AoS2 - Dankhold Troggoth Discussion

Malakree

2 minutes ago, Blutsteigen said:

Right on,  it is a pretty rad model.  I'm loving these list ideas.  a refreshing change from my Slaanesh.  Another question, since I have a moment and all of you are being so helpful -- can Troggoth lists still drop the terrain piece at the beginning of the match, or is that irrelevant to them?  I understand it can return units of Gitz goblins, so I am uncertain if we get one or not with a Troll General hero.

It won't hurt, but it's not all that useful as we weren't holding our home objectives anyway. If pure trolls can win it's because they left no enemies alive to take them.

Thank for your input Scathach.

On a different note, who is excited at the possibility of a low-model count Troggoth force to bring to a game shop, instead of the nightmare of lugging around massive amounts of 28mm models.  Most of the older blokes I'm friends with switch  to 15mm game systems eventually when they get long in the tooth, to cut down on clutter and hassle. I adore AoS so this seems like a good compromise to me.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Malakree said:

Mighty Beastcaller makes probably one of the best Big Hero hunting characters in the game. You have a 12 wound character with 4 3+/3+/-2/d6(rerolling) that has a 1/3rd chance to make Dragons, Bloodthirsters, ****** MORATHI spend a combat round soiling themselves instead of attacking. Please Mr Scarbrand, just stand there while I wail on your face!

There's a free cookie on offer for anyone who stuffs Small Morathi down their pants!

• Haha 1

Just to add to the Trogboss fun, you could take the Batallion with Gordrakk.  Giving all units in the Batallion 2 extra attacks with each melee weapon...of which the Crushing Grip is one.

So 3 grabs, rerolling all of them if you choose that Command Trait.  

The downside of course being that Gordrakk cannot be an Ally, and therefore you need Mixed Destruction allegiance.

Double Dankhold build (6x Grips):

Spoiler

Gordrakk 580

Trogboss 300

Dankhold 220

Fellwater 160

Fellwater 160

Fellwater 160

Grots 100

Grots 100

Grots 100

2000 on the nose

Gargant build (Triple Grip, Triple Eadbutt)*

Spoiler

Gordrakk 580

Trogboss 300

Aleguzzler Gargant 160

Fellwater 160

Fellwater 160

Fellwater 160

Orruks 80

Orruks 80

Orruks 80

2000 on the nose

*It could be argued that an ancillary benefit is that you cannot whiff a charge on the Gargant, because the FAQ defines a "Double" as a matching pair on 2D6 (not 2 or More D6). 

i.e. RAW it has to be 2 from 2, not 2 from any number.  So with the 3D6 on the charge you cannot trip over your shoelaces.

Could be a fun thing to try sometime.

Edited by PlasticCraic

@PlasticCraic The real Gordrakk GripHerd would be this.

Leaders - 840
Gordrakk
 (540)
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General: Crushing Grip
- Artefact +1 attack on Grip

Battleline - 480
3 Rockgut Troggoths (160)

Units/Battalions - 620
2 Dankhold Troggoth (440)
Troggherd (180)

Total - 1940
Troll Level - DANK

You could also drop the 2 normal troggs for a Gargant and a second Troggboss...if you HAD to make use of that artefact.

44 minutes ago, Malakree said:

@PlasticCraic The real Gordrakk GripHerd would be this.

You could also drop the 2 normal troggs for a Gargant and a second Troggboss...if you HAD to make use of that artefact.

You can only make troggoths battleline in a Gloomspite Gitz army and when you run Goddrakk you have to play GA Destruction

6 minutes ago, Eevika said:

You can only make troggoths battleline in a Gloomspite Gitz army and when you run Goddrakk you have to play GA Destruction

****** nuggets I knew I'd forgotten something. I'm sad now QQ. Gordrakk really needs to be given a special rule where he can be taken in any Destruction army without breaking allegiances.

He's Da Motherfuckin Fist of Gork damn it!

EDIT: 

Leaders - 840
Gordrakk
 (540)
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General: Sadness
- Artefact +1 attack on Grip

Battleline - 240
Orruks (80)
Orruks (80)
Orruks (80)

Units/Battalions - 840
Dankhold Troggoth (220)
Troggherd (180)

Total - 1960
Troll Level - Not so Dank :( 

Edited by Malakree
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Malakree said:

****** nuggets I knew I'd forgotten something. I'm sad now QQ. Gordrakk really needs to be given a special rule where he can be taken in any Destruction army without breaking allegiances.

I was really exited for a Gordrakk Troggoth list untill I realised this sad fact that it doesnt work :( It had the potential to be so great

2 minutes ago, Eevika said:

I was really exited for a Gordrakk Troggoth list untill I realised this sad fact that it doesnt work :( It had the potential to be so great

Technically it does still work and you're not losing "that" much from not having the allegiance. Rockguts love the Voice of Gork so much it's unbelievable.

Leaders - 840
Gordrakk
 (540)
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General: Wild Fury
- Artefact: Blade of Hammerhal Ghyra

Battleline - 340
Gitmob Grots (100)
Savage Orruks (120)
Savage Orruks (120)

Units/Battalions - 820
Troggherd (180)

Total - 2000

A more "reasonable" version of the list. You are still not using the second Artefact but the battleline is better. Wildfury+Troggboss is actually pretty dirty, it's not unreasonable to be getting 5/6 Grip Attacks which is unreal levels of filth, I'd go so far as to say it's strictly better than the command trait which lets you reroll the dice.

If anything I would say this competes with Gordrakkfist for best Gordrakk list at the moment.

Ok at this point I need to stop trying to make lists without the Warscroll builder. I mess to much up. The Gordrakk thing is just my desperately wishing for him to actually be worth using....

On a srs point though the difference between 20 Grots and 10 Savage Orruks is irrelevant.

EDIT: Wait...you would only need normal Troggoths for the Battalion if you wanted them for battleline.

Leaders - 880
Gordrakk
 (580)
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General: Wild Fury (Edited after @Melcavuk post)
- Artefact: Something.

Battleline - 240
Orruks (80)
Orruks (80)
Orruks (80)

Units/Battalions - 840
1 Dankhold Troggoth (220)
Troggherd (180)

Total - 1960
Troll Level - RETURN OF THE DANK!!!!

Ok, we're good. The Dank has been saved and this time it has even more Dank!

That's 14 Crushing Grip attacks!!! Oh and a few swings with the clubs, just a few.

Edited by Malakree

3 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

I do genuinely think that once the dust has settled with all the Gitz stuff mixed Destruction will start to come back into view for competitive lists. 

My big thing would be that Gloomspite really fills the roll that Mixed Destruction used to. Bonesplitterz without the 6++ are just bad and Ironjawz need all the in faction synergy.

The only reason to go Mixed Destruction is because you're running an Ogor focused list in which case it's not really changed that much.

2 hours ago, Malakree said:

Technically it does still work and you're not losing "that" much from not having the allegiance. Rockguts love the Voice of Gork so much it's unbelievable.

A more "reasonable" version of the list. You are still not using the second Artefact but the battleline is better. Wildfury+Troggboss is actually pretty dirty, it's not unreasonable to be getting 5/6 Grip Attacks which is unreal levels of filth, I'd go so far as to say it's strictly better than the command trait which lets you reroll the dice.

If anything I would say this competes with Gordrakkfist for best Gordrakk list at the moment.

How did the dankboss go from 2 attacks with artifact to 5/6 with Gordrakk? Am I missing something with Wild Fury?

Just now, Mutter said:

Wild Fury gives +1/+2 and Gordrakks CA gives another +2 once per battle.

I must have missed that for some reason. Could you give me the wording on Wild Fury? I get lazy sometimes and refer to 1d4chan for rules instead of getting books out. Saying that I don't own the Core book because.... reasons.

3 minutes ago, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

I must have missed that for some reason. Could you give me the wording on Wild Fury? I get lazy sometimes and refer to 1d4chan for rules instead of getting books out. Saying that I don't own the Core book because.... reasons.

When the character attacks you pick one of the weapons to get +1 attack with or if they have lost 3 wounds it gets +2 attacks instead.

So you can actually pick and choose your weapon each time you attack with them :D 

Just now, Malakree said:

When the character attacks you pick one of the weapons to get +1 attack with or if they have lost 3 wounds it gets +2 attacks instead.

So you can actually pick and choose your weapon each time you attack with them :D 

Ok I did not know that. Looks like I'm going mixed destruction then and continue my Fimir swamp army. I was brainstorming all the 'Hands' things I could think of but Wild Fury is a big deal. 1k Fimir and 1k Trolls.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

Ok I did not know that. Looks like I'm going mixed destruction then and continue my Fimir swamp army. I was brainstorming all the 'Hands' things I could think of but Wild Fury is a big deal. 1k Fimir and 1k Trolls.

Fimir Trolls with Gordrakk?? Something like

Gordrakk 580

Fimirach Noble 140

Dankhold Troggboss 300

3x Fimir Warriots 140

3x Fimir Warriots 140

3x Fimir Warriots 140

Dankhold Troggoth 220 

6x Rockgut/Fellwater Troggoths 320

Comes around to a nice 1980 points for a good swamp themed GA Destruction army

• Like 1

I'm not sure yet, but i'll want the Dankboss to be the general, not for lore reasons as the Noble clearly would be, but just to maximize the HANDS.

I have 12 fimir to work with and a Noble. This makes battleline awkward but then i was always going to have one or two min squads of goblins for objectives as that's just a good idea no matter how you spin it.

2 hours ago, Malakree said:

Ok at this point I need to stop trying to make lists without the Warscroll builder. I mess to much up. The Gordrakk thing is just my desperately wishing for him to actually be worth using....

On a srs point though the difference between 20 Grots and 10 Savage Orruks is irrelevant.

EDIT: Wait...you would only need normal Troggoths for the Battalion if you wanted them for battleline.

Ok, we're good. The Dank has been saved and this time it has even more Dank!

That's 14 Crushing Grip attacks!!! Oh and a few swings with the clubs, just a few.

If by crushing grip on the general you mean the Pulverising Grip command trait he cant take it because its keyed to Gloomspite allegiance, you'll be stuck on generic Destruction command traits (not the worst thing in the world)

52 minutes ago, Melcavuk said:

If by crushing grip on the general you mean the Pulverising Grip command trait he cant take it because its keyed to Gloomspite allegiance, you'll be stuck on generic Destruction command traits (not the worst thing in the world)

Crushing Grip is the name of the attack which Pulverising Grip effects. Both the Troggboss and Troggoths have it.

Hence the discussion on Wildfury over the previous few pages. It's an error in that specific list because I copy pasted it from several pages ago in order to errata. So in that specific case no I did actually mean Crushing Grip! I do admit to having a ton of gaffs recently though 😅

• Like 1