GHB2019 Hopes & Expectations

PJetski

6 hours ago, Aegisgrimm said:

Do we really need to have Duardin end up being the reanimation of Squats, just in AoS?  At some point, the game ends up just being Steampunk 40k, not High Fantasy.

No we don't need it but from a lore standpoint there's not really much room for the Dwarfs of old in AoS given that this new world is all about magic in the extreme as opposed to 40k which is Sci-fi in the extreme, I personally can't find much room thematically for a race which made its bones in WHFB being the antithesis of magic and the be all and end all of engineering and technology, seems only logical that they would make some use of the overload of magical energy in the world post necro-quake.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I expect GW to continue pushing what they see as the three ways to play. In particular, they will be making matched play what they want it to be, which is very different from what some players seem to want. Tournament play is a matched play variant where the tournament organizer (not typically GW) makes adjustments such as restricting double turns or eliminating realm rules in the tournament pack. I’d like GW to stay out of that, personally. 

3 hours ago, JPjr said:

* just an addendum but I see a lot of people who look down on narrative play as silly or fluffy or whatever think that people playing more narrative games aren't playing to win or have no interest in winning games,. Yes we might be looking to create a game that has more of a story feel, but I think you'll find most still want to be the hero of their own story and it just might be that winning involves something more than tabling the opponent.

I always found this idea to be pretty absurd. Every version of this game is silly whether it is narrative, open, or competitive.  Each version involves pretending to fight a battle in a fantastical world using little toy people.  It’s a silly past-time by nature.  Looking down on someone because they make-believe in a different way is a pretty dumb thing to do.

11 hours ago, Swampmist said:

Just gonna pop in here as an active Warmachine and hordes player and politely disagree with the discussion :P. Game is incredibly fun, with both scenario and assassination as viable win conditions, and basically every army is competitive. I'm currently getting into AoS as a side game, and its incredibly easy to see the massive divide between the haves and have-nots in comparison.

As for GHB, matched play competitiveness ect... if matched play exists, it should focus on being the best comp. ruleset it can be. The excitingness of the double turn is fantastic for narrative and open play but really isn't conducive to a game that people are going to spend hundreds of dollars travelling to play in prize-money-having tournaments for. GW should absolutely keep open and narrative play around, and expand them so that they can become the defacto Beer-and-Pretzels at the game club experience. These rulesets are a big part of what allows GW to keep their games afloat vs Warmachine, Xwing, ect and should be cherished as such. But if they want to run a tournament series as big as the GT, they need to focus Matched Play (or a 4th, very specifically tourney-minded ruleset) in on balancing the game and armies to a standard that the current rules do not. Just my 2c though.

As someone who also plays Warmachine and Hordes (I've been playing since 2008, with a few breaks) I completely agree with you! There are reasons to support both caster assasination and scenario win and I would not like that to change. Game is fun and as you have already said, every army is competitive.

What bothers me is that I would not like to see Warmachine mentality applied to AoS. The main problem of Warmachine is that it's competitive by nature and there's not much that you can do about it. Privateer Press made this problem worse by not promoting any different types of play (there used to be some campaigns in old MK1 books and a few scenarios in No Quarter magazine, but that's all; however, I know there will be a campaign book for WM this year). In contrast, GW always had stuff like campaign books, unusual scenarios and different modes of play (Skirmish, Warbands, Regiments of Renown, for example) and GW rules were always much better suited for narrative games - where two players are trying to tell some cool story using miniatures. I think the problem is that not many players does that - too many people scream "BALANCE!", or "TOURNAMENTS!" and they completely forget that some games are simply not competitive by nature - they focus on some other things entirely. I always felt that WHFB rules were never good enough for tournament play (compared to WM rules). However, I appreciate AoS for giving me a way to simply focus on a completely different way of playing the game - something that was not possible with WM (or maybe was possible, but not without a huge effort). 

I mean, sometimes I feel like people are too obsessed with balance, metagame and list optimization, that they completely forgot why are they playing games in the first place.

7 hours ago, Bellfree said:

Delete the Realm of Battle rules from organized play. They're stupid and add nothing but RNG to tournaments. Keep them for normal match play if you want but make it clear they're not really intended to be used at competitive events. Because regardless of what GW, they are in fact NOT designed for tournaments.

Most events are run by independent people.  They are free to put whatever they want into the rules packets for those events.  GW designed a lot of these rules as optional modules that you can add or remove.  If you don’t like specific rules at events take it up with the people who run those events.  In the end the organizers are going to usually do what the majority of people attending their events want.

But it is highly unlikely that GW is going to start designing all of their rules and supplements for those sorts of events because it goes against some of the philosophies that head designers like Jervis have publicly espoused since the 90s and those events still make up just a fraction of overall global sales.

1 hour ago, Painbringer said:

As someone who also plays Warmachine and Hordes (I've been playing since 2008, with a few breaks) I completely agree with you! There are reasons to support both caster assasination and scenario win and I would not like that to change. Game is fun and as you have already said, every army is competitive.

What bothers me is that I would not like to see Warmachine mentality applied to AoS. The main problem of Warmachine is that it's competitive by nature and there's not much that you can do about it. Privateer Press made this problem worse by not promoting any different types of play (there used to be some campaigns in old MK1 books and a few scenarios in No Quarter magazine, but that's all; however, I know there will be a campaign book for WM this year). In contrast, GW always had stuff like campaign books, unusual scenarios and different modes of play (Skirmish, Warbands, Regiments of Renown, for example) and GW rules were always much better suited for narrative games - where two players are trying to tell some cool story using miniatures. I think the problem is that not many players does that - too many people scream "BALANCE!", or "TOURNAMENTS!" and they completely forget that some games are simply not competitive by nature - they focus on some other things entirely. I always felt that WHFB rules were never good enough for tournament play (compared to WM rules). However, I appreciate AoS for giving me a way to simply focus on a completely different way of playing the game - something that was not possible with WM (or maybe was possible, but not without a huge effort). 

I mean, sometimes I feel like people are too obsessed with balance, metagame and list optimization, that they completely forgot why are they playing games in the first place.

This is a great point, and why I really stress that open and narrative play stick around and expand. They are the kind of game GW is good at making. However, if GW wants to run a global tournament series (correct me if I’m wrong ofc, I thought the grand tournament series was a GW event but it could be seperate) then they need an alternate ruleset focused on tournament play and balance.

4 minutes ago, Swampmist said:

This is a great point, and why I really stress that open and narrative play stick around and expand. They are the kind of game GW is good at making. However, if GW wants to run a global tournament series (correct me if I’m wrong ofc, I thought the grand tournament series was a GW event but it could be seperate) then they need an alternate ruleset focused on tournament play and balance.

I don’t think GW is too concerned about developing a global tournament circuit.  Sure, they did bring back grand tournaments, but I don’t think they really care that much and mainly did it because people seemed interested.  I still highly doubt that the lead developers that drive overall direction of the main games care one bit about tournaments.  I expect that the tournament organization is driven by a completely separate team than the various rules teams.

40 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I don’t think GW is too concerned about developing a global tournament circuit.  Sure, they did bring back grand tournaments, but I don’t think they really care that much and mainly did it because people seemed interested.  I still highly doubt that the lead developers that drive overall direction of the main games care one bit about tournaments.  I expect that the tournament organization is driven by a completely separate team than the various rules teams.

Fair enough, but my argument would be that they cannot have their cake and eat it too. They are still a company; there's no reason they cannot work together on this, to ensure the tournaments that they and their attendees spend a lot of money on have a ruleset conducive to that environment.

11 minutes ago, Swampmist said:

Fair enough, but my argument would be that they cannot have their cake and eat it too. They are still a company; there's no reason they cannot work together on this, to ensure the tournaments that they and their attendees spend a lot of money on have a ruleset conducive to that environment.

Their events seem to be focused more on the whole hobby and less on just pure competitive aspects.  And I am willing to bet that most of the feedback they get from events that they run is actually quite positive.  They probably don’t think they need to change anything.

22 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Their events seem to be focused more on the whole hobby and less on just pure competitive aspects.  And I am willing to bet that most of the feedback they get from events that they run is actually quite positive.  They probably don’t think they need to change anything.

Perfectly reasonable! If this is the case, I'd like to again stress expansion to narrative and open play, as they are likely what is bringing GW value. Has anyone here been to a major GT run by GW? All I've heard about is NOVA, which I know had GW press coverage but they weren't part of the actual event organization.

6 minutes ago, Swampmist said:

Perfectly reasonable! If this is the case, I'd like to again stress expansion to narrative and open play, as they are likely what is bringing GW value. Has anyone here been to a major GT run by GW? All I've heard about is NOVA, which I know had GW press coverage but they weren't part of the actual event organization.

I believe that they do all of these things at their events.  My understanding is that they run narrative and fun events, competitive tournaments, painting workshops, designer interviews, etc.  They seem to have a structure like Privateer Press’ yearly convention where they take a more holistic approach to promoting the whole hobby.

But online forums and news outlets seem to focus mostly on the product teasers/announcements (understandable) and the main tournament results.  And that is probably due to a focus on their online readership - which I think trends more towards the competitive crowd and probably is not fully indicitive of the global GW sales base.

Honestly though, this is all just conjecture.  But GW seems to be trending in a very positive direction in most areas over the last couple of years so in that regard they seem to be doing the right thing.

11 hours ago, LionofFenchurchEast said:

No we don't need it but from a lore standpoint there's not really much room for the Dwarfs of old in AoS given that this new world is all about magic in the extreme as opposed to 40k which is Sci-fi in the extreme, I personally can't find much room thematically for a race which made its bones in WHFB being the antithesis of magic and the be all and end all of engineering and technology, seems only logical that they would make some use of the overload of magical energy in the world post necro-quake.

I'd say give them animated constructs.  I'm just getting into the game, but wasn't their god one of the architects of making the Stormcast alongside Sigmar?  Seems like Duardin would just do it with stone.  Anscestor spirits infused into Rune golems?

Hell, give them cavalry for once!  Don't go the go-to easy reaction of goats or bears, make them riding rune-infused quadrupedal golem mounts the size of Gore-Gruntas.  Legitimate heavy cavalry would definitely divorce them from Old World Dwarfs.

59 minutes ago, Aegisgrimm said:

I'd say give them animated constructs.  I'm just getting into the game, but wasn't their god one of the architects of making the Stormcast alongside Sigmar?  Seems like Duardin would just do it with stone.  Anscestor spirits infused into Rune golems?

Hell, give them cavalry for once!  Don't go the go-to easy reaction of goats or bears, make them riding rune-infused quadrupedal golem mounts the size of Gore-Gruntas.  Legitimate heavy cavalry would definitely divorce them from Old World Dwarfs.

What about going left field and giving them mole cavalry that can dig underground and pop up around the gameboard?

The biggest killer to Dispossesed imo is their movement restrictions (thematically correct certainly) which in this game of objective grabbing makes them hard mode. Not to mention there being only one viable build really. Adding as well they lack in variety with the entire army being infantry who only shoot or hit stuff.

5 hours ago, Aegisgrimm said:

I'm sorry but IMHO that is just a really lazy concept I played Dwarfs in WHFB and to just simply "Dwarfify" Stormcasts purely because Grungni did most of the legwork crafting them seems like the laziest segway into AoS and seems totally out of character for a race which prided itself on always leaps ahead of humanity in terms of technology.

I will concede that cav does sound like an interesting prospect there was many a time I'd have been happy to have some, but again I think using the mythology of the stormcasts to form the basis for any new dispossessed models or as general feel purely because of Grungi's involvement in their formation is wrong.

Reading the background for both Kharadron and Fyreslayers who are both very much extremes of Old world Dwarfs (Kharadron being engineering and technology & Fyreslayers being ancestor veneration and runic superstition) it seems only right that dispossessed would fall somewhere in the middle but given their background it'd make more sense to have that being runic machinery rather than automatons. 

I'd also like to see how they fit Duardin into the larger overall mechanics of "uber-magicks" that they are clearly investing heavily in. 

19 hours ago, LionofFenchurchEast said:

There is, of course there is.

The disposessed are the duardin without a home as it stands.

Why not give them instead of dwarf holds under the mountains  give them a mountain that moves.  A cogfort but on a massive scale, or alternatively one could argue that with all the magic around those runes are even more powerful than ever, or even rediscovering old ancient duardin kingdoms with dormant realmgates linking them all together - perhaps of old the Dwarf kingdoms were the trading capitals that the kharadron aspire to be, linking all realms, and also providing safety to all therein as chaos and magic struggled to find foothold therein.

Maybe they've found or rediscovered a metal or material so pure it is anathema to chaos, and now they seek to mine it again - perhaps it's why their duardin kingdoms fell to the weight of chaos attacks and now lie dormant.

Back when Warhammer was born it mentioned a lot about dwarf ancestor statues, maybe this could be a thing.  perhaps their endless spell would be a runefather summoning the collective spirits of  ancient heroes, not ghosts but drawing on the resolute belief of the duardin themselves in their past to summon a wall of thought, duty and belief given form as a spectral tide of fallen heroes, or even they are just the iron wills and resolute honour of the duardin that his desire to protect and do his duty is so strong that gives up final dying breath to protect his people.  His sould goes to grugni, but his breath, his final act of thought and want is pulled into the anvil so that it, and in turn he may be called upon to serve one last time.

It could be that the ancient battle furnaces and rune anvils that have sat dormant since time began have always had this power and are now bulging with countless epochs of duardin faith.

Maybe this is what separates them from the techno reliant Kharadron and the rune collecting Fireslayers - that they alone still have retained the knowledge and the skill to craft and manipulate runes.  They can still read them, unlock them, work them over and above that which the other two newer factions thought possible,

Maybe their antithesis to magic isn't a hatred but a siphon. They distrust magic but see that magical energy itself in its raw form is no different to fire,  and they seek to siphon it from other magic users (because they have done the hard work of distilling it into a spell) so they can take the raw spellstuff and fashion it into runes.  Their runes are how they harness magic.

Like the elves and the undead collect souls, the dispossessed collect magic.  Magic is the fuel that runes use. 

maybe they've allied with beasts of the mountain, and in return they provide transport, or perhaps they have constructs which honour these creatures in their forms.

I see them as a real anvil of an army, and something which tzeentch in particular would really want to see gone, as potentially they could stop his armies cold as they siphon the raw magic from them, and in direct contrast Khorne would want to corrupt them as the anti magic in his hands would mean his power would magnify to epic proportions - maybe the only thing that stops them is that the mystical metal, or they as a people are infused with an soul or essence that chaos cannot take a hold over, and thus hates even more. - perhaps this is why chaos hates the stormcast even more, as the weaver of fate knows that grugni maybe wiped some of this property onto the stormcast souls themselves and mixed with sigmars celestial energy combined so that they could not be lost to chaos.

Perhaps these realmgates also linked them to the world that was before the gates at the poles collapsed and locked the old world off from everything - explaining why the old world dwarfs lost much of their former greatness until it was just myth and legend to them.

That could be why they're considered magical antithesis, because by their very nature the dispossessed in any great number would literally suck magic out of anything or anyone that manipulates it nearby if it wasn't  contained in a weapon or armour or other physical shackle naturally without even thinking about it or knowing it was going on, and the old world dwarfs lost to isolation wouldn't have had a clue it was going in, and certainly it wouldn't have had the strength it has now, just a penumbra by comparison.

Spell casters might find that its gets harder to cast, or spells start fading in their spell books..

Perhaps that's what's awakened them again, the very fact that the soul wars and the avalanche of magic that followed practically jumpstarted this latent dormant power again  - imagine that, an endless spell rampaging across the battlefield and starts to get weaker if not disappear and within seconds the Ironbreaker's runes on their armour flare and the anvil of the rune father thrums into life.

Maybe it's this re-awakening of duardin latent power, which was even dormant in the old world, has forced other cities with unusually large dispossessed communities  to start pushing them out as they have found their magical endeavours disrupted and realise that these dearest of allies have reached a time when they themselves must start forging their own destiny anew and seek their own lands.

@JReynoldscould this be a thing in a realm where anything is possible?

It would tie in with their hatred of skaven, who perhaps have found a particularly nice lump of warpstone but its encased in this magical metal ore and so is unreachable,  or maybe the ore has a greater purpose- a living organism or a gas that finds warpstone and solidifies around it - and in the old world the rats knew this already and the thing they feared most was the stunties working it out for themselves if they ever found the two together?

Of course then you have the gloomspite gitz and the troggoths and that luvely fungus filled cave... well, how the hell were they supposed to know it was an ancient kingdom of the stunties?  

"don't go down  there boys, it's too dark for even moon magic to work - it leaves you if you go too far down"

In the world that was, the dwarfs werte coming to the end of their age, now perhaps darker, more resolute, grittier, the dispossessed realise finally that for them it is the beginning of a new great age of rediscovery.

The fireslayers would recognise that through helping their cousins they would gain in their bid to restore their god, and the kharadron would always be up for the thought of the profit to be made from a skyport at every duardin kingdom's peak - a mountain kingdom inside and out.

er.. sorry about that... I've rambled a bit.

what I'm trying to say is maybe there is still a place for Disposessed  :)

And now like the pointy ears we have potentially three flavours of them - which is great.

(oh an a fourth if you count the Legion :) )

59 minutes ago, LionofFenchurchEast said:

I'd also like to see how they fit Duardin into the larger overall mechanics of "uber-magicks" that they are clearly investing heavily in. 

IMHO, "Runes" or "Impossible-machines" are part of  dwarf "magic". I mean, we don't need to think about magic like a fireball, and uber-magic like a bigger fireball. We can expand the concept of runeforging (whatever that means) and just that will be perfect for AoS settings.

Rune-Golems with Ancestor Spirits (like other said, like Wraith-things from Eldars or even Dreadnoughts), Mechanical-beasts animated by runes, etc... are just examples that can work for Duardins, and that's only just the begining, because you can go crazy  and it will still fit really well with AoS.

Say, does every armie has to be literally different from the story ones held or written down by Tolkien’s.

Isn’t it somehow interesting to maybe have a few faction that stay the way they are?

wouldn't it be cool to have a dwarfen faction that only fight on foot but can compensate with other things instead? (Like giving them all a better saving throw, or making them better in melee?)

Just a few question which poped up in my head.

I play a local store, but it's more of a community hub for everything from GW to card games to DnD. They can go up to something like 16 4x4 boards or 10 6 x 4 and regularly sell out. I run the social media and organisation for our local AoS community and we have people who play less competitive and are happy to run armies like Wanderers, Swifthawk or Skaven and those like myself who prefer the more meta friendly armies and play to win. However, without exception we all play matched play and none of us use realm rules. 

If someone came and wanted to play open or narrative I doubt they would find anyone willing to play them. They would politely be encouraged to build a list for matched play.

I don't think our place is over competitive either, because one of our more competitive guys actually said he was considered the "fluffy" player at South London. 

26 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Rune-Golems with Ancestor Spirits (like other said, like Wraith-things from Eldars or even Dreadnoughts), Mechanical-beasts animated by runes, etc... are just examples that can work for Duardins, and that's only just the begining, because you can go crazy  and it will still fit really well with AoS.

See Dreadnought type "mecha-suits" are what I was kind of thinking I completely agree that they would be in some way rune powered, but I just find the idea of automatons for Dispossessed to be a lazy link to Grungi's involvement in the stormcasts. 

2 minutes ago, LionofFenchurchEast said:

See Dreadnought type "mecha-suits" are what I was kind of thinking I completely agree that they would be in some way rune powered, but I just find the idea of automatons for Dispossessed to be a lazy link to Grungi's involvement in the stormcasts. 

I kind of see the same thing, but not in the sense that they are piloted as such. They just animate when called upon.  Hey here's a thing, how about that the disposessed create a statue as a headstone to a tomb, and powerful families might have a bigger monument erected. These are the things that animate when the runes are struck?

35 minutes ago, Beliman said:

IMHO, "Runes" or "Impossible-machines" are part of  dwarf "magic". I mean, we don't need to think about magic like a fireball, and uber-magic like a bigger fireball. We can expand the concept of runeforging (whatever that means) and just that will be perfect for AoS settings.

totally agree.

A new anvil of doom scenery item could have a once per battle mighty rune that is the endless spell for them.  Instead of rampaging it strikes down all enemy units causing mortal wounds, and perhaps to represent the sucking in of magical energies there could be a mechanic where the longer it goes in the game without being used, or the more endless spells / regular spells dispelled  it manages to absorb the more potent the strike is.

Perhaps the spectral minions could be summoned in this way as well, or the thing is in itself a realmgate to the dwarf hold that the army marches through to re-inforce the troops.

46 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

There is, of course there is.

The disposessed are the duardin without a home as it stands.

Why not give them instead of dwarf holds under the mountains  give them a mountain that moves.  A cogfort but on a massive scale, or alternatively one could argue that with all the magic around those runes are even more powerful than ever, or even rediscovering old ancient duardin kingdoms with dormant realmgates linking them all together - perhaps of old the Dwarf kingdoms were the trading capitals that the kharadron aspire to be, linking all realms, and also providing safety to all therein as chaos and magic struggled to find foothold therein.

Maybe they've found or rediscovered a metal or material so pure it is anathema to chaos, and now they seek to mine it again - perhaps it's why their duardin kingdoms fell to the weight of chaos attacks and now lie dormant.

Back when Warhammer was born it mentioned a lot about dwarf ancestor statues, maybe this could be a thing.  perhaps their endless spell would be a runefather summoning the collective spirits of  ancient heroes, not ghosts but drawing on the resolute belief of the duardin themselves in their past to summon a wall of thought, duty and belief given form as a spectral tide of fallen heroes, or even they are just the iron wills and resolute honour of the duardin that his desire to protect and do his duty is so strong that gives up final dying breath to protect his people.  His sould goes to grugni, but his breath, his final act of thought and want is pulled into the anvil so that it, and in turn he may be called upon to serve one last time.

It could be that the ancient battle furnaces and rune anvils that have sat dormant since time began have always had this power and are now bulging with countless epochs of duardin faith.

Maybe this is what separates them from the techno reliant Kharadron and the rune collecting Fireslayers - that they alone still have retained the knowledge and the skill to craft and manipulate runes.  They can still read them, unlock them, work them over and above that which the other two newer factions thought possible,

Maybe their antithesis to magic isn't a hatred but a siphon. They distrust magic but see that magical energy itself in its raw form is no different to fire,  and they seek to siphon it from other magic users (because they have done the hard work of distilling it into a spell) so they can take the raw spellstuff and fashion it into runes.  Their runes are how they harness magic.

Like the elves and the undead collect souls, the dispossessed collect magic.  Magic is the fuel that runes use. 

maybe they've allied with beasts of the mountain, and in return they provide transport, or perhaps they have constructs which honour these creatures in their forms.

I see them as a real anvil of an army, and something which tzeentch in particular would really want to see gone, as potentially they could stop his armies cold as they siphon the raw magic from them, and in direct contrast Khorne would want to corrupt them as the anti magic in his hands would mean his power would magnify to epic proportions - maybe the only thing that stops them is that the mystical metal, or they as a people are infused with an soul or essence that chaos cannot take a hold over, and thus hates even more. - perhaps this is why chaos hates the stormcast even more, as the weaver of fate knows that grugni maybe wiped some of this property onto the stormcast souls themselves and mixed with sigmars celestial energy combined so that they could not be lost to chaos.

Perhaps these realmgates also linked them to the world that was before the gates at the poles collapsed and locked the old world off from everything - explaining why the old world dwarfs lost much of their former greatness until it was just myth and legend to them.

That could be why they're considered magical antithesis, because by their very nature the dispossessed in any great number would literally suck magic out of anything or anyone that manipulates it nearby if it wasn't  contained in a weapon or armour or other physical shackle naturally without even thinking about it or knowing it was going on, and the old world dwarfs lost to isolation wouldn't have had a clue it was going in, and certainly it wouldn't have had the strength it has now, just a penumbra by comparison.

Spell casters might find that its gets harder to cast, or spells start fading in their spell books..

Perhaps that's what's awakened them again, the very fact that the soul wars and the avalanche of magic that followed practically jumpstarted this latent dormant power again  - imagine that, an endless spell rampaging across the battlefield and starts to get weaker if not disappear and within seconds the Ironbreaker's runes on their armour flare and the anvil of the rune father thrums into life.

Maybe it's this re-awakening of duardin latent power, which was even dormant in the old world, has forced other cities with unusually large dispossessed communities  to start pushing them out as they have found their magical endeavours disrupted and realise that these dearest of allies have reached a time when they themselves must start forging their own destiny anew and seek their own lands.

@JReynoldscould this be a thing in a realm where anything is possible?

It would tie in with their hatred of skaven, who perhaps have found a particularly nice lump of warpstone but its encased in this magical metal ore and so is unreachable,  or maybe the ore has a greater purpose- a living organism or a gas that finds warpstone and solidifies around it?

Of course then you have the gloomspite gitz and the troggoths and that luvely fungus filled cave... well, how the hell were they supposed to know it was an ancient kingdom of the stunties?  

"don't go down  there boys, it's too dark for even moon magic to work - it leaves you if you go too far down"

In the world that was, the dwarfs werte coming to the end of their age, now perhaps darker, more resolute, grittier, the dispossessed realise finally that for them it is the beginning of a new great age of rediscovery.

The fireslayers would recognise that through helping their cousins they would gain in their bid to restore their god, and the kharadron would always be up for the thought of the profit to be made from a skyport at every duardin kingdom's peak - a mountain kingdom inside and out.

er.. sorry about that... I've rambled a bit.

what I'm trying to say is maybe there is still a place for Disposessed  :)

And now like the pointy ears we have potentially three flavours of them - which is great.

(oh an a fourth if you count the Legion :) )

I get what you're saying and I largely agree with you, you've misinterpreted my comment though, I was saying that without there being some form of intermediate between the newer Duardin races and taking on some form of steampunk aspect as you mentioned the cog-fortress I don't see how they fit in, I've read both of the newer Duardin BTs and in the Kharadron especially it makes reference to land based trading posts which for me would seem to be beacons for Dispossessed, all in all I would like the Gloomspite BT to be a basis for all new Tomes, combining factions from the world that was and New ideas together to make reimagine the races and armies that made WHFB so amazing. Make KO the Navy/Airforce, Dispossessed the Armour and Fyreslayers the Infantry but and expand that format to include new models and ideas because Duardin desperately need some love in AoS

12 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

A new anvil of doom scenery item could have a once per battle mighty rune that is the endless spell for them.  Instead of rampaging it strikes down all enemy units causing mortal wounds, and perhaps to represent the sucking in of magical energies there could be a mechanic where the longer it goes in the game without being used, or the more endless spells / regular spells dispelled  it manages to absorb the more potent the strike is.

That sounds awesome. I was thinking about a prison-like model/terrain (don't know if created by "building points/summoned" or just a hero/behemoth/warmachine  that can "contain/remove" endless spells and release them when you want (magic-prison).

I don't know how it could work, but the concept is that Duardin don't use "normal magic/uber-magic" but create some type of structures/new model/whatever to shut down endless spells (or normal magic) or even put them in a cage to be released later (in the battlefield/table).

Maybe a dual kit of a some type of vehicle that you can build a magic-disruptor or a cage that has some random endless spells in it (maybe a table that you need to roll to see waht is released?). 

1 hour ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Say, does every armie has to be literally different from the story ones held or written down by Tolkien’s.

Isn’t it somehow interesting to maybe have a few faction that stay the way they are?

wouldn't it be cool to have a dwarfen faction that only fight on foot but can compensate with other things instead? (Like giving them all a better saving throw, or making them better in melee?)

Just a few question which poped up in my head.

Not really. Thats just not what GW is about anymore. You can get Tolkien dwarfs everywhere. Age of Sigmar/GW needs a unique selling point to generate interessant and to establish their own universe. 

Sure, the dwarfs had their own quirks but there isn't much interesting stuff left in their line without slayers and machines. 
You can't build a new release around "more of the same". Gloomspite gitz worked because Night Goblins and squigs, in this form, were unique to begin with, Dwarfs in mountains with heavy armor and axes are not. 

11 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

Not really. Thats just not what GW is about anymore. You can get Tolkien dwarfs everywhere. Age of Sigmar/GW needs a unique selling point to generate interessant and to establish their own universe. 

Sure, the dwarfs had their own quirks but there isn't much interesting stuff left in their line without slayers and machines. 
You can't build a new release around "more of the same". Gloomspite gitz worked because Night Goblins and squigs, in this form, were unique to begin with, Dwarfs in mountains with heavy armor and axes are not. 

Grudges????????????????????????????????????? 

Archived