17 hours ago, Melcavuk said:

Cheers, the feet were an odd sticking point for me as there was no natural anchor point for the pedals, when I do the version 2 model I'll be using jewelers chain to suspend the pedals from inside the central cockpit to give it better support and more logical walking function.

I had been eyeing the Scions but most of the ££ cost of the kit is made up in special weapons that are useless for sigmar. When buying two boxes to get the ten models they're similar price to the Krieg/Auxilia models that I find slightly more appealing.

Good to know that the next one will be even better.

Fair point on the Scions, though if you do go for them for any of the units you can probably ebay the special weapons to recover some funds.

From your description and the picture the Cogfort is giving me a Howl’s Moving Castle vibe, loving it.

I think for Troops the Ironside's kit is the way forward. To capture that steampunk element, add the guns from the Irondrakes for that heavy  gun look. Maybe use the Irondrake heads too with the beard trimmed back or sculpted into chainmail

The handgunner and duardin bodies then form up your "irregulars" armed with pikes. Blends together the feel that the Ironweld is human inginuity and duardian know how.

Love what's up so far!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Since work on my Cogfort officially tapped out my hobby budget for the month I've been making headway painting the militia for my custom Ironweld Forces. Four are now ready and based.
I've also had chance to work on the Halberds for my second infantry unit, and a shield for one of the mounted nobles to come.

IMG_5105.JPG

IMG_5107.JPG

IMG_5108.JPG

• Like 7