Let's Chat: Godsworn Hunt

JPjr

This is without knowing all of their warband specific cards, but at the moment this warband feels very underwhelming. If they rely on their oaths to get working, then I'm not much looking forward to them. Telegraphing your moves is one thing, outright telling your opponent what you intend to score in the end of phase is bad.

They do seem to be in the Garrick's tier of squishy. I'll give them credit though, it's a very reliable inspiration mechanic which I find to be a big boon. Having the flexibility to inspiring someone of your choice for that extra 1 move and/or 1 damage can make a play possible.

That "Path to Glory" upgrade also gives me some hope for some pretty wicked warband specific cards for them (Which I think they're going to need with those iffy statlines). +1 Wounds and +1 Attack Dice is a fantastic upgrade even despite the caveat of it going on a fighter that already has an upgrade.  We didn't even get a glimpse at their gambit spells as of yet.

I'm even really interested in the Dark Oath objectives. The three we were shown are all  exact mirrors of existing cards, with the added bonus that if you call it out you'll rake in an extra glory. To me this doesn't indicate that you'll have to call out the Dark Oaths every time if you want to simply keep up. Instead they feel like standard objectives with an optional risk vs. reward option built in. 

Maybe you'll draw  Oath of Murder at the top of Turn 3 and see that the opponent's leader is sitting open with a measly 1 wound left. I'd be willing to take the gamble and call out the Oath of Murder for the extra glory since there's virtually no risk and only potential reward.

Alternatively maybe you draw Oath of Denial at the top of Turn 3 and see that your opponent has some high move fighters left that you don't think you can catch if they run deep into your side. In that case I wouldn't take the gamble and I'd treat it like the standard Denial.

3 hours ago, Skyeline said:

They do seem to be in the Garrick's tier of squishy. I'll give them credit though, it's a very reliable inspiration mechanic which I find to be a big boon. Having the flexibility to inspiring someone of your choice for that extra 1 move and/or 1 damage can make a play possible.

That "Path to Glory" upgrade also gives me some hope for some pretty wicked warband specific cards for them (Which I think they're going to need with those iffy statlines). +1 Wounds and +1 Attack Dice is a fantastic upgrade even despite the caveat of it going on a fighter that already has an upgrade.  We didn't even get a glimpse at their gambit spells as of yet.

I'm even really interested in the Dark Oath objectives. The three we were shown are all  exact mirrors of existing cards, with the added bonus that if you call it out you'll rake in an extra glory. To me this doesn't indicate that you'll have to call out the Dark Oaths every time if you want to simply keep up. Instead they feel like standard objectives with an optional risk vs. reward option built in. 

Maybe you'll draw  Oath of Murder at the top of Turn 3 and see that the opponent's leader is sitting open with a measly 1 wound left. I'd be willing to take the gamble and call out the Oath of Murder for the extra glory since there's virtually no risk and only potential reward.

Alternatively maybe you draw Oath of Denial at the top of Turn 3 and see that your opponent has some high move fighters left that you don't think you can catch if they run deep into your side. In that case I wouldn't take the gamble and I'd treat it like the standard Denial.

All very good points. I also like the risk/reward option tied to this cards, I am hoping that not all of their cards are listed as Oath based cards and I do wonder if we will see some Universal versions of these, or if they are faction specific. Faction specific only would be fantastic and thematic.

I am 100% jumping on board with them as my new warband at least until I see what Kharadron bring to the table.

16 hours ago, Desidus said:

All very good points. I also like the risk/reward option tied to this cards, I am hoping that not all of their cards are listed as Oath based cards and I do wonder if we will see some Universal versions of these, or if they are faction specific. Faction specific only would be fantastic and thematic.

I am 100% jumping on board with them as my new warband at least until I see what Kharadron bring to the table.

I'm going to guess all the oath-style objectives are faction specific (as much as I'd love to see some risk/reward objectives in the universal pool). The only reason I'd be disappointed if all of their objectives were oaths was if it came at the expense of any score immediately objectives.

Good score immediately cards are such a significant boon in a post BAR world (Looking at you, Stormsire)... I'll take it all back though if they have Oath based score immediately objectives. Make them all oaths in that case!

I may also be dying to get a glimpse of the KO. Someone had to be in the last wave, but why must it have been my favorite faction by a mile!

Edited by Skyeline

Well, I really hope there will be oath scored immediately. They can be too strong tho. Like you show card on your first activation and in that activation you score it. Then your opponent would not have chance to do anything about it, even that know that we have it on hand. 

This is 100% Hypothetical, but I'd like to introduce you to Jagethra "The suicidal missile" Inspired:

Ghoulish Pact -> Fighters Ferocity -> Charge, Trap / Pit trap - 4 Damage. 

Highly Likely she then dies but thats a 8 Hex threat Homing Missile to mess with your opponents plans.

It's probbaly highly likely for me to include Spoils of Battle and Ghoulish Pact in all of my decks for these guys.

Edited by Desidus

Godsworn Hunt objectives will be card numbers 175-183 in the set. The three oaths we've seen are numbered 181-183. Unless there is another Oath of A/B/C we've seen them all. So while there could be another oath or 2 in the set, not all of their objectives will be oaths.

unknown.png

• Like 1

Figured it's worth dropping in the screenshots of the Godsworn specific cards that were posted in the news and rumor thread (courtesy of @Reggi). Left out the ones that the warband focus already showed us.

Quick things that jump out at me:

• One more oath in the mix. I'm guessing we'll see one more oath at most.
  • A score immediately card. Confirmation that we aren't going to see full stop oaths.
  • That Jagathra javelin upgrade is phenominal.

Gambits:

11.png.6f41601cc338280e184eaca3ce5b0a0d.png.d45ef91b060c08a135d8ba105bdf952c.png

17.png.42a1756610d8dda4feb4b9d421155d4d.png.c16063cf7e9f9f35c8aa1db4c2d482a8.png

3.png.44a85c5b077b090de6981ff2fc4c1a7b.png.4eebede3048afc9c281869bd2f44890b.png

Gear:

4.png.91e9b5a06dba8be5d86b40031ad62178.png.db6f30bd4ec1815034929e2e6a81aa9e.png

8.png.a19931b58c3f6a12eb0c4d2544635914.png.cc416cabcae35a3d570329c7f747d98a.png

12.png.c8b5bcc48ce5b282f7927b99695363aa.png.c0790f2b4eb0e549661bc0d32d5453ce.png

15.png.ac363c33f4246584f415ddfe2adbbf63.png.8ca71671cb8cf0a11e8b997f73055f87.png

16.png.3580e38d90ff2e095f379f55b40d1658.png.7e895ebbc74a69ffb916ceb7d81dd9a5.png

Objectives:

887348617_18.png.972987c9f0c570eb2ff818af01adccc0(1).png.c30eecda36bb2c85f40aa2d52cf7b01c.png

19.png.9a9c120a3628573b29c72d08264acc12.png.de3c8ea6d3e355393b6a85096bc7415b.png

Really torn on this warband. I really like the Oath objective mechanic, but the fighter rules and card art is a huge miss for me. The fighters, Gambits, and Upgrades just feel really generic to me, like there's not a lot of flavor. that you get from other warbands.

Cool models, though. Can't wait to paint them for sure, and I'll play a few games with them to get a feel. 

Jagethras Javelin card is so good. Also Grundanns Upgrade is fantastic as well, I'm not sold on any of the ploys / upgrades for Grawl, I'm nearly 90% sure he is just going to be Martyrdom fodder or used as a sacrifice.

1 hour ago, Requizen said:

Really torn on this warband. I really like the Oath objective mechanic, but the fighter rules and card art is a huge miss for me. The fighters, Gambits, and Upgrades just feel really generic to me, like there's not a lot of flavor. that you get from other warbands.

Cool models, though. Can't wait to paint them for sure, and I'll play a few games with them to get a feel. 

I get where you are coming from, but I also think they offer us something unique that we don't have elsewhere, I'd argue they are the first true speedy hybrid warband. I can see them playing Aggro fairly well, however they also have great potential for objective play.

When I understand correctly you don't have to reveal your oath (if you score it, you just don't get the extra glory point).

Won't it be always the case that you only reveal the oath of conquest at the beginning of the third round, not at the moment you drew the card. There is nothing to gain to show it sooner, is there?

Or do you have to show it at the moment you draw the oath?

P

18 hours ago, Desidus said:

I get where you are coming from, but I also think they offer us something unique that we don't have elsewhere, I'd argue they are the first true speedy hybrid warband. I can see them playing Aggro fairly well, however they also have great potential for objective play.

Maybe, but historically warbands that don't have multimove mechanics have not been great at Objective play. If there was a built in way to move 2 per turn or something, I'd be intrigued, but I'm not quite seeing it. Same issue that Reavers and Tzeentch have in my book.

I think the best way to play these guys will be Flex with some Killy aggro mixed in. You'll definitely be running Martyred, and with the speed and fighting I think Conquest is a reasonable turn 3 inclusion. I might include both Conquest and Oath of Conquest, since all you need is one errant person to survive to get a 5 point swing at end of game that doesn't rely on killing anything, just not being tabled.

• Like 1

Is it going to be possible for these guys to run relics? Brutal Sacrifice is an extra way to grab one for free, and Theddra can even cast Sorcerous Insight relatively reliably via Arcane Savant or Arcane Focus to reuse a free upgrade ploy. Plus they all inspire from upgrades. Their defensive stats are awful though - no fighter with more than 3 wounds and the ones with two dodge when inspired only have 2. Plus they have no way to bring fighters back from the dead so losing the relic holder would be game over. Probably a bad idea then.

The relics need to be banned. (Putting them on the restricted list would have the same effect, since you need six to make the set work.) The fact that someone in a recent tournament recognized that there are enough free-upgrade ploys to make them viable is worrisome. 

Edited by Tutenkharnage
Typo!
  • Like 1