• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Vakarian

GHB 2018 vs 2019

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

Long time WHFB player here finally got into AoS with the Soul Wars release and the changes in second edition. Loving the game and the story now. 

As I'm looking to get my hands on all the rules, I have a quick question - apparently GW now consistently releases a GHB every year (yay, I remember the old General's Compendium from 6ed-best ed of old WHFB btw) and am glad to hear they're doing yearly releases of the rules supplement. 

That said, is it worth buying the 2018 GHB? When will the 2019 GHB likely be released?

I'm playing friendly games at the local shop, using matched play rules, but don't plan on playing in any tournaments, at least for a little while yet (only just starting painting Stormcast). 

Thanks and glad to be back. 

Edited by Vakarian

I would say that the best guess is GHB19 will be out sometime around June.

Personally if you're collecting Stormcast and just starting out (and don't have it yet) then I'd prioritise getting last year's SCE Battletome as that will have all the MP points anyway. If you have the Battletome already then I guess it depends on whether €25 (or equivalent) is a lot of money to you or spare change.

GHB18 does have some pretty good stuff in it, especially if you're into more open or narrative games and want some new tips, rules or ideas to play around with or (as isn't the case with you) you're playing a non-Battletome army and want to have the info on their Allegiance Abilities and stuff like that.

I'd say the best bet is for now just borrow a copy for a week off someone you play with, you'll either learn all you need from it then or realise how much use it will be for the type of games you want to play and then decide to get it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The GHB also has rules for underground battles, aerial battles, and gathering of might for huge points games which might not be reprinted in the next one. GHB 2017 has more involved rules for triumph and treachery and 3 player games so there is some use to it after the next one comes out. 

You dont really need it for what you've said you are doing and most other people probably have one that you could look through before deciding to buy.

• Thanks 1

Actually I would say, the Generals Handbook will be released in a timeframe between June and August 2019

• The first Generals Handbook was released July 23, 2016
  • The Generals Handbook 2017 was released August 26, 2017
  • This years Generals Handbook 2018 was released June  30, 2018 (it was quite early because of the new Edition).

An interesting point besides the Matched Play points (which you don't need the Generals Handbook 2018 for if you have the latest released Stormcast Eternals Battletome like @JPjr said) it also has 12 additional Battleplans for Matched Play and some Terrainrules

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys, everyone's answers really helped. It sounds like I'll put GHB 2018 on the list of books to pick up because of the extras, but I won't rush to grab it as I already have the SCE battletome. 

• Like 1