AoS2 - Dankhold Troggoth Discussion

Malakree

4 hours ago, TMS said:

@Snowl, the Hag didn't have the Gryph-feather Charm, which  I agree would be a great pick. The Dankhold Troggboss instead had the Ghyrstrike for his club, which I don't entirely agree with. The 4+ extra save scares me much more, like I said, and the Charm on the Hag would as well. I think running the Troggherd battalion to get access to a second artefact could be a good idea.

The Hag got on the bad end of my Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon, fully buffed up. The breath attack took away 6 wounds before charging in, and with the Lord's own Dread Knight command ability (re-rolling all misses for himself and the dragon - such a good command trait for the model to have for itself) the remaining wounds went away rather fast. Some lucky rolling was involved, of course, but the lack of an extra save is really noticeable when you compare Stoneguts (or that 4+ artefact) to other Trogs. Two chances to remove incoming wounds really is that good.

As you can see below, it wasn't the nicest of situations for the Hag.

Image of the Hag about to have a bad time.

*Is there anyway to get this site to not shrink images you upload?

Yeah I feel like the battalion is super necessary, annoying it costs so much though =/ 180 points is literally another unit of fellwater/rockgut. But the option to have an artefact on your boss and the hag is just a little too good not to pass up, plus you can make a realistic 4 drop army giving you some choice about who goes first. 

I do like the idea of the Glowy Howzit on a Hag but that 1 roll to break it is a little offputtinng. A flat -1 to hit for the entire game to me feels better, at least more consistent, as an option. If you can identify a key target and get her engaged with them, being -3 to hit is going to make most units literally unable to get damage in. Factor in the shade spell from Madcap shamn and she can be -3 to melee and ranged, which is just great. 

Troggboss artefact wise i'm still unsure what the best options are. Seems like it's a direct competition between Rageblade + Pulverising grip for a great chance at insta-removing 2 models from a unit per turn or going for artefacts/traits that buff his already strong hammer. Guess it depends what you're expecting to face? Again, erring on the side of consistancy RageGrip build is an almost guaranteed model removal tool against almost any battleline unit.  Taking 2 sequitors out of a unit before even hitting them is a lovely idea... (not to mention if you have a Dankhold and a gargant as well, that's a potential 4 model removal per-round)

2 hours ago, Snowl said:

I do like the idea of the Glowy Howzit on a Hag but that 1 roll to break it is a little offputtinng. A flat -1 to hit for the entire game to me feels better, at least more consistent, as an option. 

FYI you can’t put any of The Gloomspite artifacts on the Hag, she pretty much relegated to realm artifacts since she doesn’t have the Troggboss keyword

@Snowl, I'd go with the Gryph-Feather Charm on the Hag and the Glowy Howzit on the Troggboss, since he's really pretty squishy without it. Only 12 wounds with a 4+ armour save and no inherent modifiers to hit on him, he goes down really fast when anything substantial charges in.  In previous games he's had the Howzit and that made him into a formidable roadblock, on top of his already deadly attacks.

Giving him a double squeeze would also be potent though, no doubt about that.

On 3/15/2019 at 4:40 PM, Skabnoze said:

He will be much better when I extend his legs a bit and then cover his back & head with crazy giant mushrooms.  

In the lore, Dankhold Troggoths change size to fit their environment - so any size between Mollog and the standard Troggboss should be perfectly acceptable.  It just needs to look imposing enough to be a boss.

8 hours ago, novakai said:

Almost finish with my Dankhold boss, spent my whole weekend painting him

Trog WiP

Hoping if I can finish my 2 units of Rockguts that I can try out the Trogherd Battalion next week at my local store 

Very nice paint scheme! you used a purple shade (maybe Druchii Violet) over the green base? Because some of the shadows look purplish, and it has a VERY nice effect! Can you please share the skin recipe?

thanks

AJ

1 hour ago, Antonio Rodrigues said:

Very nice paint scheme! you used a purple shade (maybe Druchii Violet) over the green base? Because some of the shadows look purplish, and it has a VERY nice effect! Can you please share the skin recipe?

thanks

AJ

I used a lot of wet blending for the skin and a bit of glaze medium for all my paint to get the desired skin tone.

I glaze the recess area with an actual purple (Xerius purple) to get the purple shade.  For the underbelly skin it was a mixed Stormvermin fur and Starken Green, then actual Starken green, then Druchi violet shade for the recess areas,  then a very light glaze of Rakeath flesh, agrax earth shade to darken the skin and then a bit more Rakeath to highlight the top areas.

for the top skin I use, stormvermin fur, dark reaper and nuln oil, and then a light touch of Thunderhawk blue for the highlight

Edited by novakai
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/17/2019 at 5:49 AM, Aelfric said:

In the lore, Dankhold Troggoths change size to fit their environment - so any size between Mollog and the standard Troggboss should be perfectly acceptable.  It just needs to look imposing enough to be a boss.

I don't care about fluff explaining why you can have a midget Troggboss.  I want a giant massive troll that inspires (as much as dim-witted trolls can be inspired) his brethren through his gargantuan hugeness.

The basic gist of it is that I have the standard Dankhold kit and will probably buy a few more.  I will most likely use the standard Dankhold fairly often, even though they are not the most competitive, because I like big monster things and they seem like fun to me.  If my Troggboss model is smaller than the normal ones, or does not quite match the aesthetics of the others then it is simply going to drive me bonkers.  We can do any amount of fluff hand-waiving but that won't stop my brain from being annoyed at the size discrepancy.  I get your point and I appreciate what you are saying - but I am old enough at this point to have a fair understanding of the idiosyncrasies of my own brain.  This is one of those things.

As another example of how OCD I can be about some of these things I own both a Mountain King and a Glacier King from Privateer Press from the Hordes model range.  I used to play Trollbloods, Mercenaries, and Minions in their games but I am fairly convinced that I probably won't play them anymore.  However, I really like some of those models and I would like to repurpose them for something I will play.  So, I plan to make big giant AoS Trolls out of them (they are already trolls after all).  The question is what to convert them into?  I recently purchased the Forgeworld Troll Hag model (still waiting for it to come in the mail) mainly because I wanted to examine the size of the miniature.  I had been planning to get one eventually as I like the model - but I am also considering converting the big Trollblood gargantuans into Rockbiter & Dankhold versions of the Troll Hag.  But, if they are a bit too big then I might shift gears and convert them into Bone Grinder Gargants.  I know they will be larger than the Troll Hag - but the question is by how much.  I can deal with them being a bit larger but if the difference is quite a lot then I'll do something else for variations on the Troll Hag and convert these models into something else.  The point being that these sorts of things bother me enough from a modeling & visuals point of view that I bought a Forgeworld model mainly to verify size.

Need some tips on how to counter a horde list.

I have trouble with list that has 100 rats for example.

I can use the mushroom endless spell but I feel that isnt enough.

I run 12 rockguts and 6 fellwaters in unit of 2x6 rockguts and 2x3 fellwaters.

I have some grots also but would like to try to figure out how to deal with them with only troggoths.

8 hours ago, Goose madness said:

Need some tips on how to counter a horde list.

I have trouble with list that has 100 rats for example.

I can use the mushroom endless spell but I feel that isnt enough.

I run 12 rockguts and 6 fellwaters in unit of 2x6 rockguts and 2x3 fellwaters.

I have some grots also but would like to try to figure out how to deal with them with only troggoths.

Fellwaters are the answer to hordes, they pump an ungodly amount of damage out against them.
Rockguts are the answer to tanky elite units, things like sequitors.

I'd say the big thing is that your list is tailored against more elite units, so you struggle with hordes.

EDIT: To clarify, against Clanrats with shields you would expect to kill ~20 with a unit of 6 Fellwaters in one combat phase, it goes up to 30 if you have a troggherd and include shooting. This then forces your opponent to IP for face a battleshock.

Edited by Malakree

Quick rule clarification because i'm a little unsure (and can't find offical ruling).

When does army specific scenery get placed? what happens in the event both armies have scenery?

Have an upcoming game against Sylvaneth so i want to make sure i understand how the placement of loonshrine / wyldwoods will go. 

Edited by Snowl

9 minutes ago, Snowl said:

When does army specific scenery get placed? what happens in the event both armies have scenery?

It depends on when it's placed. Some scenary is placed before sides are determined, ie. the nurgle tree. Others, like our Loonshrine, are placed after sides are picked but before deployment.

In the case of both players having terrain which deploys at the same time you roll off and the winner places theirs first.

1 minute ago, Malakree said:

It depends on when it's placed. Some scenary is placed before sides are determined, ie. the nurgle tree. Others, like our Loonshrine, are placed after sides are picked but before deployment.

In the case of both players having terrain which deploys at the same time you roll off and the winner places theirs first.

Cheers!

What defines when it's placed then? There's nothing in the warscroll about it's placement order. 

finished painting my 6 Rockguts, all I need is to do the basing

Rockgut.jpg.7855b7722661a66ce0ed50dd52a0448c.jpg

Trogherd.jpg.77d6fe04612d28d785e9b095c5069989.jpg

with that I got the basis of the Trogherd done, excited and optimistic to try them out tomorrow

I don't expect much from the Gargants but they are just there for point fillers for right now.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1