Buying 2xFEC Start Collecting! Boxes, Need List Help!

TopHatCat

Heya gang,
So I'm looking to get into AoS on the cheap end, so since the Start Collecting boxes are such amazing value I really love the idea of buying 2 of those and just getting stuck in! Hooooowever I'm an old Fantasy player and have yet to take the dive into AoS so not very familiar with what's good etc. So would love to get some Army List advice!

These are the Army Lists I've worked out so far, but I'd love for people to join me in this theorycrafting! From 2x SC boxes you get 2x GK on Terror/Dragon (or GK on foot and Monster solo), 6x Horrors/Flayers and 20x Ghouls. (Plus could likely convert a Crypt Ghast Courtier very easily). I'm also looking to split the Carrion Empire set with a friend meaning I'll get an addition 1x GK on foot, 6x Horrors/Flayers and 10x Ghouls.

So with that in mind, I've worked on a few lists;

Main List - 1,500pts;

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon (440)
- General
- Trait: Dark Wizardry
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist (400)
- Artefact: The Grim Garland
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
6 x Crypt Horrors (320)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

Total: 1500 / 1500
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 82

With all the mini's we have access to it rounds out nicely to a 1.5k Army. The main goal of the list is for the GK on Zombie Dragon to Summon a Varghulf Courtier (which I don't mind buying), and then our GK on Terrorgheist Summons another unit of Crypt Horrors, allowing the Courtier to support both units of Horrors (refilling whenever any die/or refilling any nearby Ghouls when stuff dies). I'm not SUPER familiar with Malign Sorcery so I feel like there are likely some better Artefact choices in there, so please feel free to tweek and improve the list as that's exactly the sort of help I'm seeking! :D

1,000pts;

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts
Abhorrant Ghoul King (140)
- General
- Trait: Magestic Horror
Varghulf Courtier (160)
- Artefact: Blood River Chalice
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
6 x Crypt Horrors (320)
3 x Crypt Horrors (160)
Quicksilver Swords (20)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 70

The idea of this list is that the Varghulf supports the 2 units of Horrors, hopefully refilling the 3x strong unit with extra bodies, whilst the Ghoul King sticks near the Ghouls and supports them/makes new units, pretty simple. Focuses more on Horrors, since can always just Summon more Ghouls. I was tempted to run a GK on Dragon to cheat in the Courtier but the points never quite worked out.

2,000pts;
I was going to start this list off similar to the 1.5k version, have my GK on Dragon summon in a Varghulf to support my Horrors, but after that I got kindof stuck.. I'm actually not entirely sure what I want to do for 2k points, since I'll be starting around 1,500pts I don't mind buying a few extra units to flesh out into a 2k army.
I'd likely pick a Battalion at this stage and the easiest/best looking ones would have to be Attendants at Court (which leads nicely into Abattoir and King's Ghouls but they don't seem that great..?) and Ghoul Patrol, already having most of the models required to take advantage of them! (Would just need to invest/convert a Haunter Courtier. But honestly not exactly sure which direction to go/which units to pick for my list and which to summon during the game.
So any and all advice here is more than welcome! :D

So over all I've listed what units I'll have available (and like I said don't mind investing in a few other units, but want to try and keep things cheap!) but would love some advice from better FEC players! So please feel free to tweek/changes the lists or heck just write up a whole new one using what we have!

🎩
😸      So BIG Thanks in advance for helping a "new" player! You rock! ❤️  

I'd say that half carrion empire + 2 SC boxes would be BARELY enough for strong 1.5K list, you really need a lot of models since we summon them in huge numbers

Also trait and artefact choices IMO are sub-optimal, most of the time you want Majestic Horror as your trait, two artefacts that work particulary well for me are Essence of Vulcatrix on ghoul king on terrorgheist and Flayed Pennant to pull of charges with summoned units and 14" move monsters
ALSO Flesh-Eaters do not have wizards available to cast endless spells, really

18 minutes ago, XReN said:

you really need a lot of models since we summon them in huge numbers

what he said... but you can easily calculate that (3horror / GkoTg) and maybe magnetize your horrors/flayer.

but the start collecting boxes will set you up, if you´re into hordes (and have an airbrush for painting ;-D ) you might want to buy some ghoul boxes too. but first I would suggest two of the start collecting boxes (2 kings on terrorgheist/dragon, 6 horrors/flayers and iirc 20 ghouls) that´s 1000 points and one king summons the elite with majestic horror (no regeneration of models, so better be careful). But the corresponding heroes are being built out of the normal sprue, leaving you with some odd numbers, especially stupid for horrors (maybe plan for varghulfs)

6 minutes ago, Honk said:

what he said...

Maybe I had to emphasise A LOT a bit more)

Last saturday I've won a 1750 3 games tourney and with all the summoing I fielded 50 ghouls (all I have), 12 horrors, GKoTG, crypt ghast and 2 varghulfs and was still short on ghouls!

I was just hoping to get by on Summoning some Horrors and replenishing Ghouls (as can only assume they die in droves), was probably gonna get 1 extra box of Ghouls just in case too... leaving me with like, 30 in the list, 40 in total...

But by the sounds of things I'm gonna need like 50 more boxes? 🤣 Baaaah I hate the Summoning culture that smothers AoS at the moment! Wanted to Start Lizardmen too but they're all Slanns and Skinks and Summoning at the mo! (Granted, it's a smart move on GW's part, hey buy these extra models just in case! 😂)

So should I not bother at all or? 😢 Won't lie I don't mind fielding like 40-50 models (*ghouls) but defo not a Horde style of player. Just looking for a good jumping on point

(Gonna go ahead and plug my previous thread on the subject:

52 minutes ago, TopHatCat said:

But by the sounds of things I'm gonna need like 50 more boxes? 🤣 Baaaah I hate the Summoning culture that smothers AoS at the moment!

Sorry man, this is how it goes
Try to check out "Bill Souza's Monster Mash", but you will want 3 FEC SC's, Skeleton Horde SC (the one with mortarch, to be built as Arkhan) and another 3 horrors, that's pretty elite list with 3 terrorgheist mounted GKings, Arkhan the Black, some ghouls for battleline and 12 horrors/flayers to summon

And it's not summoning culture, it's the way armies should play so they won't be at a disadvantage

17 minutes ago, XReN said:

And it's not summoning culture, it's the way armies should play so they won't be at a disadvantage

Just feels that way to me at the moment for the armies I really like, FEC are Summoning focused (despite me feeling that's more sorta Death/Zombie/Skeletons kindof area), Lizardmen (so salty at their new playstyle lol), BoC, Tzeentch, Chaos in general... But hey since I'm asking what's the average number of Ghouls you -should- have for 1k, 1.5k, 2k etc.

I'll look into that list, Thank you! Though that's a heck of a lot of boxes haha, guessing I'm a fool for thinking I can get into the hobby on the cheap for sub £100-ish/or via SC boxes >.>;; Still this is some great feedback so thank you for your help! :D

6 minutes ago, TopHatCat said:

Just feels that way to me at the moment for the armies I really like, FEC are Summoning focused (despite me feeling that's more sorta Death/Zombie/Skeletons kindof area), Lizardmen (so salty at their new playstyle lol), BoC, Tzeentch, Chaos in general... But hey since I'm asking what's the average number of Ghouls you -should- have for 1k, 1.5k, 2k etc.

I'll look into that list, Thank you! Though that's a heck of a lot of boxes haha, guessing I'm a fool for thinking I can get into the hobby on the cheap for sub £100-ish >.>;;

It really depends on your list since you can field from 0 to A LOT of ghouls on any point format, due to summoning I had 40 (10 on table and 30 to summon) with 2nd battleline being 6 horrors in 750 pts list, but, as said, you can go elite therefore having just 30 is fine

The cheapest aroud IMO are stormcast, since you can go and buy cheap as dirt starter set minies from hands. And they don't do summoning

28 minutes ago, TopHatCat said:

I'll look into that list, Thank you! Though that's a heck of a lot of boxes haha, guessing I'm a fool for thinking I can get into the hobby on the cheap for sub £100-ish/or via SC boxes >.>;; Still this is some great feedback so thank you for your help! :D

You can get in cheap but not with summoning armies

To be honest, for me YMMV, its less about the summoning and more about the fact that Ghouls are just better at 20 up and with our particular brand of recursion you want to make sure your ghouls stay on the field so they can fill back up.  Generally the only time I take a 10 block of ghouls is when I summon them in or I'm wanting to play monster mash and need that 3 min battleline. Otherwise I generally run 30/20/20 in my ghoul patrol list. A 10 man unit will get melted before you even get to add any back to it, especially if you get double turned. 

Summon wise I will often summon in a double 3 man Horror unit, a courtier, or a 10 man ghoul unit late game to steal an objective.

1 hour ago, Honk said:

Problem are the courtiers, they are also being build out of the spruce... so your 10 ghouls are suddenly 9 and a courtier 😓

same goes for the horrors...

That's why I just bought a box simply to make Courtiers out of.  ATM my collection is:  2 King on Ghiest, 1 King on Dragon, 1 Varghulf (converted), 1 Haunter, 1 Infernal, 3 Crypt Courtier, 12 Horrors, 3 Flayers, and I think I'm up to 150 ghouls

On 1/14/2019 at 11:47 AM, XReN said:

Try to check out "Bill Souza's Monster Mash"

After looking this up I think I'm in love! BIG Monsters? Sign me up. I adore the idea behind this list, just the sort of army I'm looking for!

Think I'm going to start off by buy 2 FEC boxes, get everything built and painted (save myself from the "Plastic pile of Shame" if I were to buy it all at once), maybe play a few 1k or 1.5k games get a feel for AoS see if I do enjoy it, then invest into finishing off that list. Very excited, thanks for pointing it out! :)

6 hours ago, TopHatCat said:

Plastic pile of Shame

It’s the „pile of accomplishment“!!!

I love cutting up sprues, filing and glueing. And FEC are quite easy to rough paint with an airbrush, blasted through my first 60 ghouls... oh the memories 

Archived