Ironweld Arsenal: Faction Expansion (Narrative and Warscrolls)

Melcavuk

Like many others since the inception of Age of Sigmar I have been waiting to see how the normal men and women of the Realms come to be represented, from the citizens of Azyr to the settlers who go on to form Freecities and the refugees trailing in a never ending stream back towards the Golden city as the tides of chaos, death and destruction ravage the Realmscape around them. As I wasnt a fantasy player before Age of Sigmar became a thing i had no pre-existing loyalties to the factions of old, no fond memories of Empire and Brettonians to niggle at the back of my mind when imagining the shapings of the armies of Man to come in the later Age of Sigmar lore.

One of the most interesting elements to me was the seperation of the Ironweld Arsenal, a faction comprised of the heavy artillery and siege engines of old accompanies by engineers and the potential this could open up in terms of how the faction would grow, expand and become a unique force on the battlefields of Sigmar. The concept of soot drenched, smoke belching armies chewing their way through the battlefield, a vertiable force of the industry of man that held little reverance to the will of Gods and Daemons, who trusted in the strength of their own steel and heat of the flames of the furnace. 

Preamble and thoughts on theme:

Spoiler

So the theme:

To my mind the Gunnery Schools of the Ironweld are an empire unto themselves, their vast factory complexes as much cities in their own right seperated into the Nobility of the schools of Engineers down to the peasantry of the labourers. The noble houses each vying for status as the lead with an ever expanding array of contraptions and staggering arsenal of weaponry defining which holds the seat of power and becomes the Guild Patriarch, in this way the constant competition drives them ever onwards, never once allowing themselves to simply sit idle whilst others seize power around them.

The Weld revere Grimnir not as a god but as the peak of Artisans of his craft, a true genius in the refinement of the very art of war. It is his very skill in ever labour that the Duardin and Men of the Weld have come to revere, seeking ever to improve their craft that they might create a weapon worthy of the Duardian Mastersmiths attentions.

The peasants are a dour class, functional clothing long since having been stained a shadowed black by the coal that has become a key pillar of their daily existance, the volatile nature of the machinery often claiming the lives of dozens in the name of progress. Those who are not killed are often maimed, their severed limbs replaced with crude beaten metal replicas strictly functional and given none of the workmanship of the Weld's true arsenal. In times of war these peasantry march alongside the armies of the weld, wielding roughly forged metal bucklers alongside black power or bladed weapons to protect the Guilds arsenals.

The Nobility are a breed apart, each marches to war with their own personal armoury from their families artificer forges. From smog belching metal steeds and ornate battle tanks to the lumbering battle armour of the Ironsworn Templars the very act of war is as much a way of advertising their own Guilds wares to would be buyers from both sides of the battle. Those unfortunate enough to be injured are often adorned with complex and beautifully refined enhancements to further embellish the legends of their own noble house.

Second Stage Updates:

Spoiler

Updating here and in first post

As I try to get a little more organised I figured I'd go through the subsets of stuff I'd like to eventually have sorted for the battletome, some I will weigh in on myself, others would be fantastic to collaborate on, other things people could take on independantly in order to get different perspectives. If anyone wants to help out with a specific section it'd be grand, at which point we can all give feedback, critique and help hone it into something great

I will say dont be afraid of critique and feedback, the warscrolls I have done are now on version 5 or so as I try and hammer out the difference between where I want them narratively and where they need to be for game balance, and even then no points have been assigned to them as the army as a whole will help define what they are worth.

So to what needs doing:
NARRATIVE
FACTION INTRODUCTION

A BRIEF HISTORY

NOTABLE EVENTS (TIMELINE)

NOTABLE CITIES

OUTLOOK ON THE REALMS

INTERACTIONS WITH OTHER FACTIONS

SUBFACTIONS, CONFLICTS WITHIN THE FACTION

NARRATIVE SHORT STORIES FOR FLAVOUR (MALIGN PORTENTS STYLE)

GAMEPLAY
ALLEGIANCE ABILITIES (Engineer relic table, Ironsworn Relic Table, Artificer Cogworks (mount traits) table)
WARSCROLLS (GW does these by looking at the models and working from there, so here I have put down my own ideas for how the model will look in order for anyone who wants to do a scroll to shape up and submit)
Duardin Engineer (Existing Model) (ENGINEER) - Rework existing scroll
Gunmaster (Existing Model, variation for the mounted engineer to be rebranded Gunmaster on mechanical steed, command trait for WELD GUARD) (IRONSWORN) - Redone by R SMITH
Gunmaster in Coghauler (HERO Steamtank, tanks of legend, command trait for nearby COGHAULERS) (IRONSWORN, COGWORK) - NEW UNIT, NEEDS SCROLL
Ironsworn Paladin (Monsterous, built as secondary option to a different kit, Command trait for IRONSWORN) (IRONSWORN, COGWORK)) - NEW UNIT, NEEDS SCROLL BUILT OUT OF THE IRONSWORN TEMPLAR SCROLL
HERO B (Mounted Engineer) NEW UNIT, NEEDS SCROLL

BATTLELINE
Weld Militia (Battleline) (WELD GUARD, LABOURER) - COMPLETED BY RSMITH PENDING FEEDBACK
Riflemen/Phalanx (Dual Kit, Battleline if Ironweld) - Working in well with the Gunmasters on foot (WELD GUARD) - NEW UNIT, NEEDS SCROLL

OTHER
Ironsworn Templar (Also Builds Paladins Hero) - Non-Monster heavy hitter single model unit, monsterous infantry. (IRONSWORN, COGWORK)) - COMPLETED BY RSMITH PENDING FEEDBACK
Ironsworn Fusiliers/Lancers - Elite Fast Moving Cavalry (IRONSWORN, COGWORK) - NEW UNIT, NEEDS SCROLL
Gyrocopter/Bomber (Existing Kit) (COGWORK) - REWORK EXISTING SCROLL
Ironweld Arbalesters/Engineers Corps (Experimental Weapons Unit, Arbalesters boosted by Gunmaster on foot, Corps boosted by Engineers) (WELD GUARD) NEW UNIT, NEEDS SCROLL

ARTILLERY
Helstom/Helblaster (Existing Kit) (ARSENAL, WARMACHINE) - REWORKED BY RSMITH PENDING FEEDBACK
Duardin Cannon/Organ Gun (Existing Kit) (ARSENAL, WARMACHINE) - REWORKED BY RSMITH PENDING FEEDBACK

BEHEMOTH
Cog Hauler (Steam Tank kit, expansion kit add on for Cog Hauler Bombard (Rocket Variant), Cog Hauler Behemoth (Transport Variant)) (COGWORK, WARMACHINE) - NEEDS NEW EXPANDED WARSCROLL BASED ON STEAMTANK

FINALLY ONCE THOSE ARE DONE IT'LL BE TIME TO LOOK AT BATALLIONS

Ironsworn.png

MasterofShot.png

Weldmilitia.png

MOST RECENT UPDATES - 28/01/19:

HEROES

Spoiler

Cogsmith.png.82d5ba5543b4004d29acae31075dd72c.pngIrondukeCoghauler.png.eb36e07945340d1d8907c8017f787613.pngIronswornPaladin.png.e34b36978d6768cf72f9ecfe76fe439f.pngMasterofShot.png.ffe8c75f860fed4ff70b8aaf25e8f94b.pngTinkereronStrider.png.dee7521b0e5e488bc5fb7b77a7ff5196.png

BATTLELINE

Spoiler

Weldmilitia.png.336fe9b84caffe3c703cea846e566e9c.pngWeldPhalanx.png.e1beb7acc74b1b72f77bfeca395daf23.pngWeldRifles.png.c3b4547dbe6153d4c97fa0e601ede251.png

OTHERS

Spoiler

Fusiliers.png.7bc6d255a47d9663035ca119684739da.pngIronsworn.jpg.png.d56c596520c06bd712e29616eb4df212.pngLancers.png.dd78550561fe509f34ef7ac308b259eb.png

ARTILLERY

Spoiler

Cannon.png.d0c4e762595e8cc80f6740716b5ac710.pngHelblaster.png.a82749d3c874692185a6c61b4470c58b.png

BEHEMOTHS (COGHAULERS)

Spoiler

CoghaulerAnchor.png.fe7fd833bce5a52a3e2312669d2ffa64.pngCoghaulerBombard.png.1fc435a372044b8e7331b4a21cb3c2a6.png

COGFORT

Spoiler

Cogofrt.png.875c3ae9120f032b1142dddb42e4832f.png

VERSION ONE POINTS COSTS

Spoiler

Pointsroster.png.6060a0129cd507dccc90053a36aebe53.png

Edited by Melcavuk
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

I always love the subsections of each army, I find that they give some colorful narrative to otherwise bland armies. So here are some I've come up with:

Order of the Storm Forged

hailing from the realm of heavens, the Order of the Storm Forged are amongst some of the most prestigious(or arrogant depending on who you ask) of the gunnery schools. The Guild Patriarch often claims that his family studied under the famous Six Smiths, and that most of the blessed sigmarite items the Stormcast Eternals used can be traced back to any of the noble houses of the guild. In battle the nobility of the order can often be found marching alongside members of the Hammers of Sigmar, staying behind to fortify newly captured realmgates or laying siege to enemy fortifications.

Drakes Foundry

Based primarily in Aqshy, the guild Drakes Foundry was founded by a mixture of azyrite immigrants and reclaimed tribes. Instead of the common segregation and thinly veiled racism common amongst the reclaimed, the scholars of the Weld encouraged the intermingling and sharing of knowledge between the two cultures, which led to the discovery of the volcano ring known as Grimnir's Cannons. the magma from the Cannons is rich with various metals, which, once filtered and separated from the molten rock, are of an incredible quality. The rapid expansion and wealth of this relatively new guild exemplify this, and the quality of their weapons have only increased as the guild makes trade deals with multiple Fyreslayer lodges.

Ur-Chemist's 

Hailing from Chamon, this guild is primarily made up of Dispossessed and "mad" human wizards and scholars. The Ur-Chemists seek to restore order to what they consider "Grugni's Workshop", as such they strive to find locations of potent chamonite upon which to build powerful navigation and chronological device, the better to catalogue the realm. The Ur-Chemists have raised certain beings to a state of sainthood, such as Lady Celemnis, who is called upon by the many artisans to bless their blades. 

• Like 3

I was actually listening to Stormcast (because why not) whilst painting some goblins earlier and they touched so briefly on the concept of exploring the depths of the realms. One part they covered was that the realm of light is also known for development of knowledge, innovation, invention and the strive for progress, to me this is a realm that would speak to the very heart of the Ironweld, a faction of tinkerers, mad scientists, those seeking to progress the armouries of Azyr through order and innovation. 

Currently I'm trying to think through how best to create an ideal capitol in my head that isnt just "clockwork city" that could embody the concept of Ironweld in one or two sentences as a description before fleshing it out further.

Currently all I have is:

Faction: Ironweld
Distinguishing features: Sealed terrible vault, distinguished freeguild guard, ore/gem deposits, arcane forge.

Edit: Because I type faster than I think

Cor Temporis, the Walking City
The term walking is largely a generous exaggeration of the city that crawls its way steadily across Hysh, pulled by hundreds of Cog haulers the very fact it is able to move is perhaps what has lent to such a grandeous term. Few understand the reasoning behind such an attribute beyond the very fact that the Ironweld invent for the very sake of innovation, dismissing the cities mobile nature as little more than a flamboyant architects masterpiece. 

To those who know better there is an ancient tale, whispers that before Cor Temporis came to be an expedition found something buried in the sands of Hysh, undeniably ancient and hewn from metal no axe or pick could pierce, a cube littered with Sigils unlike any others seen the realms over. It is said this unknowable vault bewildered the expedition, and around it they built an encampment, it was as the days passed, when each mornings sun struck the Vault they observed perhaps its most perculiar attribute, shifting in the sand, tremoring as it carved its way a few inches further through the realm toward destinations unknown. 

Over the years the encampment has grown, dozens of cogforts deployed that the Weld might understand what secrets the vault could unlock. In time they locked together to shield the vault from the view of would be interlopers, and as yet more forts joined their midsts the engineers within sought new technologies that they might find a way to bore through its metal hide, grand factories sprung up to devise new drills, workshops sought to master flame and fire to melt away the outer layers, prismatic light harnsesses channelled the very nature of the realm at this enigma. 

Centuries has since passed, and whilst some secrets have been derived from the vault it has yet to relent to the bombardments of the Weld, the cogforts have grown to the largest city in the Ironweld with the obsessive need to unlock the Vault driving forward their progress at a staggering rate. Now each day as the Vault moves so does the city, ever onwards to a destination beyond their unstanding.

Edited by Melcavuk
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

I had an idea of a free city of Al-Nephtis located in Hysh. Here Ironweld Arsenal cooperates with Collegiate Arcane applying light magic in their guns and cannons (I plan to make Cannons out of Luminark's "mirror laser").  They were inspired by a species of snake that lives in the desert, flashray cobra, that defends itself and hunts by spitting beams of light.

• Like 2

while all shooty ironweld are kinda good but current lore get too many benefits from creating an iron wall of shields then hunker down as there is no benefit to rush to objective unless its already in advantageous position. and we don't have a solid strike unit to help phalanx to keep safe by attacking foes got past the spears. 

58 minutes ago, khadgar567 said:

while all shooty ironweld are kinda good but current lore get too many benefits from creating an iron wall of shields then hunker down as there is no benefit to rush to objective unless its already in advantageous position. and we don't have a solid strike unit to help phalanx to keep safe by attacking foes got past the spears. 

Currently working on scrolls for two kits, both of which fill the combat void in different ways (one has a fast shooty alternative but its still a rapid response unit in order to fill out mobility).

Ironsworn Templars - Touched on these in my blog, a non-monster heavy infantry unit. Armourclad and Steam powered they were built to go toe to toe with treelords and their ilk. The Paladins and Templars of the Ironweld arsenal their weapons are adorned with heavy hoses to pump boiling oil from vast vats over the blades ready to ignite in order to fell heavier enemies.

Ironsworn Fusiliers - The outriders of the Ironweld Arsenal they mount elaborate Cog Striders, each noble begins to build their own Cogstrider from a young age, an artificer construct of the finest metals and steamwork that can over short distances sprint as fast as the horses of old. Their true potency is the surefooted nature of the constructs, able to provide a stable firing platform for the repeater guns mounted infront of the rider, strafing enemies with heavy leadshot at a short range losing little accuracy when moving.

Ironsworn Lancers - The Knights of the Ironweld Arsenal, much like the Fusiliers they mount Cog Striders though due to their heavier armour move at a slower pace, usually the first into combat for the Weld they fight with heavy lance and cavalry sabre, often also accompanied by a handgun. The sure footed nature of their mounts allows the Lancers to climb obstacles on the battlefield that would otherwise have been impassable to a standard horse. 

• Like 1

that leaves the casters part and the endless spells. we can use spotters for few magic style actions like directed bombardment or requesting supply drop to boost the damage of units like gunnery sergeant from vampire coast. but the new tomes still feel like don't solve big problems as we still focus on shooting and bunkering down on the corner of the map until we get morale win or lose the battle. how about a unit like tree revenants to act as honor guard or tough hammer allow ironweld to push objectives as besides the Templars and lancers we need a few close combat forces capable to push to the objective while bunkered forces act as support /  via indirect fire. this way when we need object secure templars and revenants left the main army to get into the goal early then main bulk of the forces reach and bunker in until we get the win.

3 minutes ago, khadgar567 said:

that leaves the casters part and the endless spells. we can use spotters for few magic style actions like directed bombardment or requesting supply drop to boost the damage of units like gunnery sergeant from vampire coast. but the new tomes still feel like don't solve big problems as we still focus on shooting and bunkering down on the corner of the map until we get morale win or lose the battle. how about a unit like tree revenants to act as honor guard or tough hammer allow ironweld to push objectives as besides the Templars and lancers we need a few close combat forces capable to push to the objective while bunkered forces act as support /  via indirect fire. this way when we need object secure templars and revenants left the main army to get into the goal early then main bulk of the forces reach and bunker in until we get the win.

How about instead of focussing on the spells, we get a few more heroes? synergy is a big part of AOS, especially now of all times. we could have a robber baron/captain of industry type who boost's the hit rolls of war machines, at the cost of laborers lives for example.

9 minutes ago, khadgar567 said:

2 minutes ago, TheR00zle said:

How about instead of focussing on the spells, we get a few more heroes? synergy is a big part of AOS, especially now of all times. we could have a robber baron/captain of industry type who boost's the hit rolls of war machines, at the cost of laborers lives for example.

Focusing on both of the above, I had various musings I have played through in order to try and find a suitable theme. Magic itself whilst not the antithesis of the Ironweld is something that the Colleague Arcane is more inclined to play with, I am firmly of the opinion that not every faction needs magical potency.

Instead looking to the Duardin elements of the Ironweld arsenal what about Runic Enchantments? Have certain characters would allow you to assign certain runes to a unit, and have some combos that allow you to "activate" all runes within a certain aura.

So for example an Runic Ironfather might impart the Rune of Preservation to 1 unit (D3 with a certain warlord trait), when activated it provides said unit with a save vs wounds/mortal wounds.
A Rune of Devastation might increase either the damage of attacks or impart mortal wounds but doing so could well be destructive to the unit it is attacking.

To cover the anti-magic elements of the army it could be entirely possible to have metal hewn "Arcane Siphons" that literally drain an area of magic, again likely through sciences or runic enchantments to be able to channel, disipate or create "noise" that disrupts a spell.

• Like 1

Runes can work so we have forgethenes work as caster unit. Know we are talking for complete army. While robber barons can work as inside faction enemy as normal nobility keeps factories working to keep forge citys safe while robber barons discard  uselesd units ala beasts of chaos. Maybe robber barons can declare units to suicide bomb while nobels use advence tactics to keeps combat machine working

1 hour ago, khadgar567 said:

Runes can work so we have forgethenes work as caster unit. Know we are talking for complete army. While robber barons can work as inside faction enemy as normal nobility keeps factories working to keep forge citys safe while robber barons discard  uselesd units ala beasts of chaos. Maybe robber barons can declare units to suicide bomb while nobels use advence tactics to keeps combat machine working

So we agree on using runes instead of magic? alright then, how do we update some of the current models available to the weld(the official ones) such as the glorious steam tank?

Edited by TheR00zle
typo

I actually previously had a freeguild for my Stormcast that had Cogs as soldiers (rudimentary clockwork soldiers).

As I see it we have several possible approached that can be explored through, though all at once might then become unwieldy and more importantly hard to define as a faction concept. Like most factions in Age of Sigmar there needs to be a single theme dialled up to 11 with the potential for smaller subfactions orbitting.

To me the key concepts are Industrial, Mechanical, Mortal.

I even doubt my own concepts on runic magic fitting into those three key concepts, 

Looking through those every unit concept to me has to see if it fits to those three, or atleast two of the three in order to be viable, cohesive and to concept.

Approaching the redesign of a faction is a challenging concept, typically GW do the models first and that allows the rules designers to know the constraints of the faction and can build the battletome around a set list of models that are coming soon. This allows a structure that when approaching rules first can... lack, where anything is possible it mistakenly leads to the idea that EVERYTHING is possible, so breaking down the unit options as follows here is what I currently see us as having:

Duardin Engineer (Existing Model)
Gunmaster (Existing Model)
HERO A (Monsterous, built as secondary option to a different kit)
HERO B (Cavalry or flier)

BATTLELINE
Riflemen/Arbalesters (Dual Kit, Battleline if Ironweld) - Working in well with the Gunmasters,
Phalanx/Something (Dual Kit) - Here I'm considering factoring in the Cog soldier aspect, potentially functioning better when in the presence of an engineer essentially having the Duardin Engineer acting as a buff hero for the Cog aspects of the army. It would rob the labourer aspect of a second unit to benefit from faction specific buffs.

OTHER
Ironsworn Templar (Also Builds Paladins Hero) - Non-Monster heavy hitter unit, monsterous infantry.
Ironsworn Fusiliers/Lancers - Fast Moving Cavalry

Gyrocopter/Bomber (Existing Kit)

ARTILLERY
Helstom/Helblaster (Existing Kit)
Duardin Cannon (Existing Kit)

BEHEMOTH
Steamtank (Needs a new kit, likely a dual kit. My theory was an Iron Dragon rocket spitting tank, Steel behemoth labourer carrier)

Taking that as a base it means that new kits wise it would be:
Weld Riflemen (Dual Kit)
Weld Phalanx (Dual Kit)
Ironsworn Templar (Dual Kits)
Ironsworn Fusiliers (Dual Kit)
Hero B Clam Pack
Monster/Tank something kit.

Now thats already something thats rivalling the bigger releases, so I'd say at this stage to add a unit we'd need to remove one of my unit suggestions at each time (barring hero B which I have left spare currently). I think the best plan is add a unit, remove a unit policy (unless anyone can make a convincing counter arguement there

When approaching unit design I would go with the following criteria:
Does it fit the theme? 
Does it fill a tactical void in the army? (Not every army needs to fill every void but the army should be competitive based on its own roster)
Does it bring synergy (Part of why I strive to add the Labourer keyword to Weld guard is to have interplay between them and the artillery in the faction, it gives a synergistic link. And just as artillery benefits from them, they benefit from Ironsworn nearby to inspire them. The benefits cascade down from having a mixed list.
Is it needed? (As above, not every faction needs to fill every niche, not everyone needs a monster or magic etc unless it forms a cohesive part of the army, theme and roster)
Is it something better provided by allies? (pretty self explanatory)

So what is the theme?
My suggestion is below, but this is simply my suggestion, it is entirely possible that my own interpretation is wrong or needs refining but here's where collaborative debate can help really hammer down the heart of the question "Who are the Ironweld?"
Industry Driven Humans and Duardin surviving a magical world through innovation and strength of arms.

Edited by Melcavuk

41 minutes ago, Melcavuk said:

[snip]

BEHEMOTH
Steamtank (Needs a new kit, likely a dual kit. My theory was an Iron Dragon rocket spitting tank, Steel behemoth labourer carrier)

First of all, great concept, as usual, I alway enjoy your different army ideas. The Ironweld Arsenal has a special place in my heart as a Ironweld themed force was my first AoS army (back in the dark age before the first GHB!) 

Now to your post. I agree with most of your analysis/thoughts. Only a few things I would disagree with. I don't think the Steam Tank needs an update. Being  a mono-built only kit hurts, but its recent enough to not needing replacement. The current model still holds up pretty well.

Id rather see a new steam tank adjacent unit. They can keep the Tank as a more standard behemoth (maybe adding a command tank/hero variant by using the commander bits in the kit?) and use the other kit for some more specialized variants. For example, a open topped artillery piece (like a mix between a Steamtank and the WW2 Mortar "Karl"), the other variant could replace the mortar with optics and telescopes and turn it into a spotter for the other pieces of artillery (this kit would also build a minor hero when building the mortar). 

Just now, Gecktron said:

First of all, great concept, as usual, I alway enjoy your different army ideas. The Ironweld Arsenal has a special place in my heart as a Ironweld themed force was my first AoS army (back in the dark age before the first GHB!) 

Now to your post. I agree with most of your analysis/thoughts. Only a few things I would disagree with. I don't think the Steam Tank needs an update. Being  a mono-built only kit hurts, but its recent enough to not needing replacement. The current model still holds up pretty well.

Id rather see a new steam tank adjacent unit. They can keep the Tank as a more standard behemoth (maybe adding a command tank/hero variant by using the commander bits in the kit?) and use the other kit for some more specialized variants. For example, a open topped artillery piece (like a mix between a Steamtank and the WW2 Mortar "Karl"), the other variant could replace the mortar with optics and telescopes and turn it into a spotter for the other pieces of artillery (this kit would also build a minor hero when building the mortar). 

I love the Steam Tank, seriously its a beautiful bit of kit, but its emblazoned with empire Iconography and has Karl Franz emblazoned on the front of it. My main aim for a redesign would be to take the heart and base of what it is now but dial it up a bit and add in more Ironweld specific rather than Empire iconography (and a more upto date detailed captain/Gunner in the turret)

I think its also an exciting way of exploring the non-literal interpretations of the Realms, whilst it can be easy to go for the very basic interpretations of the Realms delving deeper into the insights each of the key realms would lend to a creative process and industrious empire could further explore them and how the native populace are influenced in daily life:

Realm Of Fire - Workshops and Artisans whose passions and obsessions are driven to new heights, arguably one of the more artistic of workshops the fruits of its labour often take far longer to desig and manufacture but are true expression of imagination and love. The products of the Aqshy workshops are often considered as much generation defining works of art as they are practical machinery. It is a workshop steeped in passion and ambition, constant competition and fierce rivalries burning as hot as the forges.

Realm of Light - The realm of imagination and innovation, the constantg drive to learn, to explore, to create. The realm of light is known for the most cutting edge innovations from the workshops, striving to always be different, to be new and to progress,some argue that the innovations of the Realm of Light are never allowed to flourish before being replaced, that its artisans cannot bring themselves to duplicate their own work before moving on to the next new idea. A studious, inventive workshop, often considered excessive in intricacies.

Realm of Death - Those who work in the valleys of Shyish are cold, practical people, their machinery engineered to perfection, every gear inspected with clinical precision, every working practice developed with an enduring logic to ensure they withstand the test of time. An engine built in the workshops of Shyish will outlive many a user, enduring as a testament to its inventors legacy. A logical, practical workshop often considered to be lacking in passions.

Realms of Beasts - Those who study in Ghur are a pragmatic sort, they feel no need to over engineer their weaponry, instead creating sturdy, somewhat brutish and enduring work. Some say it is the Cog Haulers of Ghur that are used throughout all the realms, their rugged nature and simplicity to maintain and repair making them the ideal work horse on which to build an empire. A practical workshop, many claim they lack innovation.

Realm of Metal  - The workshops of Chamon are mercurial, ever shifting and changing, it is within these workshops where the ideas of the Guild are refined, forged to newer, keener edges. It would be easy to claim their artisans are unable to think of new concepts themselves, but it is in the forged of Chamon that ideas from the other workshops are developed and refined further, taking a good invention and turning it into something great is as much a work of craftmanship as any.

And so forth!

• Like 1

I've always liked the idea of a tank heavy army. When I was younger I was always fascinated with the Battle of Stalingrad where tanks were literally rolled off the production line onto the front line. 

Would be cool to have a militia type unit of essentially factory workers supporting their creations into battle. 

4 hours ago, xking said:

Don't forget that Cog-forts are a creation of the ironweld. They should be able to make multiple different kinds of walking Clockwork behemoths. 

I was thinking for Cog forts to be their terrain type, a walking bastion that benefits that army around it with a once a game shooty ability for a name artillery piece within it. This gives the army mobile cover (slow but mobile) with benefits specific to the type of Cog fort taken

4 hours ago, xking said:

We can also have some dudes in clockwork armor and some kind of  knights on mechanical horses.( like that old world dude)

Yup, the aim is for Ironsworn Templars/Paladins to be steam powered/clockwork armour about 15 foot tall  and the Fusiliers and Lancers to be riding the mechanical cog striders from the malign portents story.

6 hours ago, Saxon said:

I've always liked the idea of a tank heavy army. When I was younger I was always fascinated with the Battle of Stalingrad where tanks were literally rolled off the production line onto the front line. 

Would be cool to have a militia type unit of essentially factory workers supporting their creations into battle. 

Labourer units (Arbalesters, Riflemen and Phalanx) are designed to be just that, armed well enough by the Weld to defend the arsenal and able to sacrafice models to crew the warmachines as the battle goes on.

To add to my own musings, one of the original concepts I was playing with was encapsulating something of the crusading knights element of the Brets of old into the nobility (we already have the peasantry and the knights but frames in a Sigmar oriented Ironweld Heart). To this end I was considering adding a "Quest" element to the Nobility units, a pre game objective you assign (after forces are deployed but before the first turn) to each unit with the IRONSWORN keyword (you can choose seperately for each unit), this could be anything from Kingslayer (bonuses when fighting heroes), Defender of the Realms (reroll charges if friendly unit is already engaged), Beast Hunter (bonus against monsters). And having Banner relics for the LABOURER classes (big, guild specific banners that are each unique)

Edited by Melcavuk

Thread is up for conversions for the new Ironweld Theme, adding in some musings on the Ironsworn Templars:
Generate "Steam" or "Furnace Points", one each per turn but can pump the enginges for more but risk self injury.
Can expend Steam points for various strenuous activities (double move, overrun charge to trample people, venting the Valve Lance on an impaled target)
Engineers nearby allows to Pump the Engines without risk of harm.
Can carry Signal Lanterns, friendly Warmachines can reroll 1's to hit when targetting an enemy unit within 6 inches of a Signal Lantern.

UNIT BREAKDOWN:
Ironsworn Templars

Unit Type - Slotless
Keyworks - ORDER, IRONWELD ARSENAL, COGWORK, IRONSWORN, TEMPLAR, HERO

Weaponry - 
Valve Lance - Some Templars mount vats of heated oil below their steel hewn lances that they might at the peak of battle drown  impaled foes in the boiling liquid. If in the combat phase this model wounds but does not kill an enemy model with its Valve Lance you may open the vats, roll a D6 subtracting one if this ability has already been used this battle. On a roll of a 3 or more that model immediately takes D3 mortal wounds as they are doused in burning oil.
Cogwork Trampling -  (D3 attacks where the Templar kicks things)

Abilities -
Signal Lantern - Models in this unit may be equipped with a Signal Lantern, marking targets of priority to the heavy guns down field. You may reroll hit rolls of a 1 for friendly IRONWELD WAR MACHINES in the Shooting Phase when they target an enemy unit within 6 inches of a model with this special rule

Weld Heraldry - Models in this unit may be adorned with Weld Heraldry, a reminder to all in the field that the Nobles shed blood alongside their subjects. You may reroll failed Battleshock tests for LABOURER units when they can draw line of sight to atleast one model with this special rule.

Special Rules - 
Stoke the Furnace - In each of your Hero Phases this unit may select a single Cogwork Labour, they gain the corresponding abilities until your next hero phase. You may elect to overheat the furnaces to drive the Cogwork construct on to feats of greater potency, if you do so roll a D6, on a 3 or more you may select a second Cogwork Labour ability to take effect until your next hero phase. On a roll of a 1 this model immediately suffers a mortal wound. You may reroll failed attempts if there is a friendly ENGINEER within 3 inches of this model.

Cogwork Labours - 
Piston Overdrive - Double this models move characteristic until your next HERO PHASE.
Iron Stampede - Until your next HERO PHASE, after this model has completed a Charge Move roll a D6 for every enemy model within 1 inch, on a roll of a 5 or more that unit immediately suffers a Mortal Wound.
Titanic Swing - Add D3 to the attack characteristics of this models Valve Lance until your next HERO PHASE.

NOTES:
This unit has the HERO keywork but is not a LEADER, this is to reflect the fact that whilst piloted by a Noble these are not your generals but questing knights of the Ironweld. This permits them to take Weld Relics or Artificer Cogwork upgrades to their armour but do not count toward your LEADER limitation.
I have included alot of interplay between the various units in the faction with this scroll, it can boost the effectiveness of Labourers and Warmachines but is itself boosted by Engineers. It will have a respectable 7 inch move naturally but can Piston Overdrive to get where it is needed in the first few turns, having to select whether to focus on mobility, getting to combat or combat potency means each turn there is a tangible effect to the choices you make with Cogwork Labours.

Work in progress Warscroll:

page01.jpg

Edited by Melcavuk
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Melcavuk said:

UNIT BREAKDOWN:
Ironsworn Templars

Unit Type - Slotless
Keyworks - ORDER, IRONWELD ARSENAL, COGWORK, IRONSWORN, TEMPLAR, HERO

Weaponry - 
Valve Lance - Some Templars mount vats of heated oil below their steel hewn lances that they might at the peak of battle drown  impaled foes in the boiling liquid. If in the combat phase this model wounds but does not kill an enemy model with its Valve Lance you may open the vats, roll a D6 subtracting one if this ability has already been used this battle. On a roll of a 3 or more that model immediately takes D3 mortal wounds as they are doused in burning oil.
Cogwork Trampling -  (D3 attacks where the Templar kicks things)

Abilities -
Signal Lantern - Models in this unit may be equipped with a Signal Lantern, marking targets of priority to the heavy guns down field. You may reroll hit rolls of a 1 for friendly IRONWELD WAR MACHINES in the Shooting Phase when they target an enemy unit within 6 inches of a model with this special rule

Weld Heraldry - Models in this unit may be adorned with Weld Heraldry, a reminder to all in the field that the Nobles shed blood alongside their subjects. You may reroll failed Battleshock tests for LABOURER units when they can draw line of sight to atleast one model with this special rule.

Special Rules - 
Stoke the Furnace - In each of your Hero Phases this unit may select a single Cogwork Labour, they gain the corresponding abilities until your next hero phase. You may elect to overheat the furnaces to drive the Cogwork construct on to feats of greater potency, if you do so roll a D6, on a 3 or more you may select a second Cogwork Labour ability to take effect until your next hero phase. On a roll of a 1 this model immediately suffers a mortal wound. You may reroll failed attempts if there is a friendly ENGINEER within 3 inches of this model.

Cogwork Labours - 
Piston Overdrive - Double this models move characteristic until your next HERO PHASE.
Iron Stampede - Until your next HERO PHASE, after this model has completed a Charge Move roll a D6 for every enemy model within 1 inch, on a roll of a 5 or more that unit immediately suffers a Mortal Wound.
Titanic Swing - Add D3 to the attack characteristics of this models Valve Lance until your next HERO PHASE.

NOTES:
This unit has the HERO keywork but is not a LEADER, this is to reflect the fact that whilst piloted by a Noble these are not your generals but questing knights of the Ironweld. This permits them to take Weld Relics or Artificer Cogwork upgrades to their armour but do not count toward your LEADER limitation.
I have included alot of interplay between the various units in the faction with this scroll, it can boost the effectiveness of Labourers and Warmachines but is itself boosted by Engineers. It will have a respectable 7 inch move naturally but can Piston Overdrive to get where it is needed in the first few turns, having to select whether to focus on mobility, getting to combat or combat potency means each turn there is a tangible effect to the choices you make with Cogwork Labours.

Work in progress Warscroll:

page01.jpg

so far this seems balanced from my cursory views, but where is everyone getting AOS 2.0 blank war scrolls? I'm just curious