Which Warhammer Chronicles books do you like?

eekamouse

These past months I've been doing a deep dive reading AoS novels. I got through the entire Realmgate Wars, Soul Wars, Plague Garden, Hammerhall, the two Callis & Toll books, Shadespire, and the Gotrek audio book. I've loved most of it, especially the Callis & Toll stuff and the more recent Josh Reynolds books. His books seem to start off kind of slow for me, but they really ramp up nicely. 

I'm thinking of picking up either the Sigmar, Nagash, or Gotrek books from the Warhammer Chronicles lines. Are they any good? I'm not too keen on the old dwarf and elf stuff, but if they are really good, I might try them.

One thing I would say is that on the whole, the Warhammer Chronicles books are a lot less high fantasy than AoS stories.  I found that the Sigmar and Nagash triologies were both fairly heavy going - I had to have a couple of punts at the Nagash one in fact.  That said, both trilogies do add a lot of layers to the AoS versions of those characters, you can really see why Nagash is like he is and Sigmar does come across as a barbarian king.

The Gotrek and Felix books are a bit of an exception to the low-fantasy generalisation (especially the William King ones) - a lot more light hearted and less gritty.  I'd actually say that Josh Reynolds is the AoS equivalent of William King - engaging, good amount of action and generally don't feel like a slog to read.  The G&F books don't go too heavily into the dwarf & elf background, it's there more as a setting rather than a crux.

I've finished William Kings Tyrion and Teclis Omnibus as well as Giantslayer. They were absolutely fantastic reading, I quite enjoyed the build of drama, attention to detail as well as the building of Tyrion and Teclis as characters.

I remember reading the Malus Darkblade books, but I've found it uninteresting for the most part. 

Eight Lamentations, Callis and Toll, Plague Garden, Nagash were decent but didn't attract me in any memorable way. 

Realmslayers was a blast, however not because of the script but because of the voice actors. The more memorable moments were the taunting Skaven as well as few observations that Gotrek makes on the new world.

Out of BL writers I usually avoid Gav Thorpe and cannot recommend any of his work. 

It's probably a little dry, then? Sometimes I really prefer it, but some might not. Some real politics etc. The only real humour I remember is between Malekith and the Dwarfs, and the battles are pretty restrained (been a while though!). I loved them, but should re-read soon.

I think the Nagash trilogy was more over the top, some big battles and lots of magic.

I think the William King Gotrek and Felix stuff (Skavenslayer etc) are classics.

I recently finished the Ulrika series and thought it was great reading for how Vampires should work in the world of Warhammer/AoS.

I am reading Hammerhal now and am enjoying it so far.

Archived