Painting for skirmish

Moldek

Hello everyone, 

I’ve bought the storm strike box for me and my girlfriend, so I’m trying to come up with a stormcast paint scheme that I like.  I’m going for a relatively grim vibe, I see them as warrior monks worshipped and followed by various fanatics.

I’m pretty happy with my basic color scheme but I’m open to honest criticism :)

I’m thinking I need an additional spot color, for trinkets and such, and not sure I should keep the mask and pauldrons as bare metal or paint them white / cream or something else...

what do you think?

4BABB8E3-7114-49A9-92A0-28C6615F12BD.jpeg

BD0E87A6-8C0E-4AB6-9ED4-5D26DB959BD2.jpeg

Defiantly very grim, the red works well.! You defiantly need a spot colour though. I'm no colour theorist. but i'd probably add a very small dash of blue. 
The bare metal is cool, but it does make the model a bit uneven, as all the brightness is towards the bottom. You might be able to supplement the metals by adding either some colour to the eyes as a glow effect, or even the little anvil symbol on his helmet. I wouldn't go mad with colour though, just something to add some focus to the face.

Some one with a better eye for colour than me would probably be able to tell you what colour goes with them with out being overpowering! (I hate using colour wheels, as I'm useless with them!)

You could try giving the crystals and hourglasses a blue glow, and then keep onlookers' eyes moving around the model by giving them a blue glow deep in the eye sockets to tie it together?

You could also use the same glow on the recessed detail of the weapons, making them look magically empowered.

I like your use of bare metal, though!  I did the same thing; I think it makes them look less glaring than gold.

902875_sm-.JPG[/url]

Those are good suggestions @Aegisgrimm , but I don’t think I want to go that way. My natural tendency leans closer to rust caked, dust covered, filthy models, so doing (kind of) clean robes and such is already an effort 😅

Plus I find that excessive use of glow can be really nice but is a bit too world-of-warcrafty for my tastes. But mostly I don’t think I could pull it off...

btw I’m pretty sure I saw your stormcast somewhere and I think they look dope. Crisp painting, and the bare heads makes them more into heroes instead of statues...

So I went and paintedsome details a bright shade of turquoise, with some pretty crisp highlights, then tried to tone them down by using a wash over them. Obviously this went terribly (especially on the pauldron)... so next time I’ll do a proper glaze or just use better colors from the start! I still think the overall hue is good and ties the color scheme together, what’s your opinion people?

7B7C73C1-7AA0-4667-A067-E6E4E3CC982B.jpeg

4B8D5EFE-1191-4219-8659-309B948622F6.jpeg

2EB35043-5346-4F74-A1A7-6FF924872EC0.jpeg

@Tzaangor Management thanks for taking the time to comment! I agree that the shoulders need something but I’m kind of reluctant to paint them cream , I’m afraid of losing the threatening look of bare metal, and it might be weird to have them the same color as the cloth and parchment. Maybe if I leave the trim metal and just paint the main plate?

I see what you mean on the fingers, I didn’t want to paint them metal to keep them distinct from the weapon but maybe I should 🤔

I have to think a bit about it, I may keep it like that for now as in person it still looks decent. One thing I’ll definitely do is pick up a lighter metallic to highlight the face and make it stand out more

So I ended up painting the shoulders. I think it looks decent, it does balance the mini a bit more. What are your thoughts? Should I add some scribbles to the left shoulder like on the parchment? Or maybe a symbol if you have any ideas!

0D8FC22C-3C5B-49F6-802B-4C647067EF37.jpeg

A313923D-9A7E-431E-9177-E1CB80B2F7A6.jpeg

47FA98DC-615E-40F1-85DD-F387A9E26E13.jpeg

these are great. I, personally, wouldn't worry too much about the blank pauldron. You can definitely throw too much at minis (well you certainly can when your skills are as limited as mine) especially when they're for tabletop use rather than display. Plus you can always come back to it later once you've got a load done.

The only thing I'd suggest, and I hesitate to say because of my aforementioned skill level, is that the red robe could possibly do with a bit more shading, especially on the front.

It could just be the way the model was lit/photographed but another pass with something like Agrax Earthshade (all over the cloth but especially worked into the recessed cloth areas) might reduce the slightly shiny/plasticy look (which again could just be the photo), give it more depth and mute the red a bit so to tie it in more with the overall gritty look.

Actually now I look at it again if I was going to mess around more then I might be tempted to add in the turquoise spot colour you've used into recessed details on the hammer's head (the kite & 3 triangles), it could be overkill and totally ruin your model (oops! though easily fixed) but it could also break up the drab steel, and give the feeling of some kind of aetheric charge/power contained in the hammer.

EDIT: just saw someone already mentioned the recessed details on the hammer, teach me to skim read...

You make some very good points @JPjr, I need to remember that I still have a dozen of those guys to paint. I may go back and add some decorative elements later when they’re done. Actually I was thinking of painting some black and white squares (the english word eludes me) or such that could give them a nice oldhammer vibe, but I’ll keep that for when they’re tabletop ready :)

I’m not really sold on the blue glow, I want to stay with a more low-fantasy vibe. But I’m thinking of painting the handle brown to break up that bare metal.

I have my other two sequitors primed and ready for painting. I think this thread is naturally gonna turn into my painting log 😅

• 1 month later...

It’s been a while I posted, so here’s a quick update!

I have been working on some terrain while I was slowly painting my stormcast. The 6 from the storm strike box are painted, I still have to paint the gryphound and a knight incantor I bought. I ended up going with gold rather than blue/green, looks a bit more low fantasy I think.

here is a couple of pics, I’ll post more later this week! Any comments welcome :)

D34CEA55-9A8B-4540-9E1C-1805BD5150C8.jpeg

F7ED5C48-551B-4754-9DBE-06C4CA1241EE.jpeg

39AE993E-D8FF-4579-A11A-A2915A581613.jpeg

Your stormcast are looking very sweet with a down to earth kind of vibe to them. I agree with what @JPjr said about adding another wash to the red cloth to give it a grimier feeling but overall love the look. 

Now I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I’m afraid you’ve made one glairing mistake: You bought the storm strike box for you and your girlfriend so you must paint her minis AT LEAST as nice as you have those stormcast. You’ve set the bar too high lol!

@Lior'Lec Haha I don’t worry about the nighthaunt, my girlfriend will paint her own damn miniatures 😉 well, I might help her... She has already put some paint on a couple models, and with an airbrush it looks pretty good, I’ve got competition!

I’ll keep your point about the red cloth in mind, I might do a few touch ups before varnishing...

• 1 month later...

Small update! Thanks to the painting contract I’ve painted up my gryphound and a converted knigh incantor. Those are some quick instagram pics, I’ll post some better ones next week.

The next thing for this month is 6 more gryphounds, really fun to paint! And then probably free peoples / devoted of sigmar. I’m done with stormcasts for a while I think!

as always, c&c welcome :)

5D281F20-3FF1-4CD4-B5D6-33F25E806A34.jpeg

37BF749F-2148-4B63-9250-E1DE292591C5.jpeg

611894DB-7407-433E-A1C7-80736F75C0DB.jpeg

11 minutes ago, XReN said:

Very nice conversion you did, I like how brutal he is

Thank you. I found the knight incantor a bit too warcraft-y for my tastes so I made him a bit more direct. I am writing a small campaign in a setting where the stormcast are basically the Inquisition, so I want to give them that zealot warrior feel...

4 minutes ago, Moldek said:

Thank you. I found the knight incantor a bit too warcraft-y for my tastes so I made him a bit more direct. I am writing a small campaign in a setting where the stormcast are basically the Inquisition, so I want to give them that zealot warrior feel...

You should get yourself Lord Veritant then, he is basicly an Inquisitor

Archived