Theories on new models/armies from the LORE

Overread

WARNING the nature of this thread means that there is a possibility of spoilers from Black Library publications and books. Whilst most of this chat should be of a more background/mechanical nature of the world and not going into the story lines themselves it might spoil things for some - so read at your own risk. 

So I was reading the new Inferno last night and two stories stood out as introducing things that we've hither too not seen in official releases of information from GW itself. Indeed they are strong hints at new things that possibly could come to the game in the future and I thought it would be fun to collate these references and ideas and share them out and see what we think could happen. Note the Lore and BL publications have always had some leeway with inventing new things and sometimes things get referenced quite a lot which never ever make it into the tabletop side of the game. Therefore nothing in this thread is a guarantee that it will come from GW; nor are there any time lines attached - a hint today might not ever be a model or it might not appear for 10 years or more. 

Note it helps if you give the book/short story title and reference for the appearance of things; just to keep them neat and easy for people to work out where they come from:

Inferno 2 - At the Sign of the Brazen Claw 

In this story we hear more about the misty shadowy Aelves of the Shadow Realm. There is no mention of the Daughters of Khaine, who are a smaller people in that realm, so we must assume that it is Malarions Aelves. We've had mistweavers appear in other stories (eg Warqueen Novella) though this is one of the first that makes a specific reference to their place in the world. We've also had the mysterious mistweaver model for a while too https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/mistweaver-saih 

To me this says that we can expect his army to be mistweavers for the general rank and file Aelves. Meanwhile we've already hints in many of the lore books that the souls allotted to him from those rescued from Slaanesh's belly take on a demonic/draconic aspect to their appearance. 

Inferno 2 - From the Deep - In this story we are presented with Naereids, a creature that, from the descriptions, has a human style form with "wave wings" (possible extra limbs) who wield long spears and carry clamshell daggers into battle. They are shown as appearing in the lands of the Everqueen and give aid to her forces in battle. They are the undersea equivalent of her Branchwraiths on land. There's also the appearance of a sea serpent from the deeper depths of the sea as well, though also mention that some of the greater beats of the deep sea cannot rise to the shallower or surface levels. Thus suggesting to me that it would be one or two models added to the Sylvanath army rather than a whole force - with the remainder of that race being an undersea force that might never appear on land (lacking the sea-magic that the Idoneth have to bring the waters with them onto the surface). 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Is that a new book from the Black Library?🤩

or do you mean the battletome🤔?

I mean this story https://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-age-of-sigmar/novels/skaven-pestilens-ebook.html

Though from memory I don't recall anything "new" in it but its a fantastic display of skaven at war!

Though if you want to get it get this https://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-age-of-sigmar/novels/aos-legends-omni.html
It costs exactly the same and comes with a load of other stories about the Sylvanath and the Fyreslayers. 

4 minutes ago, Overread said:

I mean this story https://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-age-of-sigmar/novels/skaven-pestilens-ebook.html

Though from memory I don't recall anything "new" in it but its a fantastic display of skaven at war!

Though if you want to get it get this https://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-age-of-sigmar/novels/aos-legends-omni.html
It costs exactly the same and comes with a load of other stories about the Sylvanath and the Fyreslayers. 

Well I’m actually thinking of buying the book eight lametation:spear of shadow, since i heard that the skaven are a big thing in there.

Yes, skaven are one of the big players here with usual cunning, backstabbing and even one particularly barbaric Verminlord

If you can have a little SPOILER, in this book we can read abou the greatest invention of clan Skryre:

Spoiler

GIANT DOOMWHEEL!

3 minutes ago, michu said:

Yes, skaven are one of the big players here with usual cunning, backstabbing and even one particularly barbaric Verminlord

If you can have a little SPOILER, in this book we can read abou the greatest invention of clan Skryre:

Reveal hidden contents

GIANT DOOMWHEEL!

Never thought I’d get cunningly outmastered with doing propaganda.

well done my padawan😂

I could definitely see them expanding the Sylvaneth range to include water spirit kind of creatures,  in fact weirdly enough I'd been thinking that was an obvious way to expand the range so was happy when I read that story. if Sylvaneth are essentially hamadryads, it's not a huge leap to get to other kinds of nature spirits, for every tree based nymph in greek mythology you have corresponding ones for streams, lakes, rivers, marshes etc. Likewise I'd love to see them adding more satyr like creatures, maybe led by Kurnoth at some point.

Maybe I didn't pick up on it but to me the Aelves mentioned in the Brazen Claw story sounded more like just normal Aelves but who just have an Ulgu'esque tint to them

Spoiler

well apart from the Idoneth Queen, who again struck me as just being an Idoneth Deepkin Aelf with an Ulgu touch to her

In Plague Garden you have a whole scene with Pestilens Skaven attacking the Soulcast whilst riding giant bats, that would be a great addition to the range I think.

You definitely do get the odd hint or two in these books, there's a couple of bits in the Blackstone Fortress that I assumed were foreshadowing expansions to the game, and so far one of those (the Ambull) has now been announced.

@JPjr Thing is regular Aelves with the Ulgu touch are basically what Malarion's Aelves are. He rules most of the Shadow Realm and they are the majority of the peoples there - or at least the majority of the Aelves. Daugthers of Khaine are squashed into the most shadowy corner of the realm and they are numerous enough to have a faction of their own. 

6 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

Irrelevant to the rest of the thread, but I would like to give whoever thought "Skaven Pestilens" was a good name for a novel a sound thrashing.

I kind of understand it because the name is based on Clan Pestilens from WHFB. On a similar note though, Clan Mors is a much better name than Clan Verminus. You already had a warlike clan with a focus on Warlords, Stormvermin, and Clanrats. Why did you need a new faction for basic rats?

edit: I just noticed you were complaining about the novel name, not the faction. It is a bad idea to name it the exact same name as the Battletome with the exact same cover art...

There are a fair amount of non-human undead and chaos mentioned in the novels. I’d love to see rules for using them. We don’t need new models necessarily. They could have “upgrade” kits made available to convert models from Order or Destruction to Death or Chaos.

I’d love to create some Death or Chaos Ogors. Or some Orruk Zombies... etc...

@Kirjava13 to defend a bit GW, full title of this book is "Legends of the Age of Sigmar: Skaven Pestilens" and it's consistent with naming convention of other books: "Legends of the Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth" and "Legends of the Age of Sigmar: Fyreslayers". Those books also used the same covers as battletomes.

On 1/12/2019 at 4:15 PM, Kirjava13 said:

Irrelevant to the rest of the thread, but I would like to give whoever thought "Skaven Pestilens" was a good name for a novel a sound thrashing.

From my recollection of that meeting, no one actually thought it was a good title. 

To be fair the book is chock full of pestilent skaven action from Clan Pestilens Skaven - so its informative! Though here's to more wild and action filled sounding titles for future Skaven novels! (which might be soon if there's new skaven stuff on the horizon).

Whilst the title isn't the best it was a neat idea I think. Having a novel/s named after a faction's battletome (thus army name) makes them an easy attracting point for people new to the lore of those peoples. Pestilens and Sylvanath were great stories/sets of stories though Fyreslayers felt like something was missing in their stories (and one is kind of like a diary of events and doesn't invest the reader in the characters as much I felt). It's a shame as it seems that whole approach by BL is gone now and we are back to regular stories (which is no bad thing of course). 

I think the greater shame is that under the other system one might envision each faction at least getting one book/set of short stories dedicated to their point of view in things. Be that right at the Realmgate Wars or a bit further beyond. As it stands now some factions get attention and some don't get as much (though AoS is at least avoiding every single book being about Storm-marines even though they do feature heavily around the place). 

edit also @JReynolds if it doesn't break contract agreements - do BL staff ever get a sneak peak at the design staffs up-coming models/ideas/concepts? How close a tie is there between the departments or is it mostly totally separated to prevent leaks/info sperading out too far

42 minutes ago, Overread said:

edit also @JReynolds if it doesn't break contract agreements - do BL staff ever get a sneak peak at the design staffs up-coming models/ideas/concepts? How close a tie is there between the departments or is it mostly totally separated to prevent leaks/info spreading out too far

We get peeks sometimes, depending on the mood the design team/marketing is in at the time, and who's doing the asking. I saw the models for the Soul Wars set about a year before they were released, for instance, though I didn't know what many of them were called. Mostly, we're more likely to see the mock ups for battletomes and such than actual models. 

47 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

I look forward to the upcoming 'Kharadron Overlords' and 'Stormcast Eternals' novels, as well as the next 40k offering, 'Imperial Guard'.

That was Overlords of the Iron Dragon and Hallowed Knights: Plague Garden, respectively.  

Archived