Turragor's Progress

Turragor

So I'm a slow painter by and large. I need to learn speedy tricks. I'm not going to post what I've painted to date (I'll include one pic I put in the display army thread elsewhere) but things I'm currently working on.

The past two and a half weeks my evening hour or two has been spent on 2 concussors. These guys are quite the challenge to paint! In effect it's another LCoD from the starter set with a few more details.

The first one is 99% complete and here he (or she) is!

The 2nd concussor is maybe 70% complete and is next up.

After that I've got 5 x paladins to build and paint, 5  x liberators to build and paint and then 4 x liberators to paint.

After that, well I'm thinking of a style and faction change.

Plus I've got Silver Tower to paint.

We'll see! There's months of work ahead.

dg-1.jpg

dg-2.jpg

dg-3.jpg

dg-4.jpg

dg-5.jpg

dg-6.jpg

• Like 8

I'm stepping back and focusing on the basics for the remaining stormcast.

For the next project I'll be looking at learning a bit more about colour selection (I mostly copy box art which I'd like to move away from) and learning how to work with glazes properly I think.

Edited by Turragor
  • Like 2

An evening where I felt I didn't get much done because I was building (my least favourite part of the hobby currently). But at least now I've got more grey order built to paint. I'd nearly run out (not counting Silver Tower minis primed and waiting).

2016-08-07 22.26.40.jpg

Note - undercoated black miners are old marauder minis I found online.

Also pay no mind to the paladins I built, it'll alllll make sense when I've 2 more push fit retributors to stick starsoul maces on.

Edited by Turragor

Thanks guys!

I 'finished' the test miner. Rushed as he's a test.

His eyes make me giggle. With a model that has small eye areas and an obstruction (the pick and helm) painting eyes for me can be a bit of trial and error. They're borderline for me, approaching 'cartoon' style.

I may just block them in with shadows on the rest of the unit.

Dwarf-miner-1.jpg

Dwarf-miner-2.jpg

Dwarf-miner-3.jpg

Dwarf-miner-4.jpg

• Like 2

I think I'll do just that. What I can do is give it a bash with each of the lads then see if it works out. If not, black out the hollow and leave it. Will have a mix then as some will work out just fine.

One thing I might do is actually bring the blue up from the grey blue (coal black p3 base with fenrisian grey GW worked in) to a more royal blue - just for their trim. Would match stormcast a bit. It's also a colour I don't mind using as a motif with a lot of order stuff I have lying around that I might paint (silver helms, swordmasters).

This guy will also get a clean up once I do the units proper. As I was going so quickly he has a more flowing and less tidy style (in comparison to how I like to work) - which I don't actually mind. It's not 'sloppy' stuff, just less exact. 

The base definitely will get some work though. I'll base the others proper, he's just got some of that GW texture paint I made the mistake of buying when I started. Washed and drybrushed speedily.

Another evening of building (ponies and miner accesories) and then adding larger stones/grit to bases.

First time I've used an almost full range of my modelling tools in an age on this miner kit. It's great fun! PS my hobby desk needs a clean/organise now.

Tomorrow is basing with sand then undercoating. After that it'll be slower 5 at a time assembly line painting. Probably interrupted by big gold guys.

miners-work-1.jpg

miners-work-2.jpg

So my spray can of retributor gold (which I used 100% properly) decided to clog my Paladins. Even after I tested it.

I was pretty bummed.

But I figured I'd contact GWs support and after a real quick resolution (2 hrs for phone and mail responses) was told to just go down to my local store and swap the can and models.

Great stuff!

I know I complain about their prices but they did well by me this time :)

OFC that means I've now got 4 star soul maces instead of 2...

Just when I thought I'd decided what I wanted to build!

2016-08-11 16.33.49.jpg

2016-08-11 16.33.43.jpg

2016-08-11 16.34.13.jpg

12 minutes ago, Ademo said:

Looking great! Looking forward to the final 1% ? do you find the gold ok to paint over on the bases?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yeah. I prefer black but the time saved with the armour base coat means a bit more time on the first colour on the base is worth it.

3 things worked on since last update:

1. Another test dwarf (different colours - I might mix colours a bit in the unit to give a less uniformed feel, they're miners and not soldiers after all).
  2. Some basing experiments with various thicknesses of cork (too late for my stormcast as a whole but maybe characters and definitely a future army).
  3. Using bits to mock up a potential stormcast hero - not actually thinking about a playable model, more thinking about a potential painting project. I am thinking of a bit of spear over shield action.

2016-08-16-22.41.14.jpg

2016-08-16-22.41.jpg

2016-08-16.jpg

2.41.jpg

2016-08-16 22.31.26.jpg

2016-08-16-22.21.jpg

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Big fan of less uniform colour schemes - as long as the unit has colours in common it will tie together nicely. Also like the cork for basing, will you add sand to some areas? I'm personally a fan of dirt on top of rock with exposed faces and areas. Look forward to seeing what you do next!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ademo said:

Big fan of less uniform colour schemes - as long as the unit has colours in common it will tie together nicely. Also like the cork for basing, will you add sand to some areas? I'm personally a fan of dirt on top of rock with exposed faces and areas. Look forward to seeing what you do next!

Yes the base had some sand added to the exposed base and onto some of the cork. You can see without sand under the 3rd image with the model positioned on it.

I am pretty sure I'm thinking of what you mentioned actually.

This base was pretty quick too. Thin cork sheets are great, I don't have to carve like I would with an inch thick one to make it look less like, well, broken cork.

One change I might make is trialling crackle paint - the GW ones or another brand. I think it might look nice to have the edges have that then build some cork sheets, then add the small stones and finally a sprinkle of sand.

Gives me a total of 4 textures and should look rather natural (like a dry, stoney valley - not quite a desert, not quite plains).