Greenskin start collecting gone

SaJeel

I wouldn't disagree with that @angrycontra, I can imagine that a decent percentage of the people who did buy that box would have felt like they'd had their pockets picked when they eventually realised what they had been sold.

And I would also agree with your comment that they can only support so many factions (although that being said, I don't see why they couldn't have a couple of pages of Allegiance Abilities in the GH for the last couple of years, in the same way that generic dwarves got theirs).

My own personal vision for where they could secure their long term existence would be not as their own faction, but as Battleline goobers  within a wider faction.  Again, similar to Skeleton Warriors or Zombies.  They are more than good enough minis to stand that comparison I think.

NB I'm not saying that will be the case - things like the absence of GH Abilities (and the small matter of being silently deleted from the website) suggest that they have a big red X painted on their foreheads.  But I think that would be a viable long term future if GW did choose to go that way with them.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ima big fan of the Greenskin SC, the boarboys are great, the other models are fine other than the chariot. I find the standard Orruks to be leagues above the plague monks, any way what I was getting at with the Art thing is waaaay back there was this art

fyreslayers5.jpg

Two wonderfully rendered Bonesplittas on wyverns, and in the age of combined battle tomes could we see a orruk combined battletome, with this model?

This is found in the Fyreslayers battletome then 7 battletomes later, after Ironjaws we got the Bonesplittas. Im wondering if they've been sitting on this model for a while, with the option to have multiple riders 

But then if Greenskinz are defunct in AoS terms, is it a little odd they’re offered as allies for Gloomspite?

Makes little sense to me to remove options for a ‘new’ army by pulling a Start Collecting set.

That’s more power to eBay sellers - again an odd move for GW (unless Greenskinz were selling that badly as a box).

It’s more likely, then, to be a glitch on the website?

2 hours ago, angrycontra said:

I'm not saying that greenskinz should be removed from game but they need a proper update as a faction with a lot of new models rather than keeping them in this "limbo-state" where they are this "kinda but not really"-dead faction (but not holding my breath or actually believing that would happen, gw can't make infinite number of factions and greenskinz just don't offer currently anything to warrant their existence).

That’s somehow funny.

reminds me of all those posts that were saying that the old world armies should all be discontinued because they don’t have something special on their own.

and now look at all those armies (for example Boc)

27 minutes ago, Mcthew said:

But then if Greenskinz are defunct in AoS terms, is it a little odd they’re offered as allies for Gloomspite?

Makes little sense to me to remove options for a ‘new’ army by pulling a Start Collecting set.

That’s more power to eBay sellers - again an odd move for GW (unless Greenskinz were selling that badly as a box).

It’s more likely, then, to be a glitch on the website?

I mean they also listed Gitmob as ally too, but it currently looks like they got discontinued on the website

I think it’s been pretty clear from the beginning that support for what I’ll call the legacy factions was not guaranteed.  By support I mean new models with new rules.  So I don’t understand when people complain that they’ve collected a legacy army and that the rug is being pulled out from under them.   What’s more,  there are still warscrolls for the models and you can use them to play.  So, you’re no worse off than when you started and when you started there was never a promise that anything new would ever come down the pike for you.

4 minutes ago, Ken said:

I think it’s been pretty clear from the beginning that support for what I’ll call the legacy factions was not guaranteed.  By support I mean new models with new rules.  So I don’t understand when people complain that they’ve collected a legacy army and that the rug is being pulled out from under them.   What’s more,  there are still warscrolls for the models and you can use them to play.  So, you’re no worse off than when you started and when you started there was never a promise that anything new would ever come down the pike for you.

I think the complaints happen because AoS is several years old now and GW clearly knows where they are going with it - there is a long term plan of what will go and what will stay. Customers don't like to have an army sit there with a listing on the GW website for years and warscrolls and all and then for GW to randomly remove them at a random point in time. I think most would rather GW removed all that was to be removed in one go. Put it up for last-chance to buy and then just remove it. Even if it left some sub-armies totally decimated until GW releases new models for them it would at least give people confidence in what was going to stay and what was going to change. 

Everyone knows its a risk, but that doesn't stop them being unhappy about it if it happens. Both from those who are left with models which will steadily be pushed out of competitive games and matched play and events; through to those who wanted to build an army who now cannot. 

Heck it would do GW well I'd wager. If everyone know that armies like Darkling Covens were going to remain then I bet people would start building those armies up and buying those models now in anticipation of the future release. 

Even if GW has a plan that projects that far in advance,  they may not want to commit to it in public.  That way they don’t disappoint customers if that plan changes.  Sometimes business conditions require a change in plans.  

Can you imagine the , justifiable hue and cry if they announced Greenskinz are coming in two years and then it didn’t happen.

9 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

Yeah, looking at that it looks like a Shaman variant and a Boss variant. 

Would be cool, although I'm not sure how they'd tie it in with the lore around Bonesplitterz as the mighty hunters of great beasts?

I don't know, but they should figure it out.  One of the key elements of Age of Sigmar armies has been large centerpiece models and the Bonesplitters have a noticeable absence.  The horde of savage orcs is a great theme, but they still could use something to help break up the monotony of the visual of just a ton of similar looking guys.  It does not help that the Bonesplitter army was created by splitting up the contents of just 2 box sets into all of the non-hero options.

I think that they could creatively figure out how to add a monster into an army of monster hunters.  The army religiously follows a bunch of brain-addled magic lunatics so they just need to hook into that concept somehow.  For example, what about a beast who is so infused with the power of GorkaMorka that like the Arachnaroks to grots it becomes a living embodiment of GorkaMorka?  The Bonesplitterz eat monsters and carry their bones so that they can infuse themselves with the power of their god.  Imagine if they thought that a certain type of Beast could grant them even more power if it could be tamed?  Then you could have something like a living Idol of Gork for an unridden version and the most powerful heroes could ride one as a personal mount to visibly display how blessed they are in the eyes of GorkaMorka.  That's just a 30-second concept and I am sure that the GW team could do better if they thought about it.  The point is that I think they could solve that puzzle.

In addition, the Orc Wyvern has been tied to the Savage Orcs throughout much of Warhammer Fantasy.  Some of the oldest Wyvern models were of Savage Orc shaman.

2 hours ago, Ken said:

It seems a bit disingenuous that this particular faction had an SC box right from launch, and then two years later are discontinued. If that is the case, their mind had changed over those years - Brets and TK got axed right away and GW let everyone know that those particular armies would not receive ongoing support. But Greenskinz are unique in this situation because it seems they have been brought into AOS a little bit, but only part way.

they did the same with Swifthawk Agents, where they release Spire of Dawn and then proceeded to get rid of the dawnguard, reavers, and general on gryffon. 

quite possibly they want things to sell out first before putting them out of production

I'm not convinced that Greenskins and Gitmob are totally gone as a thing.  They have very prominent entries in the main book under the savage tribes.  If you read the Moonclan section it describes sort of the old Night Goblin themes, but even more the concepts they brought to the fore with the Gloomspite re-imagining.  There is an emphasis on moonclan being more obscenely plentiful and pouring out of the ground like a swarm of ants.  They made exactly that concept with the new book and the Loonshrine just bringing units back.

If GW has really killed Greenskins and Gitmob completely I would have expected more "last chance to buy" announcements and probably an annoucement about a Warhammer Legends compendium.  I don't think GW would abandon the Legends pdf practice because it is a very easy and good way to say thanks to the players for their previous investments but also discontinue a line they no longer plan to keep.   It costs them little to do and garners some measure of good will from the player base.  But they did not do that this time.

Last night I went back and looked at what they added in the core rulebook for these two allegiances.  The Gitmob has no references to wolves or chariots and mainly discusses how spiteful they are and makes prominent mention that they take delight in constructing machines to kill people with.  The Greenskins entry is more traditional in that it discusses wyverns, warbosses, boars, chariots, and hordes of orcs.  It makes a specific mention about how insanely massive greenskin armies are.

Given that Greenskins were not completely removed from the store, but rather just the Start Collecting box is listed as no longer available, I suspect that they are simply no longer making the old plastic chariot model & plastic warboss model.  Those two are also listed as no longer available and they were in the Start Collecting box.  The boars in both of those kits are really old and no longer fit with the aesthetic for the new boars used in the Boar Boyz kit.  In fact, they look more out of place than almost anything.  The gitmob plastic models were all ancient with the exception of the shaman (who still had a scenic square base on his sprue).  The rest of the range was resin.  I think that we will see these forces again in some fashion, but they decided to stop producing some of the older models.  I would not be surprised to see the resin Gitmob artillery come back relatively soon for a "last chance to buy" limited reprint.  With all the fluff entry about crazy steampunk grot pirates and whatnot I think Gitmob will eventually be reimagined.  Greenskins seem like they could remain the traditional old-school Orc army but drastically needs new models and GW decided to pull some of the most antiquated from the production pipeline - which would kill the Start Collecting box.

Maybe I am wrong and they tried to delete them in a sneaky way - but that seems very out of place for how they have been operating lately.

5 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

The boars in both of those kits are really old and no longer fit with the aesthetic for the new boars used in the Boar Boyz kit.  In fact, they look more out of place than almost anything.

This.  I have a bunch of them from my old WFB army.  They never looked good (remind me of hamsters) and they look even worse by comparison with the more up to date boars and the Gore Gruntas boars. 

One thing to think about in regards to the boars for the chariot is that they were the old old old generic boar from long ago.  They had their own sprue because they were the same model for when boar boyz & mounted characters were metal.  Moglum Necksnapper the Black Orc general came with that plastic boar and simply a metal alternate boar head.  Boar boyz came in blister packs with a plastic sprue of those boars.  40k Snakebite Boar boyz from 2nd edition 40k came with a plastic sprue of those boars.  They were on a tiny sprue that was meant to fit into the old blister packs.  I am pretty sure that this same sprue is also used for the Tuskgor Chariot - and then it has resin alternate heads.

The new plastic boars come on a large sprue that builds around 5 of the boars.  So, if they decided to kill off this old sprue and stop producing it then they would have to discontinue the chariot kit.  I guess we should watch what happens with the Tuskgor chariot to see if they did indeed stop making these boars.  The warboss boar is something different and I believe that the boar is included on the warboss sprue.  

I actually bought the Greenskinz SC box about a week ago because I saw it was gone from the GW website and I didn't have the official Warboss kit.

I could see them repackaging the SC box with a boss on Wyvern instead of the old boss and chariot kits. Plus putting everything on round bases.

17 minutes ago, gedrekt said:

I actually bought the Greenskinz SC box about a week ago because I saw it was gone from the GW website and I didn't have the official Warboss kit.

I could see them repackaging the SC box with a boss on Wyvern instead of the old boss and chariot kits. Plus putting everything on round bases.

They don’t repackage resin models mainly because they probably slowly getting rid of non plastic model to begin with and that they are not retailable in stores so I highly doubt they would repackage the wyvern. They would have to redo the model first

Archived