Spiders, Squigs or Troggoths?

ViscidFlux

Having struggled to actually finish an army and play AoS, I've set myself the challenge of getting a 2000pts army built and painted for Throne of Skulls at the end of March. Only problem is I can't decide which army to run with. The Gloomspite Gitz are looking to be one of the most varied and fun armies out there, so are chief amongst my considerations. However, I find myself drawn (and torn) between the many sub-factions they have.

My criteria for making my lists and deciding which to run are:

• Theme: I've always been a more narrative player, so having a good background for the army is key
  • Model count/complexity - I've not got long to get this army ready, so I'd rather focus my time on fewer, centre piece models than a horde. 
  • Viability - While not an overly competitive player, I at least want to run a list that won't get completely trashed turn one every game. 
  • Cost - Less important, but a factor nevertheless.

With that in mind the three lists I've come up with are:

Spiderfang Grots  - Toying between the idea of an out the box spiderfang, or converting them into cursed moonclan grots that have been "persuaded" to worship the great spider egg. 

Spoiler

Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarock 

Scuttleboss on Giant Spider

Arachnarock with Warparty

20 Spider Riders

20 Spider Riders 

10 Spider Riders 

10 Spider Riders

Spider Rider Skitterswarm

Scuttletide 

Troggoths - Themed around a Troggoth Hag and her three sons. The smallest (counts as Mollog) has accumulated a collections of "pets". 

Spoiler

Dankhold Trogboss 

Trog Hag

Mollog 

3 Rockgut Troggoths 

3 Rockgut Troggoths 

3 Fellwater Troggoths 

Dankhold Troggoth 

Skitterstrand Arachnarock 

6 Squig Herd 

6 Squig Herd 

Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron 

Squigs - Bretonnia is reborn, just a little more red this time, and with more teeth. An army Duncan would be proud of (horrified is just like pride, right?) Lots of flags and scavenged shields and armour. The Arachnarock would actually be a giant spider squig. 

Spoiler

Loonboss on Mangler Squig 

Loonboss on Giant Squig

Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarock 

5 Boingrot Bounderz 

5 Squig Hoppers

5 Squig Hoppers 

Squig Rider Stampede 

5 Squig Hoppers 

5 Squig Hoppers 

5 Squig Hoppers 

Squig Rider Stampede 

Squig Herd 

Colossal Squig 

Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron 

Ravenak's Gnashing Jaws 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

I am going with squigs, personally.  I am a sucker for mounted armies and I too enjoy having a more elite force. The idea of an army of squig knights really does it for me.  They are fun, light hearted and seem like they can do some damage if played well and if you roll at least average for movement.  Going squigs lets you check off most of your boxes.  I don't think that it will be a very cheap army ever, however. 

The story behind my Gemtoof Squig Herders is that they grow their squigs in a mineral rich cave system underneath the crust of Chamon.  This doen't do anything to the squigs bodies but they grow with gems and ore deposits in their teeth.  My Loonboss' Mangler Squigs are going to be grown from a couple of meteorites.  One that was full of Warpstone and the other Ur-gold.  This resulted in a green bioluminescent glowing maw in one and an amber-gold maw in the other. I intend to make a post tracking my progress when I have some progress to track.

How are you planning on doing the Shaman on Arachnarock to squig conversion?

I love the idea of the Squig-tonians, but that list for them seems a bit weak. Minimum size squads are going to get wrecked I feel. 5 models with a 6+ save are very likely to die before they accomplish something. Squig Hoppers can come in squads of 20, and I feel at least one mob of 20 is needed. Boingrots can come in squads of 15.

4 minutes ago, dirkdragonslayer said:

I love the idea of the Squig-tonians, but that list for them seems a bit weak. Minimum size squads are going to get wrecked I feel. 5 models with a 6+ save are very likely to die before they accomplish something. Squig Hoppers can come in squads of 20, and I feel at least one mob of 20 is needed. Boingrots can come in squads of 15.

Agreed, your better off taking more models in the units you have than going for more units.   If your worried about bravery it will be a moot point due to how low leadership they are.  Kill 3 squigs and watch the other 2 run away. Even losing 1 can be bad

1 hour ago, Jazarith said:

The story behind my Gemtoof Squig Herders is that they grow their squigs in a mineral rich cave system underneath the crust of Chamon.  This doen't do anything to the squigs bodies but they grow with gems and ore deposits in their teeth.  My Loonboss' Mangler Squigs are going to be grown from a couple of meteorites.  One that was full of Warpstone and the other Ur-gold.  This resulted in a green bioluminescent glowing maw in one and an amber-gold maw in the other. I intend to make a post tracking my progress when I have some progress to track.

That sounds awesome. I want to do a counts as Stormcast (Sacrosanct) based around Chamon mage hunters and their automatron servants. It's a great realm to play with.

The arachnarock was either going to be a mangler squig or colossal squig with arachnarock legs (the loonboss would be just on one mangler).

If I got rid of the second Stampede I could double the size of the first, and if I lost the Gnashing Jaws, I could boost the Bounderz to 15 and add a second Squig herd (objective grabbers). The temptation is to lose the Arachnarock and Arachnacauldron for another unit of 15 Bounderz, and just go all out on cavarly, but the list has very little magic, and one thing GG lack is mounted wizards.

Spiderfang would probably be too expensive to do them the way I want to, and I'd have to separate those legs. I do love Troggoths, and less models means I can put more effort into each. Squig Knights though :) 

Archived