Questions about Legions of Nagash

Nuradin

Hi

So I have a few different questions regarding Legions of Nagash before I purchase even more models I will struggle to get painted ;)

Atm I am sitting with a bunch of nighthaunt units and have been feeling like continuing that army into Legions of Nagash and playing the spell casting and resurrecting game :D
What models would be good to transition over from nighthaunt to LoN?

And is the start collecting box worth it? I kinda want Arkhan just because he is bad ass, and the dark knights I will probably build into hexwraiths to use with my Nighthaunt army.

And what about army list? What is currently a good army where you can win a few matches? (not tournaments, just games for fun)
Grave guards? Skeletons?
What should I aim for?

Thanks in advance!

It kind of depends on which legion you want to go into. If you like Arkhan, then Legion of Sacrament. If you like sneaking units into the enemies back field, then Legion of Night. Legion of Blood is more for Blood Knights and Vampires, so not too much synergy with Nighthaunt models. Though a Vampire Lord on a Dragon is a good beatstick in any list.

Skeletons are a good horde battleline, but if you already have Chainrasps then those work too. Maybe some Direwolves to fill out the rest of the battleline. Graveguard are....ok. Not terrible but they're basically a lot like Grimghast Reapers, and reapers are far more popular atm.

A necromancer is also a popular choice for magic.

Everything else if up to your preferences and playstyles.

I like Arkhan and Nagash. Can I run both in the same army?
And if not, which one should be prioritized?
Not really fond of the other ones, especially not Blood Knights!

I kinda like that I can use Reapers, cause I already have like 30 of those. I can still resurrect those, right?

Anything summonable is a good transition. So chainrasps are great, they can compliment or replace skeletons in a lot of lists. The are a few army lists that will be skeleton heavy if you want to stack a lot of bonuses. Hexwraiths are also a nice surprise for your opponents.  

Other than that, I would say pick a legion and build around it.  If you want a casting army then you may want to invest in Arkhan the Black and run the Legion of Sacrament if you want to focus on casting. A Mortis Engine does not go amiss here either.  So the starter boxes that contain these might be a nice place to look next.

1 minute ago, Nuradin said:

I like Arkhan and Nagash. Can I run both in the same army?
And if not, which one should be prioritized?
Not really fond of the other ones, especially not Blood Knights!

I kinda like that I can use Reapers, cause I already have like 30 of those. I can still resurrect those, right?

You can but they are very expensive to run together (over1000 points). That being said they make a great tag team, that will most definitely out magic everything in the casting department.  Just don't expect to take anything other than your battleline. 

Grimghasts can also be fielded in LoN. So can Glaivewraiths and Spirit Hosts, but none of them are battleline. These ethereal units can be good for bogging down those high rend models that can rip through your other units.

If you wish you can also use the following heroes in LoN:

Lord Executioner

Knight of Shrouds

Spirit Torment

Guardian of Souls.

So Reapers or chainrasps as battle line
Necromancers as casters
Arkhan or Nagash as general

Anything else I can bring that is "highly" recommended? Any elite units? or will arkhan and nagash function as that with their spell casting.. (looking at you Morgasts)

when you say LoN it doesn't matter what legion I pick? legions are just subcategories to the overall army called Legions of Nagash? Or did I missunderstand something?

2 hours ago, Nuradin said:

So Reapers or chainrasps as battle line
Necromancers as casters
Arkhan or Nagash as general

Anything else I can bring that is "highly" recommended? Any elite units? or will arkhan and nagash function as that with their spell casting.. (looking at you Morgasts)

when you say LoN it doesn't matter what legion I pick? legions are just subcategories to the overall army called Legions of Nagash? Or did I missunderstand something?

You can’t take Reapers as Battle line in LoN, apologies for the confusion. If you take them then they should as additional units, so they would take the place of your “elites”.

The Legions are subcategories but drastically shift how you can play and who can be your general. Think of it as 4 armies in one. So it depends on what kind army you wish to build. If you want use Nagash and Arkhan together then you will need to be use the Grand Host of Nagash. If you want unit variety and heavy spell casting then go for the Legion of Sacrament.

I would recommend taking Arkhan as general in the Legion of Sacrament. Supported by 2 necromancers and a mortis engine so you can use the Lords of Sacrament battalion. That will cost you 670 points. You will then have plenty of room for some other units. Then throw in a guardian of souls so you can heal your Nighthaunt units in your army. This will also give you a lot of spells to share with Arkhan too. 

Then fill out the rest of the army in what ever way you please. You should have a flexible army to start you out with.

2 hours ago, Avatar Rage said:

I would recommend taking Arkhan as general in the Legion of Sacrament. Supported by 2 necromancers and a mortis engine so you can use the Lords of Sacrament battalion. That will cost you 670 points.

It's actually 850 points

Arkhan 320

Necromancer 110

Necromancer 110

Mortis Engine 180

Lords of Sacrament 130

The good bit about this battalion is the extra spells you can throw out if you're playing malign sorcery, otherwise I don't think this battalion is actually worth.

7 hours ago, Takaloy said:

It's actually 850 points

Arkhan 320

Necromancer 110

Necromancer 110

Mortis Engine 180

Lords of Sacrament 130

The good bit about this battalion is the extra spells you can throw out if you're playing malign sorcery, otherwise I don't think this battalion is actually worth.

You are totally right I forgot to add the mortis engine in my maths. Thank you for catching that.

So I've been looking at the models (I always go from the models and pick whatever models I like).
I love the Nagash, so would love to build around him for a 2k army list.
30 reapers I already have, so those are a given.

I like the necromancer model https://www.games-workshop.com/en-SE/Heinrich-Kemmler and I also know how good necromancers are, so really want that model in there!

I love the Vampire Lord model https://www.games-workshop.com/en-SE/Vlad-Von-Carstein but in the description it says some vampire lords can have membraneous wings and thus gain flying and more movement? Do they cost more points if you pick such a model and does your model have to have the membraneous wings, meaning I can't go with the Von Carstein-model and instead have to go with the generic Winged Vampire Lord model?

I am on the fence about whether to go skeletons or go chainrasps. I like the idea of going skeletons cause I can paint them as if they are raised Stormcast Eternals (even though it doesn't fit the lore :D). But either a block of 40 skeletons or a block of 40 chainrasps seems appropriate!

All this puts me at 1690 points. I have no idea what sort of endless spells I want, but I assume I want the spellportal for increased range on my spells?
And also not sure how to fill out my army.
2*5 dire wolves? 2*10? They are dirt cheap, fast and fills out my battleline

In a 1k and 1.5k army I would almost prefer to go with Arkhan than Nagash just to be able to field more bodies, but the idea would look the same!

What do you think? are there enough bodies to contend?

Money-wise this should get me my army for around 170 more euro, which I am okay with. 220 euros if I where to buy the starter box with Arkhan as well. Also okay with that.

I think going for the starter set with Arkhan is the more cost effective option.

However if you are set with Nagash then build up a bit more cheap battle line. A Wight King would not go amiss to boost those skeletons either. If you build more towards chainrasp then go for a knight of Shrouds.

Vampires with wings don’t cost more points. Just make it clear to your opponents that is how you are fielding it and you should be fine.

Archived