Theories on new models/armies from the LORE

Overread

Honestly I felt that the Blood Marshal was just "generic heroic khorne character" for the story. Especially considering how little action he sees, how the story isn't focused around him and based upon his ultimate choice at the end of the book. 

Instead I felt far more likely would be seeing a Warqueen character with a chariot pulled by two large hounds. That felt more like they were suggesting a new model to the game and more to focus around - though even that aside just having a War Queen general is a big thing in itself. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Overread said:

That said do you envision them slowing things down timescale wise? One thing I noted is that we jump from Realmgate novels set right at the start of the age to stories such as Heart of Winter where its clear that there's been stable populations of people for generations rebuilding over old settlements retaken from Chaos. So that suggests at least a few hundred years to get to that sort of stability and level of construction whereby everyone and their grandparents are not recalling the horrors of the Age of Chaos and where populations have rebounded from being slaughtered by roving bands of Chaos. 

All that is fine, but it makes it hard to envision the realms and the war at large and its hard to establish characters (esp any human ones) of note because they could be alive in one novel and an historical figure in another. 

Oh definitely. I think we're staying in a roughly 'Now-ish' period, for the foreseeable. And it was...around 150 years? I think that was the official span given to us for the duration between the conclusion of the Realmgate Wars and the present. The cities were founded during the latter stage of the wars (which themselves lasted around fifty years), prior to All-Gates and Seeds of Hope. 

On topic: I'm really hoping the chunks of duardin ruin that one troggoth is holding  hint at something coming for Dispossessed. I've been doing this long enough to know that it probably doesn't, but there's always a tiny spark of hope that flares any time I see something like that. Just something to give me an excuse to put together a tiny force of duardin spell-hunters to go with my Sacrosanct army. 

And then maybe I'll get to pitch that novel about the last true heir to the throne of the Khazalid Empire attempting to unite the clans through great deeds, politics and general cussedness,  so that they might take back all that was lost...

I could like to see new Seraphon using the little what we saw in Malign Portents

Some new unit of Saurus, or even new dinos, that army has the potential to go full feral, something something space tecnomagic lizard things or even lizard-dragon-dinosaurs with Dracothion's help.

(I know that it's just one story in Malign Portents but I really want new Seraphon some day)

17 hours ago, Overread said:

Honestly I felt that the Blood Marshal was just "generic heroic khorne character" for the story. Especially considering how little action he sees, how the story isn't focused around him and based upon his ultimate choice at the end of the book. 

Instead I felt far more likely would be seeing a Warqueen character with a chariot pulled by two large hounds. That felt more like they were suggesting a new model to the game and more to focus around - though even that aside just having a War Queen general is a big thing in itself. 

Now that I think on it a bit more, I agree that it's more likely that we'll see a chariot pulled by two large hounds (and that would be awesome!!!).

The reason the Blood Marshal stood out from the generic Chaos Warriors/Lords that get thrown into these stories (that I'd never expect to see models for), is that he wasn't quite generic. He had a purpose and a role within Khorne's hierarchy. It's implied that the whole elaborate pit fighting setup was a mechanism to raise Blood Reavers up to Blood Warriors.

Aye but the whole fighting pit approach isn't unique - we see it again in two stories in Inferno - one with a dedicated Khorne fortress and another with ogres. I think that its showing that when Khorne Champions conquer a land to the point where there's hardly any resistance left then their natural approach is to retreat to a heavily fortified location and deal endless blood battles to raise the quality of their ranks up; and to appease Khorne's desire for blood and battle.

Basically its a Khorne force in a period of decadence; enjoying combat but with only a generic overarching ideal, or (as the Warmaster showed) even on full halt until a new leader comes to give fresh view and scope to the legion. 

Archived