Disheartened about the current stance on Elves

Thiagoma

7 hours ago, Aezeal said:

You don't understand.

People starting new armies is the big money maker for GW. GW tries to make it acceptable to unsupport armies the best way they can. Supporting armies or older models for armies that will stay (chaos) isn't in their own interest. And they are right: playing with 20 year old models and keep getting new rules etc etc isn't good for GW. 

No i understand that fact very well. They are a business but they also want to keep their existing players happy. People won't start new armies if they do not trust GW to support them for an extended period in both fluff and warscrolls. It's a reasonable expectation that if you're buying an army that's available just like every other army in the range that it will receive a comparable level of support. 

Also making only partially supported armies available for new players who haven't spent hours working out how terrible their army is going to be would put them off continuing and buying another army. Blaming new or returning players for not researching armies before they buy them is just ignorant. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2019 at 8:48 PM, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

There's one note that I see hasn't been addressed yet in this thread, and that's the updated Grand Alliance books which GW has announced.

Call me crazy (hey I just met you) but it seems to me like that would be the perfect time to reorganize legacy armies, update warscrolls, add new Allegiances, and what have you.

You have unfortunately misinterpreted that statement (and you are not the only one, which is why they had to reiterate). We are getting new battletomes for each GA, not GA battletomes. Some of these will be for new armies, and some old.

So FEC, Skaven and BoK cover Death and Chaos and are all old armies. So all we know for sure is that we are still getting at least 1 Order and 1 Destruction book by years end and well as at least 1 new army (no idea what GA is will fall under though).

I think elves are gona have a resolution when Tyrion/Malerion come out.

Considering that Hyish is the plane where the Swifthawk  HQ is, i think Tyrion Aelves will have the traditional High Elf looks but with a lot of movement (see namartis for s good example of what i mean). The whole "angelic" deal may be refering to grace and beauty, not the whole "wing and halo" thing.

I also believe thata lot of elf plastic is gona be absorved into their lines. Swifthawk,  Draconis, Phoenix, Eldritch Council and so on, beeing renamed, just like "gloomspite" were.

Until there no BT for us...

Looks like all aelves sometimes will be united in 1 battletome (i mean 'classic'  HE,DE,WE). In BL novels i often read about 'aelves' with no explanation about exactly faction, but DoKs and swifthawks for example  are not like others . Some sub-factions can be separated and updated in new bt (like DoK).  I suppose that Tyrion aelves will be a new faction like Idoneth deepkin. 

I think the "update old factions" block misunderstands the demographics of collecting. 

The average person only needs 1 bank really. But, the average is 2.3. Only a small portion of gamers collect only one game, and only a portion of those players collect only one faction. 

GW attempts to get players excited about everything, and this means that there is usually at least one thing every quarter that an individual will be excited about and invest in. 

GW doesn't want you owning 10k of IJ, you become stuck, frustrated and resentful. If the meta goes against the design philosophy of the faction, if you go 2 or more years without an bespoke update. If a similar design philosophy performs better. The risks are too large to encourage behaviour like that.

They would much rather you own 1000 pts of 7 or 8 factions. It's why combo boxes and start collecting boxes are priced so aggressively, they make it very easy to start. 

• Like 2

@whispersofblood actually I think GW is well aware that many gamers are focused on only a few factions or even one faction "at a time". Sure they'd love us to all be playing multiple armies all the time, but that just isn't reality at all. Most people don't own 2K points of 8 armies and GW goes out of their way to invest lore, books, backgorund and such in single factions. They very much focus on the idea of the monofaction gamer.

The duel kits are neat and they do encourage players to try out new armies I agree, but that doesn't take anything away from the importance of armies that players still collect. 

That said I think the yare also aware that most gamers that remain active and playing and building will replace models in existing armies. Most players who run space marines who've had collections for decades still get new marines when they come out - they replace the old with the new - using newer better sculpts or jsut different sculpts. 

Also getting easy to start isn't so much worrying about existing players; GW already has them. It's about new players. GW is VERY aggressive in securing new players because they realise that for Wargaming, esp fantasy and sci-fi, they ARE the gateway product for most countries. 3rd party stores aren't very good for wargames, the store makes far more profit off card games and is far more likely to market Magic the Gathering to their customres rather than a Wargame that's slower to sell, takes up more space and costs more per unit to buy in. Chances are they get way more profit for a booster box of magic cards than they do for a Knight and they sell a LOT faster too - both in bulk and in individual trickle sales of card packs. 

So GW is out there pushing their game to new gamers; it why Killteam is so important to them right now. It's breaking that expensive start up barrier down even more so than the getting started sets have done. GW wants new gamers, new blood because that goes on to become old blood and old gamers in the future. GW doesn't want to run the risk of a mounting generation gap where they end up with an ever ageing fanbase where recruitment of new young players is increasing harder and harder. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whispersofblood said:

GW doesn't want you owning 10k of IJ, you become stuck, frustrated and resentful. If the meta goes against the design philosophy of the faction, if you go 2 or more years without an bespoke update. If a similar design philosophy performs better. The risks are too large to encourage behaviour like that.

I’m a bit confused on this answer.

why would Gw even bother.

I mean does it even matter, both of this players will be leaving money behind no matter how many armies they collect play or what so ever and I don’t really think that somebody shouldn’t own 10’000 or more points, If somebody wants to have such an massively amazing collection, sure why not🤗.

I mean by now I’ve got a collection of 15000points worth of skaven and am trying to hit the 31000 point line.

sure I won’t be investing in a new armie but my support and money still goes more or less to the company known as Games workshop (or to a very good friends who stopped playing with the real poster-boys, “ the skaven”. (some people just don’t know that those pesky little storm-things are just a disguise for our brilliant, cunning plan)

Praise the great horned Rat!!

Edited by Skreech Verminking

4 hours ago, Uiovich said:

Looks like all aelves sometimes will be united in 1 battletome (i mean 'classic'  HE,DE,WE). In BL novels i often read about 'aelves' with no explanation about exactly faction, but DoKs and swifthawks for example  are not like others . Some sub-factions can be separated and updated in new bt (like DoK).  I suppose that Tyrion aelves will be a new faction like Idoneth deepkin. 

I wouldn't be suprised if swifthawks are included in Tyrion's aelves, nor would i be suprised if order draconis is with Malerion's aelves. but I do agree that the magority (if not all) of the 'classic' aelves will most likely be in a combined tome with Tyrion's and Malerion's aelves being largely (if not wholly) new. I wonder to what extent GW has desided things on the aelves...

• 4 months later...

I started with High Elfs, painted all, either metal or plastic. Painting is fun, I painted electric football players for years. Now what am I left with? Spearmen and Silver Helms are sidelined. What to do with the rest? Have figures to make a 4000 point army.  Suggestions please.

2 hours ago, tomfam55 said:

I started with High Elfs, painted all, either metal or plastic. Painting is fun, I painted electric football players for years. Now what am I left with? Spearmen and Silver Helms are sidelined. What to do with the rest? Have figures to make a 4000 point army.  Suggestions please.

Hello there!

Currently there are 5 keywords for High Elves:

Phoenix Temple, Order Draconis, Eldritch Council,  Lion Rangers and Swifthawk Agents.

It was recently anounced the book "Cities of Sigmar" that will gather old world forces like High elf, wood elves, dwarfs and so on into city alligeances. GW also sai they will drop some models. More information on both topics will be revealed pretty soon.

Models that will probably be removed because they are no longer sold: High Warden, Reavers and Spireguard.

Models currently sold that can be removed for other reasons: Lion rangers (site shows it no longer avaiable) and Swordmasters (current ones are in resin).

Hope this helps!

Edited by Thiagoma
  • Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 4:01 AM, Ironbreaker said:

yeah, not being updated to rounds is concerning. Freeguild are not on rounds yet and they are more or less confirmed to be a viable faction for future updates. I'd say that maybe GW is not quite ready for a rebrand. The moonclan grots were reboxed twice. First was for AoS transition and later was with the new Gloomspite release. They could be trying to prevent a double reboxing. 

Sorry, but I have to disagree.

I have purchased greatswords, outriders, demigryphs and Karl Franz, and they all had round or oval bases. I even received round bases with my familiars.

The squares were also in the boxes though.

• 2 weeks later...