Tomb Kings Discussion

Charlo

9 hours ago, Fullbret said:

So even a player abusing the carrion would probably get crushed anyway?

So the Carrion thing is:

1) a massive ****** move in casual games

2) likely to cause some rulings from a TO at a tournament

3) not even useful in a lot of battleplans

And Grand Alliance Death in general has an Allegiance ability that all other death factions get regardless and some bad relics. That's it. 

On 2/23/2019 at 9:22 AM, Jagd said:

he didn’t even bend knee to the chaos gods or Nagash, why would he serve Sigmar.

Because the stormcast reforging process explicitly includes burning away - or at least burying - any memories or aspects of the subjects personality or identity that would prevent them from serving Sigmar unquestioningly.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sception said:

that would prevent them from serving Sigmar unquestioningly.

That sounds like something the great thief might come up with, while watching questionable unicorn movies...

If that is supposed to be some kind of ultra-heretical fluff, I hope Nagash finds a way to free his old nemesis, just for shoots and giggles.

*grumblestupidsigmargrumble*

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

TK placed 11th at the Warhammer World GT... I've asked the player for his list.  I'm curious to see how it compares to my concept, and whether I have the models to run what he ran...not that experience and tactics matter, right?

Anyway, if I were to run TK right now, it would be Settra, 2x6 chariots, mounted herald, mounted LP, 3 scorpions, 10 skittles (battleline tax), and a necrosphinx.  two blocks of 6 chariots that can regenerate two (that's ten wounds) per turn is pretty durable while tossing off decent numbers of attacks.  The scorpions can make a pretty nasty, versatile surprise, and the sphinx is partly rule of cool and partly my main means of dealing with heavy stuff.  If I see heavy stuff, we're kind of in a horde meta right now.

I really hope you're able to find his list as it's amazing that TK got that high (4-1) at a major tournament. 

I think chariots are a given in almost any list as they can put our ridiculious numbers of attacks, but the biggest issue I've seen is the lack of rend across the army. I've wondered about the Necrosphinx vs a Warsphinx vs Necro Knights. A Warsphinx and Necro Knights benefit from being Desert Legions so they get the +1 to wound from a Tomb King on an Exalted Chariot Settra and can be buffed by a regular Tomb King as well for Righteous Smiting shenanigans. I'm leaning more toward the Necro Knights myself.

How have those scorpions been performing for you? I don't own any, but they're beautiful models and think they'd be great at character/war machine hunting.

I found the list that placed 11th at Heat 3. It was piloted by Will Rose. Note, the list was made under the GHB2018 and is no longer valid because the geminids increased to 60pts from 40pts.

Allegiance: Death - Mortal Realm: Ulgu

LEADERS Tomb Herald (100) - Skeletal Steed

Tomb King on Exalted Chariot (460) - General - Command Trait : Master of the Black Arts

Scarab Prince (80) - Artefact : Sword of Judgement

UNITS

6 x Skeleton Chariots (280)

6 x Necropolis Knights (480)

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

TOTAL: 2000/2000

EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 138

the list is well thought out and the player did very well. to be able to stand up to the current lists with tomb kings ... I've been thinking about doing tomb kings for a long time, but I'm afraid it will disappear like bretonia. Do you think it would be crazy to start this project?

• 3 weeks later...

I was going to start a thread but saw this so o can ask my question here.

Obviously there's a fair bit of rumours around a TK release going around atm.

I'm just curious as to what people's expectations are if it was true? 

Do you want it to be copy and paste from WFB? Or a complete redo of the range? or a concoction  of both?

What aesthetic and units do people want to see?

I think the new army is probably skeleton based, but the similarities to Tomb Kings will probably end there bar some common units I'd imagine.

I can't see them bring Chariots back in a large form, it will be something new instead.

My guess is everything will be made of bones.

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Charlo said:

My guess is everything will be made of bones.

Like my '95 chariots... they were all out of bones (pre-Kings thou)

not sure if IP, mold design costs and other stuff just hamper such attempts.

but the more the merrier, I‘d say

The biggest rumor has been that it's an elite\low model count re-imagining of the army that may or may not use some specific older pieces. It's supposedly going to be made up of constructs (further supporting the low model count units) and have a focus on shooting. If anything comes back, it would likely be something like Ushabti, Necrosphinx, etc.

If all of this is true, it's most assuredly getting a few paychecks out of me.

• LOVE IT! 1

Here's the collection of original rumors for those that might have missed them as things get buried pretty easily in the rumor thread.

On 6/5/2019 at 9:49 AM, Thomas Lyons said:

Tomb Kings are coming...

...and they are a shooting army.

Before the new year, possibly as early as October. 

I wouldn't make the jump that it is "more skeletons".  I don't know exactly what but we'll probably see them lean into the constructs pretty heavily.

Honestly no idea how the pieces fit together. If they are aligned with Nagash, it wouldn't surprise me (this is speculation) if they bundle it as Nulahmia, under Nefrata's control. If they did this, the aesthetic is already present and she would have the lore of Death constructs given her past. This doesn't seem like a far reach.

Alternatively, they could do something completely new with either Katophranes, or historical TK.

So it might not be a construct heavy army, that's just a potential that Thomas isn't 100% on. The fluff could also (and likely will be) different. These won't be the Tomb Kings of old.

The quoted post seems more speculation than actual rumors to me.  And if we're speculating...

Old Tomb Kings were a wide enough faction to support multiple AoS factions.  If we were to see a construct army (necrotect, ushabti, sphynxes, bone giants, etc), along with an expansion to deathrattle (skeletal mage, archers, chariots, catapult), and a new 'Legion of' list combining them, that would allow most of an old tomb kings army to translate forward via counts as.   tomb guard -> grave guard, tomb kings/princes/heralds -> wight kings, skeleton riders -> black knights etc. Maybe translate a version of or stand in for the casket as a faction terrain piece.  I doubt there'd be a 1 to 1 translation even over multiple factions, but as long as like 80% of the army had a modern stand in I'd personally be pretty satisfied.

• 2 weeks later...

Just FYI, I played against a great TK list at the North America GT at the Warhammer Citadel (in Dallas) this past weekend.  Player was 2-0 when he ran into me, I think he finished 3-2 and smoked several people.   Was one of the better games I played and had he won a certain turn priority role when he retreated everything in order to get around my screens, he probably would have beat me.

I know he ran:

2x 6 chariots

1x 3 chariots

6 Necropolis Knights

Settra with artefact that lets him summon up to 2D6 wounds of summonable units (which he used for bladegheist revenants)

Lich priest

Herald

10 skeleton infantry

Edited by Goddin
  • Like 1

They were going to be an objective grabber/camper in the backfield, but since we had Places of Arcane Power they were not involved in the battle at all.

One of what I thought was a liche priest was definitely a Herald as I look back on this thread - his chariot and snake regeneration was impressive.

Edited by Goddin
fixed list

They are still some good lists you can go for with tomb kings and have some good chances in the actual meta (still depends on the exact enemy). 

Mostly looking like the one you posted, but there are more okish lists with hordes (warriors, tombguards, archers with queen, even an funny alpha strike big blob of skelleton horseman.) Not realy strong, but against the right enemy I even had a lot of fun with  a 2 x 6ushabti,  2x bone giant and necrotect build around list. n general I had a lot of fun usin my tombkings in age of sigmar and especially with the acces to Endless Spells and  realm artefacts (actually the one Goddin mentioned can be realy strong too when you roll high and bring some options for different needs to summon to the game.) I seldomly felt like there was nothing I could do in a game and most of them were actually realy interesting and even (Ofc its not the most competitive area ase you can assume seeing the lists I mentioned)

There is also this fanmade Tombking Battletome, which is realy good and one could use those new units if wanted. I personally only used the given points from there for the 2 Battalions GW did and never gave points themselves. In friendly matches at least I  used them sometimes for good results.

The List I had most succes though  is somewhat similar to the one you mentioned and I'd like to share it:

Settra, General, Master of Black Arts (counting as Wizzard), Ethereal Amulet

Tomb Herald, mounted

Lich Priest, mounted

6 x Necropolis Knights

6 x Chariots

3 x Chariots

3 x Chariots

Warsphinx (Desert Legion Keyword, is also buffed by Settra. Sadly no regeneration but is capable of doing some stuff and tanking 2 dmg attacks (because it halfs)

exactly 2000 

Edited by Charly2912

• 2 weeks later...

" With so much awesome stuff on the way for Warhammer 40,000, you might be wondering what’s happening to some of the treasured older models that previously had rules in our Index books. While these might not have a place in our codexes any more, we know that they definitely have a place in your hearts, which is why you’ll be delighted to hear that we’ll be supporting them FOREVER with Warhammer Legends. "

"What’s more, in the near future, we’ll be giving all Warhammer Age of Sigmar Legends the same treatment, meaning they too will be getting matched play points for your battles. You’ll see these rolled out in the new year. "

Are Tomb Kings a part of Legends? Pretty good news for them if they are.

If one takes the Tomb King on Exalted Chariot in a GT... does his command ability mirror Archaon's despite the wording not being updated? I'm just wondering because I know for casual games this would be accepted, and there was a facebook post from GW on facebook saying they should be treated the same...

... but for WW GT tournament purposes, I'm wondering if that informal arrangement would not apply.

On 8/29/2019 at 8:09 AM, Snakeb1te said:

If one takes the Tomb King on Exalted Chariot in a GT... does his command ability mirror Archaon's despite the wording not being updated? I'm just wondering because I know for casual games this would be accepted, and there was a facebook post from GW on facebook saying they should be treated the same...

... but for WW GT tournament purposes, I'm wondering if that informal arrangement would not apply.

Do you mean the crown? The Command ability is a big AOE +1 to hit (all tomb kings)) and +1 to wound (desert legions units).

The crown, however, functions exactly as it is written. (aka it does almost nothing in the context of AoS 2.0) The only impact it has is that it explicitly nerfs all the other command abilities in the army to be only once per turn.

On 8/28/2019 at 10:06 PM, Sception said:

Tomb kings already have points.  This is no change for them if they are made a legends faction, apart from not being tourney legal, and never getting points updates in the future, both of which would be bad things, so :|

Given that other legends units have been re-written/modified before going into legends I wouldn't be surprised to see the same happen with TKs before being eternally stuck. (for better or worse)

At the very least Id expect to see TKoEC fixed and for Scarab Prince to be smacked with the nerf bat.

Edited by themortalgod