Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopHatCat

[List Help] Budget Army Lists from 2x "Start Collecting!" Bundles?

Recommended Posts

Heya gang, brand new player to AoS (played 40k and bit of fantasy). Looking to get started for roughly £100, so been looking at the "Start Collecting!" bundles (since can buy 2x for like £80~).

I'm just wondering which can give me a mildly viable list, obviously want something GOOD to start with, my only problem being I have no idea what's good or not since never played the new game yet haha! Soooo.... been looking at; (p.s. terrible at Battalions so prob missed possible chances)

Daemons of Tzeentch;

  • 1x Herald on Chariot (200pts)
  • 1x Herald on Foot (140pts)
  • 1x Burning Chariot (160pts)
  • 6x Flamers of Tzeentch (320pts)
  • 6x Screamers of Tzeentch (200pts)
  • 20x Pink Horrors (400pts)
  • Total: [1420pts] (Possibly spend last 80pts on a Monster or Chaos Spawn or something).

Beasts of Chaos;

  • 2x Great Bray-Shaman (200pts)
  • 10x Ungors (60pts)
  • 1x Herdstone (0pts) (*bought separately)
  • 10x Ungors Raiders (80pts)
  • 20x Bestigors (240pts)
  • 2x Ghorgon (400pts)
  • Total: [980pts] (Your kindof required to get a Herdstone but atleast they are cheap~ish!)

Flesh-Eater Courts;

  • 1x Ab Ghoulking on Terrorgheist (400pts)
  • 1x Ab Ghoulking on Foot (140pts)
  • 1x Terrorgheist/Zombie Dragon (300pts)
  • 6x Crypt Horrors/Flayers (320pts)
  • 20x Crypt Ghouls (200pts)
  • Total: [1360pts] (Leaving 140pts left to play with, so like 1 extra box of something).

Beastclaw Raiders;

  • 1x Huskard on Stonehorn (340pts)
  • 1x Stonehorn Beast Riders (320pts)
  • 8x Mournfang Pack (640pts)
  • Eurlbad Battalion (170pts)
  • Total: [1470pts]. Really not sure what to do here since feel like Battalions are super important, but 2x of the kit gives; 2x Stonehorn/Thundertusk (/w Forstlord/Huskard/Beastrider options) and 8x Mournfang Riders. So if anyone can whip up a better list that'd be great! (Might also look into the Braggoth's Beasthammer Battalion, that looks fun haha!).

Fyreslayers;

  • 1x Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (260pts)
  • 1x Auric Runeson on Magmadroth (240pts)
  • 2x Auric Runesmither (240pts)
  • 2x Auric Runeson (160pts)
  • 20x Vulkite Berserkers (240pts)
  • Total: [1140pts]. I also own Fjul-Grimnir & The Chosen Axes (140pts) which could be added in.

Sylvanteh;

  • 1x Treelord Ancient (300pts)
  • 1x Treelord Ancient (300pts)
  • 1x Branchwych (80pts)
  • 30x Dryads (270pts)
  • Total: [950pts]. Sadly leaves out 1 Branchwych but plenty to do here, you could also take Spirit of Durthu (380), Ancient (300), 2 Brancywych (160) & 30 Dryads (270) for a total of 1110pts and fill the rest in for 1.5k.

Lizardmen;

  • 1x Oldblood on Carnosaur (260pts)
  • 1x Scar-Vet on Carnosaur (240pts) (or swap for 1x Troglodon + 5x Knights for 990pts total)
  • 10x Saurus Knights (180pts)
  • 30x Saurus Warriors (300pts)
  • Total: [980pts] (Not the best pts wise but damn I do love Lizardmen :( shame).

Stormcast;

  • Stormcast Vanguard
  • 2x Lord-Aquilor (400pts)
  • 6x Vanguard Palladors (400pts)
  • 10x Vanguard-Hunters (240pts)
  • 6x Gryph-Hounds (140pts)
  • Total: [1180pts]... hm, kinda awkward pts wise... But since I already own them could also add Farstriders (100pts) and Steelheart's Champions (100pts) to the list for 1380pts then add Neave Blacktalon (120pts) to make it [1500pts] exactly haha. Otherwise could look at an extra unit of Vanguard-Hunters (120pts) and take the Angelos Battalion (160pts) to make it a nice 1460pts.

or

  • Thunderstrike Brotherhood
  • 2x Lord-Celestant on Dracoth (440pts)
  • 2x Lord-Relictor (200pts)
  • 2x Retributors (220pts)
  • 6x Prosecutors (200pts)
  • 20x Liberators (400pts)
  • Total: [1460pts] (There's also an easy possibility for conversions here too, like turning 1 Lord-C into Vandus Hammerhand, or a Relictor into a Knight-Vexillor etc, stuff like that, if it helped).

We also have the Battleforce Boxes! (Equivalent in price to 2x Start Collecting! Boxes, so thought I'd cover them too);

Seraphon Strikehost Battleforce Box;

  • 1x Skink Starpriest (80pts)
  • 1x Bastiladon (280pts)
  • 1x Troglodon (160pts)
  • 1x Saurus Oldblood on foot (120pts)
  • 6x Ripperdactyl Riders (280pts)
  • 20x Skinks (120pts)
  • Shadowstrike Starhost Battalion (180pts)
  • Total: [1220pts] but could also convert the Troglodon and upgrade the Oldblood onto a Carnosaur for +140pts making it 1360pts for the box.

Devoted of Morathi Battleforce Box

  • 1x Slaughter Queen on Cauldron of Blood (330pts)
  • 1x Bloodwrack Medusa on foot (140pts)
  • 1x Hag Queen on foot (60pts)
  • 10x Witch Elves (100pts)
  • 5x Melusai Blood Sisters (140pts)
  • 10x Khinerai Heartrenders (160pts)
  • Total: [930pts]

Idoneth Deepsurge Raiding Party

  • 1x Isharann Tidecaster (100pts)
  • 10x Namarti Thralls (140pts)
  • 10x Namarti Reavers (140pts)
  • 3x Akhelian Guard (160pts)
  • 2x Akhelian Allopexes (280pts)
  • Total: [820pts] Yikes one of the worst deals points-to-cost wise so far!


But yeah that's all the lists I came up with looking at the Start Collecting! bundles. But if you know any other roughly £100 lists please be sure to share!

Otherwise I'd love feedback on which of these could be semi-viable/reworked to be viable using the Start Collecting bundles. Thanks for taking the time!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've also recently found out the Lizardmen set is ripe for conversions if your decent at Greenstuff!

A huge big Thank You to this post!;

SO in theory I could possible, for 2 boxes, get...

  • 1x Oldblood/Scar-Vet on Carnosaur (260/240pts)
  • 1x Oldblood/Scar-Vet on Carnosaur (260/240pts)
  • 1x Saurus Scar-Vet on Cold One (100pts)
  • 1x Eternity Warden/Sunblood/Oldblood (140/120/120pts)
  • 1x Skink Starpriest (80pts)
  • 1x Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160pts)
  • 1x Troglodon (160pts)
  • 15x Saurus Knights (270pts)
  • 30~x Saurus Warriors (since own a spare box) (300pts)
  • Possible Total of: [1730pts]~ish Depending on which units we take.

Would this help me make a better list for Lizzies? They are defo one of my favorite armies so it's rather tempting!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TopHatCat said:

SO in theory I could possible, for 2 boxes, get...

  • 1x Oldblood/Scar-Vet on Carnosaur (260/240pts)
  • 1x Oldblood/Scar-Vet on Carnosaur (260/240pts)
  • 1x Saurus Scar-Vet on Cold One (100pts)
  • 1x Eternity Warden/Sunblood/Oldblood (140/120/120pts)
  • 1x Skink Starpriest (80pts)
  • 1x Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160pts)
  • 1x Troglodon (160pts)
  • 15x Saurus Knights (270pts)
  • 30~x Saurus Warriors (since own a spare box) (300pts)
  • Possible Total of: [1730pts]~ish Depending on which units we take.

Would this help me make a better list for Lizzies? They are defo one of my favorite armies so it's rather tempting!

 

I think with that you just throw in a Slann and its a good pile.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 1/8/2019 at 2:17 PM, chord said:

I think with that you just throw in a Slann and its a good pile.   

I've been building lists all day and this is what I finally came around too...

Allegiance: Seraphon

Leaders
Slann Starmaster (260) (Zectoka)
- General
- Trait: Arcane Might
- Artefact: Incandescent Rectrices
Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (260) (Ku-Quar)
Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (260)
Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160)
Saurus Sunblood (120)
Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One (100)

Battleline
10 x Saurus Knights (180)
- Blades
10 x Saurus Warriors (100)
- Spears
10 x Saurus Warriors (100)
- Spears
10 x Saurus Warriors (100)
- Spears

Behemoths
Troglodon (160)

Battalions
Sunclaw Starhost (130)
Fangs of Sotek (70)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 113


I'm originally had a Skink Starpriest in the list, but sadly ended up dropping it and 5 Saurus Knights for both my Battalions. Honestly, probably need him, maybe should have dropped the Scar-Vet on Cold One instead... But saying that, the Slann can dispell 3 spells a turn!! Sooo, that's pretty bonkers. Miiiiight be able to get by. But hey, here's my first real attempt and probably my main contender for the army I'd like to pick-up (or atleast what I can make for my £80~ stipulation, thooough do gotta add +£30 for the Slann n' grab some Green Stuff haha!)

Hoping I can get some feedback on this and all the other rough lists, it's been a really fun task looking at each Start Collecting! box and seeing what you can make with 2 of them.

Edited by TopHatCat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, TopHatCat said:

I've been building lists all day and this is what I finally came around too...

Allegiance: Seraphon

Leaders
Slann Starmaster (260) (Zectoka)
- General
- Trait: Arcane Might
- Artefact: Incandescent Rectrices
Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (260) (Ku-Quar)
Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (260)
Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160)
Saurus Sunblood (120)
Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One (100)

Battleline
10 x Saurus Knights (180)
- Blades
10 x Saurus Warriors (100)
- Spears
10 x Saurus Warriors (100)
- Spears
10 x Saurus Warriors (100)
- Spears

Behemoths
Troglodon (160)

Battalions
Sunclaw Starhost (130)
Fangs of Sotek (70)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 113


I'm originally had a Skink Starpriest in the list, but sadly ended up dropping it and 5 Saurus Knights for both my Battalions. Honestly, probably need him, maybe should have dropped the Scar-Vet on Cold One instead... But saying that, the Slann can dispell 3 spells a turn!! Sooo, that's pretty bonkers. Miiiiight be able to get by. But hey, here's my first real attempt and probably my main contender for the army I'd like to pick-up (or atleast what I can make for my £80~ stipulation, thooough do gotta add +£30 for the Slann n' grab some Green Stuff haha!)

Hoping I can get some feedback on this and all the other rough lists, it's been a really fun task looking at each Start Collecting! box and seeing what you can make with 2 of them.

With Summoning your slann can easily summon the skink starpriest.   Since this is from 2 start collecting boxes (right?) you can convert one of the skink oracles into a Skink Priest and summon him as well (or start with him and summon something else).  

I prefer the knights with lances vs blades personally. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would advise you against Seraphon,  yes the sets are great but you summon infinite miniatures wich means you need loads of extra points beside your list ones and the best units are behind extremely heavy paywalls

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bululu said:

I would advise you against Seraphon,  yes the sets are great but you summon infinite miniatures wich means you need loads of extra points beside your list ones and the best units are behind extremely heavy paywalls

Yeah this is what I've been told :'< It's deeply upsetting as they're easily in my top3 favorite Races in AoS... Do you think they might get reworked later on in the year? Make things less Summon focused/Make Saurus better to balance them out next to the Skinks? :(

Otherwise...
I did however also work on 2 more lists, using my "Start Collecting!" only requisite too! Been really fun theorycrafting for sure! Let me know if these are any better/if you can recommend anything else from all of the above.

Allegiance: Flesh-Eater Courts
Leaders
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon (440)
- General
- Trait: Magestic Horror
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist(400)
- Artefact: The Grim Garland
Battleline
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
6 x Crypt Horrors (320)
Endless Spells;
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

Total: 1500 / 1500
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 82

Again, hits at £80~ since it's only 2 boxes! Hoooowever....
The main goal of the list is for the GK on Zombie Dragon to Summon a Varghulf Courtier, and our GK on Terrorgheist to Summon another unit of Crypt Horrors, allowing the Courtier to support both units of Horrors (refilling it whenever any die/or refilling any Ghouls too), meaning it's +£22 for the Varghulf and +£48 for 6 more Horrors.... We could possibly get away with just 3 and just keep resummoning them when they die. But hey still not too bad.

Side-note: I'm quite interested in this list as a friend wants to split the Carrion Empires set, meaning I'd get the 6 more Horrors and some more Ghouls, so defo an option! But again kinda want a semi-decent army and not heard the best things about FEC.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Also worked on 2x Beastclaw Raider boxes as it works out super solid value wise!

Allegiance: Beastclaw Raiders
Leaders
Huskard on Thundertusk (360)
- General
- Harpoon Launcher
- Trait: Everwinter's Master
- Artefact: Ice Mammoth Skull Plate (or Gryph-feather Charm)
Butcher (140)
- Pair of Stump Blades and Great Cauldron
- Allies

Battleline
4 x Mournfang Pack (320)
- Gargant Hackers
4 x Mournfang Pack (320)
- Gargant Hackers
Thundertusk Beastriders (340)

Total: 1480 / 1500
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 140 / 400
Wounds: 79

Again this list doesn't run just by itself, having no Wizard is a huge downfall so we allied in a Butcher with Cauldron, All of it's buffs are fantastic to roll with our Beastclaw Raiders... plus combining his Troggoth Guts Cauldron Roll (Roll 2 on a D6, he heals D3 wounds and all friendly Ogor's within 14" heal 1 wound) with out Huskard's Blizzard-speaker Ability (On a 3+ he can restore D3 wounds to a unit within 18"), we have a weirdly good amount of healing. Not to mention his Voracious Maw spell is fantastic! It does however add £36 to our total just pushing us over £100 again. But you might be able to score some good deals on ebay or such, so none of these are a wash.

Side-note: Another list I'm really interested in since I already have a Butcher from my old Ogre Kingdom bits which is handy.

 

(Disclaimer: Huge Big Thank You! To all the people who have helped with these lists in the /r/AoS Discord with suggestions and advice, really helped!)

Edited by TopHatCat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rumor is the seraphon are getting a new battletome this year.   Honestly FEC are not much better than Seraphon although they are also most likely getting a battletome this year too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×