GHB2019 Hopes & Expectations

PJetski

35 minutes ago, Olincay said:

You're basically asking for a complete rewrite of AOS. 

maybe so, but the current system for battalions and arefacts creates imbalance, which is what most of my suggestions aim to fix

the double turn is something ive never liked as its too random and again creates imbalance due to the current situation of power creep. some armies getting a double turn is just devastating and soul crushing

the named heroes thing, as ive said a few times now, is something i dont nessasarily agree with but i feel it is somewhat nessasary

points per model, i dont really care for. i like how easy list building is with aos, but something needs to be done about the inconsistancy of warscrolls. things like the Vampire Lord-why would you ever take him without a horse or wings since theyre free? a different solution is to split warscrolls with options into seperate units with their own costs (like Stormcast Prosecutors or like the Paladin varrients)

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

maybe so, but the current system for battalions and arefacts creates imbalance, which is what most of my suggestions aim to fix

What is wrong with Battalion and Artefacts? Where is the imbalance? Most popular artefacts are from Malign Sorcery and those are something everyone can use

19 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

the double turn is something ive never liked as its too random and again creates imbalance due to the current situation of power creep. some armies getting a double turn is just devastating and soul crushing

the named heroes thing, as ive said a few times now, is something i dont nessasarily agree with but i feel it is somewhat nessasary

points per model, i dont really care for. i like how easy list building is with aos, but something needs to be done about the inconsistancy of warscrolls. things like the Vampire Lord-why would you ever take him without a horse or wings since theyre free? a different solution is to split warscrolls with options into seperate units with their own costs (like Stormcast Prosecutors or like the Paladin varrients)

I agree somewhat but as you  said in your original post these things are alittle grand for the GHB.
Maybe you can file them in the hopes and expectations for AOS.3

11 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

</snip>the double turn is something ive never liked as its too random and again creates imbalance due to the current situation of power creep. some armies getting a double turn is just devastating and soul crushing

</snip>

Double turn is part of what makes the game exciting. Otherwise it's too easy to have a situation where the game is literally over in turn 1 or 2. Even without power creep involved (as in it's the newer army that's on the back foot). The threat/hope of a double keeps the game going until the end of round 3 at least.

As for why you dont take the vampire with wings, because sometimes flying is a bad thing and vampires are kind of terrible at being assassins so you dont want them too far from your units. I dont like mounting my vampires on horses for similar reasons (harder to draw line of sight on a foot hero for the sniping spells/guns).

2 minutes ago, Eevika said:

What is wrong with Battalion and Artefacts? Where is the imbalance? Most popular artefacts are from Malign Sorcery and those are something everyone can use

not every army has access to battalions (or only have useless/overcosted battalions) to get access to more than one artefact

2 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

not every army has access to battalions (or only have useless/overcosted battalions) to get access to more than one artefact

Well thats just not an issue the with the general rules but an issue of not having a battletome for every army. If your army has no book its weaker than armies with books. Can't fix that in the GHB either.

3 minutes ago, Gotrek said:

As for why you dont take the vampire with wings, because sometimes flying is a bad thing and vampires are kind of terrible at being assassins so you dont want them too far from your units. I dont like mounting my vampires on horses for similar reasons (harder to draw line of sight on a foot hero for the sniping spells/guns).

the difference between on-foot/wings/horse should be reflected in the cost you pay though (the horse being on a bigger base for example also provides a bigger radius for his command ability/Deathless Minions and should pay for that bonus, as well as the extra attacks and movement)

6 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

the difference between on-foot/wings/horse should be reflected in the cost you pay though (the horse being on a bigger base for example also provides a bigger radius for his command ability/Deathless Minions and should pay for that bonus, as well as the extra attacks and movement)

I believe GW is fixing this type of thing right now. If you look at the Gloomspite gitz battletome the Warboss was split in to 2 Warscrolls becouse of equipment and the Arachnoroc was split into 4 warscrolls I think. 

Double turn is part of what makes the game exciting. Otherwise it's too easy to have a situation where the game is literally over in turn 1 or 2.

I've seen or been in many games that ended by turn 2 or 3 because of the double turn.  I think that a better integration of player-agency would be appreciated by a lot of people.  Standing there for two turns in a row doing nothing other than removing models is not a positive play experience.

GHB2018 was disappointing compared to past ones I thought.  

Things I'd like to see

• Battalions for Grand Alliances
  • Reduce the Allegiance Ability/Artifacts in gameplay.  This creates great imbalance (.e. less fun) when playing against armies with really good ones.
  • The narrative section should have a series of campaign battles instead of rough directions to create your own.

Giving artifacts points could be cool.  I would be lying if I said I didn't miss that from past editions.  

I'd like an index of terminology and simple impact on the game description.  I find myself hunting rules and it would be cool if at the end it had very clear concise sudo glossary. 

"Fly: can move over other models and terrain freely during movement.  Objects that block LOS have no impact on flying models. Pg. Xxx

Cover: Adds plus 1 to save it the unit is fully on or within.  Does not apply to models that charged or units that are monsters or warmachines with more than 7 wounds. Pg. Xxx"

That kind of stuff.

It would just be cool to have something quick, concise and easy to reference.

Also, flesh out hidden agendas and make them standard for all forms of play and useful in individual games.  I think they are an excellent idea.

Doubles play rules.  I'd have the points of every one of my units go up by 10 without a wink of complaint if there was a doubles play section.  I love doubles and having something official would be incredible.

A fix to Nighthaunt so they get their own rule for Incorporeal in which they cannot ignore vertical distance all the time (20“ high archway, they stand below and teleport right up), they have to measure diagonally if need be.

holding objectives should not only be determined by the amount of models in a unit.

magic needs be be buffed a little.

A logical order to where you can find what rule in the corerules (same for warscrolls in BTs) things seem to be placed random and you cannot find the rule/Warscroll you are liking for in a reasonable amount of time

apart from that no issues or wishes come to my mind

1 hour ago, Dead Scribe said:

I've seen or been in many games that ended by turn 2 or 3 because of the double turn.  I think that a better integration of player-agency would be appreciated by a lot of people.  Standing there for two turns in a row doing nothing other than removing models is not a positive play experience.

Which you are not since combat priority alternates. In old WHF the whole game was as you just described m: Feeling passive 60% of the time.

I like the idea of number of artifacts being tied to game size rather than battalions.  I'd accept points cost for artifacts as well, but that introduces a whole set of new problems.  Simply based on size of the game is awsome.

I really don't like battalions including so many things.  If you remove artifacts and command points from them (we already have a way to buy command points) then the points cost can come way down which would make some of the small battalions more useful.  It seems like it would be easier to get the points right if all they provided was the extra rules.

I believe that we will see some type of new (or expanded) mechanics for Units or  Heroes  using Artifacts of Power.

Imho, the Gloomspite Gitz Battletome is the first battletome that has been written with the GHB2019 in mind, and the Nikkit Nikkit spell from the Skragrott seems to have something behind its wording: A model in X unit can have an Artefact of Power.

At this moment, that's only true for Heroes, they are their own unit after all. But I think that we are going to see something new: giving Artefacts of Power to Unit Leaders (the ones that are explained in their warscrolls) or maybe Heroes joining units (like old'hammer). Switching units behaviour just using Artefacts of Power could be something awesome for the game (Arkanauts becoming awesome at melee, endrinriggers becoming a shooty unit, or Skywardens being an assault units). 

I can't wait to see what will GW do, but I really hope to see points for Artefacts of Power and not be linked with battalions.

As a whole

3 hours ago, Vextol said:

I'd like an index of terminology and simple impact on the game description.  I find myself hunting rules and it would be cool if at the end it had very clear concise sudo glossary.  

I second this. I want all the terminology in one index so I don't have to hunt through the book for a definition to something.

As a Khorne player, I want to be able to bank Blood Tithe points so I don't have to spend them all at once. Ideally we could get some allegiance abilities that don't have to be paid for with a quickly evaporating pool of points.

I really like the ghb 2018 so my hopes for 2019 are very small however I fully support the suggestion about number of artifacts being about army size rather than yet another bonus forcing battalions on us. 

However I also hope/vote for a point decrease on:

Hexwraiths and Beasts of Nurgle.

the beast models are loards of fun but only once have I fielded them in a matched play and their performance was poor compared to the price.

Also a bit of a price boost or something to keep DOK on a sane level would be nice. That is the one army that I do not get. Extremely effective,  fast, low cost and tanky battleline units. 

10 minutes ago, Greasygeek said:

Beasts of Nurgle.

the beast models are loards of fun but only once have I fielded them in a matched play and their performance was poor compared to the price.

Seen loads of people say this (and yes the models are amazing, I’m always tempted to buy them just to paint). I reckon you might see them get a rules rejig this year maybe not in the GHB but in a Nurgle vs Tzeentch box like the Fiends and Flesh Hounds recently had.

6 hours ago, Joseph Mackay said:

AOS is an inherently imbalanced game. The Mortal Realms is full of both massacres and improbable last stands. Not repeated stalemates and close won even contests. It’s all about the bombast and drama. Double turns and the dramatic swing they bring is part and parcel of the whole ethos of a relatively quick to play game of big narrative moments. Anything that reduces AOS to an attritional consorted contest of predictable calculation is going to kill the game.  That’s kind of what happened to Warhammer-there was nowhere to go either in game or in the Lore, if you broke the balance and status quo everything broke. 

They’re going for the Turn it up to 11 approach with AOS in both game and lore. Things move fast. Big narrative development. Armies with huge character.  More noise, more crazy, more identity. 

59 minutes ago, TheR00zle said:

update to the Tomb Kings compendium

/sniff RIP necrosphinx.

2 hours ago, Zamik said:

As a Khorne player, I want to be able to bank Blood Tithe points so I don't have to spend them all at once. Ideally we could get some allegiance abilities that don't have to be paid for with a quickly evaporating pool of points.

Sweet mother of God yes. And changing the meteor to not suck. 

8 hours ago, Joseph Mackay said:

He is paying for it by sticking out like a sore thumb unless hes accompanying a unit of blood knights/morghasts/etc. The extra inch and a half on DM and 2 horse attacks ain't worth not being able to bunker properly.

Archived