Maggotkin beginner advice needed

Damian

Just started with AOS (was a player of WH Fantasy many years ago) and will be playing with mainly Stormcast and Undead payers, so looking for some advice on where to start...

What i'm thinking -   3x start collecting box

Glotkin

Lord of blights

Harbinger of decay

3x5 putrid blightkings

I was thinking the Glotkin could move in with the plaguebearers, the Harninger could support the Drones and the lord of blights could support the blightkings.

Not sure how this would work in reality... maybe need more blightkings?

Yeah this is like 2500 points worth. Maybe start off smaller, unless that isn't your style.

The glottkins unique spell would be great on a block of 30 plaguebearers. They'd be hard to shift and make good bubble wrap for him I suppose. 

Lord of blights with the 3x5 bkings are great in the blight cyst battalion. Gives them all -1 rend. Really strong makes them very killy.

Got no experience with the harbinger but he has the demon keyword so is good indeed to hang with the drones. 

I would recommend a great unclean one. I love the model and he's a great support piece if built that way and really hard to kill. Tougher than the glottkins.

15 hours ago, Walrustaco said:

I would recommend a great unclean one.

The only thing is the GUOs command ability only works on daemons. Glottkin is best if there are a lot of mortal units.

Right now it's like Maggotkin have a lot of great base units, then some decent synergies but only from 50% of characters to 50% of units. Then the other 50% are only good for the other 50%.

So you end up with mostly lists of one type, even if a mix is in theory excellent (because units are naturally so good).

I like mixing and I am mostly punished when facing  other buff or synergetic factions.

6 hours ago, Turragor said:

The only thing is the GUOs command ability only works on daemons. Glottkin is best if there are a lot of mortal units.

Right now it's like Maggotkin have a lot of great base units, then some decent synergies but only from 50% of characters to 50% of units. Then the other 50% are only good for the other 50%.

So you end up with mostly lists of one type, even if a mix is in theory excellent (because units are naturally so good).

I like mixing and I am mostly punished when facing  other buff or synergetic factions.

can  you maybe elaborate on how and what you mix? i am more inclined to mix also, but since i only just recently started collecting nurgle, dont know where to start.

i was thinking of a strong base of blight kings, supported by harbinger and lord of plagues and that combined with some daemons;; guo, plaguebearers and possibly some drones.

1 hour ago, Patrick said:

can  you maybe elaborate on how and what you mix? i am more inclined to mix also, but since i only just recently started collecting nurgle, dont know where to start.

i was thinking of a strong base of blight kings, supported by harbinger and lord of plagues and that combined with some daemons;; guo, plaguebearers and possibly some drones.

I don't have any excellent lists in mind but some things ppl include in lists often are:

1. Combine the Glottkin with plague monks (or marauders with blades) for offense
  2. Combine the harbinger with bks for defense
  3. Combine blight cyst and gutrot
  4. Combine plaguebearers with a unit count of 30 (:P they really don't need much BUT a daemon hero - think herald - will give them a free mystic shield via their locus) for defense
  5. Combine any high attack count unit (perhaps attained by buffs - like glottkin and monks or GUO and 6 drones) with blades

4 has kind of fallen out of favour. Blades is very unreliable.

You can still do great if you focus on objective play but often you'll lack a hammer. That's why a favourite is plague monks with a glottkin.

I find that the things that you see in a lot of lists are: Gutrot and 5 or 10 bks; 30 plaguebearers; Rotigus & Festus

I love the amount of units you can include in a Nurgle army but I think the main weakness of the faction right now is that a lot of damage and great combos that rely on a spell cast and there are almost 0 spell cast bonuses so you'll rarely have what you need when you need it on the board.

I've been toying with the idea of an all mortal maggotkin for a while as I do like the models quite a bit but they really struggle right now. I imagine eventually Blightkings will change to triggering on an "unmodified 6" but for now they are in the unfortunate situation of triggering on a 6+ which is only a weakness since the army does not have any access to +1 to hit. Meanwhile -1 to hit debuffs are all over the place which utterly neuters Blightking damage output. 

Personally, I feel that if you want to be a competitive force on the field that you need to invest mostly in the daemon side of things. A GUO is going to bring far more value than the same pts in Blightkings, for example. 

PS: Don't forget to add a tree or two to your shopping list. ;) 

Archived