GHB2019 Hopes & Expectations

PJetski

What are you hoping to see in GHB2019? Here's my wishlist:

1. Seasonal rules. I think it would be cool if they added battalions and stormhosts/enclaves/etc. that would only be around until the next GHB. If they get popular enough they can be released in a permanent supplement, or added to the armys next battletome.

2. Stop reprinting allegiance abilities for the same armies over and over - Seraphon, Ironjawz, Flesheater Courts, and Fyreslayers need updated battletomes!

3. Replace Relocation Orb from the Matched Play battleplans

4. The number of artifacts should be determined by the game size, not by the number of battalions in your list. 1 artifact at 1000pt, 2 artifacts at 1500pt, 3 at 2000, and 4 at 2500+. The cost of battalions should be just about adding power/utility to those units.

5. "Monstrous Cavalry" kits that come with 2 models and a hero option (Dracoths, Pusgoyles) should have their minimums reduced so people can build the hero options without having an "extra" model in the kit. For example, Fulminators should be 120 for 1 model instead of 240 for 2.

6. More city allegiance rules similar to the Firestorm supplement

7. Massive Regiment discount for Kharadron Arkanauts

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

of your points I'd say...

1) As we're getting these in White Dwarf now (Hammerhands in next issue) I can't see them making the GHB.

2) Yeah for sure, though until they do...

3) I figure it'll be all new ones, no?

4) Not something I've thought about so maybe!

5) Again, maybe!

6) I think the Free Cities is something they could do something really interesting with, so I'd rather it just got it's own dedicated book with more space and thought given to it.

7) Peut-Etre!

----------------------------------------------

Personally alongside things like point changes and that kind of thing I'd like to see:

a) The Malign Sorcery additions, revised, edited, abridged, tidied up and combined with the realm rules.

b) The fleshed out new Skirmish rules included if we're still another 6 months/year away from a fully standalone game.

c) Maybe to go with that rules on urban/close space fighting of some kind and/or even just some development of the 'Darkest Depths' rules, just so Skirmish level games have a more impactful setting to be played in.

----------------------------------------------

Open Play and Narrative Sections; do something big with them (my suggestions below) or cut them from the GHB and just make it the Competitive Play Compendium.

The big things I would add for Open Play is a “Build Your Own Unit” guidelines, and a “How to Change a unit to another Grand Alliance”, like Death Stormcast or Slaanesh worshiping Daughters, or Destruction Beastmen. Really get away from the “You have to keep the story to follow the Mortal Realms.”

For Narrative, they need to share more fantastic stories. Those space bubble timelines in the Battletomes are a small prompt can lead to a fun battle, so give us rules that we can incorporate for each battle. Give us rules for taking a hero model and upgrading it slowly.

In addition, I’d add another section: The Campaigns, and include rules for how to setup and run Campaigns, including for Narrative games, competitive you vs me, Path to Glory (provided in more detail here), and Skirmish (Also more detail/expansion). On both PtG and Skrimish, these should become new ways to play.

some of these ideas may be beyond the scope of what the Generals Handbook can do but anyway:
-Battalions. lower the costs (where approprate,some are fine as is), remove the extra artefact.
-Artefacts can be bought with points, still only 1 per hero and no duplicates but otherwise free reign
-no double turn,roll off for first turn, +1 for finishing depoyment first
-all mount models that could reasonablely be built without riders (Carnosaur, Allopex, Leviadon, Fangmora Eel, Deepmare, Cold Ones etc) get riderless warscrolls
-rework the whole Battleline If conditions. some armies get units that are way too good to be battleline (Eels at current points) while other armies who have narrative to support a Battleline If unit dont get it (Dracoths)
-Free Cities allegience abilities added and maintained within the generals handbook until they do a battletome for it
-generic Spell Lores/Artefacts/Prayers for use ONLY by Grand Alliance armies or those without their own allegience abilities
-points per model,pay for unit and weapon options
-battalions have a fixed composition and the points are inclusive of the units in it
-named characters removed from Matched Play. i dont fully agree with this as i feel only a few are problematic (Volturnos, Nagash, Arkhan, Morathi etc) but its easier to remove them all rather than banning specific ones, however some armies dont have enough options without them
-open/narrative only. customisable heroes/create your own
-additional content for Path To Glory and Skirmish (new battleplans etc)

5 hours ago, Joseph Mackay said:

some of these ideas may be beyond the scope of what the Generals Handbook can do but anyway:
-Battalions. lower the costs (where approprate,some are fine as is), remove the extra artefact.
-Artefacts can be bought with points, still only 1 per hero and no duplicates but otherwise free reign
-all mount models that could reasonablely be built without riders (Carnosaur, Allopex, Leviadon, Fangmora Eel, Deepmare, Cold Ones etc) get riderless warscrolls
-rework the whole Battleline If conditions. some armies get units that are way too good to be battleline (Eels at current points) while other armies who have narrative to support a Battleline If unit dont get it (Dracoths)
-Free Cities allegience abilities added and maintained within the generals handbook until they do a battletome for it
-generic Spell Lores/Artefacts/Prayers for use ONLY by Grand Alliance armies or those without their own allegience abilities
-battalions have a fixed composition and the points are inclusive of the units in it
-named characters removed from Matched Play. i dont fully agree with this as i feel only a few are problematic (Volturnos, Nagash, Arkhan, Morathi etc) but its easier to remove them all rather than banning specific ones, however some armies dont have enough options without them

I enjoy the double turn mechanic, I would prefer more tactical use of the roll off like they did with predatory endless spells.

Please no point per model/upgrades.  The primary reason my group plays sigmar is because it isn't a chore to listbuild like 40k.

I don't think banning characters is a GHB thing more of a TO thing for tournament players.  For pickup games and friendly games I avoid WAAC players. 

5 hours ago, Gotrek said:

Sequitors up

Hag queen up

Grimghast reapers up???

Paladins down

Bloodletters down

Murderhost down

Vampire on foot down. I still thinks hes 20pts too high. Fight me.

Star drake down???

Better GA / ghb allegiance artifacts 

For the Grimghasts, The main problem is them with LoN. I don't think they need a price hike, but removing the max unit discount would probably go a long way. I'd hate to see them completely hiked, as Nighthaunt would suffer for the sins of Nagash. 

Overall, I predict we will see a lot of price increases for DoK, and some selective ones for Deepkin. I imagine Nagash will get a hike as well.

I am hoping for a lot of SCE points drops. SCE have a small handful of really good units, but most of the tome is overpointed considerably.  I can't imagine Evocators and Sequitors will stay the same price. 

1 hour ago, Tittliewinks22 said:

I enjoy the double turn mechanic, I would prefer more tactical use of the roll off like they did with predatory endless spells.

Please no point per model/upgrades.  The primary reason my group plays sigmar is because it isn't a chore to listbuild like 40k.

I don't think banning characters is a GHB thing more of a TO thing for tournament players.  For pickup games and friendly games I avoid WAAC players. 

i admit that i prefer the current points system, however it creates imbalace. an alternate solution would be to split different weapons/options into different warscrolls so the points can reflect the differince between them
-things like Ironjawz Gore Gruntas or Brutes
-Vampire Lord. theres literally no reason not to take a free horse or set of wings

banning characters is something i dont want to do as i enjoy running some of them now and then, even in tournaments. but some are just too problematic and should be Open/Narrative only (Nagash). some of them should never have been allowed in Matched Play

The main thing I want to see is for them to print both brand new allegiances and fix some of the old ones that are not gonna receive battletome this year. Let's face it, ever since maggotkin of nurgle, gw has put more power and emphasis on allegiance abilities/spells/artifacts and that is good thing but in ghb 18 they completely neglected to update various allegiances in that book, worse even, they nerfed some of them (skyre, wanderers, etc...). We know 99% sure that gw is not going to have resources to make proper btome for all existing factions or fix some of the old ones (I'm not expecting to see new bonesplitterz book this year for example) so why not bring them at least partially up to date in this newest ghb with some new allegiance abilities and spells/artifacts/traits and battalions. Ghb 18 was disappointment because it just didn't feel like an update, especially when it was supposed to carry many of these factions to new edition. This year, Skaven will likely be out, because they will most likely get their tome. BoC will also be out (or brayherds). And if fyreslayers/seraphon/ironjaws/fec also get tomes then what is going to be left on that book? They need to make the factions that are still in that book competetively viable and more detailed than they currently are.

Also I want to see new warscrolls. Gw shouldn't just use points to update factions because that just doesn't always work (for example, blight kings have had major loss on their value, thanks to all -1 hit stuff going around (they just missed the unmodified hit rolls-bus), but lowering their points to compensate for this would be insanity), they need to tone down more broken warscrolls and make some trash ones better. 

What I'd like to see?  4 booklets rather than one big book - one for each way to play and a separate one for pitched battle profiles (i.e. points).  That way if I'm off to play a narrative play game, I need only pick up one booklet and that (plus my battletome) contains the majority of what I need.

32 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

What I'd like to see?  4 booklets rather than one big book - one for each way to play and a separate one for pitched battle profiles (i.e. points).  That way if I'm off to play a narrative play game, I need only pick up one booklet and that (plus my battletome) contains the majority of what I need.

Okay, but what if I want all four? I doubt GW would divide the cost into fourths.

2 minutes ago, Ironbreaker said:

Okay, but what if I want all four? I doubt GW would divide the cost into fourths.

Opps, didn't clarify that!  I'd like all 4 booklets to be sold as the Generals Handbook - so one purchase and you get all of them, but in a more useful format.

17 hours ago, PJetski said:

What are you hoping to see in GHB2019? Here's my wishlist:

1. Seasonal rules. I think it would be cool if they added battalions and stormhosts/enclaves/etc. that would only be around until the next GHB. If they get popular enough they can be released in a permanent supplement, or added to the armys next battletome.

2. Stop reprinting allegiance abilities for the same armies over and over - Seraphon, Ironjawz, Flesheater Courts, and Fyreslayers need updated battletomes!

3. Replace Relocation Orb from the Matched Play battleplans

4. The number of artifacts should be determined by the game size, not by the number of battalions in your list. 1 artifact at 1000pt, 2 artifacts at 1500pt, 3 at 2000, and 4 at 2500+. The cost of battalions should be just about adding power/utility to those units.

5. "Monstrous Cavalry" kits that come with 2 models and a hero option (Dracoths, Pusgoyles) should have their minimums reduced so people can build the hero options without having an "extra" model in the kit. For example, Fulminators should be 120 for 1 model instead of 240 for 2.

6. More city allegiance rules similar to the Firestorm supplement

7. Massive Regiment discount for Kharadron Arkanauts

I like most of this but number 4 seems like a horrible idea to me. It would force you to play at least 3 Heros at 2k as otherwise you lose power and it would also nerf all battalions and make them even less used. 

12 hours ago, Joseph Mackay said:

You're basically asking for a complete rewrite of AOS. 

Archived