Greenskin start collecting gone

SaJeel

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

As of yesterday my local GW was still selling the Start Collecting Greenskinz.

Mine told me they kept theirs despite GW asking for stock to be returned, so it's possible someone just bought it. 

5 hours ago, Floom said:

I wonder why only certain units have been entirely removed, as in not displayed on the store at all. The UK store has removed the chariot and wyvern entirely, but it's on a few others store pages. 

I am guessing they are shifting their stock across each region to try and sell as much as they can. like the Boar chariot was removed in the US page but came back in stock maybe because they got some for other region or from returned SC boxes

4 hours ago, novakai said:

I am guessing they are shifting their stock across each region to try and sell as much as they can. like the Boar chariot was removed in the US page but came back in stock maybe because they got some for other region or from returned SC boxes

Aww, I thought it just hinted at the removed ones getting new models (which would make sense given the chariot boars and the fact the wyvern is resin) and the rest being reboxed. 

I did have a mispack situation where my SC box had duplicate sprues, but the GW rep said they didn't produce the models anymore and just gave me a store voucher instead of the usual replacements. Seems ominous. 

On 1/28/2019 at 1:23 PM, novakai said:

This makes the most sense. To get the most out of what units they still have by moving them to where they feel they are needed. It would explain why certain kits come back and others are sold out.  As of now only the boys and chariots are on my US store where the boarboys where there for several weeks.  I imagine they keep finding old sets in the back of their warehouse as that chariot kit is old as they get these days.

I don’t think we’ll see the Boar Chariot model again, we might get another one but the boar on it a the ancient ones and the new ones have a totally different aesthetic. The Boarboys kit has a lot of commonality with the Bonesplitterz so I more hopful that will be back, hopefully with some reworked Boys on a similar vein 

Thinking more on it the Boys don’t fit the new Orruk aesthetic either so I’d be expecting something new there as well 

57 minutes ago, Skavelynn said:

345649262_ripgreenskinz.jpg.00e9758fe40dd5112f579c03578d5ebf.jpg

That seems a bit more definitive than their usual company line of "things are always happening and we'll let you know when they do", and that it took them a while to respond, so the answer maybe come down through proper channels for this to be correct and not just an off hand comment from a community team member.

I know some people will miss their Greenskinz, but if GW isn't going support some of the old factions properly(ideally at least a book), I'd rather them just stop producing the models rather than stringing people along.

3 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

That seems a bit more definitive than their usual company line of "things are always happening and we'll let you know when they do", and that it took them a while to respond, so the answer maybe come down through proper channels for this to be correct and not just an off hand comment from a community team member.

I know some people will miss their Greenskinz, but if GW isn't going support some of the old factions properly(ideally at least a book), I'd rather them just stop producing the models rather than stringing people along.

Agreed! Writings been on the wall for them for quite some time, and it is sad to see a plastic range retired. But they just didn't fit into the new direction for Orruks aesthetically. I imagine GW is much more keen to do Ironjawz style sculpts, then try to build on to generic, older kits.

Does however tip the scales. Squatting such a large, plastic army shouldn't go unnoticed by anyone who has interest in the older armies! 

28 minutes ago, Shankelton said:

Agreed! Writings been on the wall for them for quite some time, and it is sad to see a plastic range retired. But they just didn't fit into the new direction for Orruks aesthetically. I imagine GW is much more keen to do Ironjawz style sculpts, then try to build on to generic, older kits.

Does however tip the scales. Squatting such a large, plastic army shouldn't go unnoticed by anyone who has interest in the older armies! 

I do know what you mean (we all love IJ!) but I don't fully agree with the comments about Greenskinz being generic.  

They are in my opinion siginificantly less generic than things like Skeleton Warriors and Zombies.  The GW vision of the Orruk as Green Hercules has daylight between it and the rangey, grey Tolkien orcs.

To have their place, they don't need to be front and centre for a faction: but they could easily fill a role as Battleline goobers in a wider Waaagh Battletome, in the same way that Skellies and Zombies do in LON.  They have more character than either of those kits. 

It's a shame, and a waste.

1 hour ago, Shankelton said:

Yeah, I was expecting Gitmob and Greenskinz were going to leave. Apart from the SC box from the first round of AoS SC boxes, they were never promoted or touched. Heck, the only bit of lore I can remember containing 'Greenskinz' was a single story from Malign Portents that had a tribe of Greenskinz bullying a tribe of Gobbos. It will be odd to have no baseline Greenskins now though; We have various Grots, Beefy Savage Orruks, and even Beefier armored Orruks. No normal lads to compare the bigger and tougher Bonesplittaz and Ironjawz to. I hope the Boar Riders and basic Boyz get rolled into Ironjawz so Ironjawz gets some more options, those boars had a good sculpt..

On the other hand, I think Dispossessed and Gutbusters have a good chance to stick around because they have been rebased recently, unlike Gitmob and Greenskinz. They also regularly appear in the lore and the Hammerhal Herald.

1 hour ago, PlasticCraic said:

I do know what you mean (we all love IJ!) but I don't fully agree with the comments about Greenskinz being generic.  

Totally subjective! I think they  had a place as being that relate-able, rabbling horde to glue greenskin culture together. Though I can also see why GW didn't want to support them going forwards. They are all over the fantastical flavor of AoS, turning individuality up to 11 wherever they can. A potential silver lining might mean they have plans to increase the bonesplitter and Ironjaw line to fill in the gap that greenskinz had filled in the lore! 

7 minutes ago, Shankelton said:

Totally subjective! I think they  had a place as being that relate-able, rabbling horde to glue greenskin culture together. Though I can also see why GW didn't want to support them going forwards. They are all over the fantastical flavor of AoS, turning individuality up to 11 wherever they can. A potential silver lining might mean they have plans to increase the bonesplitter and Ironjaw line to fill in the gap that greenskinz had filled in the lore! 

Fair :D

I'd be quite happy to see them come in as a unit choice in A. N. Other Battletome...whether that's a new book for an existing faction like IJ / Bonesplitterz, or (my own preference) some kind of Waagh Battletome. 

Time will tell I guess...I'm still cautiously optimistic that this isn't completely the end.

Green Orcs are a GW invention but they have become the genre over the years, because let’s face it they’re Ace. 

The current models have been withdrawn that doesn’t mean Orruks are gone by any stretch. With the exception of the Boar Boys they are pretty old and more importantly don’t fit with he more modern Orruk releases. They are in the background most notably in that Orruks evolve into Bonesplitterz when the power of the Waaagh infuses them.  David Guymer made comment about how much excitement him featuring Orruks Mercenaries in The Sea Taketh generated.   Ard Boys are also Greenskinz not Ironjawz although the models do follow the old Orc anatomy  

They’ll be back. They won’t be in the form of Warhammer Armies Orcs And Goblins but they will be back. 

16 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

Fair :D

I'd be quite happy to see them come in as a unit choice in A. N. Other Battletome...whether that's a new book for an existing faction like IJ / Bonesplitterz, or (my own preference) some kind of Waagh Battletome. 

Time will tell I guess...I'm still cautiously optimistic that this isn't completely the end.

Despite how you guys feel about it, those sculpts are gone and not coming back. They have confirmed it. 
They will not design new models, that look similar to the old models, to stick them into IJ / Bonesplitterz. New models for those factions will match their respective aesthetics...

Maybe there will be other Ork factions in the future. We currently have 2 so I doubt it's a high priority for them.  You have to come up with an identity for them beyond just "they are orruks".   

We know Grotbag Scuttlers are coming. They've been mentioned too many times and the concept is just too cool. Will they have Orruks? It doesn't seem like it, but could be.  

Beyond that, and updating the Ogors,   For destruction I would expect GW to create  a new  faction with a flavorful shtick.  But that is probably years away. They will certainly not release a  "Greenskinz" faction that looks anything like the current one. 

17 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

I agree.  I still feel that we will see them come back in some reimagined form at some point down the road.  But, I have suspected for quite a while that we would see just about the whole current range removed/replaced.  Whenever they come back (Gitmob also), I expect it will be with an almost entirely new range.  The only kit that was recent is the Boarboyz kit - which dates to the same time that the plastic Savage Orcs were released.  Everything else is much older and fairly dated.

I'll wait for an announcement that the army is officially dead - rather than inferring that from quietly retiring really ancient model kits that they most likely don't want to make another production run of.

Well, I am not at all into 40K but seems like there is some focus on Orks lately with Speed Freaks and new units (bikes or something). Usually when there are some cross system units like Chaos minis (Wrath and Rapture) they appear for both systems. Could be that they redesign the sculpt and release the whole Orruk, grots theme around some kind of mechanized units. Who doesn't love a pump wagon? Imagine those crazy machines with both races in AoS. Who cares about Grot sky pirates if it can be  a Whole Waaagh of scrap catapults, doom diver tanks and so on. Live the sky for stunties, shoot them down and give a proppa beatin'!

Besides Warhammer Orcs were inspiration for Warcraft ones so if I were in charge of that I would like to keep the kind of GW trademark of green orc in it's hooligan shape. This is something extraordinary ...and stays in 40K.

16 minutes ago, meet.the.doctor said:

Well, I am not at all into 40K but seems like there is some focus on Orks lately with Speed Freaks and new units (bikes or something). Usually when there are some cross system units like Chaos minis (Wrath and Rapture) they appear for both systems. Could be that they redesign the sculpt and release the whole Orruk,

That was like three months ago, it was just a standard release for 40k nothing too special. (Especially since GW promoted Orktober but then release everything in November) if they had decided to resculpt the kit for 8th edition to be use it for both system they would have done it by now or Primaris-ized the 40k Ork kit.

33 minutes ago, meet.the.doctor said:

Besides Warhammer Orcs were inspiration for Warcraft ones so if I were in charge of that I would like to keep the kind of GW trademark of green orc in it's hooligan shape. This is something extraordinary ...and stays in 40K.

I for one welcome our new Ironjawz overlords.

Their trademark and flavor endures through them, and will ultimately evolve. Honestly, this is a good thing for orruks. Opens the field for new sculpts and flavor, and with Ironjawz being as cool looking as they are, i'd be excited if I were an Orruk player.

FWIW, most items are still in stock on the GW Australia website.

It will obviously mean paying Aussie prices (brace for impact!), but if anyone wanted to get a few kits while they still have the chance, DM me and I'm happy to help.

Personally, I'm gonna grab a Finecast Shaman.  Love that sculpt.

(Still haven't give up hope that they are going to be part of a Waaagh! Battletome, but you've got to hope for the best and plan for the worst here I think).

Archived