Let's Chat: Mollog's Mob

PJetski

• 2 months later...

I haven't bought this warband because it looked too easy to play with: just place your Mollog in the first position and attack, attack, attack. As much as you can.

However my friend did buy it and I tried to fight it. Turns out I am pretty much right: his strategy is easy as pumpkin and very very difficult to defeat. We played three games and I lost all three of them. His deck is quite simple: upgrades that increases the wound characteristic, that minimises damage (soul trap, potion of constitution, ...). Some easy score immediatly cards and the ploys that lets him move easier.

In the first game, I played the chosen axes. I have an objective based deck and try to outrun him. He managed to kill all my dwarves in the 3rd round. In the second game, I thought to play more aggressive. I managed to inspire some dwarves and attacked him. My attacks failed and he killed all my dwarves halfway in the 2nd round (after 6 activations!!). It was brutal.

In the 3rd game, I played with the profiteers. I needed 12 activations to shoot his Mollog down. He killed all my profiteers but my leader. He hadn't even moved the other characters from his warband!! He only took ploy cards or activated the Mollog.

Do you have some strategy tips to play this guy??

Thx.

P

Edited by Phyriphiry

It sounds as though you're playing right into what Mollog wants. Mollog players want a slug-fest centered around the big guy - it's what their decks are designed to do to win.

Play your objective deck, and the cards you have in hand. When you need to get a kill, go for the squigs. Half the time, if you spend all game chopping at Mollog, by the time you kill him you've already lost based on the glory he has racked up. 

There are certain cards that work well against him. Cruel Taunt, Transfixing Stare etc all do wonders, but you limit your deck by including them. Mobility cards like faneway and hidden paths are great, and useful in many matchups.

To be honest, it just sounds like you're not playing the game smartly. 

Chosen Axes into Mollog is a rough match up given that the duardin generally need a turn to pick up steam and get those solid combat stats onto the field (Inspiration Strikes and Blazing Soul are your best friends). Playing objectives on top of that isn't going to make your life any easier, unfortunately.

The profiteers however are a decent match up against Mollog in my experience. Some movement ploys + the 3 hex range of the profiteers means it's time to hunt some squigs with anyone who can Faneway Crystal, Hidden Paths, or even Spectral Wings into the backfield. Feast on them for some easy score immediately objectives then feed the upgrades + inspirations back to whoever you plan to anchor with.

I also can't help but think that if it took all 12 activations in the game to bring him down then something had to be going very wrong. I've been able to kill Mollog with fairly regular consistency, but typically it relies on knocking him down only 1 or 2 life and then stalling until major spike damage is lined up.

Fighter's Ferocity, Gloryseeker, Trap, Pit Trap, and Toxic Gasses are all very powerful tools that you can utilize to lay the pain on him whilst maintaining spacing and making it harder for him to capitalize on cards such as Aggressive Defense (which is damn well near an auto include if the Mollog player isn't being cheeky and running tomes).

One of the reasons I've picked up Profiteers is because Mollog is a horrendous matchup for Guardians that I just can't get my head around.

Rather than write a massive anti-Mollog tactica on a Mollog thread, some general things that i know good Mollog players have to plan to play around:

- Knockback

- Movement shenanigans to get to the squishy members of the mob

- damage spikes, either through spells or things like Trap, Pit Trap

• 1 month later...

I have an idea for a cool counts as Mollog warband. I really like the new Gotrek slayer model and was thinking of how i could use him in Underworlds. My initial thought was to use him as Grimnir for fyreslyers, but Grimnir doesn't seem "epic" enough to use a model like Gotrek. So Mollog came to mind and he is the closet thing to a "super tough and strong model" to use Gotrek for. 

My idea is to use Gotrek and a few little goblin models who follow Gotrek around because of all the bodies and destruction he leaves in his wake. A gnoblar trapper (the one who is trying to open the gigantic bear trap) as a stalagsquig. He would just roam around placing traps because its humorous to see fighters fall into them as Gotrek sends them flying. A sporesplatta to count as spiteshroom. He just swings his spore thing around and around which translates well into hitting everyone around him and also exploding when he dies. And finally I'd just use the batsquig model for batsquig because I love the model and I figure he would be likely to just follow someone like Gotrek around because of the destruction left in his wake. Basically the three lesser fighters are just following Gotrek around because he's entertaining and most likely, inadvertently feeds them. 

Would this be something that is "legal" in a tournament setting? The models would be pretty clear who is who, although everyone except the batsqig would be a totally different model.