1000pt Legions list for doubles tournament

Lucky Snake Eyes

Hey all,

I'm competing in a doubles tournament next month and i'm looking for advice on how to make a decent 1000pt list. My partner is bringing nighhaunt and will definitely be bringing olyander and mounted KoS, he's been trying different stuff with spirit hosts and seems to really like using those as well. I can't decide on what would be best to complement nighthaunt. (for the record, the organizers are banning cross-allegiance synergies like invocations healing nighthaunt units despite meeting all keyword requirements 😢) I've tossed around the idea of a sacrament list with arkhan for casting shenanigans, but A blood list might be more beneficial with extra bravery debuffs. Night could help add to the mobility and defending objectives within our deployment zone as well. Does anyone have any list suggestions? I've got my mortarch magnetized so all 3 are options as well as a VloZD/Vordhai. I've also got 30 skeles, both variants of wight king, 2 foot vamps, 10 Grave guard, 10 wolves a corpse cart, mortis engine/coven/palaquin half and half build as well as glaivewraiths, vargheists and black knights. I've had a few practice games using different lists but continually run into the problem of a lack of board presence (admittedly my last game was a lords of sacrament battalion with 2X5 wolves and quicksilver swords, our opponents stacked a lot of points early on for objective control but by the end we turned it around, can't contest an objective if everything dies to magic after all 😁)

I'm up for any suggestions but currently don't have the budget to buy new kits for a while.

Hey there, 

Since you played the los battalion, I guess you‘ll have 2 necromancer as well...

A lot depends on your local meta and the top players lists and the scenarios played. If there are other undead or demon players (nurgle) the bravery approach (not sure how much the nighthaunt contribut) is risky. Of course it is always good to make them run away, but...

now, from far far away...

not knowing what your team fields...

GET THOSE SKELLIS UP TO 40!!!

then here some other thoughts...

played LoNight with necro+20skellis (kept in cover), 5 wolves and a vamp lord, 4(2x2)morghast and a banshee in ambush... I know, you don’t have morghast, but you see the general idea. Skellis in cover on Home base, outriders and a big hammer, the banshee for deathless and the morghast do -1 bry for the scream...

grand host idea

necro (diadem, lord of n), arkhan, vamp lord; 40 skellis, 10(2x5) wolves... getting those skellis into overdrive 

or just a little something 

coven throne, 2 necromancer, 10 wolves, 30 skellis and a vargheist pack (with the ct command they can punch really hard (once))...

the easiest almost fits all path:

VloZd, necro, 40 skellis and 10 puppies...950, 30skellis and 5gg for 990 but why?!

Or a bit risky on the damage output 

vampirelord, 2necromancer, 10 wolves, 40 skellis and 10 blackknights... a lot of mobility, the buffed knights can do damage if they charge, pretty high regeneration count

if the TO allows the mortis to heal your team too... auto include 

arkhan, necro, 30 skellis, 10 dogs and the engine...970 depending on your buddy 40 skellis 5 dogs...950 less board control and screening (2x5 dogs are great) but your skellis are saver for damage output and you‘ll have one CP against alpha strikes

there is just too much possible to just have one go to list, but you kinda see the general directions of the lists. Grind it out, mighty charge or board control.

In a legion of Night small units of skellis/ggs/BKs are valid with the bait rule and you can reserve objective grabbing units for late game or counter play.

arkhan brings magic superiority and the delete spell 

coven throne is a beefier general, with cool abilities for a small price

you‘ll have to make the tough decisions, best in concert with your buddy

8 hours ago, Honk said:

Hey there, 

Since you played the los battalion, I guess you‘ll have 2 necromancer as well...

A lot depends on your local meta and the top players lists and the scenarios played. If there are other undead or demon players (nurgle) the bravery approach (not sure how much the nighthaunt contribut) is risky. Of course it is always good to make them run away, but...

now, from far far away...

not knowing what your team fields...

GET THOSE SKELLIS UP TO 40!!!

then here some other thoughts...

played LoNight with necro+20skellis (kept in cover), 5 wolves and a vamp lord, 4(2x2)morghast and a banshee in ambush... I know, you don’t have morghast, but you see the general idea. Skellis in cover on Home base, outriders and a big hammer, the banshee for deathless and the morghast do -1 bry for the scream...

grand host idea

necro (diadem, lord of n), arkhan, vamp lord; 40 skellis, 10(2x5) wolves... getting those skellis into overdrive 

or just a little something 

coven throne, 2 necromancer, 10 wolves, 30 skellis and a vargheist pack (with the ct command they can punch really hard (once))...

the easiest almost fits all path:

VloZd, necro, 40 skellis and 10 puppies...950, 30skellis and 5gg for 990 but why?!

Or a bit risky on the damage output 

vampirelord, 2necromancer, 10 wolves, 40 skellis and 10 blackknights... a lot of mobility, the buffed knights can do damage if they charge, pretty high regeneration count

if the TO allows the mortis to heal your team too... auto include 

arkhan, necro, 30 skellis, 10 dogs and the engine...970 depending on your buddy 40 skellis 5 dogs...950 less board control and screening (2x5 dogs are great) but your skellis are saver for damage output and you‘ll have one CP against alpha strikes

there is just too much possible to just have one go to list, but you kinda see the general directions of the lists. Grind it out, mighty charge or board control.

In a legion of Night small units of skellis/ggs/BKs are valid with the bait rule and you can reserve objective grabbing units for late game or counter play.

arkhan brings magic superiority and the delete spell 

coven throne is a beefier general, with cool abilities for a small price

you‘ll have to make the tough decisions, best in concert with your buddy

I can borrow the last 10 skeles off my buddy. Currently thinking of trying night or blood.

For night i'd go 40 skeles, 5 wolves, mannfred, necro, wightking(Curse blade) or drop the wight king for black knights

For blood i considered neffi but she seems like too big of a target and unlike mannfred she doesn't hold up as well in a fight so 40 skeles, 2X5 wolves, necro, VLoZD(VT, Dark majesty and either orb of enchantment or ethereal amulet)

I guess sacrament is still valid tho with the battalion i had the problem of low early game board presence presence so maybe drop the battalion for 1 necro, arkhan, mortis, skeles and wolves.

The local meta is a lot of stormcast, khorne, sylvaneth and a few death and skaven players. There's also seraphon and tzeentch that come into town on occasion but idk if they'll be there for this one. My partner will be running lady Olyander, KoS, and is debating between loading up on spirit hosts or reapers.

3 hours ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

unlike mannfred she doesn't hold up as well in a fight

She has her -1 to hit aura... but all the mortarchs are pretty low on hp (11) and for 400 points you got a VloZd with 14hp unrendable  3+ and d6 regeneration.

that‘s one of the reasons you don’t see them very often. Arkhan on the other hand brings all the magic and knows all the spells of death wizzards within 18“ also umbinds like a boss and costs only 320.

but since you’re going as a tag-team, you should talk about the strategy. Who’s going to grind, who is bringing the bodies, who‘s doing fast attack and so on.

i personally would go for the grand host arkhan list (like tomorrow in a 1vs1vs1 at 1,5k) or the VloZd list maybe also as grand host, since the necromancer with lord of nagashizzar and ossified diadem sounds totally bonkers, but sacrament might also be an interesting choice to buff your spell output (not having van hels or overwhelming dread just ruins it)

Best of luck

4B072E6A-1D89-4774-8071-DA18AE61C0A8.jpeg

Khorne vs Nurgle vs Undead

Khorne player started relatively aggressive, positioning a bloodthirster in my face, which was why I stayed very defensive to prevent overcharge one-shoting poor Arkhan.

A08BDCFC-6822-46F1-9605-2BFA067B3989.jpeg

My list :

Necromancer General, Lord of Nagashizzar and Ossified Diadem, Second necromancer, Vampire Lord and Arkhan. Corpse Cart, 10 wolves, .40cal skellis and .60cal Zomber Mob.

Zombies with van hels dragged down the poor Bloodthirster turn 2, with 2+\3+ attacks. He killed a total of 15 inbetween, but they we’re back next HP... XD

We decided to gang up on the nurgle Player, but I was sadly positioned too far out to really push for victory points. But Khorne got to stay till last round, instead of getting crushed between the cool guys and the stinky putrid ones.

Great fun, but tricky to balance once things start moving, especially Rotigus deluge rain spell can really crush you heroes with ease. Good thing Arkhan told him to stop casting turn 2

Archived