AoS2 - Dankhold Troggoth Discussion

Malakree

1 minute ago, 5kaven5lave said:

@Malakree

So if I was running 6 Rockguts in total would you run 1x6 or 2x3? I find the wording on the throw rule confusing - it is the models in my unit or theirs that affects the dice roll?

It's your unit, so if you have 3 models in then you would inflict d3 mortals on a 1, 2 or 3. If you have 6 it inflicts it automatically.

Personally I would run it as 3x3 since that gives you 2 50% chances to inflict d3 mortals. Since the boulder rolls are going to be used primarily for threatening buff pieces or super save units I'd rather have twice the number of semi-reliable d3 mortals than one source of reliable d3 mortals.

graph.php?q=b:0.5:6:d3:0&f=isr&s=graph.php?q=b:1:3:d3:0&f=isr&s= 6 blocks of 3 vs 3 blocks of 6

graph.php?q=b:0.5:4:d3:0&f=isr&s=graph.php?q=b:1:2:d3:0&f=isr&s= 4 blocks of 3 vs 2 blocks of 6.

Actually it looks like for killing 5 wound heroes you want them as blocks of 6 not blocks of 3 once you get to the point you are running multiple. So it depends how many wounds you need to be able to inflict. 

Spoiler

My initial list.

Heroes - 690
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General: Reroll damage with the Club
- Artefact: +1 to hit/wound with Club

Skragrott (220)
Fungoid Cave Shaman (90)
Madcap shaman (80)

Battleline - 1260
60 Stabbas (360)
20 Shootas (130)
20 Shootas (130)
6 Fellwater Troggoths (320)
3 Rockgut Troggoths (160)
3 Rockgut Troggoths (160)

Other - 50
Scrapskuttle's Arachnocauldron
(50)

Total - 2000/2000

Could also run Skragrott as the general but honestly don't feel the need to. He's just here to have the Arachnocauldron and for his pew pew deathstick.

Personally I will be running a mixed Troggoth list so I don't hit the critical mass of Rockguts where it's better to have 6s than 3s. If I had to choose I would also rather have big blocks of Fellwaters supported by multiple 3 Rockgut units as it just generally makes the more versatile.

So yeah an example of the numbers not supporting my initial instincts :D 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

I just noticed that the updated hag warscroll on the Forge World website has 16 wounds the updated warscroll on the AoS app still has 14 even though it has the new keywords. I wonder which one is correct.

The forgeworld one. The AoS app is frequently wrong and unreliable.

51 minutes ago, Malakree said:

The forgeworld one. The AoS app is frequently wrong and unreliable.

I believe the old warscroll when they went to AoS 2.0 they nerfed the hag to 14 wounds. But I guess it's back to 16? 

Speaking of FW, kind of wished the dreadmaw was GG. I mean it does live underground!

49 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

I believe the old warscroll when they went to AoS 2.0 they nerfed the hag to 14 wounds. But I guess it's back to 16? 

Speaking of FW, kind of wished the dreadmaw was GG. I mean it does live underground!

Dread Maw is indeed awesome but I really like how it can be used by all destruction armies. Would be a shame if it was restricted to GG

58 minutes ago, Eevika said:

Yeah but everyone can ally him. If they gave it Gloomspite Gitz keyword not everyone could ally it

Uh nobody can ally him because it doesn't have any of the keywords required to be allied. It can literally only be played in a GA:Destruction army.

42 minutes ago, S133arcanite said:

Mollog is here.

And just slightly to late for me to use him at the damn shadespire tournament occurring literally on his release day 😑

4 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Uh nobody can ally him because it doesn't have any of the keywords required to be allied. It can literally only be played in a GA:Destruction army.

Wow for some reason I thought you can ally anything in the monster of destruction compendium into any destruction army. Made sense in my head but I dont make the rules now do I:D

• Haha 1

Ok based on all the talk here and in other groups I have made a list I'm going to run in a one day tournament next month. It's currently looking something like this. 

Dankhold Troggboss 300

• General
  • Rageblade
  • Pulverizing Grip

Troggoth Hag 380

• Gryph feather charm

Madcap Shaman 80

9x Fellwater Troggoths 480

6x Fellwater Troggoths 320 

60x Stabbas 360

Morks Mighty mushroom 80

Loonshrine 0

This comes out to 2k points on the dot with 152 wounds. I think the list seems pretty solid right now but if you guys have any recommendations on what to change I happy to hear them

EDIT:Realised I dont have two artefacts with out the battlion

Edited by Eevika

1 minute ago, Malakree said:

Personally I would drop the gryphfeather on the Hag for putting an artefact on the troggboss.

I think that's because I personally over value some aspects of listbuilding compared to most other people so I'd say you're fine.

What artefact would you run on the Troggboss? Do you think Ragegrip is a good idea?

3 minutes ago, Eevika said:

What artefact would you run on the Troggboss? Do you think Ragegrip is a good idea?

Yeah I think either of the two aggressive options is hilarious.

If you take the artefact on the Hag then if go for a more defensive/utility trait on the troggboss.

33 minutes ago, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

Sequitors and Evocators/ with cats are extremely popular and a Troggboss with extra attacks will dumpster them hard. The great part about the 'Hands' build is the thing every competitive player loves: guaranteed results. At least on small models.

Yeah thats my thinking behind it too. I play a lot against stuff like evocators and Hexwraiths and such so just crushing one or two of them and breaking units up seems insanely fun.

Mollug round #2

Ok after getting a better look at his warscroll, I’m beginning to like him even more. Especially when standing behind 3 fellwater troggoths.

he’s got 8 health plus you can sacrifice his 3 minions to negate 3 wounds. Also the stalagsquig has a 5+ ignore damage, so it’s possible to mitigate even more damage. And Mollug regenerates  on a 4+, and has a 4+ save so he’s hard to kill.

he has a 12” ranged  attack (jabbettoad) that applies a -1 to hit to the wounded model. His spoteshroom companion on a 5+ can apply a -1 to hit on an enemy unit.  Combine that with some fellwater troggoths or some grot netters and you could shut down even the heavy hitters. I’m picturing Mollug in the center of a pack of 3 trogs holding an objective forever.

he also has a few other minor tricks including a bravery buff, spell immunity on a 4+, and a 5+ 18” auto-wound.

for 170 points I think I’ll squeeze him into my list.

besides he looks damn cool

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mutton said:

Hoping the Dankhold Troggboss comes down in points with the '19 GHB. He's not at all worth 300, especially with his average damage output, but I'll still use him because the model is great.

I'm not 100% sure on the Troggboss. His abilities are to varied and situational to properly get a read on him. Like the fact he just dumps a mortal wound on any hero within 3" of him at the start of the combat phase, or he can potentially just eat people.

I think I'd probably put him at 240-280 range myself, then the normal dankhold 160-200. One dankhold isn't to far from 3 Fellwater or Rockgut on paper.

I also want them to have a dankhold massive regiment discount, as it stands right now I can't see why you would take them in anything more than 1s.

47 minutes ago, Malakree said:

I'm not 100% sure on the Troggboss. His abilities are to varied and situational to properly get a read on him. Like the fact he just dumps a mortal wound on any hero within 3" of him at the start of the combat phase, or he can potentially just eat people.

I think I'd probably put him at 240-280 range myself, then the normal dankhold 160-200. One dankhold isn't to far from 3 Fellwater or Rockgut on paper.

I also want them to have a dankhold massive regiment discount, as it stands right now I can't see why you would take them in anything more than 1s.

I agree with around 240 for the boss, maybe 180 for the regular ones. Too few regular attacks that have randomized damage, meaning a lot of the time you're going to end up whiffing that D6 damage. The crushing hand is nice but can only be valued depending on what faction you're facing.

Dankhold Trogboss 300

Troggoth Hag 380

Mollog 170

6 Fellwater Hags 320 

6 Fellwater Hags 320

6 Fellwater Hags 320

Troggoth Herd 180 

Wondering if this is a good take I haven't played much aos but with the battalion I'd be 3 drops 2 relics right? 

I'm pretty down for mollog as I can also use him in shadespire so that's sick. I'm also about the hag but maybe I should get a cauldron?

Troggoth Boss 300

Troggoth Hag 380

Archancauldron 50

Mollog 170

6 Fellwater Troggoths 320 

3 Rockgut Troggoths 160

3 Rockgut Troggoths 160

Dankhold Troggoth 220 

Troggoth Horde 180

2 command point 100? / upgrade to another boss 80?

Edited by Shrouded in the Mist