How welcoming is the Swedish scene to English speaking people?

Eevika

Hi! I'm a player from Finland but we don't have a lot of AOS tournaments here. It seems like Sweden has a pretty nice scene for AOS and it's probably the closest place I can go to for some larger tournaments. Now the public education system failed me and the only line of Swedish I know is "Jag talar inte Svenska" :D I know people in Sweden speak great English but I just wanted to know well supported the tournaments are in English in terms of like tournament rules and such stuff?

Oh ****** this is a topic I'm perfectly placed to answer!

I've learned okay Swedish during my 5 yrs here but when playing (due to the mass of English terms) I often just speak English. Everyone is totally okay with this.

Some prefer to speak Swedish back because I understand it now.

I don't think it'll be any bother at all :)

20 minutes ago, Turragor said:

Oh ****** this is a topic I'm perfectly placed to answer!

I've learned okay Swedish during my 5 yrs here but when playing (due to the mass of English terms) I often just speak English. Everyone is totally okay with this.

Some prefer to speak Swedish back because I understand it now.

I don't think it'll be any bother at all :)

Nice to hear that! I don't know if you can answer this but is this page he best place to look at when looking at upcoming tournaments or is there another site where upcoming events are listed. 

1 hour ago, Eevika said:

Nice to hear that! I don't know if you can answer this but is this page he best place to look at when looking at upcoming tournaments or is there another site where upcoming events are listed. 

Some are listed on the boards here but a lot are just on the FB pages.

The Swedish one

The main Stockholm one

I don't know where you are placed and don't want to upset any FARMERS (lol*) from Linköping or somewhere miles away like that but the pure odds say Stockholm is maybe where you are from.

*Jag öva på min svensk skitsnack det går så där @Jonatan

Nobody will a problem comunicating in english.

and as Craig is saying, join the Swedish FB groups. We communicate in Swedish but we’ll help you find the tournament info you need in English. 

The rulespacks we write for the tournaments in Stockholm is in English. Unsure about the others, I’m fluent in both Swedish and English so I haven’t thought about it to be honest. Anyway that wouldn’t be a problem since we’d happily translate them for you. 

Archived