Let's Chat: Mollog's Mob

PJetski

This is the list I will probably try out first:

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,N218,320,348,335,334,331,362,N401,N467,N224,384,389,391,421,N499,N528,235,243,282,276,272,257,291,305,N323,N343,N373,N529,N551,381,330,N317

it has a decent amount of offensive and defensive cards. Cursed artifact, deathly fortitude, great fortitude, tomb of vitality, and healing potion all help Mollog stay alive. 

Hidden paths, commanding stride, potion of grace, and sprinter help him move around the board easier.

invisible walls, transfixing gaze and distraction give a bit of control. 

Great strength, foul temper, and potion of rage help him hit easier/harder.

The objectives are a lot of passive glory which would give me freedom to do whatever I needed with Mollog. 

The main idea would be to charge in, kill something and then move somewhere Walsh to safety or for more killing. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2019 at 8:42 AM, PJetski said:

Mollog will be meta-defining if/when they restrict Sudden Growth and Deathly Fortitude

Well that happened sooner than I thought 😂

Losing Extreme Flank is pretty rough for Mollogs in particular since he really needed that passive glory in the first round.

• Like 1

I wonder if both Martyred and Strong Start are good picks for Mollog. If you get Martyred, you can just set up and wait for one of your chumps to die before going in with Mollog, if you get Strong Start, you can just go ham. But of course, there's the downside of getting both, but then you just play whatever and get one or the other (more likely than not).

11 minutes ago, Requizen said:

I wonder if both Martyred and Strong Start are good picks for Mollog. If you get Martyred, you can just set up and wait for one of your chumps to die before going in with Mollog, if you get Strong Start, you can just go ham. But of course, there's the downside of getting both, but then you just play whatever and get one or the other (more likely than not).

I'm honestly wondering if the best way to play him is just go 100% aggro and not care if he dies. You can easily get bat squig up to 5 damage with hammer+swords on a charge...

2 hours ago, Requizen said:

Looks cool. Not a huge fan of potion of constitution though. Opponent can get around it by just doing 1 damage with a fighter or ploy, then you have to discard it and it's wasted. 

12 minutes ago, Anthony225 said:

Looks cool. Not a huge fan of potion of constitution though. Opponent can get around it by just doing 1 damage with a fighter or ploy, then you have to discard it and it's wasted. 

While that is true, it also means they spent an activation using chump damage instead of an actual good fighter into Mollog, which has merit on it's own. Of course, if they just hit Shardgale it's pretty bad.

I'd drop it but not sure which ploy to get rid of. I had a hard time trimming down, so many cards are good for this Warband.

I would recommend dropping Determined Effort and replacing it with Fueled by Fury. I can go dig up the math if necessary, but even in a vacuum on a 2 dice attack they're comparable. Fueled by Fury takes off by miles if you ever combine it with Potion of Rage. 

I'd also strongly recommend putting Aggressive Defence in there somewhere. The card feels borderline tailor made for Mollog. Hidden reserves would be my target for removal to make some space for it.

Regarding the conversation above about Potion of Constitution..

5 hours ago, Anthony225 said:

Opponent can get around it by just doing 1 damage with a fighter or ploy, then you have to discard it and it's wasted. 

This isn't true if I'm not mistaken. The card functions as a reaction, which means you can choose when to trigger it. Since it triggers during the attack action or gambit, you can simply hold onto it when you know your opponent is throwing small damage at you (i.e. a Boltstorm Pistol shot from a farstrider, a 1 damage ploy such as Encroaching Shadows, etc.)

33 minutes ago, Skyeline said:

I would recommend dropping Determined Effort and replacing it with Fueled by Fury. I can go dig up the math if necessary, but even in a vacuum on a 2 dice attack they're comparable. Fueled by Fury takes off by miles if you ever combine it with Potion of Rage. 

I'd also strongly recommend putting Aggressive Defence in there somewhere. The card feels borderline tailor made for Mollog. Hidden reserves would be my target for removal to make some space for it.

Regarding the conversation above about Potion of Constitution..

This isn't true if I'm not mistaken. The card functions as a reaction, which means you can choose when to trigger it. Since it triggers during the attack action or gambit, you can simply hold onto it when you know your opponent is throwing small damage at you (i.e. a Boltstorm Pistol shot from a farstrider, a 1 damage ploy such as Encroaching Shadows, etc.)

Ah yes, my mistake. Potion of constitution is better that I thought!

Potion of Constitution is fantastic. It has the added bonus of making it very difficult for your opponent to score Precise Use of Force or any similar objective. It also means that your opponent has to do 4 damage to take a fighter with 3 Wounds out of action but can’t use Gloryseeker to do it.

Edited by Tutenkharnage
  • Like 1

Denying Gloryseeker is a very strong point, that's angle I hadn't considered. Advancing Strike fell of the face of the earth in my area once the BAR list hit, so really It'd be more aimed at stopping Measured Strike from Stormsire's for me (and inexplicably there are almost no Stormsire players in my area).

In a post Sudden/Deathly restricted world I may give it a run over Great Fortitude / Tome of Vitality since it effectively serves the same purpose. The only cases where that isn't true involve those where you're going to die from a string of 1 damage hits (i.e. range attack + damage ploys), which is pretty rare these days.

Hey, guys !

I was thinking about that:

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,N343,277,250,257,305,272,N373,361,N401,334,343,N467,N391,391,N400,348,N550,N499,N224,N225,N223,L24,N529,420,287,381,234,N508,327,N420,271,N305

Maybe i would try great fortitude instead of horrific stench (i like horrific stench because of reaper/massive assault but it can be a bit greedy)

I'll probably never play cursed artifact and horrifying armor in the same game (-2 wounds is probably too much), but i think i could appreciate to have both options.

Have a good day !

Picked up my 3rd Shadeglass this weekend, this one with Mollog's. The change to his activations while inspired makes a world of difference. 

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,330,331,334,348,354,361,N218,N441,343,N224,N499,N529,N223,N551,N504,N343,N373,N205,272,257,277,291,L24,305,271,249,234,318,N505,N506,435,N556

Pretty standard Mollog stuff really, only real Tech card was Warding Scroll as I knew there'd be a bunch of Thorns/Breakers players in attendance. Performed well too, denying Withering a few times and Howling Vortex twice in back to back games. 

30 minutes ago, Intrinsic said:

Picked up my 3rd Shadeglass this weekend, this one with Mollog's. The change to his activations while inspired makes a world of difference. 

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,330,331,334,348,354,361,N218,N441,343,N224,N499,N529,N223,N551,N504,N343,N373,N205,272,257,277,291,L24,305,271,249,234,318,N505,N506,435,N556

Pretty standard Mollog stuff really, only real Tech card was Warding Scroll as I knew there'd be a bunch of Thorns/Breakers players in attendance. Performed well too, denying Withering a few times and Howling Vortex twice in back to back games. 

Have you thought about using Keep Chopping? Seems like it would be a good fit in your deck, given the number of push cards you are running.

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

Have you thought about using Keep Chopping? Seems like it would be a good fit in your deck, given the number of push cards you are running.

It was my last cut. I originally had Aggressive Defense and Keep Chopping in, cut them for Spectral Wings and Cover Ground. I felt I needed some safer options in case I lost Mollog and still had to eke out some points. 

• 2 months later...

Going to a local event this weekend, and I mainly play casually so I'm pretty far off the pace competitively (lost both games 0-2 at the only other event I've played at!).  

Would love to get any feedback on this deck please.

There are a lot of popular cards in there, so it isn't anything too clever...just try and score a few easy Glory to get the juices flowing, and go Hulk Smash with the Big Fella.

Please let me know if there's anything dumb in there, or a way to improve this deck that I'm missing out on...or even just any tips you guys have on playing Mollog?

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,N359,N302,277,N340,305,243,N343,249,L25,L24,257,N373,331,348,334,349,330,341,343,N391,L33,318,N218,435,N499,N550,N551,389,N224,N223,391,N529,N486,420

Also - if it makes any difference - it is best of 1 (not best of 3).

I'm already thinking that maybe Cover Ground should go, because I only have one way to score it (Faneway Crystal), and that requires an upgrade first...that's quite a bit that has to come together, for a supposedly easy Objective. 

What might be a good alternative ?

Edited by PlasticCraic

Yeah, definitely ditch cover ground. Keep them Guessing is also something that should go. You've got no fighter card actions except for the Spiteshrooms deathpuff.

Look at cards like Strong Start, Demolished, Advancing Strike, and maybe combination Strike. 

A ploy I would look at including is forceful denial.

Mollog is vulnerable to cards like Transfixing stare and Frozen in time. It gives you a response to those, and is never a dead card - as there is always something worth using it on (Ready for Action/Hidden Paths etc).

Edited by belly318
  • Thanks 1

That's great feedback, thanks @belly318

My plan with Keep them Guessing was basically activate Mollog 4 times because he can go again after moving / charging (so go on Guard, move, attack, charge).  Still not worth it?

Thanks for the tips on alternative Objectives for Cover Ground and maybe Keep Them Guessing, I really like all of those you have listed (although I do already have Strong Start).  What do you think of Get Thee Hence too?

Yep, Forceful Denial would definitely be useful...what Ploy would you drop to make room for it? 

Perhaps I could one of Predatory Growls / Distraction, or else maybe Rebound?

Edited by PlasticCraic

Sorry, I missed Strong Start in your deck.

The biggest problem I have with Keep them Guessing, is that to achieve it you almost HAVE to go on guard. Which is fine for more defensive warbands, but the rest of your objectives are focused on killing stuff, and going on guard doesn't help you achieve that. Keep them Guessing is an amazing objective for warbands that have a way to satisfy two, or even three of the actions with a single activation ie Zarbags charging, scurrying and moving.

Get Thee Hence is better, but the issue with that one is that to knock a fighter back - you have to succeed, and they have to not be dead so that you can knock them back. Mollog is more than likely killing anyone he's successful against, and if not - he wants them to stay in close so he can squish them next time.

I've not actually played a game with Mollog, so take my advice with a grain of salt. 

• Like 1

There's certain warbands, and I include Mollog in this category - that work well with what I call 'glory train' objectives. 

These are objectives that you score based on other scoring that's been completed otherwise. Solid Gains, Opening Gambit,  Great Gains, Master of War, Victory after Victory, Combination Strike and Superior Tactician all fit this category. I'm of the mindset that a well constructed Mollog deck can probably run two of these.