Rockgut troggoths sold out

Icegoat

First time I've seen a release on pre order sell out. Its sold out on GW uK website. Proves people want new exciting releases like this rather than another bunch of terrible stormcast. More trolls and rats and chaos monsters are needed not more order rubbish. 

So was this more so about the pre-order being sold out or about trying to take a shot at SCE/Order? Tough to tell.

The different strokes for different folks part aside...  The Rockguts are a gorgeous and characterful kit. I've never really wanted a troll model before they dropped.  Pretty amazing if they sold out on the pre-orders with whatever amounts to a standard amount of stock in place! 

Here's hoping we see similar enthusiasm for future releases across the board. More models sold, more success for GW, more model lines in the future. ;) 

3 minutes ago, Slayerofmen said:

So as much as i agree might need to dial back the order rubbish bit don't want to start a internet war....

I would howevet be interested to know if it being sold out is due to massive interest or a small production run

The latter seems unlikely, they usually don‘t run out on AoS Preorders (in contrast to 40K Preorders)

1 hour ago, Slayerofmen said:

be interested to know if it being sold out is due to massive interest or a small production run

Agreed. Being sold out is not "proof" that people want these over stormcast.

Possible? Sure.

Proof. Not even a little.

Well sure without production and ordering data we can't tell - however considering that GW tends to produce a lot for launch of any game and that they made no mention that the Troggoths were in limited demand it stands to reason that they likely produced the standard number of units for that product and its sold out. This suggests that the model is popular and has sold well and indeed so well its exceeded GW's estimations. Remember its going to be more of a pain for GW to slot in a new printing run than it would be to have just cast more of the model initially. 

And it doesn't surprise me, its a classic pose of 3 models re-imagined with great poses. I can well see quite a few being bought purely for painters and collectors. 

Of course we have to temper this against the fact that GW's production is overburdened at present, so that might have made them cut a little shorter on their estimations for production, though by and large its mostly working it would seem. 

Either way its a good sign! Strong sales, more stock being produced and more troggoths and trolls in the world! 

55 minutes ago, Overread said:

This suggests that the model is popular and has sold well and indeed so well its exceeded GW's estimations. 

Yep. Reasonable.

That's a reasonable conclusion: it was more popular than projected (though it could also be that they ran into capacity issues, or any number of other supply issues).

I'm just saying that calling this "proof" that people want these more than they want stormcast is a gigantic (and unfounded} leap.

Maybe I happened to purchase all of the old ones, hence why they went out of stock and were pulled from the store, and I also purchased all of the new ones as well.

Did nobody give thought to the fact that I could have completely skewed all of the data with insane purchasing habits?

2 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

Maybe I happened to purchase all of the old ones, hence why they went out of stock and were pulled from the store, and I also purchased all of the new ones as well.

Did nobody give thought to the fact that I could have completely skewed all of the data with insane purchasing habits?

How could we have missed that. It was so obvious all along. 

Moving forward: Assume that at least 20% of the stock goes straight to Skabnoze when the model involves some flavor of troll/troggoth.

Several items have gone out of stock in preorder week. The Myrmourn banshees sold out in one day. A lot of the Sylvaneth stuff sold out. There was other aos stuff too which I have forgotten. GW is pretty conservative with their production numbers. The one event that almost killed the company was their massive over production of Gorkamorka. 

Better to make a thousand and sell them all than to make 10,000 and have 8,000 clogging up their warehouse space. 

32 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Sounds like an interesting story, is there anywhere I can read more from a reliable (or salacious) source please?

They used to give full copies out with yearly subscriptions of White Dwarf.  I dunno about it almost ruining the company, but they were practically giving that game away for quite a while.

It’s too bad more people did not appreciate that game.  I still think it rivaled classic Necromunda & Mordheim as one of the best skirmish game GW ever made.  The main problem that it had, in my opinion, was that the game was primarily just Orks and that gave it a very limited appeal (because most people don’t make any sense - orks are amazing).

1 hour ago, Chikout said:

Several items have gone out of stock in preorder week. The Myrmourn banshees sold out in one day. A lot of the Sylvaneth stuff sold out. There was other aos stuff too which I have forgotten. GW is pretty conservative with their production numbers. The one event that almost killed the company was their massive over production of Gorkamorka. 

Better to make a thousand and sell them all than to make 10,000 and have 8,000 clogging up their warehouse space. 

And not one of those items was a stormcast. I'm just saying it's clear what people actually want. Anything but golden boys. 

Our local hobby store sold out of everything Gloomspite within an hour of opening so it shows its popular, but also that GW are unprepared whilst playing it safe.

I say this because the store asked for more than they were sent knowing how popular it would be. GW sent out 80% of what they asked for. 

It’s likely the bean counters for this endeavour have messed this one thinking there is little appetite for destruction, keeping production units too low. Hopefully this will kick them in the pants to do better ....

49 minutes ago, Icegoat said:

And not one of those items was a stormcast. I'm just saying it's clear what people actually want. Anything but golden boys. 

Alternatively, it may be that GW know how popular SC will be and so stock appropriately.   

7 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

Don't you dare do the same with Mollog's Mob! ;) 

3 hours ago, Mcthew said:

Our local hobby store sold out of everything Gloomspite within an hour of opening so it shows its popular, but also that GW are unprepared whilst playing it safe.

I say this because the store asked for more than they were sent knowing how popular it would be. GW sent out 80% of what they asked for. 

It’s likely the bean counters for this endeavour have messed this one thinking there is little appetite for destruction, keeping production units too low. Hopefully this will kick them in the pants to do better ....

It's more likely that they just can't manufacture enough at the moment. My local store gets one or, at best, two of every new release at the moment- pre-ordering is essential if you want to get hold of something without turning up at opening time on a Saturday. There just aren't enough miniatures.

With the ramped up speed of releases and the fact that to my mind the new factory (or factory expansion) isnt in use yet its entirely possible that GW can only produce so much at any one time, given that releases have been coming out at hitherto unseen speeds its logical that each run may be slightly smaller than previously in order to begin work on the next. Its entirely possible that they anticipated high grot/Squig uptake but as a smaller subfaction didnt see Troggoths as a major contendor to sell out.

+++ Mod Hat On +++

@Icegoat just a word of warning - I understand you aren’t a fan of some of the factions but some people are. Just be considerate when commenting about how you don’t like them. This forum is for everybody and we don’t want members acting immaturely just because they don’t like something. Having lived through the console wars (the original ones before Sony and Microsoft), it’s not nice having silly comments made about something you enjoy.

3 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

Sounds like an interesting story, is there anywhere I can read more from a reliable (or salacious) source please?

When I worked on Gates of Antares starter set minis, I spent many happy lunches with Rik Priestley. During one he told me how the big release game planned one year  was warmaster, then at zero hour the sales team refused to accept that as a core release cos they didn't think they could shift it. 

The result was Rik and the team being asked for a game in half the time usually alloted to development. Therefore, said the powers that be in full pragmatism mode, it needed to use orks and buggies because those minis were in tooling, and they repurposed the concepts in Necromunda because it had been a solid gold hit so the core seemed sound. A background concept was thrashed out and the game was whacked together with minimal faction stuff to keep the minis load low.

So far so sensible, until sales decided that the Necromunda link equalled insane demand and massively over ordered production on a game that didn't have any of the depth and richness of the Necromunda setting.  And thus was Gorkamorka a big old mess. 

Ironically, it gave us the deity Gorkamorka in the form we have come to know and love. Also, warmaster ended up being much more well regarded than Gorkamorka and has probably made more sales over time 🙄

I can get the logic from a buisness sense though "Warmaster is just tiny Warhammer, people already play Warhammer why would they want a tiny version ?"

Which sadly ignores gamers love for massive sweeping hordes which (at the time) Waemaster suited far better, as well as the ability to sculpt ludicrously 'huge' monstrosities for relatively little cash.

Archived