GW's Half Yearly Report

On 1/15/2019 at 12:34 PM, Overread said:

Foregeworld and Black Library sales down, but not by a vast amount (£4.6 instead of £5.2 million for both).

Bear in mind that section specifically references online sales. Considering the FW banner covers everything Necromunda, Titanicus, Blood Bowl and Lord of the Rings, my guess if that is just the combined sales from the respective webstores combined. It won't include any money made from selling in stores (which will cover plastic kits for the above games), from selling to third party retailers (which will then be bought online etc.) and any other streams.

I think you're right that the decrease in online sales is most likely linked to the change of cost in local currencies. But the actual profits for FW are probably significantly higher and, considering the release of Titanicus and a new edition of LotR, probably higher than last year.

On 1/18/2019 at 8:26 PM, HammerOfSigmar said:

GW's price varies a lot in different areas, which confuses me up till now. The lowest price you could find on Earth is from the independent retailers either in China or in UK. For example, buying non-website exclusive stuffs from official gw stores in US, Japan and Australia will cost you twice as much as it cost you to buy the same thing from independent retailers in China or UK. 

This is so true, and I totally don't get it.

We have 2 GW stores and 1 big hobby store here. For example a Star Drake is 120€ in GW , 109€ in Hobby Store and ~82€ ordered from UK. This make no sense at all and kinda feels like they are trying to rip off non UK customers but yeah thanks to fast shipping no problem :)

The report is broadly in line with what I was expecting. Growth has become steady as the impact of Primaris Marines and discount boxes lessen, and the international price rises bite.

In particular the handling of the currency changes in Aus/NZ didn't win them any friends, because there was no comment or attempt to explain why, or even an acknowledgement that they'd gone up.

The significant drop in FW/BL is worrying, but part of me suspects it's due to the lessening in popularity of Heresy, coupled with the stock cull and the shift to sell books direct via Amazon (costing them at least 30% of the turnover)

All in all, the company is more than healthy, but expect a drop in share price over the next 12 months as the market adjusts to the new norm.

Aye and that shareprice drop GW already warned about a while back at their last meeting last year. Whilst that's not what power-investors want its certainly what the company wants as they are simply not suited to driving their share price higher and higher and higher. A steady share value with a few dips or rises is a healthy position for them to be in. 

I think the new management has a much more sensible angle of how shares should work with the company rather than making the company work for the shares. 

23 hours ago, Lucio said:

The report is broadly in line with what I was expecting. Growth has become steady as the impact of Primaris Marines and discount boxes lessen, and the international price rises bite.

In particular the handling of the currency changes in Aus/NZ didn't win them any friends, because there was no comment or attempt to explain why, or even an acknowledgement that they'd gone up.

The significant drop in FW/BL is worrying, but part of me suspects it's due to the lessening in popularity of Heresy, coupled with the stock cull and the shift to sell books direct via Amazon (costing them at least 30% of the turnover)

All in all, the company is more than healthy, but expect a drop in share price over the next 12 months as the market adjusts to the new norm.

I suspect with the wind-down if the Heresy series, BL has been in somewhat of a holding pattern. We should be seeing an influx of new material in the first quarter of this calendar year, coupled with the first runs of the new and improved Inferno and the results of their open submissions. Plus the Siege of Terra is meant to be kicking off soon.

I wouldn't be too worried about the BL drop, as none of the above would have been included in the figures released. I'm banking you'll find the annual report showing it balancing out.

1 hour ago, Jetengine said:

I suspect in a few years time The Heresy will be seen as the new LOTR bubble. The endless dragging out of the books, the quality dropping in said books, the bloated FW catalogues with endless minor variants on marines etc

All of my group - except one die hard - have petered off from HH novels over the years. I think its been a good 7-8 years since I last looked at one (whenever that Prospero Burns one was released) and I fell in the middle of the group for dropouts. All the same complaint - too many books dragging out the series.

Even the die hard took a break for 2-3 years before starting again, and only reads selected ones now, over "the lot" as it was before.

28 minutes ago, Jetengine said:

Its incredibly clear that they began milking it for money.

You mean, as required by law for any publically owned company?

If you object to a company making money, then you need to talk to your MP, because it's a requirement under law that directors of a company must act at all times to maximise their shareholders return, and indeed a company can fire directors and have them face criminal charges for doing anything but that.

Now that isn't a carte blanche to charge what you like, because there is a price point where people stop buying, but to complain a company is trying to make money is daft *unless* you think that captialism needs serious examination

1 hour ago, Lucio said:

If you object to a company making money, then you need to talk to your MP, because it's a requirement under law that directors of a company must act at all times to maximise their shareholders return, and indeed a company can fire directors and have them face criminal charges for doing anything but that.

Now that isn't a carte blanche to charge what you like, because there is a price point where people stop buying, but to complain a company is trying to make money is daft *unless* you think that captialism needs serious examination

If the point went any further over your head it'd be in space by now.

There's no objection to a company making a buck as long as quality remains high. With the HH series it wasnt and was artificially dragging the work out allowing quality to drop to get more money. 

I mean do you make this argument for Electronic Arts or Bethesda  ?

7 minutes ago, Jetengine said:

If the point went any further over your head it'd be in space by now.

There's no objection to a company making a buck as long as quality remains high. With the HH series it wasnt and was artificially dragging the work out allowing quality to drop to get more money. 

I mean do you make this argument for Electronic Arts or Bethesda  ?

*none* of the words in your post that I originally quoted gave any context or suggestion that you were making a specific point regarding a narrow focus.

Do I argue that all companies are legally obliged to make money for their shareholders? Yes, because it's a matter of fact that many people aren't aware of when they criticise the profit grabbing behaviour of companies. Raising awareness is the first step in working to get lasting change, because I'd rather businesses were freed from the constraints of the stock market.

If your in a thread reffering to half yearly reports, your aware of shareholders and how they work. None the less your point is irrelevant and unnecessary. Customers are aware of when your taking them a ride for shareholders gain, again I point to the trainwrecks that  are EA and Bethesda. Putting out low quality goods to string fans along for quick cash is a short term gain long term loss and is incredibly unhealthy for companies.

13 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

+++ Mod Hat On +++

@Jetengine - Just a friendly nudge. Think a bit more before you post. You have already made some comments which are abusive towards other forum members. Please think before you type.

@Lucio - Please don't bite. Leave it ;) 

With respect Gaz, I post an innocuous comment then someone comes in and treats me like an idiot then yes, I will be a tad sharp. 

13 minutes ago, Jetengine said:

With respect Gaz, I post an innocuous comment then someone comes in and treats me like an idiot then yes, I will be a tad sharp. 

With respect, you will abide by the rules of the forum.

We want this to be a nice place for everybody but you need to sign up to the same set of rules we want to use. This means generally treating everybody nicely and enjoying the conversations about our hobby. 

17 hours ago, Lucio said:

This is a weird post. On one hand it misses the point and on the other it offers a condescending explanation of how companies need to make profits...

I'd say it's not good for the brand to milk anything to death. Good will needs to be accounted for.

Archived