Bringing the Cult of Slaanesh to AoS

Ryan Taylor

Good Morning folks, 

After being reminded about the Cult of Slaanesh by @Chris Tomlin on Twitter last night I got really jazzed about bringing the cult to AOS. 

So for those fresh to AoS and not familiar with the World that was or the Cult. They were an army list that was provided for the 2004 Storm of Chaos campaign. It was one of my first armies before moving the Vampire list from that very same book. 

They were a mix of Chaos and Dark Elves at the time. I want to bring them into AoS and create an army for them. I still want them to be legal to play in AoS so that goes against mixing the Grand Alliances. 

So my question to you is how would you bring the various units to life in AoS?

To be honesty most of the units still exist within the chaos lists but lets take a look overall.

High Sorceress = Chaos Sorcerer Lord?

Keeper of Secrets =  Well a Keeper of Secrets

Druchi Anointed = This one is a puzzler for me 

Noble = ????

Sorceress = Again just a Chaos Sorcerer Lord

Aspiring Champion of chaos = Chaos lord

Dark elf warriors - ???

Devoted of Slaneesh =????

Shades = ????

Daemonettes of Slaanesh = What it says on the tin

Dark Riders = Marauder Horsemen?

Could one Knights = ????

Mounted Daemonettes = Seekers? 

Warriors of Chaos = Chaos  Warriors

Furies = Furies

Spawn = Spawn

Repeater Bolt Throwers = ????

Chaos Knights = Chaos Knights

Any ideas you have for translating the above units in would be appreciated. Let's get the Cult back!

First - I wholeheartedly support your endeavor - the cult was always one of my favorite lists from SoC. To preface my suggestions I'm assuming you're going with GA chaos rather than trying to stick with Slaanesh. 

The anointed is tough - he was such a beater in the book. Maybe a beastlord with an appropriate artifact or the curseling from tzeentch (he's a fighter with good casting). 

Dark Elf Warriors - Ungors or Kairic Acolytes, both are 'base' troops with a shooting attack/melee option. I think Ungors are a better overall representation (with a bow and spear option) but they're a little less quality than warriors were. 

Devoted of Slaanesh - I'd be super tempted to go with Tzaangors but they're probably too beefy. That said they're still my best guess for the role. 

Shades - I'd probably again default to Ungor Raiders but Gutter Runners are also probably viable (shorter ranger thrown weapons but still a similar concept). 

Cold One Knights - I'd actually go Hellstriders here. They're not as beefy or punchy as CoKs were but they should be close enough. 

Hopefully I've added a few different angles of thinking to help you move forward. 

2 hours ago, Ryan Taylor said:

So for those fresh to AoS and not familiar with the World that was or the Cult. They were an army list that was provided for the 2004 Storm of Chaos campaign. It was one of my first armies before moving the Vampire list from that very same book.

I really miss the Cult of Slaanesh too.  I had loads of fun playing it. 

I would be honestly tempted to try to pair things up pretty close and ask for narrative games.  At least explain to your opponent this is a hobby project you love.

The High Sorceress, did she have a dark pegasus option?  mounted heroes are going away to a degree.  Chaos Sorcerer lord is probably a good choice.

The Druchii Annointed.  What can't be said about this guy.  combine the top numbers of the elf and chaos lord stat line and add in a power fist from the Albion campaign for ASF S8 attacks.  Is there a weapon you can give to the Sigvald model/generic warscroll to make him punchier?  He has lots of single dmg no-rend attacks?  Isn't there a -3 blade?  What about the rider on the boobsnake?

1 hour ago, SwampHeart said:

First - I wholeheartedly support your endeavor

Me too.

Just good luck with your project.  Given the lore (Morathai convinces the barbarian hordes to side with her, keeps her Slaanesh cult hidden),.. I don't think that could translate to AoS and also,.. GW is doing a good job bringing back Fantasy armies and fitting them into AoS (a la Beasts of Chaos) so I don't want them to just rehash for the sake of a small handful of old gits.

Honestly just play narrative, which would be fun. Or ask if you can just run mix allegiance for matched play if you play with the same group a lot. Fun theme things I feel are the spirit of sigmar and removing a lot of that cause there’s no rules is dumb. 

I get that you want this list to be Matched Play legal, but I would echo what others have said about playing narrative. This would make things a bit more flexible and give you access to DoK warscrolls. Sisters of Slaughter, for instance, would probably make good Devoted of Slaanesh. So from and fun/modeling perspective that would appeal more to me. And starting from that premise makes it easier to have convos with your opponent about what they will "allow" anyway. If you absolutely feel you need a Chaos warscroll to represent a given unit you're going to be getting into the same convos (with opponents AND TOs) over "counts-as" models...and those convos may not go your way. Just a thought.

I also loved the cult lists and ran that as my only army for years, however, I do think that the Daughters of Khaine are basically just the updated Cult list - ally in a celestar balista or two with dark elf crew members or cold one knights and run at least one or two units of daemonettes (counts as witch elves)/maybe a unit of furies as khinerai heartrenders? To me it seems like the entire DoK release was basically Cult of Slaanesh but counts as order army - not sure if this helps what you wanted but the DoK list with a few counts as chaos seems the way to go.

Archived