AoS2 - Dankhold Troggoth Discussion

Malakree

8 hours ago, Malakree said:

Yeah, do we know how this is placed yet? Is it within your territory or...that makes a huge impact on how good various strats might be

It is placed in your territory, more than 12" of enemy territory and that bshock immunity aura is wholly within 12" so it ain't that great for pure trogg, spider or squig armies.

10 minutes ago, angrycontra said:

It is placed in your territory, more than 12" of enemy territory and that bshock immunity aura is wholly within 12" so it ain't that great for pure trogg, spider or squig armies.

It aint great but it is free so doesnt hurt. You should be able to get the aura on at least a single home objective

So I'm looking to make a more competitive, less fluff list for the Troggoths.

Heroes 300
Dankhold Troggboss - (300)
- General
- Mighty Blow (RR d6 Club)
- Ghyrstrike (+1 Hit/Wound)

Battleline 1000
60 x Stabbas - (360)
6 x Felwater Troggoths - (320)
3 x Rockgut Troggoths - (160)
3 x Rockgut Troggoths - (160)

Total - 1300/2000
Drops - 5

This is more or less where I'm at atm, I think my issues are, need a couple of wizards, both for the spells and the potential to hold objectives. Could use a few objective holding units, right now there are some battleplans where it's hard to hold/protect all my objectives while also pressuring my opponents. I would like another Troggboss but I'm not sure it fits, much as I wouldn't mind another one with an artefact giving +1 attack on his crushing grip my god is it expensive.

So, first things first. I don't have a Hag so she's not on the table. I also think she might be a tad costly no matter how amazing she is.
Zarbag (and gitz) seems like a cheap amazing addition. He gets a choice off the spell lore (Hand of Gork) and brings a unit for 160 points.
Molog is a cute option but doesn't seem like what the list needs.
Fungoid and Deathcap shamans both look like solid adds.
Stabbas/Shootas are way to expensive for what I want them for.
More Troggoths is an option, I'd either grab another 6 Fellwater or 3x3 Rockguts
Squig Hoppers, Boingrots, Squig Herd or Spider Riders all seem like reasonable choices for bodies/space with varying degrees of cost.
Squig Rider Stampede or Spider Rider Skitterswarm both feel like good ways to get an extra artefact.
Troggherd is an option but it's expensive for doing very little.
I feel like I want lower drops so I can teleport the unit before my opponent gets the chance to block me, Potentially going up to 12 Fellwater would give me 2 choices for this.
What are peoples thoughts. opinions and/or comments for rounding out the list. I think I'm looking at something like one of these

Spoiler

Heroes - 330
Zarbag- (160)
Fungoid Cave Shaman - (90)
Madcap Shaman - (80)

Units - 360
(And Gitz) - 0
Squig Gobba - (160) Literally just remembered I have one now!
20 x Gitmob Grots - (100) oh yeah I have these to...
20 x Gitmob Grots - (100)

Drops - 13

There is the choice to drop Zarbag (And Gitz) along with the Squig Gobba for another 6 Fellwater. I'm not sure if it isn't shaving to much off the top though.

Hmmm....is this actually Dank enough or should it go in the standard thread.

Spoiler

Heroes - 250
Fungoid Cave Shaman - (90)
Zarbag- (160)

Units - 420
(And Gitz)
6 x Fellwater Troggoths - (320)
20 x Shootas (130)

Total - 700
Drops - 10

Actually think I prefer this option. Not sure if I would go 6 Fellwater or 3x3 Rockgut, just because I love the new Rockgut models! Slightly less utility than the other list but the extra 6 Fellwater do give more dank!

Man so many options to fill out those 700 points...man I'm really not sure. I'm an Ironjawz player damn it, I'm not used to having options 😭

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Malakree said:

This is more or less where I'm at atm, I think my issues are, need a couple of wizards, both for the spells and the potential to hold objectives. Could use a few objective holding units, right now there are some battleplans where it's hard to hold/protect all my objectives while also pressuring my opponents. I would like another Troggboss but I'm not sure it fits, much as I wouldn't mind another one with an artefact giving +1 attack on his crushing grip my god is it expensive.

So, first things first. I don't have a Hag so she's not on the table. I also think she might be a tad costly no matter how amazing she is.
Zarbag (and gitz) seems like a cheap amazing addition. He gets a choice off the spell lore (Hand of Gork) and brings a unit for 160 points.
More Troggoths is an option, I'd either grab another 6 Fellwater or 3x3 Rockguts
Squig Hoppers, Boingrots, Squig Herd or Spider Riders all seem like reasonable choices for bodies/space with varying degrees of cost.
Squig Rider Stampede or Spider Rider Skitterswarm both feel like good ways to get an extra artefact.
I feel like I want lower drops so I can teleport the unit before my opponent gets the chance to block me, Potentially going up to 12 Fellwater would give me 2 choices for this.
What are peoples thoughts. opinions and/or comments for rounding out the list. I think I'm looking at something like one of these

Reveal hidden contents

There is the choice to drop Zarbag (And Gitz) along with the Squig Gobba for another 6 Fellwater. I'm not sure if it isn't shaving to much off the top though.

Reveal hidden contents

Actually think I prefer this option. Not sure if I would go 6 Fellwater or 3x3 Rockgut, just because I love the new Rockgut models! Slightly less utility than the other list but the extra 6 Fellwater do give more dank!

Man so many options to fill out those 700 points...man I'm really not sure. I'm an Ironjawz player damn it, I'm not used to having options 😭

I posted mine a couple of pages back, basically I went with a Hag,  2 Fungoids and 100-odd points for the endless spells so I went magic heavy with it, looking forward to my first test game. 

1 hour ago, Malakree said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

You say Mollog is not what you need but I actually believe its Exactly what you might need. Its a very tanky hero model that comes with multiple bodies. It's actually a very good model for unit grabbing in game modes that require heros to snatch objectives. 

2 minutes ago, Eevika said:

You say Mollog is not what you need but I actually believe its Exactly what you might need. Its a very tanky hero model that comes with multiple bodies. It's actually a very good model for unit grabbing in game modes that require heros to snatch objectives. 

Mollog's mates count as a single model I'm afraid.

1 minute ago, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

He's good if you want to sneak in a Dankhold for their bravery buff when you can't pay for a full dankboi. He's also slightly more durable.

I think he is much better than most shadespire units and heros. I was thinking between him and a gargant but seems like Mollog is a much better choice.

34 minutes ago, Eevika said:

Well Mollog is still a very tanky hero to hold objectives and has potential for large upside with debuffs to the enemy

Most of those objectives require a "Wizard or Hero with an Artefact of Power" which he doesn't satisfy sadly.

38 minutes ago, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

I'm glad someone else caught onto the 'Hands' build for a dankboss using +1 attack artifacts.

He has two fantastic options, the +1 hit/wound and reroll damage for 4 attacks 2+/2+/-2/d6 rerolling 1s to hit and can reroll damage dice or +1 attack on Crushing Hands and the Command trait which lets you reroll it. Gives you solid odds to kill a 5 wound hero instantly! 

22 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Most of those objectives require a "Wizard or Hero with an Artefact of Power" which he doesn't satisfy sadly.

He has two fantastic options, the +1 hit/wound and reroll damage for 4 attacks 2+/2+/-2/d6 rerolling 1s to hit and can reroll damage dice or +1 attack on Crushing Hands and the Command trait which lets you reroll it. Gives you solid odds to kill a 5 wound hero instantly! 

It's the killing 2 sequitors or evocators instantly part that's the best I think. A bonkers army idea would be a unit of 3 danks with Gordrakk's command ability to make 9 crushing hands attacks, erasing infantry with 1 wound and a similar number of 2 wound models. That's roughly a whole unit of Evocators dead before they even attack, where they'd erase the next unit too with 15 attacks with their clubs. Combo with a full trogg herd and itchy nuisance,  I can see a one turn kill on some armies if positioning is good.

1 hour ago, DrDemento said:

What are the base sizes for the Rockgutts and Fellwaters now?   I don't quite trust the last GHB of 40mm and 50mm, or at least not the 40mm for the Rockgutts and the new pics look bigger than 40mm for sure

What I know both Rockgut and Fellwater are on 50mm bases now. 

Some clarification on the Rockgut Warscroll

I read the boulder throw again and it has the same wording as the Evocator lightning ability. So does it mean you roll a dice for the Rockgut unit and if it less then the amount of Rockgut models in the unit, you do D3 MW to the unit you target?

So if you have 6 rockguts in a unit you auto D3 MW any unit 12'' away?

59 minutes ago, novakai said:

I read the boulder throw again and it has the same wording as the Evocator lightning ability. So does it mean you roll a dice for the Rockgut unit and if it less then the amount of Rockgut models in the unit, you do D3 MW to the unit you target?

Holy ****** I think you might be right....I have been totally misreading that ability. Hmm that makes small units of rockguts less effective but makes them better at sniping heroes etc. I "Think" it makes the unit better but I could be wrong.

It definitely solidifies the two Troggoth units in their respective rolls, Rockguts are amazing at chopping down high save with reroll units and/or heroes while Fellwater is your anti-horde unit. Going to have to go and reevaluate my priorities.

Ok thinking done. I suspect I would still run Rockguts in units of 3, I'd rather have 2 shots at d3 damage on a 50% than 1 shot on a 100%. It also lets you split targets with them etc.

Also reinforces how annoying it is that you can't have multiple Troggbosses in a damn Troggherd, come on GW basic stuff here.

4 hours ago, novakai said:

Oh, bummer.  I read it to mean target unit (throwing boulder more likely to damage unit), but I fear you are correct on re-reading it. 

Whats peoples opinion on the Morks Mushroom spam strategy? Planning to use it in my troggherd list as a way to destroy the enemy horde units. So the plan is to 2 drop my army and choose to go second. I will Hand of Mork a Troggoth hag next to my enemy and then use her to cast Morks Mushroom to deal a ton of MW. Now morks mushroom triggers again immidiately at the beginning or the second battleround doing a second tick or MW to the enemy units. If I get a double turn as well I can use my madcap shaman to unbind morks mushroom just to immidiately cast it again for a third tick of the mortal wounds with out letting the enemy move his models once. Should pretty much destroy any horde unit in the game if all goes according to the plan.

• Like 1